Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Mankind Divided coming February 23rd (unless you preorder!)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided; Eidos Montreal; Square Enix

Square Enix announced today that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the sequel to 2011's Deus Ex: Human Revolution, is scheduled for release on February 23, 2016. Like its predecessor, Mankind Divided comes with irksome pre-order exclusives including an extra mission and equipment packs. Actually, it's even more complex than that this time. Behold the "Augment Your Pre-Order" campaign:

I guess it's evidence of Kickstarter's cultural impact that its mechanics are being copied so transparently. The more people pre-order, the more exclusives they can pre-order! And if there are enough pre-orders, the game will actually come out four days earlier! It's all very silly, and the commenters on YouTube seem to be reacting accordingly.

But yeah, that's the release date. There haven't been any new Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gameplay trailers since E3, but the Eidos Montreal devs have released some Q&A featurettes and other stuff, which you can watch over at the game's YouTube channel. From what I can tell, it seems like it's going to improve on some of Human Revolution's shortcomings, with more tools to use and better level design, but I'm afraid we're stuck with some of the new series' modern-styled signature elements, such as takedowns and ubiquitous experience point rewards (the latter of which they're now attempting to rebalance to make combat a more attractive option).

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
And if there are enough pre-orders, the game will actually come out four days earlier!
Well, this is a new low :D Expect to other AAA releases adopt this tactic soon. To be fair, pre-orderfags should be milked and punished to the max.

pippin

I just hope they don't fuck up. Human Revolution was a decent game after all.

Zeriel

Arcane
Holy shit, this is meme magic.

"Augment your pre order!"

I wonder how many times the VO chick had to say that to get a clip without laughing uncontrollably.

Aenra

- will wait for a full year
- check state of patches and/or non-dorito site forum reviews
- if still reading, will torrent

10/10, will play for free anytime
(and feel verified proving to myself that yes, it was shit after all)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'll fully "pre-order" and "augment" my exp in game with the help of torrent, bitch.
Don't get me wrong, but I don't like if I can't choose from the entire spectrum of possibilities.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wouldn't be Codex without edgy current-year newfags talking about how they'll torrent something.

pippin

And why 4 days early?

I suspect they want to prevent another Batman incident. Probably more and more companies will do this in the future, since Early Access has proven to be more of a curse than a blessing.
However, Squeenix does sales a lot on Steam, so I'm not really in a hurry.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Because those customers better pay if they don't want delays - publishers are just reminding everyone who's the boss, after all that anti-publisher crowdfunding stuff.
I think 4 days is a well calculated trade-off between something that will feel significant and draw in pre-orders, and something that won't cause a lack of polish.

Raapys

Arcane
It's ingenious. Lots of impatient people are gonna bug their online friends into preordering it so that they get to play it sooner. More preorders also means less people get to read reviews and impressions before buying it, which removes a risk factor for the publisher.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'll get the game. I just hope they don't fuck it up.
Besides, all that shit will be offered as DLC eventually.
Exclusive shit never stays exclusive.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The preorder DLC for DXHR was utterly forgettable. Only thing that pissed me off buying the base game for $10 AND later buying Missing Link was that they charged for what was essentially a patch melding the two together and improving boss encounters to be viable with a 'stealth' approach. They offered a 'loyalty' discount that didn't stack with any other sale so, in other words, brand new buyers got the patch for less than people who already got it separately. Shitty business tactic.

pippin

Missing Link was fun, but I agree, that was a really shitty tactic. It also probably explains why the game goes on sale so often, and with high discounts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom