Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Destiny: World Domination From Stone Age to Space Age review/retrospective

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Destiny; Interactive Magic; Review; Tacticular Cancer

World domination as a game is a simple concept, but one that is immediately appealing to all of us. It's a concept that we all thought would make a good game when we were young and dreaming of the possibilities of the medium. For most of us, the definite realization of this concept came about with the release of Sid Meier's Civilization. Through a strange twist of fate, I remained ignorant of Civilization's existence and kept on dreaming until the year 1996 came and I was given a gift.

Destiny: World Domination From Stone Age to Space Age

Destiny was published by Interactive Magic (Now known as iEntertainment), a company founded by Microprose co-founder “Wild” Bill Stealey. It was produced by Dagger Interactive Technologies, which also produced The Civil War and little else. Destiny was clearly meant to be a Civilization competitor, being in production around the same time as Civilization II was being made, and to give it credit, it offered a lot of features that were absent from Civilization. Destiny offered real-time, 3D graphics, and far more in-depth building, research, government, and religion options. What could go wrong?

Read the full article: Destiny: World Domination From Stone Age to Space Age review/retrospective

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
While they did jump on the civ bandwagon I at least like that back then they usually really tried to give it their own spin. Mind you, that usually meant that the resulting game was a mess.

Also reminds me how many spectacularly unknown strategy games there are out there.

BvG

Novice
I certainly never even heard of this game. It sounds horrible, even considering when it was released, especially all those half backed user interface problems.

The gameplay description makes me think of an Europe Universalis precursor... is there any connection between interactive magic and paradox entertainment?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It may sound kind of like a precursor to EU, what with the real-time with pause aspect, but it really doesn't play like it at all. It really is like a real-time Civilization as it has tiles instead of provinces.

No connection as far as I know. On the other hand, Sweden is one of the playable civilizations in this game...

kris

Arcane
Interesting article. I missed this game, thankfully.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom