Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Criticism based on this video only, and I'm not going to repeat myself from previous rants:

1. Aannd we've got a slow time aug. :roll:
2. XP progress bar at the top of the screen/HUD. :lol:
3. Environments still don't look very interactive.
4. The muzzle flash of the assault rifle looks a bit odd. Could just be me.
5. Energy regenerates really fucking fast. Could be determined by difficulty level. Any energy regen at all + Slow time is just as dumb as the regenerating cloaking in DX:HR.
6. XP is still rewarded for minor tasks such as kills and headshots. Hopefully there is no non-lethal bias at the very least.
7. Really not a fan of the bland ammo counters being universal to seemingly every gun.

Praise:

1. Visually the game looks really fucking good, and no/minimal piss filter.
2. Object highlighting is a little more subtle.
3. Gun handling and responsiveness looks improved over HR a little.
4. Arm blade launcher looks cool, if balanced right.
5. ......

Not Deus Ex. The future of Deus Ex as it should have been, at least in terms of everything except plot, is in my hands, like it or loathe it. In can be in yours too (SDK) providing you know what you are doing, have talent and aren't a filthy mole popper. Well, you need a hell of a lot of things really, but I digress.

Join me, I could use some extra hands on deck.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Significant enough. Deus Ex was his design vision. I don't think he was very involved with the little details, especially that of systems as he isn't a programmer and stated he hates the production period of game development, but the core concepts and values were his (and Looking Glass') alone. I'm certain he pushed hard for the deep C&C that has eluded many here also.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Significant enough. Deus Ex was his design vision. I don't think he was very involved with the little details, especially that of systems as he isn't a programmer and stated he hates the production period of game development, but the core concepts and values were his alone. I'm certain he pushed hard for the deep C&C that has eluded many here also.
I have a feeling we are operating with different levels of information.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
What are the source/s of your information?

Mine comes from working with the code, Spector himself stating he doesn't program, and Spector's design document as well as his older ones dating back to just after the release of System Shock. His general demeanor points at design; his game dev lectures and academic work, interviews and so on. He was very involved, unless he's been living a lie. Deus Ex was "his dream game".

I've no idea why I occasionally see comments along these lines. Just because what he does now is nothing like DX, System Shock or Ultima Underworld, doesn't mean he wasn't a massive part of that evolution.

Additionally, as the producer of DX very little would have got past him.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
All that hard work & pushed potential of the engine programmers to be wasted on shitty game design. :lol:
SSDD in the game industry.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Gameplay demo:

Guhw... gameplay looks like shit. Typical console covershooter. Even though there are certainly more interesting parts in the game, it forecasts a shadow when they only show the most shitty banal piece of gameplay. Covershooter, Duck & Go, Stand-Up & Kill stupid enemy behind desk... who the hell invented this shit anyways? It's everywhere: Gears of War, The Order, Mass Effect, DeusEx:HR...

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, it seemed to me that the gameplay demo was showcased on a console - why would they use a gamepad otherwise? Plus the whole inventory system that was shown just screamed "optimised for consoletards!".

The gameplay vid is on-par with what the Beth cunts are doing with Doom and FO4. As in complete crap.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole game was simplified the same way FO4 got - removal of gameplay features that made the series in the first play, with them being replaced by the modern shooter crap "features".

So far, I'm pretty pessimistic towards what the game could become.

praetor

Arcane
if grid inventory is gone that's some major :decline:

gameplay demo didn't inspire much confidence, but it was only combat (popamole at that) so whatever. again first thing to do is unbind the cover key. energy drain seems waaay too slow, but that might be "demo easy mode", we'll see. didn't see him getting XP for sneaking through an airduct, so that's at least some minor incline (hopefully with better level design and less "stealth mode airducts")

i remain cautionusly optimistic

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I really don't understand why in all these demos they use controllers over keyboard and mouse. Actually wait...it's probably to show the best visuals possible while misleading console owners into thinking it's being played on a console, so they assume the visuals aren't scaled down. So much sly fuckery in these conventions. They wonder why people have such negative attitudes, when the entire industry cultivates to it.

Declinator

Arbiter
Covershooter, Duck & Go, Stand-Up & Kill stupid enemy behind desk... who the hell invented this shit anyways? It's everywhere: Gears of War, The Order, Mass Effect, DeusEx:HR...

As I understand it, Chris Esaki is the perpetrator. Lead designer of kill.switch (2003) which laid the foundations for the cover system of today and then later moved on to work on Gears of War, the game that made it mass-market.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I really don't understand why in all these demos they use controllers over keyboard and mouse. Actually wait...it's probably to show the best visuals possible while misleading console owners into thinking it's being played on a console, so they assume the visuals aren't scaled down. So much sly fuckery in these conventions. They wonder why people have such negative attitudes, when the entire industry cultivates to it.

I have this assumption that a vast majority of people, including developers prefer playing with a controller.

I guess it's a gimmick thing as well, you know your biggest market is the console market so you want to appeal to that audience.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I wouldn't be surprised if the whole game was simplified the same way DX:HR got - removal of gameplay features that made the series in the first play, with them being replaced by the modern shooter crap "features"..

Fixed that for you.

Gerrard

Arcane
Jensen: "I can only fight enemies I see."

I guess you should prepare for...

Invisible War.

:fuuyeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom