Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Alfons

Prophet
I read only a couple of lines. Reading about something that shouldn't be in the game at all...fuck that. I like his answer to "how do you stealth a boss?". For a second I actually thought the answer is going to be "sneak past him towards your objective".

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What we said is that through your social interactions leading up to a boss fight you might have talked to people, or you might have explored, or you might have obtained certain elements or means to deal with the boss fight. That's the kind of stuff we're going to support.
Killphrase? Killphrase.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DXTV - E3 Episode originally aired on Twitch on June 12th, 2015, just before the reveal of the first gameplay demo for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
Expect more episodes of DXTV in the future, giving an inside look at the development of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, directly from the team at Eidos-Montréal!
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is coming early 2016 on PS4, Xbox One and PC. #CantKillProgress

Some funny stuff in there.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Weren't there an old Jewish legend about a Rabbi who made a Golem in the Jewish quarter of Prague with his kabbalistic magic to protect the Hebrews living there? Is this why they're using Prague. and calling the mech ghetto Golem City? If so its a pretty keen metaphor, though I wonder how far they'll run with it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's what they showed on Twitch before the Comic Con panel was aired last week:

DXTV - Gamescom Episode originally aired on Twitch on August 7th, 2015. In this episode, the dev team goes over some of the new features in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, including a New Game Plus mode.
Expect more episodes of DXTV in the future, giving an inside look at the development of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, directly from the team at Eidos-Montréal!
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is coming early 2016 on PS4, Xbox One and PC. #CantKillProgress

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's good to see them recording vo conversations with the actors actually talking to each other in the studio. Separately recording them usually results in stiff, unconvincing dialogue.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

Wait, did I get that right? He's showing (at Minute 4:00) that you can choose a spot in the distance and the character automatically runs towards it??

Click and Go. Click and Go. Kinda like a Click&Point-Adventure, only with full freedom to choose the target location. How dumbed down is that... and yet I'm fascinated by it. Fuck off tedious walking around - click the target location and let the character run there automatically. It also perfectly blends in with automatic takedowns. This must be it: the 1-Button-Gameplay which I always made jokes about in the past...

Not saying it's stupid, in contrary it allows a very relaxing gameplay. Almost like watching a movie but letting you decide which way to go. And with more freedom than a railshooter or click&point adventure. But I feel a lot of upcoming games will try to adapt that "half-automatic" style.

Aenra

I am way out of touch with the DeusX franchise, only own the first one i think. But just looking at this video? Pass. Don't care how many gimmicks they will have added, or how well they will be implemented. All this akshun and pewpew only serves to highlight just one message to me, and not a new one either:

-- you're too old for this, not for you, not for you --

Once more, my sincerest deathwish to each and every one of you (present or otherwise) owning or having owned a console, a controller, or both. You have all helped so much in ruining re-defining those few genres that remained "relevant" since the early nineties. Whether you are aware of it or not, as plenty of time has indeed elapsed since..Enjoy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Kind of an odd thing to say considering the video doesn't seem to have that much combat in it.

Actually, the first Deus Ex has more pew-pew at the beginning than DX:HR does. :M

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Actually, the first Deus Ex has more pew-pew at the beginning than DX:HR does. :M
That's a lie. A ridiculous lie.

Deus ex opens with a short conversation with Paul, then opens with gameplay. You don't need to fire a gun.... ever?

Human revolution starts with an unskippable cutscene, followed by the lab getting invaded and forcing you to kill a dozen+ mooks with an assault rifle.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Human revolution starts with an unskippable cutscene, followed by the lab getting invaded and forcing you to kill a dozen+ mooks with an assault rifle.

You don't have to kill them, actually. You can use stealth there. Need to in order to get the no-kills achievement, I think.

Anyway, unskippable cutscene == not pew-pew. Island full of terrorists and "choose your weapon" right at the beginning of the game is pretty combaty.

T. Reich

Arcane
That's a lie. A ridiculous lie.

Deus ex opens with a short conversation with Paul, then opens with gameplay. You don't need to fire a gun.... ever?

You were saying?

Also, be fair and admit that this is not a first mission, but a playable prologue and a quick tutorial, which is roughly analogous to this:

If we actually compare DX and DXHR's first missions after prologue/credits, then DX loses hands down, because DXHR's first mission features a wholly explorable pre-mission area (with timed event influencing how the first mission plays out - C&C, bitch!), followed by an actual mission that you can complete in a variety of ways (including completely borking both of the secondary objectives), just like in original.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Anyway, unskippable cutscene == not pew-pew. Island full of terrorists and "choose your weapon" right at the beginning of the game is pretty combaty.
Statements like these just tell me you don't understand what deus ex is about. And I might just as well say "choose your weapon" conversation == not pew-pew.

You were saying?

Granted, that does work, which I was not aware of. However, several of the moves he pulls in that video would not be possible without metagame knowledge of where the guards will spawn and how they will patrol. It might be possible to do it more legitly. Still feels a bit awkward though, given that you don't have the ui indications for when you can move from cover to cover, and there's the "combat tutorial added" messages.

Even if I were to admit that that is not the first mission as you say I still find 'trons statement ridiculous, as that would make both games about equal., were it not for the fact that one of them directly and heavily incentivizes direct handling of the enemies whereas the other doesn't.

Even with the above concession, I still feel it is ridiculous to claim deus ex is more combaty at start. In one game, you are given a wide variety of tools, told to remember the stealth course and that as a police you should probably do your best to take them alive and in the other you are given an assault rifle with infinite ammunition, and reminders/introductions on how to shoot people (and nothing suggesting you should sneak through).

DeepOcean

Arcane
Deus Ex Human Revoulution is so much better, look, you can hid behind chest high walls and sneak through corridors, choices and consequences biatch! Yeah, first mission of Deus Ex Human Revolution is much better, sneaking through corridors but there are choices and consequences biatch, if you take like a very long time the hostages are dead, you know, and boss even gets slightly annoyed, yo!

Who wants to infiltrate the Statue of Liberty? What fag want freedom and a map that isn't a bunch of popamole corridors? Freedom is for fags! Stupid fucks, prefer decent level design than popamole cover shooting on corridors, cinematic actium and "choices" like should "I enter on the vent slightly to the right or the vent slightly to the left?" those old school codexian fags don't know anything, yo!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
FFS guys, who said anything about better or worse? I was just responding to Aenra's insinuation that DX:HR is some action-packed Call of Duty thing for people with ADHD, when it's really less action-packed than DX in many ways.

Actually, the interesting thing about DX vs DX:HR from an RPG Codex perspective is that a lot of the "90s shooter" elements of Deus Ex (large wacky levels, all sorts of creatures to fight instead of just humans, etc) are now recognized to have made it a better game, while the more "RPG" approach of DX:HR (experience points for everything) seems to make it weaker.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
FFS guys, who said anything about better or worse? I was just responding to Aenra's insinuation that DX:HR is some action-packed Call of Duty thing for people with ADHD, when it's really less action-packed than DX in many ways.
A statement which has been put into question more than once on this page, and which you have yet to offer any actual support for. But I guess lashing out at the troll is more important.

while the more "RPG" approach of DX:HR (experience points for everything) seems to make it weaker.
I really don't think XP FOR EVERYTHING is an RPG approach. Try mobile shovelware approach if you really want a genre that sees the need to reward every little action.

T. Reich

Arcane
Granted, that does work, which I was not aware of. However, several of the moves he pulls in that video would not be possible without metagame knowledge of where the guards will spawn and how they will patrol. It might be possible to do it more legitly. Still feels a bit awkward though, given that you don't have the ui indications for when you can move from cover to cover, and there's the "combat tutorial added" messages.

His moves are the result of certain foreknowledge, but it's also something that a regular player would also have, courtesy of a magical "save/load" feature. It's also fairly possible without rushing forward at the earliest opportunity. Finally, nothing stops you from making a run for it, stealth be damned, once you're close to the exit.

UI indications can be disabled, IIRC, and you can also ignore the one-button-wonders of auto-sneaking and do it the old way. Admittedly, it yields worse results (the wall-hug-button sneaking provides better cover than simply crouching behind objects), but it's not impossible, I've seen the videos.
Tutorial messages can also be disabled, or simply ignored.

Even if I were to admit that that is not the first mission as you say I still find 'trons statement ridiculous, as that would make both games about equal., were it not for the fact that one of them directly and heavily incentivizes direct handling of the enemies whereas the other doesn't.

Even with the above concession, I still feel it is ridiculous to claim deus ex is more combaty at start. In one game, you are given a wide variety of tools, told to remember the stealth course and that as a police you should probably do your best to take them alive and in the other you are given an assault rifle with infinite ammunition, and reminders/introductions on how to shoot people (and nothing suggesting you should sneak through).
What do you want, man, decline is everywhere. Anyways, I find the "combatiness" argument retarded in its entirety. All of the DX games (even that one that doesn't exist:roll:) could be as "combaty" as one likes. Just because you're presented upfront with one option doesn't mean you sjould take it. It's a Deus Ex game, man! Question everything, trust no-one.

Regarding incentivisation - while DXHR makes the intro sequence fairly popamole, it actually promotes the stealth gameplay more, with very fragile protagonist and hefty bonuses for stealthy non-lethal playthrough.
Plus, you're not police ("I'm ex-SWAT"), you're chief of security protecting the company from murderous attackers. There's no place for the "Stick with the prod" bullshit in such situations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom