Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Defense of the Decline

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Infinitron

Thanks! You know, regardless of the negative feedback, it really doesn't look too bad. I honestly think they should have released it. Now, this is just Candlekeep and char gen, so maybe it was 10 CD's or there was another problem. I don't know, but if it would have prevented one child from playing Final Fantasy VII, it would have been worth it...

Ffordesoon

Novice
i never managed to get very far in Baldur’s Gate, because the size and scope of the game intimidated me

Fuck you and your bullshit

Ha! I smiled at that.

Probably worth noting that I was a kid when it came out. That whole paragraph, in fact, is meant to describe my perspective then, not now. If I failed to communicate that effectively, I apologize. That would not be the only thing I failed to communicate effectively in that post.

Also worth noting: I was playing devil's advocate, not "defending the decline," as this thread's title implies. I actually do believe that RPGs have declined in many significant ways. I just don't subscribe to the Codexian narrative of decline, and attempting to explain that time spent toiling in the console salt mines would make Project Eternity a sharper game by virtue of the fact that Obsidian have had to do more with less for so long.

EDIT:

Daemongar

If they'd released BG PS1 as it appears in that video, it would have flopped. Badly.

Not saying it would have been a bad game, but no one would have bought it, especially not a kid who wanted Final Fantasy VII instead.

Oh, and BTW, I am in no way a programmer, and was just picking up on something MCA said in a few interviews about console memory limitations. If I'm in error there, I apologize.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i never managed to get very far in Baldur’s Gate, because the size and scope of the game intimidated me

Ha! I smiled at that.

Probably worth noting that I was a kid when it came out. That whole paragraph, in fact, is meant to describe my perspective then, not now. If I failed to communicate that effectively, I apologize. That would not be the only thing I failed to communicate effectively in that post.

Also worth noting: I was playing devil's advocate, not "defending the decline," as this thread's title implies. I actually do believe that RPGs have declined in many significant ways. I just don't subscribe to the Codexian narrative of decline, and attempting to explain that time spent toiling in the console salt mines would make Project Eternity a sharper game by virtue of the fact that Obsidian have had to do more with less for so long.

EDIT:

Daemongar

If they'd released BG PS1 as it appears in that video, it would have flopped. Badly.

Not saying it would have been a bad game, but no one would have bought it, especially not a kid who wanted Final Fantasy VII instead.

Oh, and BTW, I am in no way a programmer, and was just picking up on something MCA said in a few interviews about console memory limitations. If I'm in error there, I apologize.

there's your problem
decent rpgs are not for kids
and BG was only half decent
the decline also happened because stupid kids were complaining that OH THIS IS TOO DIFFICULT WHY CAN'T I WIN ALL BATTLES BY CLICKING A BUTTON AND WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE THE GOOD GUYS AND THE BAD GUYS SO I KNOW WHICH SIDE TO CHOOSE

and because stupid kids had their parents buy them stuff, publishers were all over their tiny dicks, guzzling on them

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: Daemongar was actually the one who mentioned kids first.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar

Ha! I smiled at that.

EDIT:

Daemongar

there's your problem
decent rpgs are not for kids
and BG was only half decent
the decline also happened because stupid kids were complaining that OH THIS IS TOO DIFFICULT WHY CAN'T I WIN ALL BATTLES BY CLICKING A BUTTON AND WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE THE GOOD GUYS AND THE BAD GUYS SO I KNOW WHICH SIDE TO CHOOSE

and because stupid kids had their parents buy them stuff, publishers were all over their tiny dicks, guzzling on them

It does bother me a little that it doesn't seem like A CRPG can be for kids. It didn't seem like it used to be that way. Even if Ultima 2 is from an adult hindsight view about a lot of killing and stealing, from a kid's standpoint it was the same as turtle genocide in Mario (you are just interacting with colorful decorations hung over mechanics in order to win the game).

Now, it seems like everyone acknowledges the playerbase is too old for stuff that would be more appealing for a pre-teen to mid-teens (sorry I'm talking from a middle USA perspective of young people content) person and thus has to be more like the grown-up player-base views the adult world.

Now this is neither here nor there- I believe there should be people in the industry making games that people on the Codex would want. My thought was why shouldn't developers here in the west also try to do what Nintendo of America was so successful with, making a kid really feel like an adventurer/ing party?

kris

Arcane
I wasn't going to bother with this, but since he is here i will bring back the old-school big posts.

If I may engage in some good old-fashioned country lawyerin’ for the Prince Of Lies, while I agree that features have been removed from RPGs over the years, have the games really gotten substantially dumber?

The answer is yes. Moreso in some cases than others.

[/quote]
More combat-focused, certainly, but that’s closer in spirit to pre-90s RPGs like Wizardry and Bard’s Tale than most fans of those games would let on. [/quote]

More or less combat don't put the games "in spirit" with other games, at best they get closer in genre. It is how the combat works that would put them in the same spirit. And most people here wouldn't say the problem is that there is more combat, what most people think is bad is either that the combat is action-oriented or that it is boring and shit.

I would only agree that we had games both now and in the past that threw in loads of combat to just artificially prolong the games lenght.

They have narrowed their focus to a single protagonist in a lot of cases, but there are plenty of well-respected games throughout the history of the genre that did the same.

What has this to do with decline or anything? Mostly this is just about a preference. A single protagonist and in particular a pre-set protagonist is only about story-focus.

There are fewer nuanced role-playing options, but it could be argued that the ones that are still there are more meaningful. And so on.

What a deep and strong argument, you really sold this one. wait, you didn't back this up at all. You concluded that there actually is less, but then alluded to that they might be deeper.

I dunno, maybe it’s just an instinctive reaction to the phrase “dumbing down” that I have, but it seems to me that doing things like making the interface more intuitive to people who hadn’t already played a lot of cRPGs were net positives for the genre.

Funny then that we often complain about the interface, in particular for the dumbed down games that was created for consoles. Just check the horrible inventory of KOTOR, is that the "intuitive interface" you are talking about? That interface have improved overall since the earliest computer games is true, but that is not about "dumbing down". Less options in a game isn't the same thing as a "improved interface".

It could be argued that the games have gotten less intellectual, and there’s no arguing that they’ve gotten less tactically interesting in a whole bunch of ways, but I don’t know that the genre should have continued as it was before the EEE-VIL consoles got ahold of it.

Another non-argument. Maybe i was dumb to start responding to this... Second half of above sentence makes no sense.

1) Console memory limitations. PC-only RPGs have always been distinguished by their vast, nearly seamless landscapes, whereas I still vividly remember starting up KOTOR on my Xbox and expecting Baldur’s Gate through a Star Wars lens, and being horrified at how tiny so many of the environments were. I didn’t understand what the eff memory was; I just knew the whole game felt hideously small.

Bioware tunnel design detected.

On the orher hand, not only did I love the game, but I completed it. i never managed to get very far in Baldur’s Gate, because the size and scope of the game intimidated me.

Baldurs gate can be completed quicker than KOTOR. What you highlight here is your inability to find your own way, in fact what most people here complain about, that players are to dumb to make their way through a game. In KOTOR you are led on your way much more than in Baldurs gate. BG is not much bigger (BG2 was), but you have more options to diverge and stray from the main quest and it is more in the background. I would prefer KOTOR over BG too, but for other reasons.

It wouldn’t now, so much, but my point is that the memory limitation led to tighter, more focused level design on Bioware’s part, which ultimately made it easier on me and people like me, who had always admired the IE games for their depth, but been frightened to play them because of that depth. Which leads me to my point: console memory limitations made RPGs feel much smaller, yes, but they also forced developers like Obsidian to hone their level design skills and

This is all over the place. In which way would you say Bioware has honed their "level-design"? From what I seen they just made it more and more like tunnels. That is not design, that is just a way to force the player to consume their content in a chronolgical order so you can follow their "awesome" story. Also, what you say about "memory limitation" is just an assumption. Hm

make it easier for players to move around, which I don’t think is a bad thing at all for Project Eternity or the rest of the Kickstalgia bunch.

You don't move around in a tunnel, you follow it.

2) A lot of people would say gamepads here, and certainly, what allegedly feels best on a gamepad was the motivating factor behind a lot of these changes, but the real problem was the disdain for and ultimate elimination of menu-based interaction with the world, which can be done perfectly well on a gamepad.

another assumption. You are also wrong. Classic RPG didn't work on what you call a menu-based interaction and menus has no disappeared. What disappeared is features and numbers. What the gamepad has done is made the user-interface become worse, the interface you claimed is better earlier. what gamepads couldn't do well is the "click and drag" that you can do with a mouse, which have worsened the interface, in particular to equipment. One of the reasons the new XCOM now have more or less elimination equipment. Why going through weapons in Mass effect was painful. the gamepad and consoles is also what has moved the games into being action-oriented since that is what a gamepad work best as.

A lot of console players grew up playing the PS1 Final Fantasies, and I don’t know a single one who says that the well-designed menus of those games feel worse than real-time combat. In point of fact, a lot of them still feel that it’s superior to banging away at some mook in a game like Skyrim, and think the moment when FF went wrong was its introduction of true real-time elements to the combat. So there’s absolutely a big contingent of console players who are willing to play a menu-based game if it’s presented well.

Now you just don't know what you are talking about. You are comparing the turn-based old JRPGs with a new first-person wRPG for no other reason than creating a point that don't exist. The elder scroll games have always played like this and all the decline we talked about here is simplification and dumbing down unrelated to its real-time combat that has ALWAYS been real-time. While the final fantasies always had menu-based combat. Personally I think the FF combat is really boring though, 95% of the battles you just press "attack" and watch enemy HP disappear.

The upside of the elimination of menu-based interaction to the genre as a whole is twofold: it forced developers to sweep away a lot of the crusty old bullshit that nobody actually liked about the old cRPGs and focus on intuitive design, and it forced them to think about the power of quality combat animation and proper visual feedback for the player.

Like I already said. The menu-based interaction has never disappeared, it has just been simplfied. If you think otherwise, tell me in which games it disappeared. Please also explain what the "crusty old bullshit" is. Explain the games with intuitive design. I agree though that they care about combat animations, I don't.

Let’s face it: cRPGs have a history of crap visual feedback. Originally the feedback was text-based, which mitigated the issue a whole hell of a lot, but once the games started cutting back on or entirely eliminating the classic “all of your stats, equipment, etc. are visible, and the actual game is being played in a teeny-tiny box in the middle of the screen” GUI and text readout to focus on more immersive design (which was itself a net positive, I think), the visuals just weren’t enough to deliver the needed feedback adequately. You can see this in games as recent as Morrowind, where the player could appear to stab a monster, but actually miss completely, with nary a “You Missed!” in sight to contextualize it as a dice-roll game.

Yes. i remember when the codex talked about Morrowind and stupid people who didn't understand the system. That said, I had to track back here and see what your argument really were. what you wrote above is not about smarter or dumber. Text based or visual representation show it both to the player, the textual is clearer, while the visual looks better. This is a technical issue and a reason why game costs have surged. As eternity is a IE based game this won't be a issue, it will be textbased, the clearest representation.

The intuitive design thing is an obvious benefit. It’s been taken too far in many cases in order to make the game idiot-proof, but Western RPG interfaces were hideously shonky, ultra-intimidating things until very recently, and that created a barrier to entry that needed to be lowered. The awful stay-outta-my-treehouse mentality those interfaces encouraged is still an issue, of course, but at least the interfaces themselves aren’t absolute shit now.

what intuitive design. I see loads of new games with worse interface than older ones. that despite the fact that technical progress should always go forward. Or is it so that the "ultra-intimidating" things you talk about is features and depth? you want an "awesome" button don't you? Or one for "melee" and another for magic, with your characters auto-equipping items.

Obsidian’s experience in dealing with both of these factors on consoles will help Project Eternity immeasurably from an accessibility standpoint, which is important whether or not you want it to be.

but working on consoles have made obsolutely nothing to improve accessibility. Please give just one example! If anything it has made it worse, I give examples already.

3) The rise of MMOs, and of WOW specifically. I’m not even knocking WOW, because it’s foolish to knock a successful thing for inspiring imitators. It is a spectacularly well-crafted game; that’s something even I can see, and I pretty much hate it. But what it did was create a mentality among developers and/or publishers and/or players (don’t wanna blame anyone unfairly here) that all RPGs were about loot. Some people like to blame Diablo or Diablo II for that, but that’s bullshit. While both games were undoubtedly magnets for loot fiends, and while both games were popular, it wasn’t until WOW achieved global domination that we started seeing every single-player RPG developer going, “The loot in our game is epic!” and “Our fans always complain because the party member who leaves had some awesome gear!” and blah-de-blah.

your points now contradict each other. Maybe because you mix so many very different games and points that you don't know were you are going. importance of loot is not prevalent in many of the games you talked about before you brought this up. Your last sentences is something I guess you heard about, but not I. When did the Bioware developers talk about all their loot? When did Bethesda? When did Obsidian? If anything they even offer powerful items from the start to sell collectors editions. (it is not loot then!)

I don’t care about loot. If it’s really visually impressive or has a neat story behind it, I might look at it for a few seconds, but the only thing I actually care about is what it does for me.

?

i will say, however, that the popularization of different types of crafting systems was probably a good thing for the genre as a whole. Oblivion had as much to do with that as WOW, but WOW is primarily to blame/thank for it. I think crafting and enchanting are nifty, but more importantly, they open up alternate avenues of evolution for cRPGs and give the player a path of meaningful advancement that doesn’t involve killing things.

Carfting has been around much longer than that. What are you trying to say?

Also, WOW has grown the size of the audience for cRPGs a hundredfold, which is great for everybody.

WOW have grown the size of the audience for WOW. Which is great for Blizzard/Activision.

Okay, let’s see here, what was my original point…?

Yes, we all wonder that.

Ah, yes! Basically, I’m saying that the alleged “dumbing down” of cRPGs has, at the end of the day, been extremely beneficial to the genre in a lot of ways, and will be helpful to the Kickstalgia games when they’re released. The games themselves may not have always been to our taste, but the experience gained from making those games will result in better neoclassical cRPGs, which is good for everybody.

You have not said that at all. You have just rambled in different directions, backed nothing up been completely incorrect about some things. You have just said that you prefer short focused story games and for some reason believed "menus" have disappeared. I could easily make a much better post on the benfits of "dumbing down", but that would not be about benefits for me or pretty much anyone in this forum. Or even for the games. It would be about benefits for people who either can't or won't really bother with roleplaying games. Or the ones who like Hepler prefers a interactive story that is interrupted as seldom as possible.

kris

Arcane
How did I know that was coming? :lol:

Maybe I did to much in cutting your post. I get the impression you just wanted to be contrarian and then just wrote down whatever came to mind. Your points are all over the place and you put little to back anything up more than "its better".

Sabriana

Learned
I wasn't going to bother with this, but since he is here i will bring back the old-school big posts.

And a very good post it was, I simply cut a lot of it because of, well, you can read the original, no sense quoting all of it once again, although it deserves it, imo. I can't give you a sis-fist, or broette fist if you prefer that, but I can give you one of those instead:

:bro:

It said in the article:

There are fewer nuanced role-playing options, but it could be argued that the ones that are still there are more meaningful. And so on.

Thanks for requoting that, I never received an answer when I questioned the same passage. I was starting to feel frightfully ignored. :D

I do like your answer though.

Kris wrote:
What a deep and strong argument, you really sold this one. wait, you didn't back this up at all. You concluded that there actually is less, but then alluded to that they might be deeper.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
what gamepads couldn't do well is the "click and drag" that you can do with a mouse,

kris: I honestly have no idea why this is. The first N64 game I ever had, Super Mario 64, has a minigame that was repeated in the first Mario Party at least that uses a combination of analog stick and A button to drag and drop features on Mario's face. The other game I got that Christmas 1996 was Star Wars Shadows of the Empire. It has a free-moving cursor to select the file name letters that still has great control with an N64 controller analog stick I can make dance with a little shake of the controller in my hand. So, I do very much wonder why no one paid any attention to these day one innovations that could have mimicked mouse interfaces in turn-based games.... from a console that is nearly 16 years old!

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
what gamepads couldn't do well is the "click and drag" that you can do with a mouse,

kris: I honestly have no idea why this is. The first N64 game I ever had, Super Mario 64, has a minigame that was repeated in the first Mario Party at least that uses a combination of analog stick and A button to drag and drop features on Mario's face. The other game I got that Christmas 1996 was Star Wars Shadows of the Empire. It has a free-moving cursor to select the file name letters that still has great control with an N64 controller analog stick I can make dance with a little shake of the controller in my hand. So, I do very much wonder why no one paid any attention to these day one innovations that could have mimicked mouse interfaces in turn-based games.... from a console that is nearly 16 years old!
I do not really understand why most games today (especially FPS) dont allow a mouse/keyboard on a console. Since everything pretty much is now cross ported to PC/Xbawx/PS3 why not include all control schemes for all systems?

My PS3 works with a mouse/keyboard but most games do not. Playing a FPS is (rto me) nearly impossible with a controller but rather intuitive with mouse/keyboard.

They are going to be ported no matter what (there is no going back- In fact now the PC version is secondary) so couldnt the "decline" be helped by allowing this choice? Woudltn it be simple to implement (since the PS3 uses a damn mouse/keyboard anyhow)

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
You ignored the key word in that post, "well".

And I would say it was fine. I also said turn-based games, in which the classification of "fine" would be apt for consoles seeing as games have forgotten these small wonders of the early analog stick while continuing to use Dragon Quest's ancient snap-cursor.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar

I do not really understand why most games today (especially FPS) dont allow a mouse/keyboard on a console. Since everything pretty much is now cross ported to PC/Xbawx/PS3 why not include all control schemes for all systems?

My PS3 works with a mouse/keyboard but most games do not. Playing a FPS is (rto me) nearly impossible with a controller but rather intuitive with mouse/keyboard.

They are going to be ported no matter what (there is no going back- In fact now the PC version is secondary) so couldnt the "decline" be helped by allowing this choice? Woudltn it be simple to implement (since the PS3 uses a damn mouse/keyboard anyhow)

I think it has to do with programming... mouse and analog stick sending different inputs and all. Some people are fine with an analog stick (or possibly that they like using the secoond analog for waking and strafing... at least that's why Metroid Prime trilogy on Wwii is my favorite fpp game vs. something with a little more accuracy like Mine Craft or Morrowind). I have seen a gameboard with an analog stick for movement, so this might remedy some no-analog stick fears.

What I was getting at is that a drag and drop mouse interface for a turn-based game using a gamepad should have been possible since Christmas 1996. I think ti's a shame that so little experimentation was done.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Balance issues. Keyboard and mouse players rape controller players too badly.

Ffordesoon

Novice
kris

Those are great points. I certainly don't think that's the best thing I've ever written about RPGs, and I agree with pretty much all of your criticisms of the piece as an argument. I especially agree that it's a big old ramble that doesn't really end up going anywhere, which is a problem I face a lot.

I don't necessarily agree with your assessment of the current industry, but I agree with more of what you just said than I agree with what I said in the original post.

But I would argue that part of the problem is the context within which it's been presented here versus the context within which it was originally composed. While I agree that a stronger, more well-researched/reasoned argument is always better, and that my piece has major flaws that I would have attempted to address in subsequent drafts, I think it's important to remember that I was commenting on another person's post, not presenting an argument in a vacuum. There's a difference between a comment on a blog post and a blog post. Had I known my analysis was going up here before I wrote it, I would have built a stronger case, not relied on assumption much or at all, and gone through multiple drafts of the post. But that, to me, is the stuff of blog posts and essays, not comments. Comments are meant to raise points and provoke discussion, not to conclusively prove a point.

Also, it's actually meant as a "devil's advocate" piece, not a defense. It's me trying (and failing, obviously) to find the logic in arguments that seem counterintuitive, not me defending counterintuitive arguments.

None of which excuses the shoddy level of argumentation on display. I regret that, and I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to dismantle my argument piece by piece. I love criticism, because it challenges me and helps me improve as a writer. :)

As far as my "wanting to be contrarian" is concerned, I think there is probably some of that in there - it's always good to challenge an ingrained opinion, if only to strengthen said opinion. But nothing I said was said solely to troll, if that's what you're implying. I was trying to see the logic in the other side of the argument, as I mentioned above. If you equate that with trollng, then by your definition I was, but I wasn't trying to piss anyone off.

Oh, and the flippant response to idonthavetimeforthiscrap's post was simply because I doubt I'll ever convince him or her of a damn thing. If "Decent RPGs aren't for kids" is his starting point, then we have nothing to talk about, because I think decent RPGs are for everyone willing to engage with them. That's notably different from saying that decent RPGs are for everyone, period; I think that sentiment is what got us into trouble in the first place. As Josh Sawyer has rightly noted, designing mechanics explicitly for people who hate those mechanics is simply a bad idea.

Oh, and just to give you an idea of what I absolutely fucking despise about modern RPGs: "awesome buttons" (which didn't even fucking work as a design tenet in Dragon Age 2; the only thing that it helped with was giving better visual feedback to the player, which should've been done in the first fucking game anyway, but it wasn't, because they played too much fucking WOW and it made them forget that simply showing glowy status effects isn't proper goddamn visual feedback on any level when you're not looking at sprites from overhead - and no, I didn't play Origins in "Baldur's Gate 2" mode, because it was annoyingly disorienting to constantly be going into zoomed-in cinemas with fancy camera tricks and then smash-cutting to me looking down from the sky at teeny-tiny people), mandatory tutorials, irritatingly exact quest markers, the way they dole out constant meaningless gratification, choices that might as well be "press X to evil," no choices at all, an exclusive focus on combat mechanics at the expense of non-combat mechanics, an exclusive focus on lethality at the expense of nonlethal play, combat that is solely based around hitting the bad guy until he dies (we have Diablo and its ilk for that, thanks - and yes, I am far too fond of long parenthetical asides, and I do recognize that it's a flaw), a near-total lack of roleplaying options for my class outside of combat, the MMO mentality that's infected single-player games, the belief that a fetch quest is anywhere near an actual side quest, Bioware tunnel design (good name for it!), childishly written and hideously overbearing romances designed to make the player (as opposed to the PC) feel like he has a significant other, the way those romances are structured by the game design to be "rewards" for the player, mannequin sex scenes where the clothes stay on because Fox News, the way it's impossible to find out details about some characters without romancing them, the complete lack of optional content or exploration, the way everyone seems to have heard of my character and his or her heroic deeds and thus feels duty-bound to remind him or her of them at every opportunity, morality meters, essential NPCs, unkillable children (either don't put them in the world or let me be as horrible to them as I am to anyone else), the trend of entirely removing interesting features rather than spending development time fixing them, the way efficient design is prioritized over the quality of the player's experience, the focus on better graphics over better gameplay, the weak writing, the lack of tactical variety, the lack of party control, the lack of granular mechanics, the focus on giving minmaxers what they want, the adherence to fantasy cliches, the focus on "save the world" plots, the way a lot of the most interesting lore could almost be from an entirely separate game given how little of it is actually on show or affects the mechanics, the way the player's idiocy is taken for granted, the way companions are forced on me whether I want them or not, the lack of party creation, the insistence on giving the PC a voice, the lack of a good overhead/isometric perspective, the way the hand of the designer roughly shoves me along along a certain path instead of gently guiding me, the insistence on bashing me over the head with declarative dialogue explaining the lore, the stupidity of so many NPCs... The list, perhaps surprisingly, goes on.

Many of these things were not always issues for me, it's true. Many of them are also ones I can ignore. The Baldur's Gate/KOTOR comparison I laid out in my post is based entirely on the way I felt when both of those games came out, not on the way I feel now. I would have probably appreciated an "awesome button" very much when I was younger. I don't care about it now, and it wouldn't have fixed the real problem anyway.

Sabriana

The reason I didn't answer your question is because Kris is right. That statement was an unequivocally stupid one to make, and it's the bit I regret putting in there more than any other. What I meant by it was that because there are less choices, the ones that are still in the games can feel (and I do mean "feel," because they aren't serious at all unless you buy into the illusion of choice something like Mass Effect creates) more serious and life-or-death, because you aren't constantly making choices.

I definitely don't agree with that argument, and in fact find it heinous, which is why I was careful to say it "could be argued" and not that I was the one arguing for that point. Not that that helped people understand what I was saying any better. Also, "meaningful" was the wrong word for what I was getting at anyway. "Serious" or "impactful" is better.

kris

Arcane
I think it has to do with programming... mouse and analog stick sending different inputs and all. Some people are fine with an analog stick (or possibly that they like using the secoond analog for waking and strafing... at least that's why Metroid Prime trilogy on Wwii is my favorite fpp game vs. something with a little more accuracy like Mine Craft or Morrowind). I have seen a gameboard with an analog stick for movement, so this might remedy some no-analog stick fears.

What I was getting at is that a drag and drop mouse interface for a turn-based game using a gamepad should have been possible since Christmas 1996. I think ti's a shame that so little experimentation was done.

A controller is to slow and unprecise in comparison to a mouse. In a turn-based game it works okay, since there is no time-pressure, but in anything real-time you are at a serious disadvantage. But even if it works okay in a turn-based any player used to a mouse would be frustrated if they had to use a pad instead.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar

A controller is to slow and unprecise in comparison to a mouse. In a turn-based game it works okay, since there is no time-pressure, but in anything real-time you are at a serious disadvantage. But even if it works okay in a turn-based any player used to a mouse would be frustrated if they had to use a pad instead.

Which is why I brought it up for consoles that use analog sticks. What does it matter- this is just the usual what-if speculation... no one who could try something out (someone who can publish on a console) ever cares. Also, I just haven't been able to mesh into PC gaming, so my thought process tends to go towards what did work before Internet addiction killed most of my other interests... not joking.

Murk

Arcane
Tangential post:

I have been a long-time defender of Torment as sticking true to PnP RPGs in being one of very few games that allowed for such detailed interaction with the environment, items, NPCs, and even less tangible things like memories with plenty of stat or class checks. This was before 3.0, so skills weren't in the game, but stats, abilities, and classes were and the game REGULARLY had you prove your "mettle" based on those characteristics.

Con checks when ripping eyeballs out, Dex checks when trying to kill NPCs, Wis checks when observing how thieves are robbing you to increase your pick-pocket skill, etc. The game had plenty of situations where you had to use your character's stats to interact somehow and a lot of the game was dependent on your character's build in terms of what you could do and what you would experience.

I realize the storyline and CYOA style of gameplay overshadows those factors, but rest assured, the game had a ton of stat/ability/character checks the way a proper RPG should.

Heh, having read Ffordesoon (sp) post I felt compelled to add the rest.

Choices and Consequences don't just come in the form of picking which mission to take and whether or not you ally group X over group Y, real C&C is dependent on the game allowing for a multitude of possible outcomes as based on a system that can accommodate player choices. Things like which skills to use, which items to bring, how you complete quests, and even something as simple as the order in which you enter rooms. It seems the way C&C is used differs greatly on whether people ever played table-top or not, and got to actually experience emergent gameplay.

Ffordesoon

Novice
Mikayel

I agree on all counts, especially about Torment. I think putting all your points into WIS and INT has become so commonplace over the years that it's easy to forget just how stat-driven it is even outside of combat. I'm playing a run through it right now, and it's astonishing how many skill checks you can fail without it ever seeming like you're failing skill checks. For example, I've got super-high WIS and INT, but you can't meet the Silent King in the Dead Nations without killing them all unless your CHA is above 15. It doesn't ever feel like you're missing anything if you don't have the required points, but there are tons of extras in there for differently specced builds to find.

I'm totally with you on what choice and consequence should mean, too. I simply don't mind the absence of that level of fidelity in some games. My issue with today's market is that almost every game lacks that level of fidelity.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
On the topic of C&C... I have low expectations for Fallout 4 because of BGS's current design philosophy. Originally Fallout was built around the ideas of the player having options to customize the way their character can interact with the game world and having the game react, as much as possible, to what the does. :hearnoevil: Todd Howard stated in MANY video interviews how he prescribes to the ideas that the player should have constant ego stroke feedback, not be locked out of being able to do anything (why the fuck do they even bother putting skills in TES since he wants to negate their purpose), and for as many quests to be as epic as possible (why so many 'save the world' quests are in the game outside of the main story). Obisidian tried to reinstate all of the RPG mechanics Todd and his trained monkeys ripped out of the formula, but I just don't see BGS learning anything from that. OE put in a ton more stat and skill checks for dialogue and world interaction options, gave SPECIAL attributes more impact on skills (still not as much as the original games though), and tweaked the damage and armor systems a bit back toward the original instead of TES's generic, shit system. BGS were either geniuses in the way they made 3 accessible to the console masses and are gradually incrementing the design toward real RPG status; or more likely they threw the old fans a bone to shut them up and stop giving them negative press (most likely the latter:balance: ). It is obvious that BGS want to make RPGs for people who don't like RPGs.... so Fallout: Post-apocalyptic Hiking Simulator 2 it will be.

BGS will learn nothing from Bioware's mistakes either. Bioware is now trying to leech some of Skyrim's success in DA 3... so I bet BGS will try to put in awesome buttons (maybe VATS already counts as that) and romance mini-games to steal from the Biodrone crowd.

Fuck... I really rambled off topic. Whenever the topic of modern RPGs comes up I just go red with rage over Fallout 3. :x
:rage:BGS!!! :deadhorse:

Ffordesoon

Novice
I liked Fallout 3 for what it was, but what it was was the worst proper Fallout game ever.

Which really means that it's a solid game. Probably a seven out of ten for me. As a Fallout sequel, it's more like a five out of ten, but it's a pretty good game that I enjoyed playing.

New Vegas was, you know, the actual Fallout 3, and had much more of what one would expect from a Fallout game. Bethesda's game is the one that feels like a spinoff. But I thought it was pretty good.

I do agree that Todd Howard's philosophy of not locking players out of content and constantly stroking the player's ego needs to die. Even a lot of people who I'd consider casual gamers found the way that philosophy was taken to its extreme in Skyrim incredibly off-putting, and they're the people it was presumably meant to attract. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the most casual players shout "Nothing I do matters!" in frustration. I loved Skyrim, and I still hated that part of it. And many others. But let's not get into that.

Lubulos

Educated
"Nothing I do matters!"

I think this is exactly what the :decline: is all about. Every modern game makes me feel... powerless. Like I'm watching a movie (and boy, I hate movies). I still remember the first time I killed a Deku Baba in TLoZ: OO; the simple fact that it would drop different things according to how you would kill it humiliates every modern game. Or the trial scene in CT: when I realized that everything I did at the festival could be used against me, it scared the shit out of me (I was very little :D). Now, we have games where you can kill dragons with your bare fists and marry a hot chick by just saying her "Are you interested in me?". Try that in real life, it will be funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom