Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Defense of the Decline

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The RPS commenter "ffordesoon" (who also posts on the Wasteland 2 forums) is an apologist for decline, but he is pretty articulate. Let's see how the Codex handles this wall of text:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ernity-old-school-innovation/#comment-1102199

If I may engage in some good old-fashioned country lawyerin’ for the Prince Of Lies, while I agree that features have been removed from RPGs over the years, have the games really gotten substantially dumber?

More combat-focused, certainly, but that’s closer in spirit to pre-90s RPGs like Wizardry and Bard’s Tale than most fans of those games would let on. They have narrowed their focus to a single protagonist in a lot of cases, but there are plenty of well-respected games throughout the history of the genre that did the same. There are fewer nuanced role-playing options, but it could be argued that the ones that are still there are more meaningful. And so on.

I dunno, maybe it’s just an instinctive reaction to the phrase “dumbing down” that I have, but it seems to me that doing things like making the interface more intuitive to people who hadn’t already played a lot of cRPGs were net positives for the genre. It could be argued that the games have gotten less intellectual, and there’s no arguing that they’ve gotten less tactically interesting in a whole bunch of ways, but I don’t know that the genre should have continued as it was before the EEE-VIL consoles got ahold of it.

There are three things to blame for the so-called “decline” of cRPGs (which is not a narrative I subscribe to), in my opinion, and only one of those is inarguably the fault of the console boxes:

1) Console memory limitations. PC-only RPGs have always been distinguished by their vast, nearly seamless landscapes, whereas I still vividly remember starting up KOTOR on my Xbox and expecting Baldur’s Gate through a Star Wars lens, and being horrified at how tiny so many of the environments were. I didn’t understand what the eff memory was; I just knew the whole game felt hideously small.

On the orher hand, not only did I love the game, but I completed it. i never managed to get very far in Baldur’s Gate, because the size and scope of the game intimidated me. It wouldn’t now, so much, but my point is that the memory limitation led to tighter, more focused level design on Bioware’s part, which ultimately made it easier on me and people like me, who had always admired the IE games for their depth, but been frightened to play them because of that depth. Which leads me to my point: console memory limitations made RPGs feel much smaller, yes, but they also forced developers like Obsidian to hone their level design skills and make it easier for players to move around, which I don’t think is a bad thing at all for Project Eternity or the rest of the Kickstalgia bunch.

2) A lot of people would say gamepads here, and certainly, what allegedly feels best on a gamepad was the motivating factor behind a lot of these changes, but the real problem was the disdain for and ultimate elimination of menu-based interaction with the world, which can be done perfectly well on a gamepad. A lot of console players grew up playing the PS1 Final Fantasies, and I don’t know a single one who says that the well-designed menus of those games feel worse than real-time combat. In point of fact, a lot of them still feel that it’s superior to banging away at some mook in a game like Skyrim, and think the moment when FF went wrong was its introduction of true real-time elements to the combat. So there’s absolutely a big contingent of console players who are willing to play a menu-based game if it’s presented well.

The upside of the elimination of menu-based interaction to the genre as a whole is twofold: it forced developers to sweep away a lot of the crusty old bullshit that nobody actually liked about the old cRPGs and focus on intuitive design, and it forced them to think about the power of quality combat animation and proper visual feedback for the player.

Let’s face it: cRPGs have a history of crap visual feedback. Originally the feedback was text-based, which mitigated the issue a whole hell of a lot, but once the games started cutting back on or entirely eliminating the classic “all of your stats, equipment, etc. are visible, and the actual game is being played in a teeny-tiny box in the middle of the screen” GUI and text readout to focus on more immersive design (which was itself a net positive, I think), the visuals just weren’t enough to deliver the needed feedback adequately. You can see this in games as recent as Morrowind, where the player could appear to stab a monster, but actually miss completely, with nary a “You Missed!” in sight to contextualize it as a dice-roll game.

The intuitive design thing is an obvious benefit. It’s been taken too far in many cases in order to make the game idiot-proof, but Western RPG interfaces were hideously shonky, ultra-intimidating things until very recently, and that created a barrier to entry that needed to be lowered. The awful stay-outta-my-treehouse mentality those interfaces encouraged is still an issue, of course, but at least the interfaces themselves aren’t absolute shit now.

Obsidian’s experience in dealing with both of these factors on consoles will help Project Eternity immeasurably from an accessibility standpoint, which is important whether or not you want it to be.

3) The rise of MMOs, and of WOW specifically. I’m not even knocking WOW, because it’s foolish to knock a successful thing for inspiring imitators. It is a spectacularly well-crafted game; that’s something even I can see, and I pretty much hate it. But what it did was create a mentality among developers and/or publishers and/or players (don’t wanna blame anyone unfairly here) that all RPGs were about loot. Some people like to blame Diablo or Diablo II for that, but that’s bullshit. While both games were undoubtedly magnets for loot fiends, and while both games were popular, it wasn’t until WOW achieved global domination that we started seeing every single-player RPG developer going, “The loot in our game is epic!” and “Our fans always complain because the party member who leaves had some awesome gear!” and blah-de-blah.

I don’t care about loot. If it’s really visually impressive or has a neat story behind it, I might look at it for a few seconds, but the only thing I actually care about is what it does for me.

i will say, however, that the popularization of different types of crafting systems was probably a good thing for the genre as a whole. Oblivion had as much to do with that as WOW, but WOW is primarily to blame/thank for it. I think crafting and enchanting are nifty, but more importantly, they open up alternate avenues of evolution for cRPGs and give the player a path of meaningful advancement that doesn’t involve killing things.

Of course, most games completely balls it up, but I still think the idea is a good one, and Project Eternity’s implementation of it sounds aces.

Also, WOW has grown the size of the audience for cRPGs a hundredfold, which is great for everybody.

Okay, let’s see here, what was my original point…?

Ah, yes! Basically, I’m saying that the alleged “dumbing down” of cRPGs has, at the end of the day, been extremely beneficial to the genre in a lot of ways, and will be helpful to the Kickstalgia games when they’re released. The games themselves may not have always been to our taste, but the experience gained from making those games will result in better neoclassical cRPGs, which is good for everybody.

Captain Shrek

Also, WOW has grown the size of the audience for cRPGs a hundredfold, which is great for everybody.

There you go. I think I found the problem.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:mob:
witch+burning.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Why do you post tl;dr posts so often, especially when the author is such a retard like in this case

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
This may be articulate, but this is still bullshit.
The main point he misses is just the clash of two largely irreconcilable logics in today's bastardized CRPGs :
- first one follows the natural evolution of RPGs from their wargame roots, regularly forcing time to a standstill and enabling you to control a multitude of things via menus ; the player must be overlooking the action and thus is partly exterior to it ;
- second one was imported from the FPS and is is a logic of immersion and simultaneity : everything must be doable quickly and on the spot, and accessible via hud or shortcut so as not to break the "first person" illusion ;

So the FPS logic is not superior from the get go. It's just that, as CRPGs depend heavily on menus and different interfaces, the clunckiness and technical limitations of old weigh all the more on them. Every type of game in the early 90s had a primitive interface and gave visual feedback compared to today's market standards. But FPSs possess the advantage of having been born to provide immediate immersion, so how is that a surprise that they feel less cluncky ?! That's what made them FPSs for fuck's sake !!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ffordesoon said:
Well, it’s also not a defense. It’s an analysis, and a heavily flawed one. Josh Sawyer said much the same thing, albeit in far less words, in the recent Gamasutra piece on Project Eternity.

Not that I expect Codexian views to align with my own, since they’re – and I say this with sincere affection – complete fucking lunatics who love RPGs so much that they hate them.

EDIT: Oh, and tell “Cosmo” that he makes a pretty good point.

EDIT 2: About wargame rules vs. FPS rules. He’s completely wrong, of course; the cRPG isn’t a wargame or an RPG, and treating it as such ignores everything that makes it a cRPG and not an RPG.

EDIT 3 (siiiiiiigh): And by RPG, I very specifically mean pen and paper RPG in that instance. That’s not clear from the context clues in the previous statement.

Grimlorn

Arcane
"The decline of RPGs has taught devs what not to do when designing RPGs, therefore it has contributed to the incline."

Touche.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
On point by point:
1. This first point is just wrong. RPG's were never traditional "memory hogs." It is only a recent development that RPG's become greater graphics programs. IE games being too graphic intensive or memory intensive? It loads zone by zone, this would be ideal for consoles. The system requirements for Baldur's Gate are 166 MHz CPU and 16MB of RAM and a 2MB video card. The requirements for KOTOR (which came out 5 years later) are more significant and have more graphically intensive zones.

2. This whole point is about the need for cleaner interfaces to enhance action rpgs. This is shit. He's comparing the interfaces of standard rpg's with action rpgs, and saying that all rpgs need sleeker action rpgs interfaces to be gooder. This is so poorly written, he could mean something else, but his depth of rpg knowledge seems limited to his *impression* of PC rpgs, and a working knowledge of console rpgs. He never specifically mentions playing a PC rpg other than "WOW" but he knows what people don't like about them.

3. Yeah, WOW created crafting and epic loot. Asshole.

Sabriana

Learned
There are fewer nuanced role-playing options, but it could be argued that the ones that are still there are more meaningful.

What? Which ones? And in which way are they more meaningful?

Perhaps that dude should play more cRPG's like FO1 & 2, ToEE, M&M. And perhaps he should read up on how the pen & paper RPG's work. You know, with TB, die rolls, etc. I'm not even talking about real C&C vs the illusion of them which seems to be a staple in 'modern' RPG hybrids. He seems to be a bit confused about things.

Ah, what can I say. When someone holds up Oblivion and WoW as shining examples of the new shit, and gets 'intimidated by BG 1', perhaps the pew-pews are best for them.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
On point by point:
1. This first point is just wrong. RPG's were never traditional "memory hogs." It is only a recent development that RPG's become greater graphics programs. IE games being too graphic intensive or memory intensive? It loads zone by zone, this would be ideal for consoles. The system requirements for Baldur's Gate are 166 MHz CPU and 16MB of RAM and a 2MB video card. The requirements for KOTOR (which came out 5 years later) are more significant and have more graphically intensive zones.

He's not talking about RAM (although consoles do have amazingly shitty RAM in every generation) but just flat out memory. Baldur's Gate takes up 5 fucking CD's. You can't put that shit on a console. Well, maybe if you're fucking Square. But that's with an install. God only knows how many discs it would take to run the entire game on the fly, without having anything installed. 7 discs? 10? Admittedly half of this shit is just cinematics. But having to swap disks twice every time a cutscene happens wouldn't be a good option either.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
On point by point:

He's not talking about RAM (although consoles do have amazingly shitty RAM in every generation) but just flat out memory. Baldur's Gate takes up 5 fucking CD's. You can't put that shit on a console. Well, maybe if you're fucking Square. But that's with an install. God only knows how many discs it would take to run the entire game on the fly, without having anything installed. 7 discs? 10? Admittedly half of this shit is just cinematics. But having to swap disks twice every time a cutscene happens wouldn't be a good option either.
I don't want to kill a good rant, but he pointed out the comparison playing both games on an Xbox. The Xbox had a DVD, which holds more space than 5 CD's, and it also had a hard drive (albeit small.) Programmatically, it could be more difficult to hold BG in memory than KOTOR, but I have some doubts.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
But as you pointed out, Baldur's Gate is 5 years older. It's console equivalent would be a playstation. And while there were multi disc games (some as long as 4) people always bitched about the disc swapping, and they tended to be more expensive. And a playstation has no hard drive.

His point was that KOTOR was 'dumbed down' to take up less memory overall to allow for a release on the Xbox, which could not have handled a next generation equivalent of BG. Or at least that this is the perception people have, which he is arguing isn't such a big deal (he doesn't mind the tiny areas and smaller overall game.)

sser

Arcane
Developer
This guy is an idiot. The "decline" is in the gameplay. KOTOR has tiny areas because of the gameplay designs, not because of some graphical limitations. For fuckssake, he brings up Morrowind moments after making this statement. Morrowind was a large game that could be played on the Xbox, same as KOTOR. The Xbox 360 has Oblivion, Divinity II, Risen, etc. So why is Mass Effect 2 a linear corridor with chest-high boxes everywhere? Because it's designed that way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This guy is an idiot. The "decline" is in the gameplay. KOTOR has tiny areas because of the gameplay designs, not because of some graphical limitations. For fuckssake, he brings up Morrowind moments after making this statement. Morrowind was a large game that could be played on the Xbox, same as KOTOR. The Xbox 360 has Oblivion, Divinity II, Risen, etc. So why is Mass Effect 2 a linear corridor with chest-high boxes everywhere? Because it's designed that way.

Hmm, I don't know. I'm pretty sure the technology Bethesda uses to put huge open worlds on consoles come with some sort of tradeoff. Perhaps somebody with actual engine knowledge would know more.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's engine-related and how they handle streaming content and NPCs and junk. Like the water planet in KOTOR is the biggest hub which makes it very memory-intensive and they had to make massive cuts to make it work.

wormix

Augur
Don't agree at all. Not bothering to break down why.

Defending console RPGs because they are gateway RPGs for non-RPG players? :eek:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I hate this kind of argument. They saved the CRPG genre by making shitty games and going backwards in terms of mechanics. Yup, suck it down old timers

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Doesn't it all still boil down to massive changes, which means they are not the games they were before by default, and kickstarters meant to be in the pre-change style? How can incorporating some of the changes of the last 10 years, incline or decline, be a good thing for projects which focus on "hey we're making games like they were 10 years ago."

You can rant all you like about fear of change and incline vs. decline but at the end of the day games sold as "like before" should be like before.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
From number 3 about WoW,

But what it did was create a mentality among developers and/or publishers and/or players (don’t wanna blame anyone unfairly here) that all RPGs were about loot.

This is as far as I got. I guess EQ never happened? Hell, even DAoC had more interesting loot than WoW could ever hope to have. They had epic artifacts that gained levels and got "personalities" the stronger they got.

All in all this is just another newfag who started playing video games last week and is making assumptions based on his limited views, but without any knowledge on the actual history of video games.

Telengard

Arcane
Sidestepping the rest-anywhere/auto-regenerative health, removal of death, awesome button, replacement of tactical decision making with reactive action taking, and the replacement of tactical options with comic-book style powers, all of which he side-stepped, and just going with his points:

1. Illogical. Smaller levels don't enforce superior level design. People can copy/paste small levels just as easily as they can large levels. Nor does having small levels actually mean that someone will put good design ideas into that small space - especially if they don't have any good ideas to begin with. Nor did it prevent developers from having quests that take place across a wide area - it just means you load the quest giver area, then load the general area, then load the transition area, then load the quest completion area, and then do it all again in reverse on your way back.

2. Did controllers contribute to the dumbing down because of their inability to navigate menus? Is that why we have blood spurt animations instead of a text box stating how much damage was done? Do pretty pictures tell you more about what the state of what is happening is than text and numbers? Actually, they provide the same exact information, just in a different way. So, it's the same. It's the level of detail of that information and how it is used that determines whether something is dumb, not how that information is expressed. And yet, how does any of this have anything to do with the gamepad? Whether half the screen is devoted to non-interactive information or all info is told through animation, what does the controller have to do with it?

3. Ignorance is bliss. I was both a body sculptor and an architect in Star Wars Galaxies (2000). And that's by no means the first MMORPG to use crafting, just the one of the few that I played with the largest and most diverse suite of crafting tools. But that should even be beside the point. MMORPG doesn't have some god-given exclusive right to crafting, nor were they the first to use it. Maybe, though, they were first to let you dress your avatar up pretty and show yourself off to a large number of other people. And if that's what's really important...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom