Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls completely playable on PC right now.

Vorark

Erudite
If only my PC wasnt a toaster, no Demon's Souls for me.
CPU: amd fx-4300
GPU: 750ti

Can you lower the resolution to 720p or lower for better performance or is the emulation pretty static right now?

I'm running it at 1280x720 (720p). As mentioned by Zandig Slaytanic, it is currently the best. Resolutions are 1920x1080, 1280x 720, 720x480, 720x576, 1600x1080, 1440x1080, 1200x1080, 960x1080.

You should give it a try; if it stutters too much, you could disable the sound.

Vorark

Erudite
Whelp, fps tanked hard at Boletaria. That's the end of the journey, for now. :salute:

(sorry for the double post, couldn't edit previous one)

Perkel

Arcane
Whelp, fps tanked hard at Boletaria. That's the end of the journey, for now. :salute:

(sorry for the double post, couldn't edit previous one)

How hard ? 15-20 ? That is normal for start of boletaria. After than framerate goes to 30FPS. IF intro area worked for you @ 30fps then this is what you should expect from rest of the game.

Vorark

Erudite
How hard ? 15-20 ? That is normal for start of boletaria. After than framerate goes to 30FPS. IF intro area worked for you @ 30fps then this is what you should expect from rest of the game.

Seriously? It was indeed around 15~20 in that big area in Boletaria, the one you warp to from the Nexus. Quite a drop from almost stable 30 in tutorial and hub areas.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Runs with sound at 25-30 FPS even in Boleteria on my laptop. Unfortunately, there is some incompatibility between my nvidia drivers and vulkan, because the game freezes constantly. Switching to OpenGL solves the freezing, but then the game runs at 9-15 fps. Still, I didn't think I'd be able to run PS3 games on this type of hardware so soon. Hopefully a driver update down the line will resolve the vulkan issue.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Runs with sound at 25-30 FPS even in Boleteria on my laptop. Unfortunately, there is some incompatibility between my nvidia drivers and vulkan, because the game freezes constantly. Switching to OpenGL solves the freezing, but then the game runs at 9-15 fps. Still, I didn't think I'd be able to run PS3 games on this type of hardware so soon. Hopefully a driver update down the line will resolve the vulkan issue.

Wow if you run it at laptop then it is working fast as fuck. Maybe something like Pentium G245 will run it no problem or some desktop i3s

Perkel

Arcane

Seriously? It was indeed around 15~20 in that big area in Boletaria, the one you warp to from the Nexus. Quite a drop from almost stable 30 in tutorial and hub areas.

Yup just play along and when you will get to gate you should get 30. You still might get dips to those 15-20 according to where you look in that place. It seems that there is something in that place that emulator doesn't like.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm really not much of a technical person, but this seems insane to me. I had always thought that if there was a console that was impossible to emulate, it would be the PS3.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Wow if you run it at laptop then it is working fast as fuck. Maybe something like Pentium G245 will run it no problem or some desktop i3s
It is a pretty high end laptop (a gaming laptop), or at least it was 6 months ago when I got it. Unfortunately, the game freezes within 1-2 mins of actually playing it, so it's impossible to tell if the performance stays good beyond that.

Perkel

Arcane
It is a pretty high end laptop (a gaming laptop), or at least it was 6 months ago when I got it. Unfortunately, the game freezes within 1-2 mins of actually playing it, so it's impossible to tell if the performance stays good beyond that.

Have you tried Dx12 ?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm really not much of a technical person, but this seems insane to me. I had always thought that if there was a console that was impossible to emulate, it would be the PS3.

PS3 has one 6-core CELL CPU. (Actually few more cores, but one core runs OS.)
It has one strong core with HT.
And it has HW acceleration of video and sound.

You send sound to TOSLINK, just as on PS3.
And rest of that, well you need at most 8 cores. Likely 4 cores with HT to be able to HW switch correct numbers of threads might be fine.

Vorark

Erudite
Beat Phalanx, yet I really can't keep going. I need to cross a path through the castle walls but I'm getting like 15fps, which is too laggy for me to zigzag around the obstacles while running away from enemies + the dragon's fire breath. Shame because I'm liking DeS very much.

Gonna keep the save file and try again in a couple of months.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yay, finally something that can simulate the power of a Pentium 3 on a quad core i7

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Folks saying gaming laptop is meaningless. You need to specify your CPU and RAM.
And if you had low FPS, or freezes, you need to specify your CPU and if you disabled HT.

Perkel

Arcane
Sadly, with emulation you miss the most important feature of the game - messages telling you that it's safe to walk into a room where a miniboss is lurking behind the door, or "try jumping" near a bottomless pit.

:betrayed:

Honestly it was fun first time when you played DS game but second time it was just annoying and i don't mean try jumping etc. since every Souls game after Demons Souls doesn't any punishment for death (since bonfires are just 1 minute away compared to Demons Souls where you had to go whole level without archstone) i mean they mostly spoil everything. Hidden places ? Hey there is 20 messages there pointing there is hidden place there. Gee now that is "hidden". Then there are memes. I hate those and in early Souls days they were minority but after DS came out suddenly you had everywhere memes. Praise the Sun fucking everywhere etc.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh god! Yes!
As much as I love this for Demon Souls I am thinking more of the last NCAA game and stuff like Metal Gear 4

Exhuminator

Arcane
>Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't a game

I've read there's something like 9 hours worth of cutscenes in the "game". Probably why I haven't played it yet, despite owning it years and years.

Perkel

Arcane
>Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't a game

I've read there's something like 9 hours worth of cutscenes in the "game". Probably why I haven't played it yet, despite owning it years and years.

Finished it in 23hours from which about 7-12 hours are cutscenes. Still i would fucking do it again. Insane amount of detail in game is just worth alone to see it yourself. Like trying to many times to play as statue at starts of the game causes statue balls to fall off. Enemies can sniff you out if you hid in dumpster etc.

Once you finish game on hard you get The boss hard which is true fucking legit stealth game and frankly it is worth alone to get MGS4. I don't remember any game that changed completely AI for just harder def mode.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I'm sure MGS4 has its merits, don't get me wrong.

In my experiences the Metal Gear games had fun and crazy plots, but the Splinter Cell games had better actual tactical espionage gameplay.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I always preferred MGS over Splinter Cell. It gave me more freedom and opportunity for creative gameplay. I'd even rather replay the disappointment that was MGS4, as little gameplay as it had.

To semi-quote myself... The Splinter Cell gameplay was never that great. Having accuracy and speed dependent on the mouse wheel wasn't very functional. You'd have to roll down the wheel as fast as possible to get a good shot and then, so that Sam doesn't walk like a snail, roll it up again fast as you watched the meter. Made it feel too mechanical. Sam is the worst shot in the world. He must have Parkinson's Disease. The use of darkness was always kind of silly. A light bulb would illuminate much more space. I prefer the old MGS games, which have even sillier mechanics, but those are wacky cartoon games. Splinter Cell has a grittier and more realistic tone, and the silly, overdone light mechanic is everywhere. The Splinter Cell levels were a lot more linear than in MGS3 and didn't offer as much experimentation. The story was dull. The keypad hacking was convoluted. The objectives were sometimes obtuse. On my last playthrough of the bank mission in Chaos Theory, I was done with every objective, but the game wouldn't allow me to leave because I didn't listen in on some conversation somewhere. Some of the objectives ruin the flow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom