Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny: New FPS Revealed. Morgoth no longer fapping

Destroid

Arcane
So its gonna be just like Project Firefall then.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Also making a MMO shooter and not announcing it for the PC is like making Final Fantasy Xbox exclusive.

from what ive seen this isnt a persistant world mmo like planetside or WOW

its more like dark souls or journey in that there is a hub world for each player that other players online can occasionally cross into, and also has instanced multiplayer lobbies intergrated too.

waywardOne

Arcane
I'm not worried. I've still got Marathon 2 on my desktop and it runs great.

Social gaming = automatic shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
from what ive seen this isnt a persistant world mmo like planetside or WOW

its more like dark souls or journey in that there is a hub world for each player that other players online can occasionally cross into, and also has instanced multiplayer lobbies intergrated too.

Yes, it's a Guild Wars style thing. They mentioned hub areas and 6 man groups. One assumes there are PVP zones as well. It's not an MMO in the WoW sense and, funny enough, not as ambitious as Planetside.

But OMG BUNGIE IS REINVENTING GAMING AGAIN!

Jashiin

Arcane
I think bungie is seriously underestimating how much of halo's succes is because of local coop in the singleplayer campaign. Pride cometh before the fall, and "what can be bigger than halo.. i'll guess we'll find out..." sounds exactly like the type of shit jay fuck that loser wilson would have said. Anyway.. bungie and activision. they deserve eachother.

Commander Xbox

Learned
theyve already confirmed this wont be subscription based, and i havent heard any mentions of microtransactions and pay to win shit either. which means they are going to be relying entirely on sales

mmos by their very nature are nearly impossible to do on a console, and the console audience doesnt give a shit about them either. that plus the dated gwafix + a new gen around the corner and i can see this thing bombing hard

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Graphics look nice, we'll see how gameplay turns out though. Unfortunately Bungie are possibly guilty of creating the most generic and bland game universes and art styles of all time, so the trailer did nothing for me.

theyve already confirmed this wont be subscription based, and i havent heard any mentions of microtransactions and pay to win shit either. which means they are going to be relying entirely on sales

mmos by their very nature are nearly impossible to do on a console, and the console audience doesnt give a shit about them either. that plus the dated gwafix + a new gen around the corner and i can see this thing bombing hard
You can bet your kidneys that they will include microtransactions. There is no way Activision agreed to supporting a persistent online world without promise of steady revenue.

lightbane

Arcane
We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people. We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game - almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to

Times have surely changed, this ranting is even worse than what they said about Duke Nukem Forever. Also, fun fact: In Halo 1 Health DID NOT regenerate, only your shields did, which weren't that great because it was perfectly possible to have your shield destroyed, then be brutally raped before you could retreat to recover (for not to mention snipers and some especially powerful attacks ignored shields). It was Halo 2 that really started the popamole decline (and even then it got a PC version anyways).

PS: Also, Halo did have a PC version, with some extras that console peasants didn't have. Needless to say keyboard and mouse were required to play :M

Destroid

Arcane
Not the first time history has been revised to promote a game, and certainly wont be the last.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Graphics look nice, we'll see how gameplay turns out though. Unfortunately Bungie are possibly guilty of creating the most generic and bland game universes and art styles of all time, so the trailer did nothing for me.

You can bet your kidneys that they will include microtransactions. There is no way Activision agreed to supporting a persistent online world without promise of steady revenue.

there are apparently going to be 4 games in the series over a 10 year period too. that plus DLC out the ass most likely

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes. Shit and all. But they keep making tons of money. There won't be a fall.

Dude... The Old Republic.

No amount of massive corporate media blitz can make people play a game they don't enjoy. Nor can it compete with a general air of media scorn sometimes, depending on how widespread said scorn is. Your life will be better when you come to the realization that Call of Duty, as shit as you and I think it is, does well at exactly what it aims to do well at, and people enjoy playing it. They didn't enjoy TOR, or think they would, and it burned down the fucking sky.

I doubt Bungie will make a bad game or a tired one like TOR was. I think it's actually quite possible this ushers in a new "consolez stole PC gamez" era and we watch persistent online games move to Xbawks as a primary platform, which will suck. Still the potential is certainly there for a crash and burn, especially given the media's reaction to the preview event.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Bungie isn't that fucking retarded as BioWare Austin is. Neither is Activision as fucking retarded as EA is...they're just more reckless but also more focused. Activision is interested in huge profit margins only. They wouldn't have singed up with Bungie if they weren't completely sure they could deliver that goal. I still entrust Bungie to make at least a mediocre game. Combined with a steady marketing campaign that Activision is obliged to deliver by contract, and that whole "Makers of Halo" thing, they should be able to generate hundreds of millions dorrah in the initial weeks and then a steady revenue stream through DLC/Micro/Whatever.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The fact that people do in fact enjoy CoD is not being disputed. The marketing magic is in convincing people to buy the same game with minor changes every single year. At least sports games have a built in reason for doing so.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyways, Bungie has a huge and loyal fanbase, Activision is a master at marketing and giving people the mediocre gruel they enjoy so much. I bet this game is a huge monetary success, at least initially.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bungie isn't that fucking retarded as BioWare Austin is. Neither is Activision as fucking retarded as EA is...they're just more reckless but also more focused. Activision is interested in huge profit margins only. They wouldn't have singed up with Bungie if they weren't completely sure they could deliver that goal. I still entrust Bungie to make at least a mediocre game. Combined with a steady marketing campaign that Activision is obliged to deliver by contract, and that whole "Makers of Halo" thing, they should be able to generate hundreds of millions dorrah in the initial weeks and then a steady revenue stream through DLC/Micro/Whatever.

I agree. I am just saying cash cows with marketing out the ass can still fail.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fact that people do in fact enjoy CoD is not being disputed. The marketing magic is in convincing people to buy the same game with minor changes every single year. At least sports games have a built in reason for doing so.
No reason that wouldn't be better served by annual roster update DLCs.

Commander Xbox

Learned

huge profits initially yes. over the long term? i doubt it. this isnt going to be another wow type situation. as i mentioned before MMOs are inimical to consoles themselves, and console players have the attention span of goldish and do not want to play them. activision will also be shooting itself in the foot with its annual cod releases which will suck away a huge percentage of this games players, thats assuming it actually catches on.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There is a whole world of difference between a console FPS and a PC MMO. I like to think the crowd of the second genre is generally more informed (do I dare to write, "more educated ?" ) than the one of the first. Everybody heard there was going to be problems with TOR, which is why it was a disaster.

This, however, is not going to be much further than "lol new halo thing must buy day one".

There has been a short scandal in the french gaming press about the Destiny reveal, and how all the console gaming websites are making news and building lots of pages out of zero information about that game. The game's success is already guaranteed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom