Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Mar 28, 2014.

1. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    They do actually, enemy accuracy & player health determines the ease of your escape/survival once spotted, energy rates determine how often you can spam regenerating cloak (such bad design), I'm guessing NPC health values plays into how long tranq darts take to put the enemy down, and the player health/regen plays into general actions a stealth player still does, such as surviving falling damage, motion sensing mines, gas traps and so on.

And yes, HR can be done without the cover system. Doesn't change the fact that the game was designed around the use of it (AI behaviour, no first person leaning, no light & sound-based stealth etc).

Lesser unrefined popamole that is good for what it is. Let us hope Mankind Divided is a considerable improvement.

No it fucking well wasn't.

Human Revolution isn't Deus Ex. Not in design philosophy, soul, uncompromising values, hardened perspective. Just because a corporation slapped the name on the box doesn't make it so.
    I'll readily say arx Fatalis, a fantasy dungeon crawler, is more Deus Ex in this regard. Regarding what matters.
    The only reason I respect HR a little more than Invisible War is precisely because it was made by a different team incapable of true greatness. Looking Glass showed us they were capable yet once it fell its offspring perhaps understandably (but still shamefully) sold out.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    ^ Top  
  2. Gnidrologistgender: ⚧ CONDUCTOR

Gnidrologist
    Parrots:
    And what does that has to do with the fact that you completely fucked up on factual things and even refuse to check an LP that proves it?
    Yeah, i get it. You prefer the original, when even on DeusEx you could rush through the whole base like rambo, taking bunch of shots and then simply cloak behind a container and eat few candy bars to recover the shattered limbs. That was totally genius design.
    Again. That was exactly the same casein DX. It was obviously meant for stealthy or at least rather discrete approach than going in blazing everything with a GEP gun. You had goddamn vents going from gardening shacks into highly secured and guarded compounds for no reason at all. Guys certainly didn't consult ventilation experts before choosing all the absurd routes you could traverse through them. There were crates and containers everywhere, not to mention exploding little boxes placed in convenient places. Guards were going around the same routes and completely oblivious to the fact that their numbers somehow magically shrink as long as you hide the bodies behind those conveniently placed crates.

Get a fucking grip and replay the game, because it seems some of you don't remember shit about, except the childhood excitement of having an awesome vidya on your hands (which having said everything above, DX still is, of course).

^ Top  
  3. T. Reichgender: ⚧ Arcane

T. Reich
    Parrots:
    I know that. But what you did state initially is that sneaking behind covers without resorting to wall-hugging is impossible. I have provided you with a link proving you wrong. And you disregarded it solely on the basis that the guy isn't playing on the highest difficulty setting. Which isn't influencing stealth at all. Therefore, your argument for refusing to face the facts is invalid. Therefore, your original argument that stealth in DX:HR is dependent on :popamole: is also invalid, regardless of what you say.

Regardless of that, I find your complains regarding the cover-based combat of DX:HR pretty absurd. DX series has never been about shooting stuff up, and DX:HR is no exception. If someone plays DX as shooter, that person is definitely retarded. Therefore, trying to fault DX:HR on using certain maligned elements of modern shooters is also retarded, because that is not the focus of the game and more of a convenience feature.

What's gonna come from you next - complaining about the lack of "proper" melee combat in the game? :deadhorse:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. T. Reichgender: ⚧ Arcane

T. Reich
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  5. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    Shut the fuck up and know your place, decline enabler.

"If someone plays DX as shooter, that person is definitely retarded"

How have you come to the conclusion that playing the game as a shooter makes someone retarded? That must mean you yourself have played the game as a shooter, else you're being a little retard and expressing opinions on what you know fuck all about (again). Either way you must be retarded, further reinforced by the fact that you are a DX:HR/popamole fanboy.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lovegender: ⚧ Savant

Love
    Parrots:
    I thought, that by now I had explained in detail what I meant when posting, that the game forces you to stealth in cover. I was wrong in my description because the player is not literally forced to use the cover system.

And what a fun that was! To finally got the skills maxed out and the assault rifle fully modified and silent. Blowing through the bad guys and sneaking by the unfortunate ones all in one session. No wonder the guys from Eidos miss those gray areas in their game.

Alright, I get it now. The placing of the vents in Human Revolution is a homage to the original game! And I thought vents connecting streets together was just Eidos going full retarded.

Please go on with your posts about 15 year old games today. I won't necessarily reply to them, but you're impressions of what must go through the heads of players nowadays sure is funny!

I really don't know how to reply to that, mate.

^ Top  
  7. Dev_Anjgender: ⚧ Learned

Dev_Anj
    Parrots:
    This is a problem with most stealth games though. As far as I know, the problem with doing this is managing what state the AI should be in, as it would be absurd if a guard went on high alert if one of his friends far away from his patrol route whom he could barely see didn't come back. Also this would hinder stealth gameplay, as a player would be forced to knockout everyone within an area as opposed to a few people in his/her way, or a guard who has a long patrol would raise the alarm 15 minutes after the player has got further in the level, making it feel cheap for someone sneaking around.

^ Top  
  8. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    Eh, I'd appreciate this behavior if done right. There's a game, I don't remember which, where guards communicated via radio and after a set amount of time if the guard wasn't responding a search squad would be sent in. I think it may have been Metal Gear Solid.

^ Top  
  9. Gnidrologistgender: ⚧ CONDUCTOR

Gnidrologist
    Parrots:
    It appears it's you, who wants easy popamole shooter, not the other way around.:lol:
    Game is bad, because it's not enough like DX.
    Besides, game is bad, because it's too much like DX.

[​IMG]
    (we nee :master: emot)

^ Top  
  10. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    It's a valid oxymoron. HR took things that it shouldn't have from DX (womens bathroom event, some dumbification notes from IW and the PS2 version of DX, taking the blue theme of IW and extrapolating beyond reason), and not enough of the things that it should (RPG systems, sim design, melee, no popamole systems, good level design, C&C, energy system, lack of compromise, general intelligence used when designing the game).

...not that you shouldn't be scolded for entering the bathroom of the opposite sex, but that was like the only NPC reactivity the game employed in Sarif headquarters, and there wasn't much elsewhere either. I find it insulting they'd open the game with "hey, we care about simulated reactivity!" and then for the rest of the game there's very little effort in this regard.
    Given the fact that this was one of few events it smells of half-assed uninspired fan service and a lack of fucks given. If the game was highly reactive and deeply simulated this event would be an acceptable one, to me.

But hey, I don't expect you dirty peasants to understand what I'm even expressing here, so I digress.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. tulusegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'm pretty sure Human Revolution has just as much c&c as DX1. Which is to say, not a huge amount.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    The only 2 instances of C&C in Deus Ex I can think of at the top of my head is not killing anyone on Liberty Island. And not killing anyone in Castle Clinton (which is bugged unfortunately, you will always get the "slaughter" lines from Navarre). Oh yeah and if you find a way to kill Navarre on the mission with the airplane, there is some cool dialogue with Gunther IIRC.

^ Top  
  13. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    :nocountryforshitposters:

Some replays are in order on the 'dex.
    There is an insane amount of NPC reactivity & differing events based on player choices in Deus Ex. Sadly it dampens out in the second half of the game some, but it's very impressive overall.

Here's one minor example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw1vUmfEef0
    If you don't swim in the canal beforehand, you don't get that back & forth.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Gnidrologistgender: ⚧ CONDUCTOR

Gnidrologist
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. bloodlovergender: ⚧ Arcane

bloodlover
    Parrots:
    But he is right. The game was designed with sneaking in mind, not killing everything in sight. Sure you could do it, but there was really no fun or excitement in it. Also, why so edgy? The bro made a valid point while your arguments consists of shit and insults.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. zwanzig_zwoelfgender: ⚧ Guest

zwanzig_zwoelf
    CyberP is a retarded agent of Eidos Forums who wishes to take place at Viktoria's tit, but since he can't into the same level of tongue-in-cheek humor and absurd trolling as me, he failed his mission before it even started. Yet he's too retarded to admit that he's failed his mission, so he desperately tries to win at least the lowest tit at the Eidos forums.

^ Top  
  17. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    You blew my cover, traitor. I never blew yours.

You believe there to be bias for the stealth playstyle in DX's design? Funny, because the opposite is probably true.

Couldn't the same be said for the stealth? Both the shooting and the stealth were underdeveloped. Stealth? That's retarded, just play Thief. Shooting? Doom.
    Sum of its parts; both playstyles are extremely deep. Neither is retarded. Not to mention at the time the only other shooter with any kind of depth, player agency, and superhuman abilities was System Shock.
    what's not to love about running around with superhuman speed & jumping capabilities (in addition to the other augs), upgrading your weapons with a decent weapon modding system unlike any in a real-time shooter at the time, and everything else that makes DX great?
    The only major problems with the combat were in the AI, which have been fixed.

Tired of the decline and its enablers. I'm venting like a true codexian retard, which isn't very smart because the majority of you are expressing opinions on matters you are not informed in. Just more shouting at idiots.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    And for fuck...how is "whoever plays DX1 as a shooter is obviously retarded" with no elaboration given a fucking valid point, bro.
    Are you all this retarded?

This is the codex. This is what this place stands for.

^ Top  
  19. bloodlovergender: ⚧ Arcane

bloodlover
    Parrots:
    Oh boy, whoever gave you those tags was spot on. I was about to make a wall of text and discuss with you but I realized it would be pointless.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. zwanzig_zwoelfgender: ⚧ Guest

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Are you sad now?
    Well, Deus Ex was about the possible approaches to the situation, and shooting was alright (sucky by FPS standards, but alright), so beating it as a shooter has its moments.
    I personally beat it on Realistic once while imitating Rainbow Six gameplay style, and I enjoyed it. Not as much as a stealth/mixed playthrough, but still.

^ Top  
  21. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    If you intend to go combat you begin the game mixed in style anyway. The accuracy system doesn't allow you to run & gun until further skill/mod investment, and the shadows are your best friend as you wait for the crosshairs to tighten.

Yes. Your tactful consideration of my feelings is too late.

Why were they spot on, bro? You're not contributing in any way.

If you want to discuss the game like sane, reasonable people, we probably need to not be on the RPGCodex. Look around. Pick a thread. Shit slinging, logical fallacies, trolling...general lunacy everywhere. It's seldom a place for sensible discussion.

^ Top  
  22. zwanzig_zwoelfgender: ⚧ Guest

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Not necessarily. If you're carefully planning your movement, you can easily stop using shadows and wait until your JC aims properly. There is also something that I've noticed about the game and I need some clarification on the matter.

You said you know a great deal about the game, so clarify the following for me:
    As far as I remember, player guns are mostly using hitscans, while enemy guns mostly use projectiles?

If enemy guns are using projectiles, there is a chance you can evade their bullets by leaning, as far as can tell. Or I was imagining things and my combat run through the Liberty Island without taking even a single bullet was just my luck?

^ Top  
  23. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    Enemies primarily use hitscan/trace weapons too. You have likely been mislead by the visual tracer effect. Vanilla (and even GMDX) NPCs have poor accuracy at the beginning of the game. Keeping your distance, using cover, leaning and general good tactical decision making puts your chances of not getting hit reasonably high.

You seem to forget I have worked on the game for nearly three years. Not to mention I've played the game numerous times using differing playstyle variations.
    You obviously do not have a clue, no change there.

^ Top  
  24. Gnidrologistgender: ⚧ CONDUCTOR

Gnidrologist
    Parrots:
    The example you showed is purely cosmetic and changes nothing. Ok, it's cool and all, attention to detail n shit, but to say there's ''insane amount of reactivity''. Well ok, if amount>quality for you, then i've digressed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. CyberPgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Possibly Retarded Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Trigger Warning Edgy Typical Modder No Fun Allowed Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Advertising plant
    Parrots:
    Where was it implied that that is my preference? Quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive anyhow.

Gnid, please. Fucking stop, else go migrate here.

Edit: fuck it, you have the honors of being my first. On my ignore list.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)