Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Decline 20: Dominions 5: Defenders of the Faith

What era we play in?

• MA

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • EA

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • LA

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

Dayyālu

Arcane
Again, I vote for a mage chainrout. Commanders do count as a single unit (less than 4 men). Dominions morale rules are opaque as they go, but if I remember right routing causes routing checks in nearby units (another thing Dominions inherited from tabletop).

The way to be sure is to run the turn on a Linux machine and see for ourselves. No one here runs Linux? Maybe we can ask around or something.

EDIT

KoolNoodles did you manage to mod the horrible generic fantasy soundtrack in something adequate?

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
It doesn't matter dayyalu, each unit checks only once per turn against fear despite how many conditions there are.

Another question: Are there rounds after the replay ends? Because as it visibly ends only a total of ~1400 HP is routing, which would have not been enough.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
EDIT

KoolNoodles did you manage to mod the horrible generic fantasy soundtrack in something adequate?

No, though I don't really mind the soundtrack. It's just like any game, gets old after a few plays. For this video I was looking for something a little somber. Was looking for Gregorian chant/funeral stuff. I chose whatever this is(I don't know the historical accuracy of it wrt the Templars).

Edit: Just scrolled through some comments, which I should know better. Please don't do that. Some people..... :negative:

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
It doesn't matter dayyalu, each unit checks only once per turn against fear despite how many conditions there are.

Another question: Are there rounds after the replay ends? Because as it visibly ends only a total of ~1400 HP is routing, which would have not been enough.

I would pretty much ignore the replay on this(you can learn your opponents opening tactics, to be sure). It is not showing what actually happened. There are rounds after one side routs, but that's just to count down poison/decay/etc.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
That was amazing. A little sloppy, but had to make a recording. :lol:

Ulm's Demilich wasn't killed by a lammashata. He was pwnd by Ulm's own mages.

SiMnK4k.jpg

This, and the number Master Smith's and Priest Smith's kills in the battle report makes me think Ulm sorta suicided themselves via friendly fire.

Even in this "fake" replay I can see a lot of chaos in Ulm's rear ranks, caused by lammashatas and wolves from Howl. AND a lot of friendly fire.

It's possible that during actual battle (which we will never see) this chaos provided enough time for undead hordes to come closer and cause even more chaos and friendly fire.

WHO BRINGS 2 HP PRETENDER INTO A MASSIVE BATTLE?! WHO?? Hoooo

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
WHO BRINGS 2 HP PRETENDER INTO A MASSIVE BATTLE?

People who are still experimenting, obviously. The same candid, innocent guys that for example could send a dozen poison slingers UW and then realize they'll just sit on their ass, picking their noses with their tails. People scripting ball lightning for fun and profit, but above all for fun. People that thought body ethereal is a self buff. People that thought bone fiends were flyers, 'coz they have wings. People who still need to hire business consultants in order to establish a communion or that still find new shiny toys to play with each time they open the forging interface, toys they failed to notice the last 6 time said interface was opened.

People who are NOT Grimwulf do such things. It happens. Believe it or not, the majority of people around you in this moment are NOT Grimwulf.

:negative: tl:dr I would have done the same

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
Not like a lich is afraid of dying but lol at the golems, big E mages are just bad news to construct.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Yeah, Ulm's evo is extremely strong and kills a lot of your own guys. I actually had two different scripts, one when expecting a battle and one when expecting PD with Earth Melds, otherwise I'd keep losing like 20 guys to 1 PD.

I'm not sure how to best work around this in big battles, and am open to suggestions :)

Well anyways bros, I have my head and time full of trip preparations and assorted bullshit, so I think that after this mysterious fiasco it's time to hand the game over to my temp sub, the loud and terrible Grimwulf!
He's been following the game since the start, so he's the clear choice here. I've instructed him to hold to existing deals (I only remember NAP 5 with Sceleria, really), and kinda uphold to the tacit semi-agreement to wait for the horrors to come to us unless someone rushes the thrones.

Mr. Admin Sir, could you switch the Ulm mail to his? I (or Grimmie) can provide the mail in a PM.

Dayyālu

Arcane
[

WHO BRINGS 2 HP PRETENDER INTO A MASSIVE BATTLE?! WHO?? Hoooo

I have melted my own armies a ton of times. Hell, last time I dropped 400 skellitons on a Machakan fortress because "lol sleep deprivation"

I do and I see the same fake battle.

We have now proof that nor tech nor logic nor common sense can help us here. The only thing to do now is to approach this as a philosophical problem. Why you lost this battle, sqeecoo ?

Mr. Admin Sir, could you switch the Ulm mail to his? I (or Grimmie) can provide the mail in a PM.

I am the admin. Send the mail and brofist the post.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, Ulm's evo is extremely strong and kills a lot of your own guys. I actually had two different scripts, one when expecting a battle and one when expecting PD with Earth Melds, otherwise I'd keep losing like 20 guys to 1 PD.

I'm not sure how to best work around this in big battles, and am open to suggestions :)

Well anyways bros, I have my head and time full of trip preparations and assorted bullshit, so I think that after this mysterious fiasco it's time to hand the game over to my temp sub, the loud and terrible Grimwulf!
He's been following the game since the start, so he's the clear choice here. I've instructed him to hold to existing deals (I only remember NAP 5 with Sceleria, really), and kinda uphold to the tacit semi-agreement to wait for the horrors to come to us unless someone rushes the thrones.

I actually didn't want to attack out of the fortress, but feared you'd attack with a large enough force to make my mages burn their gems, get reinforcements from the adjacent provinces then go for it in the next turn.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Grimwulf I thought friendly fire might be the case when I initially saw all the evocations splashing around the demi-lich, thanks for solving that!

mondblut

Arcane
I've instructed him to hold to existing deals (I only remember NAP 5 with Sceleria, really)

I thought we were bros too?

Anyway, does Karloman get to be the new Ulm pretender now that he fried his own god? Wish I could see his face, too bad I don't believe in scouts, lol.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Right! I suspected there was someone else, but too busy to check. NAP 3, right? I don't think I ever signed one with Mictlan, hmmm...

A honest mistake from Karloman, I'm sure. The pretender will be back shortly!

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I assume I have an automatic defensive pact with everyone because if I start going down, Sceleria grabs my level two throne on our border immediately. :lol:

Wishful thinking. :negative:

Dayyālu

Arcane
I have no interest in grabbing Thrones, or even winning the game.

If I wanted to win I have both the resources and the placement to take the last 3-points Throne and claim it immediately, while at the same time mantaining other Thrones under my control. It was my original plan to sell the Misfortune Throne to Man to give him something to do in the Apocalypse, and it's still my plan to give to Ys the last 3-points Throne to make the last turns of the game proper and interesting.

I I wanted to take your Throne I could have done it: this game is now merely a relaxing larp for me. I had a good battle with Machaka, and I hope to get some good conflict with Starspawns when it's time: my expansion in other areas is mostly to not leave to Ulm a gadzillion provinces considering how he ruined a magnificent little war between Man and Shinu for unclear reasons (probably expansion mania).

Not everyone is an asshat bent on random conquering sprees just because, you know. Also, Sceleria is quickly approaching the "oh god now I'm shit" section of the game: worry about Ulm instead.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Wait, I am confused. Which nation does Grimwulf play?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom