Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny: New FPS Revealed. Morgoth no longer fapping

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What I dislike from what I've seen so far is that there is not a whole lot to exploration. Those instances seem to happen at specific points and there are pretty sights but otherwise there is not that much to discover, loot or experience once you deviate from the most direct path to the mission objective. It's an alpha but still...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've never understood people's complain again bosses being bullet spongy. Would you rather prefer bosses being one-shot by you therefore eliminating any strategies involved in fighting them? Or are you saying shooters shouldn't have bosses at all?

I just watched some video of this game and enemies taking 1,000 bullets to kill was something that turned me off immediately. I hate shooters like that. I want to be fragile and the enemies to be fragile as well. Anything else feels clunky and annoying to me. However I guess bosses are the one time it makes some sense to have them take a lot of fire... but they should be in tanks or mechs or something, not just random dudes of a different color who take ten clips of ammo.

Anyway this isn't my kind of game at all, so whatever.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I just watched some video of this game and enemies taking 1,000 bullets to kill was something that turned me off immediately. I hate shooters like that. I want to be fragile and the enemies to be fragile as well. Anything else feels clunky and annoying to me. However I guess bosses are the one time it makes some sense to have them take a lot of fire... but they should be in tanks or mechs or something, not just random dudes of a different color who take ten clips of ammo.

Anyway this isn't my kind of game at all, so whatever.

Right. This game is not of the same tactical genre as Far Cry 1/STALKER. It's a WOW theme park, but with Halo shooting.

Plus, that boss is a space wizard. Space wizards can be as bullet spongy as they wish. They don't need a mech suit.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Or are you saying shooters shouldn't have bosses at all?

That was something that I really liked about Halo #1: no bosses.

Of course, apparently that was due to lack of time instead of being a conscious design choice since they promptly included boss fights in Halo 2 (and every subsequent Halo game, as far as I know).

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
:hmmm:

Bosses are special enemies that require specific tactics to defeat. Their existence refreshes the game's pace, provides some nice variety and much needed adrenaline rush after you killing identical minion #10001, and in an MMO's case, sets great aspirational goals for the grind.

Don't understand why u no like dem.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The Dinklage narration is the worse thing about this game.
Yeah, is he doing it for free or something?

I think it's bad because he's doing it only for the money, probably not a gamer, doesnt care about scifi or anything related to the medium hes working on, so he just phoned it in and chased the check.

Also, i think some actors just arent cut for voice work. If you look at his performances in GoT, he's a very physical actor, as in he transmits a lot of emotion and subtext with his expressions. While doing voice work, the only thing he has to work with is his voice and nothing else.

Angthoron

Arcane
The Dinklage narration is the worse thing about this game.
Yeah, is he doing it for free or something?

Half price.
Isn't that a tiny bit cheap?

Falls a little short of Patrick Stewart's paycheck.

Okay, I stop with the puns

But yeah, Dinklage, of what I've seen of him, is a lot about facial expressions and things you don't get just through VA. A strange choice.

Ebonsword

Arcane
:hmmm:

Bosses are special enemies that require specific tactics to defeat. Their existence refreshes the game's pace, provides some nice variety and much needed adrenaline rush after you killing identical minion #10001, and in an MMO's case, sets great aspirational goals for the grind.

Don't understand why u no like dem.

I dunno, I think I'd rather have the developers focus on making fighting the minions interesting (which I think Halo #1 did quite well) instead of making fighting the minions boring and spicing it up with boss fights.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It is a bland CoD/Halo/Borderlands/Mass Effect hybrid with terribly bullet spongy (hate this shit) bosses.

I've never understood people's complain again bosses being bullet spongy. Would you rather prefer bosses being one-shot by you therefore eliminating any strategies involved in fighting them? Or are you saying shooters shouldn't have bosses at all?

Bosses on Destiny have a huge hitpoint pool and very boring, predictable attacks, there could be more creative bosses than the ones in the alpha but I don't know...I prefer you making bosses with weakpoints, ultra fast, or with different attacks to make your life difficult than just make them pure bulletsponges. I watched a few videos and the combat flow is shoot a little, get hit, hide after something, get out of cover shoot some more, hide again... for fucking minutes.

This is just plain boring. It isn't only the spongyness that is troubling, there is no blood and no enemy body reaction to the shots with the guns feeling like pew pews. A big part of the fun for me on a FPS is how the weapons feel, there could be more interesting guns, I don't know, but the assault rifle and the shotgun felt weak.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
It is a bland CoD/Halo/Borderlands/Mass Effect hybrid with terribly bullet spongy (hate this shit) bosses.

Bosses on Destiny have a huge hitpoint pool and very boring, predictable attacks, there could be more creative bosses than the ones in the alpha but I don't know...I prefer you making bosses with weakpoints, ultra fast, or with different attacks to make your life difficult than just make them pure bulletsponges. I watched a few videos and the combat flow is shoot a little, get hit, hide after something, get out of cover shoot some more, hide again... for fucking minutes.

This is just plain boring. It isn't only the spongyness that is troubling, there is no blood and no enemy body reaction to the shots with the guns feeling like pew pews. A big part of the fun for me on a FPS is how the weapons feel, there could be more interesting guns, I don't know, but the assault rifle and the shotgun felt weak.

Yeah I agree. The alpha is not that exciting. But I guess they can't show the more difficult raids cuz that'll scare casual gamers people away. Anyway, no PC version announced yet so I'll wait and see.

Modron

Arcane
Several things look lifted straight out of Halo, style of melee, vehicle handling and shooting, sniper rifles/shotguns, slow movement, certain powers, et cetera and then added some CoD crap like throwing weapons and iron sights to assault rifles. Why are people interested in Destiny (I swear it's not Halo) again?

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Someone linked me this alpha impressions album.

http://imgur.com/a/30CKJ

I like how the game looks in that album.

I think these two videos show what the game is about pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPIZTu8v7nY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSPV0K3XxXQ

Moon level (my favorite) is not included though.
heh, really looks like a little slower warframe with stronger story.

Isnt warframe a third person shooter?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Beta is going well.... are no other Codexers playing this ADS, Moon-Wizard shoot'em'up?
Playing it on my ps3, fun game overall but the single player storyline is very bare bones, as well as having every mission on a planet use the same zone.

Otherwise, had a blast doing the first dungeon

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Beta is going well.... are no other Codexers playing this ADS, Moon-Wizard shoot'em'up?

:what:

Console games have betas now? Lemme guess, do they also have early access, tons of bugs, day 1 patches, etc?

The sole reason to get a console was just so you could pop a game in and play it. The internet is really turning out to be the death of gamin itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom