Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daedalic Deponia series

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
So, Daedalic, the makers of 'The Whispered World' which has been well regarded here in the old 'Dex, are making a new adventure game, called (if you haven't guessed from the title) Deponia. Here's what they describe the game as:

"a fast-paced comedy of errors and one of the most unusual love stories in gaming history. The twist-filled story takes its off-beat characters all over trash planet Deponia, a unique game world in the style of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Matt Groening. From Kuvaq, an improvised village built inside a giant trash heap, to the swimming black market and the dark corners of the elevated planetary railways.

Rufus, one of the playable main characters, is not a pleasant guy. Ill-tempered and entirely too convinced of his own greatness, he lives at the edge of a small settlement somewhere in the most remote sector of the garbage-covered planet Deponia. He dreams of a better life in the floating cities of wealth and beauty high above the planet surface. When the angelic Goal falls from these privileged spheres down into a neighbouring trash heap, Rufus sees his chance. He decides to bring the unconscious beauty back to her home. Only a vague hope of making it off Deponia at first, he soon formulates an unscrupulous plan, as he learns that he is a dead ringer for Goal’s upper-class husband. The planned handover is only the beginning of a wild chase across Deponia full of twists, turns and mystifying mix-ups…”

And here's a little teaser.

German developers making a game with the style of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett? I have mixed feelings about this, but I'm looking forward to it.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Also, it seems like they're developing another adventure game, this one based on the Dark Eye (the P&P game in which the Drakensang games are set). This game is more on the serious side and it looks gorgeous.

20839.jpg

The game's called The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and you can find some more info (although not much) at their website.

made

Arcane
So, Daedalic, the makers of 'The Whispered World' which has been well regarded here in the old 'Dex

Not by me. Beautiful gfx, but lame writing and insufferable characters. I suspect that DSA game will be no different. Sure looks pretty though...

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
(...) and it looks gorgeous.

I'm an artfag so I gotta disagree with you guys and rage a little.To put it simply, there is no style here, it's just cluttered.

Characters are pre-rendered (with different lighting) and simply pasted over background without proper scaling to the perspective thus making them stand out more than they should. And also it doesn't help that the backgrounds are just in stage of a cleaned up concept. There's more - there are problems with concept art itself - the use of multiple light sources in the whole scene is wrong, perspective on many objects is distorted, there are different focal lengths in ONE picture (and what's the point of using 18-35mm focal if your characters are what looks like 10-20 meters away) , and what bugs me the most is this bizarre decision to use different amount of details (brush size) on different objects in the SAME distance in perspective. But I guess this all can happen when you are not using some simple base 3D geometry for your paintings..

While this may sound as a artsy-fartsy talk if you haven't noticed it before - but believe me those things are going to make your eyes hurt, you are going to miss a lot of details, and some things are going to seem a lot closer/further than they really are.

IMO there's a lot of work for the art department before they release a trailer.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well, I don't know, it might not be great from a technical standpoint, but I certainly dig the art direction and I think it looks very pretty.

DSA_screenshot1.jpg

The only thing that has bothered me from the beginning is, as you said, the lighting on the characters, but It's not that big of a deal for me.

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
Oh yeah and of course - I also find that it looks very promising and c'mon - classic adventure game in Das Schwarze Auge?! It has awesome all over it. Unfortunately, when you consider the very high level of art in The Whispered World and compare it to the Chains of Satinav, the difference so far - because I still believe they are gonna fix all that I pointed out - is big enough for me to notice (considering that I'm an animator not a background painter).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, Daedalic, the makers of 'The Whispered World' which has been well regarded here in the old 'Dex

Not by me. Beautiful gfx, but lame writing and insufferable characters. I suspect that DSA game will be no different. Sure looks pretty though...

And in which language did you play it, if I may ask? I'm playing it in English right now and if you did that as well, then you are simply a moron. Lame writing? Seriously? The writing is really clever and funny (plus lots of different dialogue lines for things you can try in the game, not the usual "can't do that, can't do that, can't do that"), the characters are good as well, and the voice acting is mostly genius. This should be a standard for all new adventure games. I'm amazed that an European game got such an awesome "translation". It's pretty much unheard of.
The only complaint I have is that now, towards the end (at least I think I'm towards the end), they started with stupid slide the tiles and turn the pipes puzzles. It was so refreshing that those kind of puzzles were missing from a new adventure game.

Well, enough of this blowjobbing. Skayram sucks and Betharda is retharda.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The date from the trailer says March 23 2012. Happy Germans.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am always wary of games that try to be wacky and crazy. More often than not, humor falls flat. The trailer was trying hard to catch a smile, but failed.

Morkar Left

...classic adventure game in Das Schwarze Auge?! It has awesome all over it...

The DSA world is pretty good for some fairy tale adventure style games. But playing a DSA game without rpg stats will feel a bit strange for me. I think the perfect combination would be to make it like the Quest for Glory series. I wonder why they didn't take that route. Still looking forward to the adventure.

GuybrushWilco

Educated
I really enjoyed The Whispered World, even if the ending was a little bit of a cop out :) I'm looking forward to this one.

Ringhausen

Augur
I tried playing Deponia, but I couldn't get past chapter 2 because of constantly crashing and freezing. They've apparently been working on a patch for a month now, but still can't guarantee if it's going to work on all systems.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
You seem to have certain insider information the rest of us, mere mortals, don't have, Ringhausen. Have you been in a beta or something? What can you say about the game aside from technical points?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I believe it's been released in Europe for around 5 months now.

I didn't really like The Whispered World personally -- a combination of poor localization, grating voice acting, my arch-nemesis the sliding tile puzzle, and (to me) uninteresting characters added up to a very pretty, fairly average adventure game. Still, Deponia looks interesting, so I'll probably give it a shot when it comes out in the UK.

Ringhausen

Augur
I can't say much since the first chapter is the length of a demo. It looks about the same as the other Daedalic adventure I've played, A New Beginning, with puzzles that aren't hard but not glaringly obvious and the humor while not great isn't irritating either. Seems like a decent enough game.

They still haven't given an English release date, which is a good thing, since bad voice acting can ruin a game like this. Though the German voice acting is awful, as always.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The game looks very good. May pick it up from Amazon.de when I've scrounged enough pennies. Speaking of amazon.de, a lot of games sold there look really good. Very nicely packaged retail copies, especially the Collector's Editions. Damn, Germans always get the cool shit :(

Btw I am very interested in Edna and Harvey, which seems to have gotten very good reviews. Has anyone played that?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Looks like Chains of Satinav can be already played, in case anyone wants to give it a try.

Deleted member 7219

Nobody has said Derponia yet? I'm impressed.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
bought german version on gg. playing right now. the german voices suck more than usual and the protagonist's voice doesn't at all fit the his facial expression plus there's a tutorial when you start the game, because something as fucking simplistic as a p&c adventure with two buttons really needed a tutorial....
art style's nice.

framerate's really shitty for a 2d adventure game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom