Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline of EVE Online

Destroid

Arcane
mondblut I don't think market fragmentation really applies to PnP settings, at least not in the same sense it does to gaming communities. People loan books around, and many even play without having read the books for the setting, allowing the GM to help them along the way. At least that was my experience as a roleplayer, I never found more settings to be a problem.

mondblut

Arcane
mondblut I don't think market fragmentation really applies to PnP settings, at least not in the same sense it does to gaming communities. People loan books around, and many even play without having read the books for the setting, allowing the GM to help them along the way. At least that was my experience as a roleplayer, I never found more settings to be a problem.

No, it very much applies. "I only like Planescape, I won't touch any stupid Dragonlance book". Used to be common as sand 20 years ago. When your average book past core rules is only purchased by 10% of your market base, you are in a world of trouble.

But it sure were good times for undiscriminating collectors who couldn't care less about the publisher's bottom line.

Norfleet

Oh no, there is something called WOTC that is very likely to stop you from using their setting material for any other system. As for using it themselves, a multitude of settings resulting in "market fragmentation" is believed to be one of the things that toppled TSR in the first place, so WOTC is unlikely to step into it all over again.
I doubt WOTC has enough stormtroopers to kick down your door and stop you from trying to run another setting under the wrong ruleset.

mondblut

Arcane
I doubt WOTC has enough stormtroopers to kick down your door and stop you from trying to run another setting under the wrong ruleset.

I am a canonfag and "using setting material" means publishing books and officially developing the setting. If somebody runs Mystara on a mix of GURPS and Runequest in his basement in Alabama, and developed its metaplot a hundred years forward, how would that concern me anyway? At best, he would slap together a MS Word file of it, but I've been fed up with "home rules" online since mid-90s, when in order to find a .txt of a real book, you had to dig through several thousands of "yay guise, look at the new spell/majik item/npc I created!".

(then again, with the advent of pdf publishing and open gaming licenses, those thousands are now "books" - that is, one-page pdfs sold for 0.01$ on rpgnow - too, so now, finding a .pdf of a real book might be an issue, or even settling on what exactly constitutes a "real book" in the first place...)

KidBoogie

Learned
i spent so much time training my skills and scamming people to buy ships to find that the pvp is shit. a fraction of the community participates in pvp and a majority of that fraction is people who blob null sec, which is bianfinssshshhhiiiittt. There's some small scale pvp to be found, and it's really fun when you find it but finding it involves searching for an hour or two.

Unfortunate, if less people cared about their pixels the game would be a lot of fun

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Is he/she/it even real? I always thought this whole "die CIS scum" and people without gender were internet bullshit.
The more you know...

They don't only exist online but the internet enables it, like furries, because without the ability to live a large portion of their social lives online in a separate artificial world they'd eventually be crushed by the weight of convention within the real world.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've logged in EvE Online recently after a few years. Wanted to change the UI color but there was no option to do that. After a quick search on Google - you must pay to be able to.
I've uninstalled this shit from the drive in no time.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Look at all the Eve fanboy losers flocking against lil ol me for insulting their gem.
I guess taking out the option for color themes (behind paywall) it's a normal thing in their warped perspective :)

(of course the fools will tag the post as old because of the video )

eve stopped being an interesting game long before band of developers and somethingawful's assholes put its last nail in the coffin. i don't understand how people keep playing it now that personal effort and skill has absolutely zero impact on the game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Okay so the game sucks now because there are misraised autists in the game who curse alot?

I never played Eve, so i dont get the complaint. Those guys are everywhere, especially here on the codex.

Drakron

Arcane
Okay so the game sucks now because there are misraised autists in the game who curse alot?

No, that was just one of the issues.

EVE problem was it relied in "emergent gameplay" as in players doing so, now how is that a problem? well that is because you cannot herd cats ... at start EVE had a lot of competing groups and it kinda got stuck on that model, how what happened is people eventually realized they could just band and take over and because CCP allow that eventually you ended up with a more or less stale system, alliances make so there were some groups in control and nobody could challenge them, since EVE relied on the Corp Vs Corp it simply created a game were at one point the "game" ceased to exist, you just run maintenance ... CCP did try to act but they come too late, its a example that you should never relish control over aspects the game to the players because they will just take over can will only benefit thenselves.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
its a example that you should never relish control over aspects the game to the players because they will just take over can will only benefit thenselves.
Funny that people complain about this missing from Elite Dangerous.

I think you are wrong about EVE being bad about this. Sure, you can't challange the big corps, so if you are aiming to do that, then you are fucked. But there are so many other things to do in EVE, you can immensely enjoy the game without playing the big boys' game.

Drakron

Arcane
Funny that people complain about this missing from Elite Dangerous.

Well BDO have a semi-controlled economy were prices have minimum and maximum limits amd some complain about it because rampart inflation is awesome. People that complain about that is because they have a interest on it, not because "its fun" or "improves the game" but rather so they can sell their accounts/items for $$$ and other shitty behavior.

I think you are wrong about EVE being bad about this. Sure, you can't challange the big corps, so if you are aiming to do that, then you are fucked. But there are so many other things to do in EVE, you can immensely enjoy the game without playing the big boys' game.

That wasnt the issue, the issue is the powers decided to divide and share and rent their space, it became a scheme were the "big corps" had a system were they didnt fight anyone only only protected their joint interests, any new corp was wise up to not start shit up and just pay rent and the system ensured nobody was challenged, considering the endgame is PvP nothing happened because everyone was just only defending their interests and nobody could challenge them, it might happened at lower Corp but anything that was a threat to the established order was simply crushed as nobody could challenge then, outside CCP that had to make changes so their ability to drop fleets were hindered as well as other things in a attempt to shake the stale situation.

It was a system that relied in war as Corps realized peace was more beneficial to them and because CCP allow then so much power, they could and did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom