Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Design a Torment NPC

Athelas

Arcane
The being known as "The Man with Many Names" is one of the closest things the multiverse has to an immortal. Over the centuries, he has taken myriad life-paths. The names "Chefe", "KickAss and "Schattenjager" have been attributed to him, but none can be certain. As for his true name, nobody knows, perhaps not even The Man himself.
I see what you did there. :thumbsup:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Name: Joshua Sawher
Description: You see a slender, feminine looking man with a smug smile on his face. His arms, marked with primitive ink symbols, are holding on to a pillar, on top of which sits a pot full of urine. Although he's intentely focused on his task, he remarks "I must uphold the balance", as you walk past him.
NPC type: Village idiot/self appointed savant
Fate: Killed by a pack of wild orangutans

Koschey

Arcane
NPC Name:
Horikita

NPC Description:
The mutant carries his face in a hateful scowl as he is shambling about in the waste water of *LOCATION*. His skin has a reddish hue below the cover of filth. Amidst the ranting about the decline of the 9th World and something like a mole infestation, you can make out that he is hiding beneath the raw sewage what he thinks are precious stones.

NPC Fate:
Yes, whatever fits the game

NPC Type (1st/2nd):
Citizen/Cultist

NPC location (1st/2nd):
Bloom/Sagus Cliffs

NPC Race:
Human, Mutant

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
To go with Zed's bald inXile, this would be a good NPC - affects nearby creatures with temporary baldness aura, removes hair model.

4GvptI9.jpg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Does two rows on manicured teeth mean that the NPC has little hands for teeth? Would be awesome.

himmy

Arcane
Name : Blake More

Desc. : A mysterious and reclusive traveller from the wild South, Blake More is a savant of considerable power who is regarded by many as among those who best understand the relics of the past, to the point where he is recognized as one. While he has spent countless aeons labouring over what could become a definitive work for understanding and reclaiming what was lost, his madness, disregard for society and irrational perfectionism has made it unlikely that the Ninth World will ever benefit from his deranged work of genius.

Type : Acolyte

Race : Non-Human

Gruesome Fate : Yes

Darkzone

Arcane
NPC NAME:
The Codex.

NPC Description:
You see a faceless genderless pale white mutant, without eyes, ears, nose and mouth, that is dressed in a dark blue robe. It seems that he is thoroughly observing you. As you speak to him, you hear his voice in your mind: I have seen the future made by your strange chaotic attractors. In this moment you see strange structures, within structures that go on to infinity. Then you see many faces of humans and strange beings, like lizards, monsters, automatons and dead humans.

NPCFate:
Yes - whatever best fits the game.

NPCType:
1) Traveler. 2) Explorer.

NPC Location:
1) Sagus Cliffs. 2) Bloom.

NPC 'Race':
Human, Mutant.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You should give it a shot, MRY, you have more confirmed experience desining cool NPCs than anyone else here.
Isn't it just a trolling character, though?

In any event, here you go:

The Rememberer

Knots of off-white nerves slop from sockets stuffed with backward-staring eyes, the wages of a wish worded with more craving than care. The hollow of his mind, too, overflows with the eretide splendor that he sought, so that all sweetness savors of rot, and each new day mounts his beloved past like a rough young savage.

I don't know what to make of the class stuff.

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't be arsed to read the previous posts but methinks The Face That Never Remembered would be perfect for this game.

:prosper:

EDIT: Wait, did MRY just beat me to this?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NPC Name
Xedock

NPC Description
The pale creature before you flinches from the light as you approach. His arms and armor are of sparkling brass and seemingly well-cared for to the point of obsession, yet are ill-fitting and hang on his body like rags. His gaze flickers, incessantly seeking something that may never have existed. His voice changes abruptly from childish shrillness to acid sharpness, with moments of bland lucidity. His critical eyes fixate on you.

NPC Fate

Yes - this NPC is not above a gruesome death.

NPC Type - 1st Choice
Traveler

NPC Type - 2nd Choice

Military

NPC Location - 1st Choice

Sagus Cliffs - a cosmopolitan hub filled with cynics? Yes please.

NPC Location - 2nd Choice

The Bloom - a place where crazy people live on a knife's edge of life and death? Yes, this would also be good.

NPC 'Race'

Human - mutant preferred

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Arpeegee Codexia

Description: The... err, blob, of many tentacles sit quietly in a pond of oozing liquid substance, faintly glistening. Sit there staring long enough and you can discover faintly human features on the blob, and listening hard enough you can discern faint murmurs. It sounds faintly intelligent and drawn you in, make you strain your ears... A long time passed and you suddenly come back to yourself, faintly relieved but unable to remember what it is that you heard. The two orbs glaring at your direction, gleaming like two gems make your back stiffened.
Citizen
Acolyte
Bloom
Any
Mutant
Before the Fall art

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Follower of the Codex

This small elder man has his arms wrapped around a big book, barely reaching around. It almost looks like he's trying to restrain it. The cover has 'THE CODEX' in big letters scribbled across it.

Traveller

whatever city

and then inxile could do whatever they want with this

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Name: Dogmeat/Worthless Mutt

Desc: A small ugly dog. Will the follow the player around if he feeds it.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
NPC Name: Nairb Ograf

Description: This middle-aged charismatic man standing in front of you is a well-known traveling salesman. He is famous for his ability to literally sell anything to anyone and his exclusive mastery of creating hype from nothing is making him a living legend.

NPC Fate: Yes - whatever best fits the game

NPC Type 1: Tradesman

NPC Type 2: Traveler

NPC Location: you will meet him in every location you visit

NPC Race: Human

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
oh boy another self insert npc, can hardly wait.

That said, my suggestion is for a narcissist schizo that asserts he 'made all of this happen', when asked all of what, 'everything'.

;

Educated
Tovi, Sagus Cliffs

The newschatter android peers at you with curious eyes. Could this automaton have achieved sentience by some strange miracle of the ninth world?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NPC Name: The Codex

NPC Description:
You notice a cloaked figure observing you from afar. It does its best to stay hidden, but it soon realizes that its cover is blown. It approaches you. First cautiously, but as it gets closer, it advances more confidently. It raises its head and fixates its eyes on you. In those eyes, you get lost in an endless ocean of wisdom and knowledge. You feel like you are about to drown. About to lose your sense of reality. Space and time mean nothing in this very moment. You experience events, grand and ancient. You learn secrets that were hidden for eons. Then, as you start to feel like you can not take this gigantic wave on information anymore, the creature lowers its head.

NPC Fate: Yes, whatever fits the game.

NPC Type: Acolyte

NPC Location: The Bloom

NPC "Race": Non-human

Excuse all grammatical errors. I ended up with like 500 words but had to cut it down.

NPC Name: Tentacle Man
NPC Description: After traveling the world and pleasing hundreds of woman for money, Tentacle Man finds a spot where he can settle for his old days. He considers The Bloom his friends, a fellow being with a bright intellect and an easy going personality. Denizens often looks at him with wide open eyes as he stands before The Blooms walls talking to them, sometimes even singing merry songs to them. Walls never respond, never sing back, but nevertheless Tentacle Man considers their friendship fruitful. In his spare time he writes essays on RPG design.
NPC Fate: Yes, whatever
NPC Type: Traveler
NPC Location: The Bloom
NPC "Race": Human, but mutant is ok
Print: Dust and Water

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is how it's done, bitches. With LORE POWER:

Name:
Dexus

Description: Dexus is a grumpy old man who settled in the Sagus Cliffs years ago, after a youth spent travelling the Ninth World and observing its mysteries. He is obsessed with relics of the past, and will speak at length about how the world has declined, especially since the age of the Tabaht, who he sees as a glorious master race worthy of emulating. That being said, unlike a proper Aeon Priest, Dexus has little practical knowledge of the Numenera, though he will deny this, claiming that the Priests "have no idea what they're doing" and that they should be listening to him. In addition to ranting about the glories of the past, Dexus has another hobby, which is gossiping about the Slave Families and the other elites of the Protectorate. He has nothing but contempt for them, and if given the chance, will speak endlessly about their corruption, decadence and ignorance of the past. A smart player character can quickly deduce that Dexus is often guilty of many of the same sins that he finds in others, to which he will respond incredulously, claiming that as a hapless old man he is not subject to the same high standards. If called out for his support of the barbarities of the Tabaht, Dexus will react with a mixture of anger and amusement, making note of the player character's youth, berating his naivete and sending him on his way. If Dexus becomes aware of the player character's heritage as a Castoff, he will refer to him with the prefix "Alt" (for example, if the player character's name is Adahn, Deus will call him Alt'Adahn). At this point, the player must be careful, because Dexus will be far less forgiving of any disagreements or disputes. Other people in the Sagus Cliffs treat Dexus as an eccentric at best, and as a pariah at worst. Some of the Families have even instituted a kind of embargo on him, forbidding the mention of his name, and barring their business partners from dealing with him. Despite this, Dexus survives, since many find the broad scope of his knowledge useful, despite (and sometimes even because) of its shallowness, and he can be amusing when in a good mood. Although essentially human in appearance, Dexus has a reddish skin tone, which becomes darker in hue when he becomes excited or mad. When provoked, he attacks with his fists.

Fate: Yes - whatever best fits the game

NPC Type: 1) Traveller 2) Tradesman

NPC Location: 1) Sagus Cliffs 2) Oasis of M'ra Jolios

NPC Race: Human, but mutant is OK

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
But it's 400 words!

Maybe they mean they want us to describe 2-300 different characters, though. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom