Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Descent to Undermountain looks pretty good.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

This is the first good footage of Descent to Undermountain I've seen and it looks pretty good. I had no idea the game was an actual RPG, I thought it was a first person shooter that took place in the Forgotten Realms setting. The variety of NPCs and dialogue and quest options is pretty cool and you can tell immediately that this is a Chris Avellone game. There isn't really enough combat footage to tell whether or not it's good, but it looks comparable to Arena or Ultima Underworld. The exploration and dungeon design definitely surpasses Arena's.

Has anyone here played it? I see the game maligned constantly but I've never met anyone who's played it. What do people dislike about it? I've heard it's buggy - was this ever ironed out in patches? What are your thoughts? Is it worth trying out? It seems pretty interesting and way different from what I expected and I'm thinking of trying it out if I can find it anywhere.

936full-descent-to-undermountain-screenshot.jpg

:lol: This portrait makes the game worthy of a playthrough.

zwanzig_zwoelf

And I've posted a shot a couple of hours ago.
The game is good, but bugged as hell. If you can live with crappy combat and poor performance - you will probably enjoy it.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I've played this to the end back in the day. Looking at the video, I remember almost nothing about the game. If you would have shown me that video, hiding the title, I would never known I've played it.

The only thing I remember about the game is, killing things they would just sometimes float in the air instead of falling to the ground.

Since I played it and don't remember anything good about it....

:0/5:

Zep--

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game is good, but bugged as hell. If you can live with crappy combat and poor performance - you will probably enjoy it.

How can the game be good if the combat system is crap? NWN 2 does C&C well, has an interesting storyline, and a solid cast of characters, but I would consider it a bad game because the combat is crap as it is tied to the Aurora engine.

Is character creation and puzzle solving so outstanding in Descent to Undermountain that it overcomes the crap combat and makes the overall experience a good game? I was told to avoid this turd.

zwanzig_zwoelf

How can the game be good if the combat system is crap? NWN 2 does C&C well, has an interesting storyline, and a solid cast of characters, but I would consider it a bad game because the combat is crap as it is tied to the Aurora engine.

Is character creation and puzzle solving so outstanding in Descent to Undermountain that it overcomes the crap combat and makes the overall experience a good game? I was told to avoid this turd.

I was told so too, but I'd recommend to try it. The combat for me is crappy because of clunkiness, but as I told somewhere, those kind of mechanics are quite appealing to me.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I dug up a download link but its slow as molasses and its an .exe extension at 429 MB. If I am successful with the download and the .exe is clean, I'll post.
I believe I've played it (1998-99) and really wanted to like it but the collision detection drove me to murder if I remember right. I spent the next 13 years in prison dreaming about Grimoire. :troll:
23 hours remaining.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When will Hasbro finally put this and all the other pre-BG D&D games on GOG?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Considering this game is supposedly a total mess, I am sure that'd be asking for more trouble than it is worth. Especially with today's customers who can't even stand a few bugs, bah, sissies.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
This game is a CRITICAL FUMBLE.

I tried it once, and it kept crashing at a certain point.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
These portraits are amazing. Someone needs to get these for the codex.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Mmm, if there is that much interest in the game I may put up an ISO image of the CD. Is it not on GOG?

Fake edit: it's not. TBH it's one of those games you should play just because. It's really atrocious, but not because of the content, rather because the engine was utterly unsuited to this kind of game, and the combination of collision detection from hell and stability on par with the Windows 95 alpha makes it virtually unplayable.

I don't know whether it'd run more stably with a custom DOSBox conf very carefully arranged, and with the DOS4GW extender replacement that's been floating around since the late 90s. At the time I ran it "vanilla", and god what a mess.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Mmm, if there is that much interest in the game I may put up an ISO image of the CD. Is it not on GOG?

Fake edit: it's not. TBH it's one of those games you should play just because. It's really atrocious, but not because of the content, rather because the engine was utterly unsuited to this kind of game, and the combination of collision detection from hell and stability on par with the Windows 95 alpha makes it virtually unplayable.

I don't know whether it'd run more stably with a custom DOSBox conf very carefully arranged, and with the DOS4GW extender replacement that's been floating around since the late 90s. At the time I ran it "vanilla", and god what a mess.

The rip doesn't work for more than the first area, as soon I opened a door in the Underdark it crashed inside dosbox, then it won't load at all.
So the download link I provided is pretty much worthless.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
TBH this may be a function of the original game... I never got far enough into it.

As I said crash-a-minute was pretty much standard for it at the time.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't know why but I always had a soft spot for this game even though I never got very far into it. I guess I liked that one of the programmers kept working on a patch on his own time that came out well after everyone had forgotten about the game. He was embarrassed by the state of the game and wanted to try and "fix" it. He never came close to that goal...

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't know why but I always had a soft spot for this game even though I never got very far into it. I guess I liked that one of the programmers kept working on a patch on his own time that came out well after everyone had forgotten about the game. He was embarrassed by the state of the game and wanted to try and "fix" it. He never came close to that goal...

There are other ways to make amends...

5.-mishima-seppuku.jpg

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Game is running pretty good. Crashes once and awhile. Not sure if it was the patch or the iso but they fixed the horrible keymapping. It's incline, I'm enjoying it.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Well, I managed to make it to Tier 2. The dungeons in this game were fun. However the bugs ended up stopping any forward progress. Too bad really.

DemonKing

Arcane
I remember being excited about this before released but the reviews were so dire I never ended up getting it...and I picked up almsot any CRPG released back then by reflex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom