Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Decent strategy games that aren't commercially available.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Added Panzer General 1, Allied General, Star General and People's General.

Also I have omitted stuff that I know that has been released as freeware (Mech Commander series, Titans of Steel, Steel Panthers 1 as SPWAW and winSPWW2).

zool

Arcane
Oh my.
I think I've found Cleveland Mark Blakemorian legend.
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Shrapnel_Games/AA/AA_page.html
All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy is the sequel to the best selling, award winning 101: The Airborne Invasion of Normandy.
101: The Airborne Invasion of Normandy (which is probably another one to the list) was released 1998 and the sequel probably will be released any Friday now.
Pre-order is only $54,95.

edit.
RPS article about All American: The 82nd Airborne In Normandy.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/17/the-flare-path-vapour-and-vapidity/
“we’re still confident we’ll beat Duke Nukem Forever to a release date”

I remember waiting for that one as I was a big fan of 101. It was the only reason why I didn't unsusbscribe from Shrapnel's newsletter - until a few weeks ago where I remembered that 82 was never going to come out and I fally decided to unsubscribe.

Damn you Shrapnel, damn you.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Caesar 1 & 2.

Old Operational Art of War games.

Civil War Generals 2

Cave Wars

Fallen Haven

Centurion: Defender of Rome

Celtic Tales: Balor of Evil Eye

Beasts and Bumpkins

Warlords and Warlords 2 Deluxe

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
A lot of these games are simply games nobody cares about, and they don't even bother to type few sentences to make it freeware.

pippin

Magic & Mayhem is another one that I forgot from the list.

From what I gather, Magic and Mayhem was more of a mix between rts and rpg, not a "true" RTS. It's probably one of the few games where RTS and RPG were truly 50/50 and not "maybe rpg, but really and rts" or the opposite, which is the common case. Still needs to be commercially available, but I thought it's necessary to make that distinction.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battlezone 2 is not available either. It should appear on Gog at some time in the future, but we are still waiting for Dark Omens although Shadow of the Hornet Rat got there more than 1 year ago.

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
Takeda 1 was fairly good, the formations and command structure are certainly something that should be copied by more games (Only Scourge Of War has a similar command system iirc).
Vlad Tepes Dracula was another decent game albeit it a bit basic and pretty much the entire Talonsoft Battleground series were good.

grudgebringer

Netstorm. It's kind of abandonware, but anyway.
Emperor: Battle for Dune.
Also Z and Z2. Ports we have on Steam/GOG do not count, as they are broken from the start.

Agree with everyone who said that Dark Omen and Myth should be available right away, there's no excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Battlezone 2 is not available either. It should appear on Gog at some time in the future, but we are still waiting for Dark Omens although Shadow of the Hornet Rat got there more than 1 year ago.
Problem with Dark Omen is that it (and Space Hulks) was published by EA unlike other 90s Warhammer titles.

Also Z and Z2. Ports we have on Steam/GOG do not count, as they are broken from the start.
Got really fucking burned by Z -remake.
2nd one didn't even pass GOG curation, but apparently developers released it in Steam as a quick cash crab.

I have also added games that have been mentioned into OP.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Problem with Dark Omen that it (and Space Hulks) was published by EA unlike other 90s Warhammer titles.

Got really fucking burned by Z -remake.
2nd one didn't even pass GOG curation, but apparently developers released it in Steam as a quick cash crab.

I have also added games that have been mentioned into OP.

I played Z for the first time on Steam and was utterly confused with how shitty everything felt and played. Looked up a few LPs and the youtubers confirmed to me that this was just a plain old horribad/lazy port. What a shame as the original looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Added Lord of the Rings: Battle for the Middle-earth 2: Rise of the Witch King.

edit.
Also Warcraft 2.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Age of Mythology seemed interesting back in the day. My PC wasn't good enough to run it well at the time, though. From what I remember it is essentially an Age of Empires type game but with Greek Mythology.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Star Trek: Birth of the Federation

Dark Colony

Outpost 1 & 2

Imperium Galactica II: Alliances (first game just recently came on GoG so this might follow soon)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Age of Mythology seemed interesting back in the day. My PC wasn't good enough to run it well at the time, though. From what I remember it is essentially an Age of Empires type game but with Greek Mythology.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/266840

Imperium Galactica II: Alliances (first game just recently came on GoG so this might follow soon)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digitalreality.ig2&hl=fi
:troll:
Added games you mentioned markec and even more Star Trek games.

edit.
Added Homeworld: Cataclysm

Last edited:

rvm1975

Educated
Solium Infernum

The Prince of Darkness has vanished and the Infernal Throne sits empty. A conclave of the Powers and Potentates of Hell will be summoned to Pandemonium to select the next ruler of The Infernal Pit. Do you have what it takes to claim the throne and rule Hell?

Solium Infernum is a turn based strategy game set in the profoundest depths of Hell.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/gameboys-from-hell/

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Close Combat series....the originals. Particularly Close Combat 2 which had the best 'against the clock' campaign. With mods it played like a demon. We only have some weird remake/mods of the later games now which play differently as they use a strategic map layer from the later games.

Also where the fuck is Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom? That was the best Impressions city builder but nowhere to be found.

Was about to whine about no Campaign series games but I see Matrix has the collection for 9.99 which for them is practically free. :M

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Solium Infernum

The Prince of Darkness has vanished and the Infernal Throne sits empty. A conclave of the Powers and Potentates of Hell will be summoned to Pandemonium to select the next ruler of The Infernal Pit. Do you have what it takes to claim the throne and rule Hell?

Solium Infernum is a turn based strategy game set in the profoundest depths of Hell.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/gameboys-from-hell/

http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/SI/Solium_Infernum.html

It's worse than with newspapers and headlines.
I know that some don't even bother to read through OP before posting, but reading just half of the thread title is the easy mode:M.

Imagine what would happen if people started posting in the Grimoire thread before going through those 900 pages.
They should, actually. I want to see it crossing the 1k threshold before Easter.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Close Combat series....the originals. Particularly Close Combat 2 which had the best 'against the clock' campaign. With mods it played like a demon. We only have some weird remake/mods of the later games now which play differently as they use a strategic map layer from the later games.
I've meant to ask about how newer Close Combats compare to the older ones, but decided not to because I'm burned out with that series.
Which is kind of ironic since I consider Close Combat 2 one of my all time favorite games, but I think I have played those titles enough.

Also where the fuck is Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom? That was the best Impressions city builder but nowhere to be found.
Added.

Beowulf

Arcane
I've meant to ask about how newer Close Combats compare to the older ones, but decided not to because I'm burned out with that series.
Which is kind of ironic since I consider Close Combat 2 one of my all time favorite games, but I think I have played those titles enough.

CC2 was my favourite Close Combat as well. And the only decent "remake" is actually a remake of that game, called: Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem.
I replayed it a year or two ago and had good fun. But you have to apply the usual (Matrix pricing policy, stupid AI, pathfinding issues for vehicles (but not that big)).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Added Star Trek: Away Team.

edit.
and Gunlok.
e2.
Wooden Ships & Iron Men added

e3.
Flight Commander 2

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Added Star Trek: Away Team.

I remember playing it and thinking it was a shit game. Then some time later Lionheart got released, I was all excited about it since it was a new Black Isle RPG with really interesting setting.

I remember running the game for the first time and seeing Reflexive Entertainment logo and I was all like

:rage:

Still have nightmares from their character models and combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom