Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny: New FPS Revealed. Morgoth no longer fapping

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How the fuck can people get existed about this shit? It screems dumbed down popamole shooter. And it is a multiplayer dumbed down shooter FFS, worst of the worst.

:what:

:?

B-but, you like everything! You're tearing me apart, J_C! I don't know you anymore.
Well after the E3 demo, I'm liking the game a bit more. :troll:

anus_pounder

Arcane

J1M

Arcane
That comment about console hand-controllers taking over mice/keysboard for FPS...
Dumbest shit I've read in 2013 so far, and I've spent an absurd amount of time reading shit.

Fuck this game is so stupid.

Acti-Blizz is already doing this, but for PC. And it's stupid.
And now they want another game of the same shit, but for consoles. It's Activision again.

Do they want to completely saturate the market with this MMOFPS shit? Is Planetside 2 a smash hit, for instance? I don't know anyone who plays that shit.

They will once tab targeting is added to it. :smug:

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I'm normally not really interested in first person shooters, but this game looks really good to me.

I like the world they have created, the artwork is great. From the ingame footage it looks like the artwork is translated really well into the ingame environments. The open world and exploration stuff coupled with a singleplayer campaign seems cool to me. Plus all the extra stuff you get from online games like dungeons, raids, pvp etc makes this game pretty ambitious.

I wouldnt be surprised if this is going to be the biggest game of this generation. Also this is not a MMO, just like Guild Wars 1 was not a MMO.

What specifically dont you guys like about this game?

Baron

Arcane

In before

"Wasn't made with the Gold Box engine."

Personally I don't have a problem with the game, I crammed Doritos into my maw and played the hell out of Halo with glee and gusto, smacking space kobolds in the face, not to conserve ammo but because I replaced my hands with pneumatic claws and I find controllers hard to wield. Destiny's concept artwork is spectacular. That and Hardware from Blackbird Interactive.

http://kotaku.com/more-beautiful-art-from-hardware-enjoy-472578072

I'm up all kinds of shit if it's pretty. :popamole: Not just pretty, but a strong world building theme, and Destiny has that. Contrary to local opinion I also love The Witcher and Mass Effect for the same reasons. But my bigbox RPG collection would knock the Library of Alexandria off its perch, so fuck the haters. I'd take a look at Destiny... unless it's this bad.

Dexter

Arcane
Being published by Activision for one will likely make me not consider it at all. (my last games from them gotta be something like RtCW, SoF, Jedi Knight or Doom III in the early 00s).

Other than that the gunplay looks rather static and MMO-ish for a Shooter, very little recoil or change needed in aim to hit something and what seems to be a hitscan system (would also make sense in regards to incurred bandwidth for an MMO-type game).
And the gameplay so far looks rather unengaging, it doesn't exactly remind of other games like Tribes: Ascend, Battlefield or similar that seem fun just watching a few videos on the Net or even a big world with more possibilities like Planetside 2.

It looks decidedly meh, but then I've never played a Halo game.

I also want to direct your attention to amazing developer quotations like: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/destiny-revealed.80642/page-2#post-2501089

Frusciante

Cipher
Other than that the gunplay looks rather static and MMO-ish for a Shooter, very little recoil or change needed in aim to hit something and what seems to be a hitscan system (would also make sense in regards to incurred bandwidth for an MMO-type game).

Ok, I dont play a lot of shooters so I wouldnt notice stuff like this.

But I'm mostly looking for a cool and big world to explore. And some casual shooting, I suck at shooters anyway so I play games like this just for fun.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I also want to direct your attention to amazing developer quotations like: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/destiny-revealed.80642/page-2#post-2501089

I don't necessarily have a problem with that quotation. It's not a competitive shooter. As far as I can tell it's a co-op hiking sim with light RPG and FPS mechanics. Probably closer to Journey than Planetside 2. Besides, I can totally relate to the quote in the sense that I just don't have the fucking time to play online shooters anymore. I can't invest the 1 - 2 hours per day that are necessary to keep my skills up. I'll try to play online every once in a while to keep in touch with friends, but it's not really fun as an adult. If Destiny is more of a casual, social exploration game, ehh... That sounds pretty alright to me.

Frusciante

Cipher
Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/06/us-activision-destiny-idUSBREA4501F20140506?feedType=RSS

(Reuters) - Activision Blizzard Inc intends to spend $500 million developing and promoting "Destiny," potentially breaking industry records as it seeks to build the sci-fi role-playing videogame into its next multibillion-dollar franchise.

CEO Bobby Kotick revealed the number, which dwarfs Hollywood spending on some of its biggest firms, during the Milken conference in Los Angeles last week. A company spokesperson said on Monday the number was accurate but also included marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and other costs.

Activision, eyeing the flagging growth of its long-running "Call of Duty" action-shooter franchise, is eager to lay the foundation for its next multi-game blockbuster series.

Investors hope that "Destiny," scheduled for release on September 9 from Bungie, the same studio that created Microsoft's best-selling "Halo" franchise, could re-invigorate Activision's revenue, which slid 6 percent in 2013.

The company signed a 10-year contract with Bungie in 2010 that gives it worldwide distribution rights and significant control over the potential franchise's development.

"If you're making a $500 million bet you can't take that chance with someone else's IP," Activision CEO told the Milken conference. "The stakes for us are getting bigger."

"Destiny" is a cross between a traditional shooting game format and a role-playing game in which gamers play characters in a real-time online world. The title allows gamers to play "Guardians" who protect the last city standing on a post-apocalyptic Earth.

Analysts said $500 million would likely be a record spent on a single game - especially one without an established track record. To break even, Activision would have to sell about 15 million to 16 million units of a $60 game, analysts said.

It's one thing taking risks, and then there's sheer stupidity.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's one thing taking risks, and then there's sheer stupidity.

If Destiny becomes the next Call of Duty it will make them billions upon billions, and they (like most companies) think consumers do what their told, so for them it's a worthwhile investment. Whether they end up being right is another question. I have always thought consumers were a lottery, and marketing is not a guarantee.

DeepOcean

Arcane
500 million? Big thing, Activision is just investing half of what they make on a Call of Duty. If fucking Warface has 25 million subscribed users, they could easy double that with Blizzard hype behind. There is an endless supply of suckers in the world and Kotick knows it and he wants their wallets.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
If they're ever going to bring this thing to pc I will be all over it. I do dig me some Space Opera in my gaming and this does look splendid. Story seems like classic Bungie. Concept art just blew me away. Graphics seem groovy and the idea of doing all sorts of missions all over the solar system and through the ruins of mankind's Golden Age to stem alien adversaries and dig up ancient tech just itches me in the right places.

Gameplay shown so far unfortunately looks way too much like Borderlands. Meaning that combat seems to revolve around emptying enemy hitpoint bars instead of visceral and satisfying gunplay. Borderlands bored me to death with that already.

That would be depressing if I even thought this thing would have a snowball's chance in hell of coming to pc. Which I don't. So that's that.

Nice article btw, Frusciante. Thanks.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Whether it is franchise, will be decided by the sells of the first part (breaking even or better), so... no...
All that will matter to Activision is total sales. Not profit margin. They'll make the money on Destinies 2-9. That's why they're putting 500 million into advertising alone upfront.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
That's why they're putting 500 million into advertising alone upfront.

No, $500 million is the whole package.

Either way, I don't get the feeling that the unwashed masses are hyped for this. I doubt it will sell more than 4-5 million units, according to my gut feels.

There. Gut feels. About at least as precise as any sales forecast.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, $500 million is the whole package.

Either way, I don't get the feeling that the unwashed masses are hyped for this. I doubt it will sell more than 4-5 million units, according to my gut feels.

There. Gut feels. About at least as precise as any sales forecast.
It's a budget, things go over budget all the time. I'll believe they're done advertising it when Destiny 2 comes out and not a moment before.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They need 9 million box sales at full price (60$) to make a profit on this. I think considering the massive marketing campaign they will put in place, the number is achievable, but breaking even is not enough i feel, these kinds of AAA ip's need to brake the bank (so to speak) to justify the man hours and effort on an even bigger sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom