Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Mankind Divided 101 Trailer

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Chesterton quotes as a motif, sympathetic portrayal of a secessionist militia, media narrative control by dark elites (as opposed to "capitalist media" that is evil because it's chasing a buck), '90s conspiracy theories, UN-is-evil. Instead of a punk fringe protagonist JC is a brainwashed superman-in-the-blood that wakes up to the truth. Money and transnational corporations are merely tools of the true elite.
None of this is inherently right wing. If you wanna get pedantic, the majority of these themes, and the viewpoints you described pertaining to them, are more closely skewed toward the left. Class struggle is the basis and foundation of leftist ideology. So is the corruption and fallibility of ruling bodies which operate with little or no oversight. And about money/corps being the tools of the elite... that's a narrow and incredibly simplistic conclusion that's spouted mostly by deranged leftists who view any hierarchy as indefensibly abhorrent and inherently evil. An ubermensch like JC being a tool of the evil oppressive empire is a theme that has its roots in the post-WWII modernist boom of anti-colonialist thought and sentiment. Ditto for secessionism, which itself is little more than armed fragmentationism, its many facets having been practiced and enshrined by innumerable splinter movements both large and small, regardless of political outlook. 90s conspiracy theories being in any way tied to the right wing (tinfoiler meme) is just pablum.

You know what a TRUE right-wing Deus Ex would've looked like? It would've chronicled a Nietzschean overman's struggle against his own failings as he brought the illumination of antiquity not to the masses, as they have no agency, but to others like him. The Right is inherently hierarchical and elitist. Leftists simply can't grasp this simple trusim, as they themselves are egalitarian, and view the social fabric of humanity as horizontal, when it is in fact vertical. Inequality permeates our world -- it's the lifeblood of progress, and the driving engine behind the crucible of war. JC Denton -- as the archytypical angel rising from the mud of his frail flesh -- would have gathered around him other ubermensch, instead of pointlessly straining to raise his inferiors to his own level (a leftist tendency if there ever was one).

EDIT: And they would've fucked off and made New Atlantis, instead of rolling in the mud with pigs.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Shhh child, the adults are talking. Go to bed, and touch yourself like you always do, it'll make the pain go away.

Last edited:

hpstg

Savant
Gameplay might actually be better in this one but I feel kinda meh about it. Jensen feels like a forced character, and he doesn't seem to have any realistic motivation to pursue all this.
Say what you want about HR, it was a game full of character and 'soul'. This one is giving me 'bruh' CoD vibes somehow. Like they found a recipe and they follow it, instead of having a revelation. In a totally unexpected turn of events I'm more interested in Final Fantasy XV than this one, and I don't even know how that happened.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Say what you want about HR, it was a game full of character and 'soul'.
I disagree. The only uplifting vibe I got from it was the soundtrack, and to be fair, it's a fucking amazing OST. But gameplay, characterization, narrative, plot, syystems... all sub-par in my opinion. YMMV.

hpstg

Savant
Say what you want about HR, it was a game full of character and 'soul'.
I disagree. The only uplifting vibe I got from it was the soundtrack, and to be fair, it's a fucking amazing OST. But gameplay, characterization, narrative, plot, syystems... all sub-par in my opinion. YMMV.
We can discuss for a long time about the systems themselves, but the sum of the presentation of the game made me as "Jensen" care about what the fuck is going on. In this one it seems so forced and bland. "It's the bad guys again, I have to get them. Oh, look, old man Sarif stuffed more things than I thought in". Meh.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
we don't know wy jensen chase this group yet. it seems like in the trailer he just "oh, here is bad guys, i need to say the world!" but i believe it won't be just that. trailer is a trailer, and it purposely doesnt show much

hpstg

Savant
we don't know wy jensen chase this group yet. it seems like in the trailer he just "oh, here is bad guys, i need to say the world!" but i believe it won't be just that. trailer is a trailer, and it purposely doesnt show much
True true. But compare it to trailers of HR, you would get the angst from them. Here it's like "bruh, bad guys bruh". Seems to me like they wanted a game with another protagonist and Square Enix accounting stepped in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty sure all the NPCs from Human Revolution that can die are gone in the sequel. I'm guessing the game will obliquely avoid mentioning their exact fate, instead just saying that they "disappeared". Although the ones in Panchaea might be dead.

hpstg

Savant
Pretty sure all the NPCs from Human Revolution that can die are gone in the sequel. I'm guessing the game will obliquely avoid mentioning their exact fate, instead just saying that they "disappeared". Although the ones in Panchaea might be dead.
So the guy who practically made Jensen who he is, is gone? How would they cover up such a hole?

The narrative sounds just embarassingly silly. This entire clash of purism vs. augs, the anti-transhumanism thing also sounds quite the fantasy of a liberal brain washed moron.

Gameplay looks like it could be more interesting and better (if also a bit derpy), though.

hpstg

Savant
What do you expect from liberal lefty idiots who can't differentiate between authoritarianism and rightism?
Are you a real person? Are you a troll? I'm not trying to provoke anything, I'm just genuinely curious.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
GOTY

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom