Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

deleted

hiver

-

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Could be they just busy. So shields are good mid/endgame you say?
Might as well try it then... Maybe I ought to skip Teron and head straight to Maadoran.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We read all thread/suggestions. We're aware that the popular opinion is that dodge is better. I did read that post on the Steam forums (that it's balanced for the mid-game). Possibly. Most combat skills become a lot more useful once you put more points in them, so block is no different. I believe it provides superior protection but the penalties are too harsh at first. Not sure if it's good or bad yet.

Why no response? Because I don't have an opinion, because I don't have time to think about this issue and discuss it internally. We're still working 12 hours a day and right now the focus is on other things:

- bug fixes
- quest improvements
- tutorial
- interface improvements
- trading, economy, inventories, better items
Our team is too small to handle more tasks at a time. Once we get to shield/block, we'll comment on your suggestions.

If realism is the issue, having a shield should be akin to dual wielding, offensively speaking. Shield bashing wasn't some occasional extra attack - it was a central tactic, much as if you had a shortsword in the off-hand.

It's one of the reasons why actual dual-wielding was very rare and usually viewed as extremely inefficient in comparison.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't feel down, VD; we all agree that you're creating an RPG that tops the competition. You're a good dialogue writer, you've created an interesting world, and you've been able to tie in multiple stories in a way that makes us want to play again and again from multiple different perspectives.

:toasts with a glass of port:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'm not feeling down (or upset that there are issues as that's "all in the game, yo"). It's more like, when you run a beta test, you get a limited picture. First, there are tons of bugs when you start, so that becomes the focus. By the time the bugs are fixed, the testers are used to the game and notice less/accept more. Besides, it's much harder to test a game with multiple, branching questlines than a linear game. We split the testers in two waves, but the picture is still limited. Basically, a beta test is a good way to fix bugs and most glaring issues.

Then you release and get hundreds of impressions, which are transformed into your to-do list. It's not the reason to get sad or emotional, it's the reason to sit down and work your ass off, fixing/adding/tweaking. It gets very overwhelming at times, when issues start piling up faster than you can process them mentally, so at that point we focus on the current priorities and put the rest aside for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom