Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny: New FPS Revealed. Morgoth no longer fapping

I wasn't talking about those sorts of companies though. There's no comparison between a game publisher and an aerospace company.

For a public game company where product sales spike quickly and then die off to almost nothing, where there are constant shifts in technology and consumer wants and where many successful products make 5:1 or more back on their investments, it would be enough to send a company's shareprice into the gutter. It happened to EA.

Last edited:

sbb

Learned
Sometime soon, I can consume Giant Bomb content without hearing Jeff's full thoughts on the extent of Destiny's mediocrity at every mention...

Martius

Liturgist
Keep in mind: breaking even on a $500 million dollar investment is a lot worse than it at first seems. That's $500 million dollars locked up for 5 years without making any profit. As far as a large public company is concerned, that would be very, very poor performance.
Well, that was just first batch. Later there will be dlc, probably sequel and maybe pc version. I am sure wise people at Activision knows how to milk it dry.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kotick has already talked about how a lot of the investment was to build a brand they could cash in on later.

Avellion

Erudite
5GysNf7.png

Oh boy, I can't wait to pester my Destiny fanboy friend about this.

Kotick has already talked about how a lot of the investment was to build a brand they could cash in on later.
Makes sense, considering that CoD's brand power seems to be fading somewhat. Better find a new cash cow to milk dry, however, I am not sure how milkable this IP will be, seems like it sold mostly on hype, if the first entry was mediocre, hyping the sequel will be a bit more difficult.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Hey, remember when Bungie created what may be the best game of all time?
Myth_II_Cover.jpg

Success really is the worst thing that can happen to creative people.

Keep in mind: breaking even on a $500 million dollar investment is a lot worse than it at first seems. That's $500 million dollars locked up for 5 years without making any profit. As far as a large public company is concerned, that would be very, very poor performance.
Well, that was just first batch. Later there will be dlc, probably sequel and maybe pc version. I am sure wise people at Activision knows how to milk it dry.

Which is exactly what you'd expect them to want to do. It's all going to come to a grinding halt if the game continues to show the "success" it does though. You don't throw more money after bad money, even they know that.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Haha those comments are hilarious.

This is not a real review you can't review it yet you don't understand the scope of the game!!!

I really like Destiny, but these people are retarded.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
wahaha, 6.4 user score on metacritic for ps4, 5.2 for xbox one version. i wonder if they'll just consider it a failure or will try to keep the investment by pumping even more money into it.
Why does the moon have the same gravity as earth? Because "The Traveler," I guess.
:lol:

Bitcher1

Cipher
So uh guise why do corrupt sellout gaming journos trash this gaem? I mean previously when high profile gaymes got panned people here explained that they were written off and thrown under a bus so that journos could retain a semblance of objectivity while still sucking publishers' dicks. But this is liek the most hyped game in some time, with huge budget and expectations behind it, you'd think Activezion wouldn't allow for it to be panned like that since they have too much at stake.
So guise I dun getit, pls explain

Cadmus

Arcane
So uh guise why do corrupt sellout gaming journos trash this gaem? I mean previously when high profile gaymes got panned people here explained that they were written off and thrown under a bus so that journos could retain a semblance of objectivity while still sucking publishers' dicks. But this is liek the most hyped game in some time, with huge budget and expectations behind it, you'd think Activezion wouldn't allow for it to be panned like that since they have too much at stake.
So guise I dun getit, pls explain
Well from skimming through the review I noticed things he praises are "good framerate, amazing graphics" so the doritos are flowing a little bit.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Beta was fun, mp was fun, co-op was kinda fun when matchmaking was available, but otherwise... the story let's it down, it's just no fun to slog through all those same mobs for shitty loot while Dinklage says one inane thing after the other.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Loved the art, loved the story ideas and even liked what gameplay they shown. Then the beta hit and it was clear this game was just big maps with the occasional mission and shitloads of grinding in between. Litter instances, short missions, stuff to actually explore, dungeons, activities and other shit all over. Give players a reason to go somewhere other than grinding for new equipment #63672. If there isn't that much interesting to experience then what is the whole purpose of those maps anyway? Wasted opportunity.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The art direction in Destiny is sublime irrespective of graphics technology, and is probably the game's finest quality—no doubt followed by the music, though I haven't heard much of it.

6/10 from DewritoSpot... that's like a 2/10 from journalists with integrity. :lol:

toroid

Arcane
I played the beta (because it was free) and thought that it was incredibly boring. The gameplay felt like that of a dying low budget MMO which had lost all of its players. The hub area is inconvenient; it's unnecessarily big and empty and the NPCs are spread out so far apart. Level design seems to focus on "spread too thinly" as its theme, giving the impression of having been aimlessly planned with the only priority being "make it huge just for the sake of being huge". I only played for one day and became fatigued from all the repetition. To me it's just an MMO designed by console game devs.. I hope this shit crashes and burns brighter than the Sun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom