Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Diablo169

Arcane
They showed him doing the super charge foward/teleport move in the very first CGI trailer.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
He totally teleported himself onto the ledge. Other people on the Internet are talking about it, Google "Deus Ex Mankind Divided Dishonored Blink"

Come on. I cannot believe this is a discussion.

Do you see the ledge? Do you see the Icon linked to the edge? That's contextual jump.

Which is a trademark of the previous game. Do you remember that you could only break walls in special places? This is the same shit. Get over it.

I don't need to search the net when it's pretty obvious.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do you see the ledge? Do you see the Icon linked to the edge? That's contextual jump.

DX:HR didn't have contextual jumps and there's no reason to believe this one will.

http://www.godisageek.com/2015/06/deus-ex-mankind-divided-preview/

Following this, the developers demonstration yet another new augmentation. While Human Revolution features the Icarus legs that allow players to fall from great heights without taking damage, Mankind Divided adds the Icarus Dash, which allows players to leap across great distances. In execution, it’s very similar to the blink ability in the first Dishonored game. The ability can also be used in combat to smash into enemies, like a powerful punch.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They showed him doing the super charge foward/teleport move in the very first CGI trailer.

They actually say in the video that he made a super charge from one point to another. I would like to believe that is different from teleportation.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

DX:HR didn't have contextual jumps and there's no reason to believe this one will.

http://www.godisageek.com/2015/06/deus-ex-mankind-divided-preview/

Following this, the developers demonstration yet another new augmentation. While Human Revolution features the Icarus legs that allow players to fall from great heights without taking damage, Mankind Divided adds the Icarus Dash, which allows players to leap across great distances. In execution, it’s very similar to the blink ability in the first Dishonored game. The ability can also be used in combat to smash into enemies, like a powerful punch.

Fuck this shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, since it's technically not a teleport, perhaps it will alert enemies that Jensen "dashes" by. (Wouldn't count on it though.)

Diablo169

Arcane
It's probably going to be an optional power like Icarus landing or the Typhoon was in the first game. I never even used the Typhoon in the first game so meh.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Why is this a big deal again?
Because when DX copies good games it is shit, cuz WHERES DA ORIGINALITY?
When DX tries to be original it's shit, cuz NOT FAITHFUL TO SERIES!
When it tries anything in between it's shit, cuz EVERYTHING IS SHIT BECOZE WE'RE CODEX, BRO!

Last edited:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Looks great.

Or at least, great in the same way DXHR was great.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, in the new vid the gameplay itself looks pretty decent, on-par with DX:HR.
I don't particularly like the new hacking (2.0) interface, but I can live with that.
A larger emphasis on combat is questionable, but whatever (atm).

What really rubbed me the wrong way though is the whole premise and exposition, which is very derpy:
1. Meeting a contact from an ostensibly secret society in a crowded train station in one of the most retarded was possible (durr, let me help you pick up that stuff, and then we shall walk together and discuss stuff in an agitated way).
2. Doing the exposition talk-and-walk in a crowded train station, discussing dodgy stuff and dropping names in full voice, while being two obviosuly augmented people, within earshot of dozens of jumpy policemen in a public area where everything is obviously monitored and recorded (and probably analysed later, or on the fly).
3. The overtly conspicuous "sneaky" mech in a hoodie that passes them by, whose appearance and behaviour just screams "detain me!" given the backdrop.
4. A crowded train station has how many policemen stationed? I swear. It looks like the traveller/police ratio is 1:1. How much would that cost to maintain such a force (well-equipped with body armor, mecha suits, and various other toys)? Is Czech budget in 2029 that good?:lol: How large is that police force in Prague anyway? Did the government sed everyone to monitor this one train station?
5. And for all that, they still fail to stop a bomb from goin off right in the middle of it all.
6. And then you just fly in a den of iniquity and go on a sorta-stealth mission by simply being dropped off "anywhere close to the ground". Nice tactical choice, Jensen!

Totally plausible and not retarded at all.

bloodlover

Arcane
Looks great so far, at least as far as following HRs footsteps goes. I am not too excited about the new killing perk since I always play this game stealthy so I hope there is a some kind of alternative to it. The interiors look great and I hope there is more to the levels than what they show here. The combat is very crappy but then again I was never a fan of gluing your spinal cord to the wall gameplay.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Still looks like shit. Literally. Like he crawls around in a giant garbage dump.

Alfons

Prophet
- Starting a 25 minute demo with a 7 minute cutscene.
- No piss monochrome, that's nice.
- Breaking mechanical locks with your fists. Maybe it makes noise or requires an aug, otherwise what's the point. I like it though, HR has an electronic lock for every single room, and the minigame is tedious.
- Emp ammo, cool.
- Ah, there's the yellow...
- Multi homing taser and dishonored blink.
- Melee animations are back.
- Remote hacking, similar to the hack tool from Bioshock 2. Simple and fast, a major improvement over HR.
- Shooting out hidden arm blades a la Assasins Creed X.
- Power slam seems to permanently knock out enemies as opposed to knocking them down.
- *Sigh* Hacking is back, with a 3d isometric interface. The "FOV' seems worse than in HR.
- Breaking through walls fans.
- Wallhack, appeared earlieer too.
- Exploding shrapnel hidden arm blades.
- Gears of war vault to cover.
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist corner takedowns.
- Crysis armor.
- Combat rifle still seems anemic.
- Jensen seems to take around 5-10 percent damage per bullet.
- Emp nades don't make turrets instantly explode, maybe there's a point in having a rocket launcher now.
- Oh yeah, no more individual energy cells, there's just a single energy meter.
- I skipped the cutscene.
- Takedown through walls has a non-lethal option now.
- Adama can fire PEPS blasts from his arms now.
- Blink tackle puts enemies in slow motion fly away, like the slide kick from Bulletstorm.
- Slow motion.
- Charged up PEPS shot I think, seems powerful.

That's all I spotted as far as gameplay is concerned. Some general thoughts: In HR when the actual shooting started augs rarely came into play, it seems like they intend to rectify that by turning some HR weapons into augs, namely the taser, the PEPS, and the crossbow, the sticky grenade launcher is a new addition. I wasn't watching the energy meter very closely so all this shit might not play out like in the demo, these things might cost a lot of energy to use. Another thing is the radial menu for gear selection, it might just be a console thing, but I kept thinking about the inventory downgrade that happened from RE4 to RE5, mainly because they probably eliminated 3 weapons already. Overall I liked it, seemed much better than HR to me.

Love

Cipher
The demo started to annoy me early on, when they took 5 minutes to cover the 30 meters from the train to the station before I realized it was just the intro. It didn't really intrigue me and neither did the developer's comments about the Illuminati.

The augmentations don't seem to be too original with it's certain variations of added weapons, but the Icarus Dash could work, if the levels provide for it. Cutting corners with the jumping augmentations already seems to be a good investment again and it doesn't even alarm enemies.
The art direction is a bit disappointing again. I don't know what the theme of the level was supposed to be, after we already got a preview at how a Prague integrated in that modern time could look but what's up with that demo location? It's just busily stuffed in some strange architectural choices.

Combat looks like they've gone full blown popamole now with bullet time augmentation and cover switching commandos. What disappoints me the most are the augmented enemies, which sometimes get a special entrance thanks to their mechanical kangaroo legs, but than just behave like the usual video game thugs.
Hacking has evolved, but what is up with those social battles? Did I miss some clever marker there or something? I guess it's not that important, since the guy dies anyway...

No, there is no hype left for this installment.

Siobhan

Arbiter
Watching the demo is rather disheartening. I can't help but be reminded of the disappointment that was Star Trek Into Darkness. The first nu-Trek was a convoluted, insultingly stupid rollercoaster ride, but the casting was spot on and it felt like a solid foundation for a good sequel. But instead Into Darkness jettisoned the good parts and cranked all the stupid shit up to 11.

The main reason I found DXHR decidely meh was its level design, but it also suffered from

1) underdeveloped itemization (no lockpicks, multitools, rebreathers, hazmat suits, armor, thermoptic camo, let alone rarely used stuff like fire extinguishers or flares),
2) little variety in enemies (no animals, little differentiation between goons, few robots),
3) too much emphasis on story with overly drawn out conversations (as somebody aptly pointed out in this thread, DX starts you on a dock, gives you a choice of weapon and sends you on your merry way; DXHR has you stroll through an office complex chatting up your colleagues),
4) no mods.

1, 2 and 4 don't seem to be on their radar at all, while 3 has even been expanded on with 5 minute (unskippable?) cutscenes. Not sure about the level design, that's hard to judge from a single run --- it didn't look too impressive, but maybe there are a hundred alternate paths and secret nooks and crannies that they skipped (in dubio pro reo). Stealth seems to have been even more trivialized with a million of gadgets, some of which are directly lifted from Arkham Asylum (another meh game).

Also, I loath modern UI conventions. How is it good design that a number constantly zigzags around in the middle of your screen? And why are the elements in the corner angled as if they were painted on a fishbowl? Fucking rule of kewl.

tl;dr I'm an oldfag who can't get into what kids nowadays want in their games, but I'm still too young to accept that and instead waste my time whining on a cRPG forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom