Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Detention Delving (CYOA)

Cheesecake

Savant
Underneath P&P Academy, about three years ago, they discovered a gargantuan labyrinth deep beneath when a section of the school's cellar collapsed. Police investigations were unsuccessful, to say the least; after three exploratory searches, only one officer came out alive - crazed and heavily scarred.

P&P Academy was shut down to account for the mysterious structure lying beneath. Strangely enough, all investigation ceased and P&P resumed classes as if nothing went wrong. The prestigious boarding school claims to have dealt with the matter, or so they say.

You, a student recently enrolled, have figured out a dark secret: they use the labyrinth underneath as a detention hall for the worst students. Unfortunately, you've been sentenced to Detention after a series of unfortunate events.

As they drag you to your fate, down to the cellar where it all started, your life flashes before your eyes:

A. You were always a fighter; not necessarily a bully, but you weren't level-headed either. Compared to the other kids in your class, you're the ram among the sheep.

B. Staying tucked away in the corner, speaking only when spoken to, you were the epitome of stereotyped nerd. Scrawny, fragile, and delicate physically, but years of social ostracism coupled with diligent study have steeled and sharpened your mind. Brain over brawn.

C. Smooth-talking, suave, and quick with a pen, you've been the heartthrob of the opposite sex for who knows how long. But as you found out recently, you can't talk your way out of everything. Or can you?

----

With a gulp and a nervous glance, you check your pocket for the thing you managed to smuggle in. Your shaking, panicky fingers fumble around, and you a feel a:

A. Pocketbook. Bathroom legend has it that this is a copy of the journal of a kid thrown into the Detention two years ago. It has a map, insane notes and sparsely, blood spatters. Whether or not this pocketbook can be trusted, only time will tell.

B. Pocketknife. At first, you just wanted to show off to your friends how cool and dangerous you were. Now, this tiny knife is the 6 cm pointy gap between you and whatever's in there.

C. Lighter. Fire; for everyone today, a safety hazard, a cooking tool, a thing of the past. Why would you use fire instead of bright, safe lightbulbs? But as you stand before the dark abyss that is your Detention, you can truly appreciate this gift from Prometheus.

D. Candy bar. Seriously? You must have been very hungry to have smuggled a candy bar instead of something else.

----

You are yanked abruptly as the hall monitors stop, ripping you from your 'impending doom' trance. You stand before the Double Doors of Detention, and to your surprise, you see someone else here:

A. Your best friend. You once said to each other you'd go to hell and back. Now its time to put that oath to the test.

B. Your rival. The douche who got you in here in the first place. Well, you gave as good as you got, and now you're dragging him down with you.

C. Your teacher? You thought she was going to give you your last rites and toss you in, but it seems she's going too.

----

The creaking of the doors is like a choir grieving for the departed. The darkness looms and lords supreme. You are shoved in, and with a thud the last vestiges of light and civilization vanish as the doors are closed and locked. You decide to:

A. Do nothing. This is a prank, right? They can't really do this. If I move forward they're probably just gonna pelt me with waterballoons. Right?

B. Go forward. Might as well. In the dim, you can faintly see a door at the end of the hallway. What's that in front of it though?

C. Bang on the Double Doors and cry for help. I'll call the cops!

Cheesecake

Savant
Reserved for Table of Contents stuff. This is my first CYOA here, by the way. :) Sorry if I missed some etiquette to this forum, and please correct me. The style I use may not be familiar to you.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hm, the idea of a bitter, iron-willed nerd is kinda interesting. And the teacher. I don't know why, but the idea of a good student-teacher pair seems interesting.
BCCB

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hmm, the first second post on the 'Dex, and it's a CYOA. I can only assume we have received reinforcements from Bay12. :)

Welcome!

As for the character, a sleazy and suave Casanova with a beautiful teacher to feed to the monsters at the first sight of danger. What's there not to like?

He is quick with a pen, too, so I think I'll be taking the book. We'll add a few touches and publish it as our own, becoming billionaires once this unfortunate misunderstanding is over. It's not like the original author will be alive to sue us for copyright infringement. :M

Finally, about the action - nope, staying right there. The woman goes forward. She is the teacher here, she should lead by example.

CACA

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
BAAB

Our two nerds are having a hard time in high school.
They formed a plan to join the Kool Kid Klub.
They know its risky but their desperation was greater.
They shall brave the Detention Dungeon.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
CACC

What can I say? I just like charismatic protogotanists, hopefully the teacher is sexy kind and not too old.
On otherhand two smooth talking womanixing rivals could be pretty amusing in dark creepy dungeons and unused angle

Cheesecake

Savant
Hmm, the first second post on the 'Dex, and it's a CYOA. I can only assume we have received reinforcements from Bay12. :)

You assume correctly! :D

Current votes:
  • First choice: 2 for A, 3 for B, 2 for C
  • Second choice: 2 for A, 3 for B, 2 for C, 0 for D
  • Third choice: 1 for A, 2 for B, 4 for C
  • Fourth choice: 3 for A, 3 for B, 1 for C
So currently the action would be: BBCA or BBCB

I'll wait till there's a tiebreaker.

Nevill

Arcane
A bullied nerd, a pocket knife, and a hot teacher? :philosoraptor:
tumblr_m3eohqDG2z1qbmxmjo1_250.jpg

I'll wait till there's a tiebreaker.
Wow, that is fast. Alright, if you are willing to proceed already, I will oblige. Flopping to 4B.

Cheesecake

Savant
Current-er votes:
  • First choice: 2 for A, 4 for B, 3 for C
  • Second choice: 3 for A, 3 for B, 2 for C, 1 for D
  • Third choice: 1 for A, 2 for B, 6 for C
  • Fourth choice: 2 for A, 6 for B, 1 for C
So, action would be: BBCB or BACB ...another tiebreaker. I wanna get this updated before my flight so I'll flip a coin this time. So how are tiebreakers usually resolved in the Codex?

---

Tails - Second choice.

"M-Miss Katherine?" you manage to stammer after a period of pant-wetting.

Despite her labored breathing and shaking hands, she replies in a firm and authoritative voice. "Don't worry. Just stay close to me."

"Let's go forward - no point standing still." She nods.

Together, with her in the front, you begin your walk towards the end of the hallway. A constant dripping intertwines with strange drafts of wind. No, whispers are more likely. Or faraway screams. You fasten your bandaged glasses and drown out the sounds as if they were insults. You have plenty of experience doing that. The teacher in front of you, Miss Katherine, teaches PE. Her short, black hair almost blending with the shadows, but in the dim light you can make out the beads of sweat from fear. She still wears her instructors uniform; looks like she got dragged out of class.

"So. What class are you in?"

"2B, m-miss."

"Oh, I teach that class. Y-You new here?"

"Um, not really. I've been in your class for two years." To be fair, you never really participated. You always had an excuse, real or otherwise, to not attend.

"Oh, u-um. Sorry. What's your name?"

A. Name here:_____

---

After what seems like an eternity, you reach the end of the roughhewn hallway. The closed door, however, is now open. Inside, you can faintly make out a huge shape, roughly humanoid. In the dancing dim light you can see its deformed face, ragged hair, and a nose resembling a potato. Long, hairy arms resting just an inch above the cold stone ground. It is completely naked, save for a loincloth and - underpants? Yes, but they aren't worn properly: they're neatly displayed on its neck as if they were trophies, stretched taut and bloodstained.

"What...what the hell?" Seems Miss Katherine sees it too.

What do you do?

A. Run the other way.
B. Run the other way, but push her in first.
C. Sneak into the room.
D. Stay where you are.
E. Let the adult handle it.
F. Something else.

Nevill

Arcane
So, action would be: BBCB or BACB ...another tiebreaker. I wanna get this updated before my flight so I'll flip a coin this time. So how are tiebreakers usually resolved in the Codex?
Well, actually... :)
Baltika9 BACB
Nevill CACB
Grimgravy BACA
oscar ACBA
Kz3r0 ABBB
asxetos BAAB
Elfberserker CACC
hello friend BDCB
Angelo85 CACB

1) A - 2, B - 4, C - 3
2) A - 6, B - 1, C - 1, D - 1
3) A - 1, B - 2, C - 6
4) A - 2, B - 6, C - 1

It's decisively in favor of BACB
I usually keep tallies in CYOAs I participate in if there are enough votes that it is hard to keep track of the numbers.

There is no set etiquette for this kind of thing. However, it is good tone to let people know when votes are closed and an update is on its way, if only to prevent people from creating new ties or changing their mind after the update is halfway through. If there is still a tie after vote lock, the next vote or a change of heart can decide it.

Coinflips are used, too, but you usually don't want to resort to those for plot-sensitive stuff.

Another custom you might encounter around these parts is conditional voting, denoted as "X > Y" and interpreted as 'if my preferred option X doesn't win, consider me voting for the next best thing, Y'. You'll know it when you see it. :)

As for the votes, I have zero naming sense, so I'll let the others vote on the first option. I'll be voting 2E - if Kathy is a PE teacher she is far better equipped to handle this than we are. Besides, maybe the thing is a harmless pantsu hunter. You'll never know. Let's not jump to conclusions out of prejudice for hairy bloodstained humanoids in a loincloth. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I wanna get this updated before my flight so I'll flip a coin this time. So how are tiebreakers usually resolved in the Codex?

I highly recommend the Roll function as an alternative to coin-flipping. It's an RNG and it gives the Codex amazing results, as you can see below. You can find it in the "More options" tab on the upper left of your post, after you've posted.

Nevill

Arcane
I still insist on an inverted scale where 1 is considered 'critical success'. The local dice are rigged. :M

Cheesecake

Savant
Alright, thanks for the advice, and for catching that counting error :p I'll leave up voting for another day, probably update tomorrow.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Harold
C

Maybe we should take off our underpants, so we could distract it if it awakes:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom