Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Dayyalu's taking a three-point throne at 27 next turn. How are the other unclaimed thrones doing?

I theoretically got ten points, but I have nothing as Spivaz is getting my two-point Throne next round. I need extra firepower to kill the murdersacreds and the Awe Throne was a safe bet.

If you don't trust me, please someone post Spivaz sieging my two-points Throne. I can't take screenshots.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Grimwulf-player (who is it) has got a bit of a THIS IS SPARTAAA thing going - raped my chaff horde and killed my pretender :negative:

Then I got my biggest ever treasure event I've ever had and it only took 1 turn to get my pretender back.
:dance:

I could screenshot the most of the fights, but I'm very lazy and always forget

.... aaaaaaaaand if its my fights I dont want to divulge any information

raw

Zzz

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Grimwulf-player (who is it) has got a bit of a THIS IS SPARTAAA thing going - raped my chaff horde and killed my pretender :negative:

Then I got my biggest ever treasure event I've ever had and it only took 1 turn to get my pretender back.

raw
So I managed to survive to the end after all! I still have no idea what Grimwulf was doing, he only had construction researched when I took over, so I thought I'd keep going and put out some thugs, eventually. You started besieging before that could happen. I actually thought I'd die the second time, but I was saved by all your long dead clogging up the entry to the fort :D

Dayyālu

Arcane
Settra%27s_return.png

As the Prophet entered in the Chamber of the Throne, all was in its proper place.

The reawakened armies, their long-dead kings reborn to lead their men in death. The phalanxes of the Guardians, their magic axes sharp as ever, and their unholy form filled with strength. The Mages and Priests, their groveling and unliving chanting accompanied by the sounds of living musicians. The skill of flesh and blood in musical matters was impossible to match, one of the Priests thought for a moment.

PjeZtkv.jpg
The time has come. What has been broken, shall be mended, and what fell from grace, will be whole again.

The God itself had already claimed the other Throne of great power, in the wastelands of the North. No one had dared to disturb the holy ceremony. The allied armies of Spivaz were helping in securing the other places of power. Great would have been the power of the Pretender of Spivaz, Comradus Maximum, Diabolicus, in the future age. Not the darkness of prisons for him, but new flesh, blood and power.

He could almost feel it. Rivers and seas living again. His unliving form, restored to eternal life.

All that was needed was a step, and a small ritual. Did he remember what to do?

He did. A single step, and another age began.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'll make a postmortem this time, for sure.

Honestly, it was kinda ..... disappointing. Everything went perfectly as planned.

Thus, kinda boring. And I had not the time to larp enough. Well, my second victory ever!

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron

raw
So I managed to survive to the end after all! I still have no idea what Grimwulf was doing, he only had construction researched when I took over, so I thought I'd keep going and put out some thugs, eventually. You started besieging before that could happen. I actually thought I'd die the second time, but I was saved by all your long dead clogging up the entry to the fort :D

The first attack was like "eh I'll see if I can kill him with a right-jab" while I'm doing other stuff
Second attack was like, okay he completely wasted everyone in my 1st attack so I'm going to body slam you with almost everything
third attack was hmmm this isnt working, i need to sit on your castle just for the income+slowly dom kill you

Dayyālu

Arcane

Dammit Karl Sanders is still legit good

So, let us talk about a won game. Basic point of Wasteland games is that you will be gold-starved and gem-starved, and thus optimizing against everything at once is kinda essential. Hiss'ith or whatever (I'll call them my Own Cheapo Tomb Kings) is a Undead mummy nation, with fire-resistant humans and Pale Ones. I did not recruit a single living troop, nor did I recruit any living commander bar assassins.

So, what was the plan.

RGAS1jF.jpg

Chaos3 Luck3 Magic 3 is kind of a given in Wasteland games, as you need events to keep up with fort building and lab construction. I had quite a lot of good events ( in turn 40-50 I got a Treasure almost every turn) giving me variety: I even got a N2F1 Sage that gave me N forging capabilities. Gold was needed because Mummy nations are expensive as heck: my shittiest mage, a E2, went for 140 Gold. I never recruited my highest - tier mage: E2 and random S2\D2\F2 were more than enough to give me variety, plus a blood hero. I got Air 1-2 from Bone Tribe shamans for limited forging.

k4WF2E6.jpg

Those guys where the centerpiece of my initial expansion AND my emergency button for SC-god tier foes. Or other sacreds. The Cursing battleaxe is a awesome weapon for the role, the N9W9 bless was great and gave them excellent survivability and being Mummies they have Wasteland survival so great mobility in the Wasteland map. Sure, my Priests were kinda meh (max H2) but that gave me the second point of my strategy: skellspamming with undead priests. I started skellspamming far later than the other two skellspammers (Spivaz and Tsiis''th) but I wanted some research done before. By the endgame my Priests threw out like 200+ skellies par turn.

As commanders, I employed undead Kings and Bane Lords. Bane Lords were also used as cheapo thugs with Brands, Shrouds and assorted items, but they never managed to repay their cost back. More on this later.

Research was kinda easy to plan. Get Alteration for Maws of the Earth. Construction for Thug equip. Earthquake for room cleaning. Evocation for mass damage with F casters. All was obtained and employed. For cheaper firepower, Blade Wind. Come Conj for stuff, but wasting gems on Scorpions was a bad move and I did it for the lulz. My ideal army would have been a small forces of Guardians on the flanks to avoid their heat aura, with nearby my battlemages blasting away and the Priests blessing. The non-fire resistant army would be on the other flank, employing Banes and skellies.

I got a ton of mileage from Assassins: those 999 crossbows and the Black Bows of Botulfs did a good job against some targets. That and suicide scouts with Medallions of Vengeance to clean up Throne provinces.

So, what happened. Nothing happened. Everything worked like a charm. I got every research when I needed it, all the armies when I needed it, failed just one battle and mauled my opponents.

I'm blessed with a spawn near two lv3 Thrones and no one nearby. I get first contact with Lapich (Zephyr) and I chat amiably for a while. No need to attack him, he's a good guy. I contact Xoco (Dreaad) and after a while I jump on him. He chainstales and barely fights back. I think the fucked up planning and took a shitty nation.

Fffffffuck.

Whatevs. I get Xoco and clean up the area, getting my research on and events. Spivaz goes on his murderspree and I and Isiloon decide to join forces and maul him badly: he never engages me directly and I siege his cap. I destroy his skellies with Earthquake but his sacreds are simply too good. At the same time I start planning to break the Lv3 Thrones: one is a Great Mother one (ton of Wooden constructs and regenerating Earth gnomes) and the other is the lovely Spring Hawks one (Air 8 Pret chassis there). The Spring Hawks throne needs a ton of work, with several waves of suicidal scouts with Medallions of Vengeance and assassins working on the indie commanders.

Thanks, Grimwulf. You taught me how to clean the fuckin' things. I hope this warms your heart in cold Siberia.

My first SERIOUS attempt at breaching the Throne was hilarious: the Air 8 Pret spammed Air Elementals and annihilated everyone with Shimmering Fields. I wasted more skellies and assassins to empty his gem reserves. After that, sent in 120 skellies, done.

Mother Throne was more a deal of firepower. Maws of the Earth and Falling Fires. Lost 125 skellies, killed everything else.

The only other "difficult" battles I had where against indie conjurers (Dust to Dust made a number against my sacreds, and some blood mages on the last LV3 thrones did the same with Leech).

I offered to Spivaz vassalage and he agreed, as his armies were the only ones that could fly fast enough to breach my Thrones and break my armies. He was a good man and kept his word even if he could have backstabbed me gloriously in the end.

All said and done, it was a weird game. I had more fun in planning to breach difficult foes with few means (Thrones, Spivaz) than planning wars: no one bothered to attack me at all, for reasons unknown.

GG, guys. Methinks is time for a different ruleset..... maybe that all-UW map.....

dArXX7D.jpg

I'll make a postmortem this time, for sure.

Honestly, it was kinda ..... disappointing. Everything went perfectly as planned.

Thus, kinda boring. And I had not the time to larp enough. Well, my second victory ever!
My only victory this far was similar: sneaky throne grab, just as planned and ultimately disappointing. :lol: Needs to be a real grueling slug-fest for it to really count.

Dayyālu

Arcane
My only victory this far was similar: sneaky throne grab, just as planned and ultimately disappointing. :lol: Needs to be a real grueling slug-fest for it to really count.

My First victory was a Throne grab also (only way for us less focused players to win before endgame) but dear KoolNoodles made me suffer for that one, giving me much fun.

But I agree. Hey, a win is a win. I get to be Pantokrator of a bunch of sands, stones, and sexy undead ladies.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Yea its a bit sad we were just on the cusp of the late game and there were still plenty of shit going on, things really heated up quite a bit actually towards the end.

but yea you know, basically it's really our fault for not monitoring how many thrones you controlled and ganging up on you, heaps of us didnt know who was who :lol:

Definitely enjoyed it though and all UW is great idea, that would be quite interesting

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Dreaad suggested making an all UW map having 1 Island where all the thrones are

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom