Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demons Age by Bigmoon Studios - turn-based RPG "highly inspired" by Chaos Chronicles

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Indeed why don't develop a strategy game at this point?.... A roleplay game with no dialogues don't allow you to roleplay... sounds pretty idiotic.

That would require effort and apparently this was "let's take what was finished from Chaos Chronicles and reshape it into something resembling a shippable product."

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
lol, somebody dropped the R-word, everyone have a drink!
Do you mean Riggers ?

No, I mean larping, commonly misspelled as "roleplay". To give credits to niggers, they do exist and even are actually kind of blackish - which is far more than could be said about the former, particularly in the context of computer gaming.
Yeah roleplayers are pretty sad bunch,most of them are girls that couldn't find a job at the local streap bar. From time to time there is some nice eye candy.Anyway cheers!

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Do you mean Riggers ?

No, I mean larping, commonly misspelled as "roleplay". To give credits to niggers, they do exist and even are actually kind of blackish - which is far more than could be said about the former, particularly in the context of computer gaming.
Yeah roleplayers are pretty sad bunch,most of them are girls that couldn't find a job at the local streap bar. From time to time there is some nice eye candy.Anyway cheers!

Nah i just like to make a personal distinction between roleplay games and dungeon crawler... i like both for sure... but when a game has stats and character progression but you have no dialogue and everything you do is just go on in dungeon killing monsters and level up i don't call it an rpg but a dungeon crawler...

Also what's wrong with rolepay too much brain stimulation for you fantadomat? i guess that is what the tag dumbfuck is for..

:troll:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Do you mean Riggers ?

Nah i just like to make a personal distinction between roleplay games and dungeon crawler... i like both for sure... but when a game has stats and character progression but you have no dialogue and everything you do is just go on in dungeon killing monsters and level up i don't call it an rpg but a dungeon crawler...

Also what's wrong with rolepay too much brain stimulation for you fantadomat? i guess that is what the tag dumbfuck is for..

I am confused now, i thought that we are talking about this kind of roleplay here:
larp2-e1274963706351.jpg

I too like to roleplay when playing rpgs. Mostly a coalitionist rogue or a bearded ravaging guy.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Do you mean Riggers ?

I am confused now, i thought that we are talking about this kind of roleplay here:
larp2-e1274963706351.jpg

I too like to roleplay when playing rpgs. Mostly a coalitionist rogue or a bearded ravaging guy.

I ... honestly don't know what that is..... for sure is not the roleplay i usually do... What i said is... in a roleplay game i would like the game to give me opportunity to roleplay a character not fight monster and progress for the sake of it only i do enjoy that but if a game consist only in that i call it dungeon crawler... Since seems we failed to understand each other i will undo the shit badge and apology...

By the way... From what i seen of this game the turn based combat is not even that great...

mondblut

Arcane

You can call it 2spirit attack helicopterkin, for all I care. The "Rules For Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable With Paper And Pencil And Miniature Figures" and their derivatives and computer simulations couldn't care less.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

You can call it 2spirit attack helicopterkin, for all I care. The "Rules For Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable With Paper And Pencil And Miniature Figures" and their derivatives and computer simulations couldn't care less.

"Rules For Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable With Paper And Pencil And Miniature Figures" that explain my point... Warhammer is a war game for example and hardly an rpg... While other pen and paper games have also rules to enhance roleplay.... For istance the social skills in D&D.. Having stats and character progression only don't make a game a rpg... Or by your logic even 7days to die and ark survival evolved are rpg.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The good thing about shitty games - you can find fun grognardy websites by searching for them on Google: https://oldgrizzledgamers.com/reviews/demons-age-pc-review/

Demons Age PC Review: how to turn fan excitement into a shady turd
DEC 10TH, 2017 REVIEWS

Did you love classic RPG’s for their slow battles, uneven difficulty and boring combat rules? As long as you said yes for those reasons and not for role playing choices, character progression, fun, loot, great magic or intricate rules, Demons Age is for you. Maybe you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover but this book has a grammar error in the title, unless it’s a game about demons getting bifocals and cheap movie tickets.

The epic saga of demons concerned about prostates and struggling on a fixed income.

Should you buy it?
No. I’ve written reviews for games I didn’t like but even in the worst cases I could conceivably see someone enjoying themselves. They scored low because of design decisions, not because they were buggy and missing features. And they didn’t ask for $30 which is why I’m allowing myself to be snarky and disrespectful of someone’s work.

The Game
I thought I found another ATOM for the first hour of playing. The introduction is indie but surprisingly well done. An excellent gravelly narrator describes a typical but sufficiently interesting fantasy world using impactful low budget visuals. Once in-game it looks like a lovely update to Baldur’s Gate. The backgrounds are crisp and well drawn, the models quite good if poorly animated. Initial creatures were a bit strange but a welcome alternative to rats.

These spells are so terrible I gave the mage a crossbow to make her slightly useful.

Combat is very slow and like early D&D games, too damaging and random without real tactical choice. I didn’t mind at first, assuming the people who put the intro and world together know what they’re doing. Elex took a long time to develop and in the end I enjoyed it more for it. Demons Age doesn’t develop. Going up in levels adds HP and combat skills but you have no choice at all and there are no abilities or powers. After slogging to level five I still had nothing to do in combat other than attack or move.

Dialogue, capably voiced at times, is entirely linear. It’s like they took a traditional RPG and made all the choices for you. Aside from being boring it’s completely at odds with my character. I pick races like Drow or Orc because I like them and to see if the game bothers to treat your character choice with any nuance. Regardless of what race you pick you sound like a cheerful human, happy to help everyone you meet in any way possible.

“Skip” and “Skip All” – the cornerstones of all good dialogue.

Placeholder Stats
I’ve played early access games with placeholder graphics but never one with placeholder stats. Or maybe they meant for every weapon to be essentially identical. Shopping in Demons Age is actually a pretty good metaphor for the rest of the game – here are some things, it says, at first they look interesting and varied but then you see they are not, and then you are sad because it took longer than two hours to notice and you can’t get a refund and could have had a bucket of chicken with all the sides instead.

So scimitars cost more, have the same stats and require more skill? Right, I’ll take the club.

A Game is Afoot
The story of how this game came to exist is more interesting than the game. So I’m going to stop reviewing – it’s bad, don’t bother – and tell you about that instead.

In July of 2013 Coreplay stopped development of a very eagerly awaited old school, turn based RPG called Chaos Chronicles. Peter Ohlmann, the developer, claimed the publisher Bitcomposer engaged in typical evil publisher shenanigans, pressuring them to release an unfinished game early and withholding payments even when milestones were reached. The internet promptly renamed the publisher Shitcomposer and created a petition to resume production.

demons-age-pc-review-looks-the-same2.jpg

At least they moved the carpet and got rid of the great lighting.

Sensing this might be bad for PR, Shitcomposer countered with a statement alleging that a Coreplay founder left abruptly and the lawyer and investor who ended up with the shares had strange interpretations of pre-existing contracts.

Peter called bullshit, describing a five hour meeting in which both parties agreed to continue with development only for Shitcomposer to ghost them like they were a date with bad breath.

In an unconvincing interview, Shitcomposer’s Wolfgang Duhr explained that they’re not evil, and the fact that their last game was released early in a messy state has no bearing what so ever on this incredibly similar situation.

Peter responded at length by providing more detail and ending with:

Their strategy is quite clear to us: bitComposer assumes that we will finish developing the game with large sums of borrowed money, whereas bitComposer incurs no further expense. BitComposer would then prevent the marketing of the completed game by Coreplay or a third party on the grounds that this would violate bitComposer’s alleged rights to the game. In this way bitComposer would be able to force us to sell them the game cheaply and under heavy losses. This is why we were not able to borrow further money in order to continue developing ‘Chaos Chronicles’.

Chaos Chronicles died with much lamentation by invested fans. Despite obvious business acumen and flawless PR, Shitcomposer dissolved soon after.

Then, like Bernie Lomax, Chaos Chronicles’ corpse was spotted, a bit worse for wear and now named Demons Age by Bigmoon Entertainment.

It gets a murkier but it seems like Bigmoon bought Shitcomposer’s IP when the company died. That included assets from Shitcomposer’s relationship with Coreplay which it’s not clear at all they had rights to sell, and which Peter expressly requested they not use. They also somehow made them worse despite working for an extra year.

The Score – 40
And I guess that is the story of how a game can have such good bits wrapped in a layer of shady turd. I wouldn’t care very much about the drama if they put out a good game. But it’s bad in every way except presentation and the balance issues border on being game-ending bugs in terms of severity.

I try to finish games whenever possible, even when I’m not enjoying myself. I decided not to considering the pedigree and initial state. I’d have to virtually restart anyway as the game placed me in an unwinnable situation that would take hours to undo. I’d rather share a womb with a badly drawn demon baby for another 10 minutes. My initial high hopes end with a score of 40.

Looks good enough to trick you into blowing the 2-hour refund deadline.

Deleted Member 16721

He ^ is actually being much nicer than I would.

Wait, so fluent wasted 30$ on this? Wtf I like Demons Age now.

Apparently you failed your Intelligence check. I got it for free. And frankly, I wish I hadn't. Whoever on the Codex gave it to me on Steam, if you ever give me a game like that again I will st...well, it's alright. I appreciate getting free games from time to time. Just maybe do a quick background check before sending them my way so another Demons Age doesn't happen again. :grpg:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

one can hope what i dislike about pathfinder is the absolutely generic boring art..

mondblut

Arcane
"Rules For Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable With Paper And Pencil And Miniature Figures" that explain my point... Warhammer is a war game for example and hardly an rpg... While other pen and paper games have also rules to enhance roleplay.... For istance the social skills in D&D..

I guess someone has to actually know shit about RPGs to understand the unintended irony of that statement.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

"Rules For Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable With Paper And Pencil And Miniature Figures" that explain my point... Warhammer is a war game for example and hardly an rpg... While other pen and paper games have also rules to enhance roleplay.... For istance the social skills in D&D..

I guess someone has to actually know shit about RPGs to understand the unintended irony of that statement.

Or maybe i just like to play rpg where you actually can interact with the world more than bashing mobs... differents tastes...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He ^ is actually being much nicer than I would.

Wait, so fluent wasted 30$ on this? Wtf I like Demons Age now.

Apparently you failed your Intelligence check. I got it for free. And frankly, I wish I hadn't. Whoever on the Codex gave it to me on Steam, if you ever give me a game like that again I will st...well, it's alright. I appreciate getting free games from time to time. Just maybe do a quick background check before sending them my way so another Demons Age doesn't happen again. :grpg:
The codex is implementing free loot boxes trial . Like in every gambling system,some times you win.some times you lose.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Or maybe i just like to play rpg where you actually can interact with the world more than bashing mobs... differents tastes...
And how, pray tell, is bashing mobs not interacting with the world. In truth, it's the finest form of interaction, you hit and they hit back.

mondblut

Arcane

And maybe someone else just likes to wipe his ass with colorful pages from Monster Manual. I guess that makes RPGs a toilet paper brand, different tastes and all.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom