Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny: New FPS Revealed. Morgoth no longer fapping

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Well from the alpha that is now streamed on twitch ,it's like first-person Defiance without the open world map.You queue for pvp and pve missions from hub menu and after clearing the map you get loot that is very much on the Defiance level of blandness.It seems that there are two pve missions in the alpha with corridor structure and damage-sponge bosses/mini-bosses.Never played Halo,but people say enemy types are the same.The difference between any of the 3 classes from what is in the alpha(lvl 8 max) is only one spell per class and from what I understand there will be 2nd skill you unlock later(maybe there is more that is not in the present skill menu.
PvP got 2 small maps only with domination mode.You can't do anything while searching for players,but stare at the lobby.:thumbsup:

There is so little content and mechanics in the alpha that it begs the question how are they going to ship the game in September without looking like a scam.

From what I watched, the map is gigantic, at least as large as STALKER COP maps, with open spaces and indoor structures. Also what do you mean there are only "two" pve missions? They may have only limited mission types in the traditional MMO go-there-kill-N-enemies fashion but from what I've read, there are actually a ton of those grindy missions.

The loot is as bland as that of Defiance? Did you watch the video I posted on page 6? They have a modular generation system that allows them to construct a completely distinctive looking helmet 3D model in ONE HOUR. Given that they have 500 people working on this and god-knows-how-many outsourced Chinese slave labors doing the cheap 3D art, I doubt that they'll have only 10 gun models like in Defiance.

And I've heard they have MMOish raid missions that take 4 hours to complete. I doubt they'll only have bullet sponge bosses for those raids.

I'm cautiously optimistic. At least dis can't be worse than Borderlands. I mean Gearbox was a low-level outsource studio for Bungie at one time doing the PC port of Halo. Can't believe Bungie would do worse than Gearbox.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
What's the difference between warframe and borderlands (other than 3rd vs 1st person view since Destiny blends the two together)?
stronger emphasis on movement in warframe. sliding, rolling, vertical and horizontal wallrunning, special attacks for melee triggered by different movement situations and so on.

+warframe has viable stealth, which i don't recall ever being even remotely viable in either borderlands game.

anyhoo, it does look somewhat interesting, but fuck consoles.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
$10 says it will eventually be. This is an MMO so piracy is not an issue. How can Activision not want to replicate the success of WOW and Diablo 3 on PC?

Bungie have made a bunch of weird bullshit excuses about not having time or resources to port it, as if Activision wouldn't see that as a good chance for return on investment and pay for it. Something odd going on.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
$10 says it will eventually be. This is an MMO so piracy is not an issue. How can Activision not want to replicate the success of WOW and Diablo 3 on PC?

Bungie have made a bunch of weird bullshit excuses about not having time or resources to port it, as if Activision wouldn't see that as a good chance for return on investment and pay for it. Something odd going on.

I tend to think they're genuine. They can't just do a straight PC port like what Activiison does with COD, since this is an MMO so if on day1 servers are unstable, bad word of mouths will kill it and unlike Diablo 3 it's not a established franchise.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I tend to think they're genuine. They can't just do a straight PC port like what Activiison does with COD, since this is an MMO so if on day1 servers are unstable, bad word of mouths will kill it and unlike Diablo 3 it's not a established franchise.

Activision could easily hire a contract group to port it and handle all that stuff, Bungie wouldn't need to lift a finger. I can't imagine they don't see that as a decent investment, so there must be another issue. Maybe Bungie's contract limits their options, or they're waiting to see how successful it is and whether it might go free or something.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Activision could easily hire a contract group to port it and handle all that stuff, Bungie wouldn't need to lift a finger. I can't imagine they don't see that as a decent investment, so there must be another issue. Maybe Bungie's contract limits their options, or they're waiting to see how successful it is and whether it might go free or something.

I'm no IT expert but I imagine making those MMO servers stable require a lot of work, especially considering this is a shooter unlike Diablo3, so latency is a bigger issue (PING goes over 150ms and everything feels so off). If the mighty Blizzard can't get servers for the most hyped PC game Diablo 3 to work fine on day1, I doubt an outsourced contract group can pull it off.

But considering Ubishit's Division is coming to PC no problem, it's indeed so strange that Activision is not doing the same.

Machocruz

Arcane
Watched a friend of mine play this for about 10 minutes. Looked like a single-player mode, because as slow and bland as those multiplayer videos look, his was like watching oil paint dry. They spent $500 million on a game designed for the elderly and three-toed sloths. If people had better taste, these consoles would be so fucked right now. I don't see how anyone with a pulse can get anything out of this.

Martius

Liturgist
It is for PC. Except that Sony cut a deal with Bungie so that their consoletards can play the alpha version first. That's all.
Maybe or its just same thing it was with Halo. They want to redefine genre again and its easier to do that on consoles (well, at least they think so).

Castanova

Prophet
Played this at a friend's house. Feels like a really flimsy game. The PvE content is extremely sparse. You basically just wander around and shoot guys. Virtually no items drop, exploring the map yields virtually no rewards. You have effectively infinite ammo and a recharging life bar so there isn't even any resource management. It's like an open-world Halo where they forgot to replace the single player mission structure with things to do in an open world. The multiplayer is basically like CoD/Halo/etc. Completely standard formula. Also, the game has HORRENDOUS load times. I'm assuming this is something they'll optimize before release.

I was originally thinking I'd pick up the PS4 when Destiny came out but now I'll just wait until Bloodborne.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Not a very popular opinion on the Codex, but I'm still attracted to this game. I do get that this is absolutely not the taste of the codex, its too mainstream etc. I also get the sentiment that this 500 million dollars could have been spend on 100 PoE's/Torments/Wastelands etc.

But despite that I just like the concept of the game. Cant say anything yet about the execution but the video's to me look good enough. I will add some random points on why I like the concept of this game.

- MMO's like WoW, GW2 dont interest me. The open world in WoW leads to degenerate gameplay with no real possibility for challenge or interesting story content in the open world. For me a mix between instanced and public area's partly solves this problem (I did like GW for example). Destiny's completely seamless transition between instanced story parts of the world and public zones with big battles coupled with the really large maps seems like a good approach to me.

- Even with a good mix between instances tailored to the individual player's preferences/skill and public zones, most MMO's are just not fun to play. Basically the combat sucks in almost all of them. Destiny doesnt look like a revolutionary shooter, but it still looks like a good shooter. The moment to moment gameplay just looks fun to me. In general I find that fps combat is much better suited to the MMO genre then rpg combat. Rpg's should be played from a top down perspective controlling a bigger party with the player actually having a meaningfull impact on the story and world. The only rpg type combat I would like to see in a MMO is a dark souls like experience in a world that is set up similar to destiny's structure.

- I like the setting. Some have said that they find it too cliche. I disagree with this. There are just so few good sci-fi games out there. And most of the existing sci-fi games are Mass Effect or Star Wars type of games. With United Nations of alien races and fight with big bad evil. Destiny seems more mysterious, is set in our own recognizable solar system and is infused with some fantasy type elements that I find pretty interesting (may not be everyone's cup of tea though). I also like the playable races (the exxo mostly) and the design of the enemy races (mostly the Hive and the roman inspired space pirate race).

- I like the graphics/art style. Not a lot though, its still a bit too Bungie for me. But I like it a lot more then Halo. Especially the off world locations (moon, mars, the ice planet etc) look interesting. Also I watched some longer gameplay video's and there is both large open fields and dark corridors where you only have the light on your gun. So seems there is plenty of variation between indoor and outdoor locations within zones. I think exploration is going to be one of the best things about this game.

- Multiplayer does look standard but better then Cod etc. I dont like fights that are over within 1 sec. Players seem to have a bit more health/shields then in Cod and a bit less then in Halo. Also there are 6 multiplayer modes but only one is shown so far.

- These three man raid instances are supposedly very hard. I like these sort of co-op challenges with good combat instead of hotkey MMORPG mindless drone combat.

It sounds like I'm really hyped for this game when I read this lol. But honestly this is not the case, it just seems like a fun game to me. By far the most important attraction for me however is the exploration part of the game. Our solar system has just not been properly displayed in games a lot.

Sorry for the long post.

Edit: one more thing about the amount of content in the game. My expectation/assumption is that this will be a really big game. As far as I understand there will be multiple maps like the one in the alpha demo on planet earth. Then one or more on the moon, mars, venus and I think one more planet.

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

Pretty much exactly how I feel about this game.

If nothing else, this game is the first ever true FPS MMO (well Firefall technically counts but that game is so messed up I don't know if it can survive). It'd be very interesting to see how Bungie handles the power progression (would it use the bloated exponential scaling of Borderlands 2?).

Also, how would Bungie design raids? Bungie said there are going to be raids in this game and they're going to be hard. Borderlands 2 designed raid bosses like standard MMO fair, requiring the tank-dps-healer triangle (that is if you do it in the proper way, not using those broken guns), but because that game is not designed from ground up to be an MMO, the raid bosses are either boring to fight or unfairly difficult. It'd be interesting to see how Bungie does it.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Is this actually an MMO, or does everything happen in instances?

I think Bungie said for the big open areas, the game distributes players automatically in the background, so that the zones wouldn't be too crowded (e.g. it doesn't make sense to have hundreds of players in a supposedly secret ruin at the same time) but will always be populated to a degree so you can meet other players in the open maps.

The smaller raid/strike missions are instanced.

There are probably no loading screens between the open areas and the instanced area so the world feels seamless.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Watched a few videos of it and it looked boring and uninteresting. The only thing that there is to do is shooting dudes, what is a FPS is for but the problem is that shooting dudes in this game feel so boring. It is a bland CoD/Halo/Borderlands/Mass Effect hybrid with terribly bullet spongy (hate this shit) bosses. By the videos I saw, it has somewhat open areas but there is a lot of corridors as well. It appears that there is a hub where you get mission to do but it didn't look like it would be totally open world as I was expecting, you get the mission, the map mission loads. Anyway, didn't see mention of a PC version, if that is true, I prefer to play solitaire all day than to use a controller to control a FPS.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
It is a bland CoD/Halo/Borderlands/Mass Effect hybrid with terribly bullet spongy (hate this shit) bosses.

I've never understood people's complain again bosses being bullet spongy. Would you rather prefer bosses being one-shot by you therefore eliminating any strategies involved in fighting them? Or are you saying shooters shouldn't have bosses at all?

I saw Destiny alpha had one boss, the space wizard. Boss summons adds and has a regenerating shield. You need to clear the adds while dodging boss's AOE missile, while continuing to DPS boss's shield down so you can hurt his HP. The fight requires hand-eye coordination, proper prioritization of targets and managing game resources (you need to collect orbs to regenerate your special ability). What's wrong with this boss design? It's certainly no COD that's for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom