Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Invisible War "Visible Upgrade" Unofficial Patch

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
snobel, the guy who made the excellent "Sneaky Upgrade" patch for Thief: Deadly Shadows has made a similar patch for Deus Ex: Invisible War.

http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147423

Visible Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Deus Ex 2
The patch contains various bugfixes and game improvements such as widescreen support, and provides a few tweaks. It optionally bundles the Unified Texture Pack. It works with the GOG and Steam versions of the game.

Original game bugs and issues that have been fixed or improved:

• Multicore fix. Can be switched off for better performance (when it works)
  • Some speed-up of level loading, especially with vsync on
  • Fix for the desktop being visible during level loading on Vista and up. (Fullscreen only)
  • Fix for the mouse freezing or becoming invisible when using large font size settings in Windows

Game improvements:

• All resolutions reported by the system, plus an optional custom display mode, are available from the options screen. The aspect ratio is shown as well
  • Easy switching between fullscreen and windowed mode
  • Field of view adjustment for widescreen is automatic - the horizontal view is extended instead of cropping off the top and bottom. This includes conversations and binocular/scope zoom
  • In addition the FOV can be adjusted to the user's preference
  • The HUD and menus are shown correctly, regardless of resolution and aspect ratio. In 3-monitor modes, the HUD is constricted to the middle monitor by default
  • Loading screens are shown correctly, at 4:3 aspect
  • The intro and cutscenes, which are letterboxed, are allowed to crop to fit the monitor (up to 16:9, a bit less when subtitles are on)
  • The fullscreen game can run on a display other than the primary. (Experimental)

Additionally some optional tweaks have been incorporated:

• Minor HUD and GUI tweaks: Alternative reticles, disable the HUD or only the compass, symmetrically letterboxed conversations, disable the short intro movies
  • Walk by default, hold the qualifier key to run
  • Mouse sensitivity, which is normally stored in savegames, can be overridden using a central value
  • 'No Target' cheat: Make the NPCs ignore you

All tweaks are disabled by default.

Download:

The full edition includes the mod the Unified Texture Pack (a.k.a. John P). Please see the included readme file for more information. The update edition only includes the VU patch and the VisibleTweaker tool. It provides a much smaller download in cases where no mods have been changed or added since the last release.

Current release 1.2.0: Full - Update - readme

Installation:

• It's recommended to reboot before installation, especially for the full edition
  • It's also recommended to disable the virus checker during installation
  • Steam users should read Additional notes below
  • After installation, run the original game once and select your preferred resolution in the Options screen. (The patched game uses a private setting for the resolution)
  • Run the VisibleTweaker tool for setting up tweaks and the UTP

The installer will set up a start menu group with shortcuts to the readmes, the options folder etc. By default it will also create two icons on your desktop: A light blue icon for the patched game and a red version for the VisibleTweaker tool.

The patch has its own configuration file, VisibleOptions.ini. Normally this should be changed only through the tweak tool, but for advanced options manual editing is necessary. In that case it can be found through the Visible Upgrade start menu group (in Local Folders).

Additional notes:

The patch expects an original game installation, the original DX2UI.ini in particular. Existing tweaks may or may not be compatible. If a legacy FOV tool has been used, undo the changes or reinstall. If in doubt - reinstall.

For the US retail version the official 1.2 patch should be installed before installing the VU.

Steam users should leave the "keep the unpatched game available" option unchecked, to keep the overlay working. After installation, disable updates for the game and refrain from doing game cache validation, because it would remove the patch. Be sure to run the game once prior to installation, otherwise the game's registry values may not be set.

There are a few known issues - nothing major, though. There is a list in the readme. Hopefully they will be fixed in a future version.

Acknowledgements:

Tester hall of fame: lowenz, Stingm. Thanks to Vorob for the name and to mensch and Thirith for additional naming suggestions.

This patch builds on fixes and ideas etc. from the following sources: tolsen64, NotCarolKaye, Lolwutman, swaaye and le Corbeau.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Renamed the thread to reduce triggering.

Some people have too much free time when they spend it to make fan patches for piece of shit games.

Be that as it may, DX:IW was the only one of the Looking Glass/Ion Storm games that didn't have a standard "modded up" edition for current systems, so it's nice that somebody has gotten around to making one. He was probably able to reuse much of what he made for Thief 3.

pippin

Nothing will fix the deepest problems of IW, namely its length and how everything was mostly simplified.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks for the post. I've been wanting to play this game, but it sucks so bad. The features of this patch seem great.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played IW before the original so I missed out on the brain disorder that prevents the fanboys of the original from enjoying any shooter that isn't Deus Ex 1. who gives a shit if it didn't live up to the original, it was still an entertaining game with a large degree of freedom that you can't find in the average shooter, which is what made the original stand out in the first place.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
snobel, the guy who made the excellent "Sneaky Upgrade" patch for Thief: Deadly Shadows has made a similar patch for Deus Ex: Invisible War.

There is another mod over at TTGF for TDS that came out a few years back, "Thief Deadly Shadows Gold". One of the highlights was that it removed those annoying loading zones that plagued the base game. No idea if they implemented that into the "Sneaky upgrade", but they should.

Anyway, this was also a major gripe, among others, for Invisible War being as it used the same engine. It's definitely at the top of the list keeping me from ever touching IW again and it doesn't look like this mod fixes it...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

There is another mod over at TTGF for TDS that came out a few years back, "Thief Deadly Shadows Gold". One of the highlights was that it removed those annoying loading zones that plagued the base game. No idea if they implemented that into the "Sneaky upgrade", but they should.

Anyway, this was also a major gripe, among others, for Invisible War being as it used the same engine. It's definitely at the top of the list keeping me from ever touching IW again and it doesn't look like this mod fixes it...

Yes, that mod is integrated into the Sneaky Upgrade.

Doing something similar for Invisible War would probably be considerably harder as the different load zones aren't part of the same space like they are in T3's missions.

pippin

You could at least try to remove them from the last mission at Liberty Island. It's basically a recreation of DX's first level but with an invisible wall in the middle.

Fargus

Arcane
There is nothing that could possibly make IW bearable... aside from ignoring it's existence.

I agree with Trotsky about soundtrack though. Good shit.

The only thing I really remember well from that game is the augmentation that allowed possession of bots, turrets and other stuff. That was fun, sneak up to a bot, activate aug, run and hide while it counts down, go on a rampage with your new toy. Well, that and I liked the intro with the destruction of... Chicago was it?

Everything else about it has blurred into a general feeling of disappointment.

thesoup

Arcane
For all its faults, dx: iw had more diverse playstyles than what came after.

McPlusle

Savant
I went into IW right after my first finished run of the first game and I expected it to be total shit, but it was just merely okay. Anyone else here seen Examined Life of Gaming's video where he called IW better than Human Revolution? I thought both games had major issues, but I genuinely have no idea how it could be any more than just on par with HR.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I enjoyed the shit out of picking up corpses and throwing them around in this game. Brilliant.

The actual game was fun too, once I accepted that it is heavily dumbed down consolified abomination. Still better than 99% of shooters at least. Maybe I will replay it with this patch after I get through my next GMDX run of DX.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom