Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls completely playable on PC right now.

Perkel

Arcane
emulator of PS3 recently good HUUUGE boost and pretty much runs great Demon's Souls now with some minor framerate dips in boletaria 1-1 at start. Few people already finished game and they say there are no issues aside from those minor dips it runs almost perfectly.
You can even boost resolution from 720p to 1080p.

What you need to play:

PC.
CPU: i5-2500k or anything above it but you might try with something lower.
GPU: Nvidia1050/RX560 equivalent like above
RAM: At least 4GB

Emulator: RPCS3
dump of game. dump your own and har har it from net.

Set in graphical options of RPCS3 to Vulcan set controls (RPCS3 supports x360 gamepad) and off you go.

Here is how it looks and runs on PC:

tet666

Augur
I assume you need a controller for this though :M

It's an emulator so if you can map it you can use it Keyboard, Flightstick,Steering Wheel it's all possible that said you can't map a mouse in this game without some third party app if that was your question. It has the same basic KB/M support as the real PS3 so it will only work in games which actually support it.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I assume you need a controller for this though :M

You can easily map controls in way you like and there are tools outside of RPCS3 that can properly emulate common control schemes for pad (like looking around with left stickwith mouseetc.).

Also you can just buy used PS3 pad which should cost you like nothing and use it with SCP software (which is free and painless) to emulate x360 pad. Or just buy used x360 pad and hook it up to pc.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I have it on HDD of my hacked PS3, so I'd wait with emulation until I'd get 8+ core, or emulator would be MUCH improved.

Perkel

Arcane
If true that's amazing.

confirmed it myself. Only stain i found is initial before castle gate part of boletaria 1-1 which on ps3 also didn't run all to well. Once you get close to gate it runs pretty much like ps3 did but unlike ps3 i run it at 1080p

Perkel

Arcane
Now PC only player will have a chance to play best Souls game. I still fucking love that archstones are only granted after beating boss and shortcuts are actually shortcuts that matter.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Awesome! I went through two PS3s and lost my Demon's Souls saves twice because they're locked (copy protected). The only way to back them up was to buy a Plus subscription and upload them to the cloud. Sony only stores them for nine months, if I remember correctly. The other exclusive I kind of feel like playing again is MGS4. But buying another PS3 would feel like throwing money in a hole.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
^ Yep, you were right. Managed to run it on my humble pc -- basic 4th gen i5 + 750ti.

FPS were around 24~30, but would go all over the place when the fog got too dense. Otherwise, it was "playable"; not exactly comfortable but then I wasn't expecting much to being with. Went up until the blue eyed knight in the tutorial area and somehow killed it while trying to figure out which keyboard key did what. :lol:

Will tinker more later but initial impression is that framerate is too unstable right now. Impressive progress, though.

Here's a badly cropped printscreen:

Jc7IS4L.png

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Have to agree. Framerate is too unstable right now to be playable for me (I'm a constant 60 FPS whore, and proud of it!) but I'm VERY impressed with how much progress they made on this emulator. Thanks, OP, for bringing this news to the forum :salute:

Perkel

Arcane
Have to agree. Framerate is too unstable right now to be playable for me (I'm a constant 60 FPS whore, and proud of it!) but I'm VERY impressed with how much progress they made on this emulator. Thanks, OP, for bringing this news to the forum :salute:

It is just boletaria and few other places. Most of the time game is actually locked 30fps. Demon's Souls had few places where framerate dipped even on ps3 (like in case of boletaria starting area i think).

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's great news. I will soon be able to sell all my consoles and games and instead just use isos. Thanks, warriors of technical achievements.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
Tested it out today and it works very well.
Granted my PC is pretty solid (i7-7700k, 16gb ddr4 2400, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, Windows 10)
I played it to completion a few times on the PS3 years ago. With the RPCS3 emulator I have played up until the boss Phalanx with no issues using the following settings:

CPU: PPU Decoder: Recompiler (LLVM), SPU Decoder: Recompiler (ASMJIT), Preferred SPU threads: 4, Addiitional settings: Enable SPU loop detection
GPU: Renderer: Vulkan, Resolution: 1280x 720 (anything over that does not look right with the game)
Additonal settings (I have the following checked): Write Color Buffers, Invalidate Cache Every Frame, Use GPU Texture Scaling
IO: Controller Handler: XInput (using an Xbox 360 Controller)

Vorark

Erudite
Okay, I just did the oldest emulator trick ever and got solid 29~30 fps at the tutorial area: remove the sound. Before doing this I was getting like 11fps at foggy zones. Yes, you lose a lot on atmosphere but it plays so good.

YEEEESSSSSSSS.
:dance:

If only my PC wasnt a toaster, no Demon's Souls for me.
CPU: amd fx-4300
GPU: 750ti

Can you lower the resolution to 720p or lower for better performance or is the emulation pretty static right now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom