Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

HansDampf

Arcane
Does it bother anyone that you are running around in daylight in a Deus Ex game? I know, you could see the sun once in HR, but in MD it's everywhere. I thought Deus Ex was about wearing cool shades at night.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Extensive SquareEnix demographic research has shown that sunlight in games makes people more susceptible to micro-transactions.

nil

Cipher
Making these games take place in environments the main character is already settled into is probably the worst non-gameplay decision they made.

JC breaking into every place made sense. He was looking for terrorists right after an attack, or was on the run. Here (in both new games) Adam one day randomly decides to raid the whole fucking neighborhood and steal every candy bar and bullet he can find, hack every single computer, talk to every single person... (He can even slaughter every single cop at the police station. People he actually knows and worked with for years.)

Hengsha in HR almost works, but you are still backed by a huge corporations. In DX, Hong Kong was really the only "peaceful" (no martial law, no manhunt) "hub", and at that point JC had pretty much zero allies.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
JC breaking into every place made sense. He was looking for terrorists right after an attack, or was on the run. Here (in both new games) Adam one day randomly decides to raid the whole fucking neighborhood and steal every candy bar and bullet he can find, hack every single computer, talk to every single person... (He can even slaughter every single cop at the police station. People he actually knows and worked with for years.)
It's especially funny in your headquarters, where jensen just walks around and hacks all his coworkers computers (that probably contain classified stuff). At least that has one line of reactivity with it...

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Jensen breaking into everything including co-worker computers makes sense, too, because he is searching for terrorists, and anybody can be a suspect @ conspiracies etc

Sodafish

Arcane
Finished it.

It was a reasonable distraction, but story and character-wise it's nowhere near HR. In particular none of the characters or factions felt properly introduced or fleshed out, and you never get as strong a sense of motivation for your actions as you did with HR. Jensen feels far too detached to everything going on around him this time too.

It's still ludicrously easy, even on highest difficulty. Nearly all the new augs are useless, and there aren't enough new weapons (but three different fucking sniper rifles??).

Some of the art is really nice tho.

Overall 5/10

Last edited:

Polanski

Scholar
The more I read about this game, the more I wish someone made a proper cyberpunk RPG, with dark and nihilistic story, where a main character is more or less ordinary human (with several different backgrounds to choose from), rather than heavily augmented alpha male with model looks.
CopperDreamsLogo.png

Ash

Arcane
System Shock 2 matches his desires accurately in all but the "proper RPG" part, though it is RPG enough to be considered one in some form.

Andhaira

Arcane
Finished it.

It was a reasonable distraction, but story and character-wise it's nowhere near HR. In particular none of the characters or factions felt properly introduced or backgrounded, and you never get as strong a sense of motivation for your actions as you did with HR. Jensen feels far too detached to everything going on around him this time too.

It's still ludicrously easy, even on highest difficulty. Nearly all the new augs are useless, and there aren't enough new weapons (but three different fucking sniper rifles??).

Some of the art is really nice tho.

Overall 5/10

hahaha, you are comparing this to DX3 and finding it weaker?? Has the new generation of gamers already grown up?

I skipped 3 entirely because of my bad taste with Dx2 (which was mainly for the same reason as Thief 3 sucked ass; both were made to be compatible with original Xbox). Guess I'm gonna skip this crap also, even if it does go to bundle soon.

DX1 will never be topped in it's genre will it? I mean, it was more an actual RPG than a shooter; augments were secondary to character skills which you could develop/put skill points into that immensely affected your gameplay (ex: you couldn't shoot straight if you didn't have skill points invested in the specific firearm)

Latelistener

Arcane
System Shock 2 matches his desires accurately in all but the "proper RPG" part, though it is RPG enough to be considered one in some form.
"High tech, low life" isn't really presented in SS2.
But the real problem is that I have played all of these, and wouldn't mind to look forward to something new. Copper Dreams looks interesting actually, although it's still not what I want.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The more I read about this game, the more I wish someone made a proper cyberpunk RPG, with dark and nihilistic story, where a main character is more or less ordinary human (with several different backgrounds to choose from), rather than heavily augmented alpha male with model looks.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

I thought CD Project were creating their own game, not taking umpteenth genre cliches, throwing them to a wall and creating an 80s scifi frankenstein.
How did you get that idea? They've been pretty explicit about the fact that they're making a CRPG version of the classic tabletop RPG Cyberpunk. It's even the name of the game FFS. Expecting anything but 80's cyberpunk from an 80's cyberpunk game is silly.

Coma White

Educated
There is no reaction when you go into ladies toilet. Disregard fot DeusEx lore is absolute in MD

:trigglypuff: You bigot, augs have the right to exercise their gender-neutrality in public places just the same as us naturals!

In all seriousness though, reactivity like this is a victim of technology and economics. It's a LOT easier to spend time and resources to have a character in something like Fallout 2 lambaste you for entering the bathroom of an opposite gender than it is in modern AAA games like Mankind Divided. Sometimes the decline is intentional; sometimes it's a victim of progress. And, as Eidos Montreal has assured us, you CAN'T KILL PROGRESS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was probably just a stale joke after they already did it in Human Revolution.

Latelistener

Arcane
In all seriousness though, reactivity like this is a victim of technology and economics. It's a LOT easier to spend time and resources to have a character in something like Fallout 2 lambaste you for entering the bathroom of an opposite gender than it is in modern AAA games like Mankind Divided. Sometimes the decline is intentional; sometimes it's a victim of progress. And, as Eidos Montreal has assured us, you CAN'T KILL PROGRESS.
Considering how the Deus Ex world looks like circa 2052, "You can't kill progress" from Eidos Montreal sounds especially insightful.

Ash

Arcane
Lol, the intricacies of the original Deus Ex's lore is not something they give a fuck about. Nor that of its game design for that matter.

Just remove the "Deus Ex" from the title and people would be far more forgiving.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bah, the bathroom joke was inane in HR, they just threw a single line to Pritchard just for nostalgia's sake, instead of taking the cue and expanding on reactivity of the environment in general. In actual context it's somewhat creepy, because you didn't bump into anyone in the ladies bathroom in Sarif HQ, but then Pritchard suddenly told you about it, as if he is constantly monitoring the ladies bathroom. If they really wanted to make this a bit funnier, they should have provided Jensen with a reply with something like "I was looking for any cameras you might have installed".

I mean what made the joke great in original DX was also all the dialog with Shannon "Are you expecting a show?" etc, and then when she mentions you during a dialog with a trooper "this was the guy I met in the ladies bathroom" :lol:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Bah, the bathroom joke was inane in HR, they just threw a single line to Pritchard just for nostalgia's sake, instead of taking the cue and expanding on reactivity of the environment in general. In actual context it's somewhat creepy, because you didn't bump into anyone in the ladies bathroom in Sarif HQ, but then Pritchard suddenly told you about it, as if he is constantly monitoring the ladies bathroom. If they really wanted to make this a bit funnier, they should have provided Jensen with a reply with something like "I was looking for any cameras you might have installed".

I mean what made the joke great in original DX was also all the dialog with Shannon "Are you expecting a show?" etc, and then when she mentions you during a dialog with a trooper "this was the guy I met in the ladies bathroom" :lol:

Well, in HR it just got a mention, though visiting the place also gave you an interesting conversation snippet about Jensen, afaik.
And I thought Pritchard sounding like a perv was the point >.>

And MD misses the perfect opportunity to repeat the original DX line word for word, as you start to work for UN. In such work enviroment going to incorrect bathroom would be clearly unprofessional.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Lol, the intricacies of the original Deus Ex's lore is not something they give a fuck about.
They're probably planning to just remake it anyway.
Nor that of its game design for that matter.
:lol:

I actually went back and replayed some of it the other day on "realistic" difficulty.

Man, it has not aged well. Especially the AI which seems freaking retarded. I kill someone in front of their friend, run and hide behind some crate and a few seconds later, he's like "hmm, seems fine now."
How+i+m+handling+life+not+oc+found+on+some+fb_c448b0_5322593.jpg

Or the psychic security bot that knows I'm just around the corner after the turret I hacked starts shooting it. Or the giant level design that is ultimately wasted as the AI can't seem to hear gunshots not 200 feet away.

Or the dumb "vision aug" which is just a flashlight.

Or the fantastic side-quests like...um, nevermind.

I'm not going to say DX;MD was a perfect game, or that the writing was excellent etc, but take off the rose-colored glasses already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astral Rag

Arcane
PSA:This game is a keylogger

Straight from an Eidos employee guys, this game logs every keypress while its running and sends it back to SQUENIX for analysis.

Would be p funny if it turned out to be true

Of course 90% of the sheeple in that thread attack the messenger and defend the poor publisher :lol:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom