Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny: New FPS Revealed. Morgoth no longer fapping

Farage

Arcane
Patron
sorry if already posted
1410660218365.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there anything in the Halo series that indicated that Bungie was in any way suited to producing an MMO? I always thought of them as a storyfag developer who also had a rare knack for designing small-scale multiplayer FPS mechanics.

I mean, you can't be good at everything, right?

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I really don't have any buyers remorse, ever, you should see my Steam & Origin accounts, and the amount of minutes (<10) I often play games I bought full price. Anyway, the PS4 bundle was the same price as a PS4 bundle without games was.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there anything in the Halo series that indicated that Bungie was in any way suited to producing an MMO? I always thought of them as a storyfag developer who also had a rare knack for designing small-scale multiplayer FPS mechanics.

*puts on popamole hat*

Starting with Halo 2 you could play the campaigns in co-op, this was by far the most fun way to play the games. I think Reach expanded the number of players from 2 to 4 (don't quote me on this). So I don't know about MMO, but do I think Bungie could have made a good Borderlands clone? Yes.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

I always thought of them as a storyfag developer
250px-054Psyduck.png

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I've only played the first three Halo games, but I was never impressed with the plot. This may have something to do with the fact that I grew up with the Marathon games, which had a vaguely similar but vastly superior story. The Halo games just seemed like a generic war with Space Muslims and Space Zombies, and instead of awesome characters like Durandal and Tycho you get some of the most boring characters ever.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/11/paul-mccartney-didnt-receive-a-check-for-his-destiny-work/

Paul McCartney contributed to Destiny's soundtrack, but he didn't do it for the money – because there was none, Bungie Community Manager Eric Osbourne told Vulture.

"There was no check involved, big or otherwise," Osbourne said. "He's in it for the creativity. He got a wonderful opportunity to reach an audience that wouldn't typically be immersed in Paul McCartney. They might hear the name – of course he's everywhere, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the Olympics, obviously he's touring and recording nonstop – but he sees it as a way to reach a new audience that might not otherwise hear his music."

McCartney contributed orchestral elements to Destiny's soundtrack and he wrote the single that plays over the credits, though a team of composers scored the game and they "put in a lot of work," Osbourne said.

Osbourne also touched on Activision CEO Bobby Kotick's claim that the company is "making a $500 million" bet on Destiny. "None of that is true," Osbourne said. "You really have to get a quote from Bobby to fully understand it, but I suppose what he was getting at was what Activision was willing to invest in the project and the IP over its life. There's no P&L statement anywhere where all these numbers add up to $500 million. It's not even close at this point, for development and marketing." As we noted when that number first emerged, Activision has a 10-year plan for Destiny and the company is proficient at cultivating long-standing franchises.

Apparently Bobby isn't to be trusted.

Which explains all the poor reviews. The 500 million dollar budget claim was just a marketing scam.

Marketing wise, it worked. But dorito-hungry reviewers aren't going to give you good reviews when you feed them nothing but hype, bobby.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This game, from what I can tell, is the perfect realization of everything I dislike about video games.

toroid

Arcane
The question you have to ask yourself now is - Would this still be a 500 million dollar game if it had been better received?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Watch the biggest meltdown of Angry Joe over Destiny.

500 million dollars my ass. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom