Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline of EVE Online

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
But the MMO is going to be set in the old world of darkness.

It is? :lol: I just *assumed* it would be using the nWoD setting. Still, I loved the oWoD setting. It was very restrictive (to me) as a DM. BUT has some interesting stuff that made it worth while. At what point of the oWoD does it start?

I still love both settings however. The potential with the very open nWoD is open to many possibilities. I'm still however reading the manuals on it.

EDIT: We should probably just start a WoD MMO thread if we want to discuss further instead of hi-jacking this thread. heh

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What Excidium said and thank the lord for that.

Also, if my glaring naivity when it comes to being trolled isn't evident after two years on the 'dex, I must be better at concealing it than I thought :lol:

As for your points, as I expected. And my prediction is you're gonna get hurt on those hopes, because I can't picture an MMO that would be heaven for a storyfag.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
Excidium said:
But the MMO is going to be set in the old world of darkness.

It is? :lol: I just *assumed* it would be using the nWoD setting. Still, I loved the oWoD setting. It was very restrictive (to me) as a DM. BUT has some interesting stuff that made it worth while.
Yeah, I get a feeling they want to reboot the oWOD. Or maybe I just want to dream about Mage the Ascension getting a re-revised edition written by Phil Brucato. :P

Jaesun said:
At what point of the oWoD does it start?
No idea, but I think it would make sense to start on the same year the game is released.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Hmm...I don't think so. The earliest rumors of this game were in like 2006. I think it's because oWOD enjoyed a rather large fanbase, even being out of print, it still competes with nWOD in popularity these days.

It also seems the new VTM book is selling rather well.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Grunker said:
As for your points, as I expected. And my prediction is you're gonna get hurt on those hopes, because I can't picture an MMO that would be heaven for a storyfag.

Probably. But maybe the team has played the old Asherons Call before and could learn a few things that that game did very well (lore wise).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Anyway, on the subject of WoD Online, if it's oWoD the Sabbat is so going outnumber all the other factions put together. The evil faction always gets the vast majority of the playerbase, just look at how it happened in WAR.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It has less to do with the faction philosophy and more how the characters are presented. Destruction just looked a million times cooler than Order. Even the quests were better.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
No clue...they didn't give any details. But I assume it'll follow the anniversary edition:

Q: When is this book set? Does it advance or change the metaplot from previous editions of VTM?

A: The best answer for this is, "Whenever you want." Vampire: The Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition assumes that the events of Gehenna have yet to occur, and advances no larger metaplot storylines. The story developments from previous editions remain open-ended elements in the setting for players to use or ignore as they choose. The overall themes and historical elements remain fundamentally the same, but in the modern nights, the players' stories are what are important.

Destroid

Arcane
Change what you want! It pains my to see roleplayers feeling bound by what is written in the book.

Drakron

Arcane
Destroid said:
Change what you want! It pains my to see roleplayers feeling bound by what is written in the book.

Consistence is important, last thing you want is everyone ignoring the world they are playing on and making bullshit and so called "roleplayers" are as bad for DMs as munchkins.

Setting does not have elves? You cannot be one and no, any bullshit that you come up is not going to be allowed.
You wanna be the long lost prince of Shitland? NOT-GOING-TO-HAPPEN.
Have something on your 167 pages backstory that makes the fucking adventure I just spend the last 2 weeks making? Lets hope your fellow players are the forgiving kind when I take things to its logical end (TPK).

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
SWG used to have a mainly player-based economy + random missions with mix and match elements too.

IIRC Shadowbane was supposed to have player-based factions setting up their own cities, raiding others etc but I think little of that got implemented in the end.

Vaarna_Aarne

Drakron said:
Setting does not have elves? You cannot be one and no, any bullshit that you come up is not going to be allowed.
You wanna be the long lost prince of Shitland? NOT-GOING-TO-HAPPEN.
Have something on your 167 pages backstory that makes the fucking adventure I just spend the last 2 weeks making? Lets hope your fellow players are the forgiving kind when I take things to its logical end (TPK).
You can't imagine how much hate I feel when reading the various Furry Sue backstories surprisingly many (often barely literate) people have in CO.

SkyrimSucks

Novice
White Wolf are not dead by any means. However, they have shifted to softcopies of their books only, with printed books only being produced via drivethrurpg's print on demand service. So yeah,a pretty major decline right there.

Anyway, I am not the biggest fan of WoD. One of the biggest things that bug me is the system they use. It's retarded, yet they refuse to change it to something better.

That said, I would not mind there being a singleplayer Dark Ages Vampire rpg. Also, an Exalted rpg. Exalted has the potential to be HUGE, because due to the nature of Exalted, you can have players going up against entire armies. This is something that can be done with today's technology too.

Vaarna_Aarne

I quite like the WoD system. The big upside to it is that it's extremely simple and lightweight, allowing easy ass-pulling of mechanics for the GM and it takes little time to explain things to new players.

The key problem for me is that the combat mechanics kinda suck without extrapolation like the fighting style merits in nWoD (or the old old old Combat sourcebook, though that just broke the game).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The DOT-system sucks if you ever have to get under the hood. However if you think of rules as something that is essentially in your way it is an excellent system that will allow for quick and easy combat and skill actions.

Vaarna_Aarne

Naturally, like I said. It's an easy system to learn, and that counts for quite a bit (and unlike most such system, it doesn't downright suck in its implementation), since there are a lot of players who'd rather get to playing without reading a shitload of rules first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom