Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline of EVE Online

made

Arcane
They have one of those promotions for ex-players again so I went ahead and took advantage of the 5 free days.

Turns out they've turned the most complex game ever into Oblivion with spaceships lololol.
Remember all those agent divisions that nobody could remember what's what? Yeah, they've been dumbed down to 4 (courier, combat, mining, research). Also, agent standings have been made more accessible so now basically any agent anywhere will give you missions regardless of quality, as I understand it, and pay out max rewards to boot. GG casuals. Expecting Xbox port of EVE any day now.

(Jokes aside though, this is a godsend. I still remember wasting countless hours grinding rep only to find out the next better agent is in a PK system. I'm actually looking forward to playing again with these changes.)

Btw. if anyone wants to lend me 300mil for a PLEX I'd be greatly obliged. xD

made

Arcane
Good game. Resubbed for 2 months to watch my skills slowly go up. :D

roll-a-die

Magister
Been subbed for about 3 months, currently doing incursions. Making utterly broken amounts of money.

Angthoron

Arcane
1. Test the waters with retarded concept
2. Apologize later on
3. ???
4. Profit!

made

Arcane
They seem to have lost quite a few players though. There was up to 50k online last I played, now it's 35k tops. They'd have to sell a lot of monocles to make up for that.

made

Arcane
Indeed, players have voted with their wallets. Massive layoffs at CCP, vampire MMO put on the back burner:

As we reexamine our outward relations, we are also taking time to reevaluate our internal goals. In doing so, we have come to the conclusion that we are attempting too many things for a company our size. Developing EVE expansions, DUST 514 and World of Darkness has stretched our resources too thin.

Rather than allowing this to persist, we have made the decision to sharpen our focus. Sadly, this means reducing our staff. We estimate that around twenty percent of global positions will be affected by this process.

[...]

First, EVE Online is in good health. Our subscriber numbers are higher today than they were a year ago. Unlike many other MMO's on the market, we have continued to grow year-on-year since launch in 2003. However, over the past two months, our subscribers have gone down from their peak this summer. We attribute this to our own mistakes and poor communications with our players. We are correcting that now.

Second, World of Darkness lives on. Its concepts are revolutionary. CCP continues to believe that it will alter the landscape of the MMO as significantly as EVE has done but we need more time to continue to develop them before dedicating the substantial resources required to bring this experience to market.

http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=sin ... 4769&tid=1

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Who is the publisher for the World of Darkness MMO?

I am honestly surprised the Publisher gave them the opportunity to develop it further instead of saying it's good enough and rush the fucking buggy thing out the door like all other MMO's...

Destroid

Arcane
Eve was originally published by Simon & Schuster but CCP later bought themselves out of whatever arrangement they had. Turned out mighty fine for themselves, considering they started developing eve with a team of 8 or so guys. I was astonished when they purchased White Wolf.

made

Arcane
Goes to show how profitable MMOs are even with just a few 100k subscribers.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jaesun said:
Destroid said:
I was astonished when they purchased White Wolf.

Wait what? CCP bought White Wolf??
I didn't know this either. I knew Cryptic bought Hero Games when they started making Champions, and now the Champions IP is "licensed" back to Hero Games.

EDIT: Inb4every non-WotC pnp RPG publisher is bought by MMO developers.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Basically that announcement signed the death of WoD. The books are dead, the MMO is now dead...and the only thing left for CCP to do is sell the name to some developer....like Obsidian to make some profits. :smug:

I never really believed the WOD MMO will come out, and this announcement just confirmed it's dead.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The WoD MMOG is/was one of the only MMOG I was actually interested in.

Unlike all the other shit WoW grindan clone #365273568243

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
RK47 said:
Basically that announcement signed the death of WoD. The books are dead, the MMO is now dead...and the only thing left for CCP to do is sell the name to some developer....like Obsidian to make some profits. :smug:

I never really believed the WOD MMO will come out, and this announcement just confirmed it's dead.
How are the books dead? They just released the VTM's 20th anniversary edition, with re-revised rules and all that. Also the nWOD is still getting new supplements.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just bought the nWoD Books a while ago. I like what I have read so far.

From a DM standpoint, you have a LOT a freedom to do your own Campaign.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, it's p. cool, I played a few VTR sessions. But what I find interesting about the nWOD is the general World of Darkness line, playing as a normal everyday person must be fun. And deadly, heh.

made

Arcane
RK47 said:
Naw it ain't dead. They just need secure their main cash cow first and foremost. Therefore, all you sparkly vampire lords and ladies should subscribe to EvE if you want to support the development of your dream MMO.

For this purpose I have selflessly decided to offer Free EvE Online Buddy Keys¹ to all my Codex friends. Just drop me a PM and I'll sort you out. :)

¹Guarantees 21 days trial access to EvE Online only. Fraternizing with issuer expressly undesired.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Excidium said:
RK47 said:

How are the books dead? They just released the VTM's 20th anniversary edition, with re-revised rules and all that. Also the nWOD is still getting new supplements.
I haven't heard of a single new nWOD supplement after Geist though.

And the 20th anniversary edition is good stuff, but it's loaded with bullshit on the business end. Only direct order release? No retail? Limited print? ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS?!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jaesun said:
The WoD MMOG is/was one of the only MMOG I was actually interested in.

Unlike all the other shit WoW grindan clone #365273568243

How exactly did you expect this to be different? I'm trying to imagine an MMO without grind but it's just... not... coming...

Setting alone does not a game make. In fact any setting and sense of story will be raped by an MMO's persistent nature, so the less you care about the setting the better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom