Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decent games you gave up on due to particular aspect.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
1. Pillars of endurance 1 due to endurance mechanic getting way too tedious.

2. Witchbru 3 due to brain-dead and highly repetitive combat. I just watch you-tube of all the cut scenes instead.

3. Spellforce 3 due to countless bugs on release that made play-through feel frustrating. Waiting for daily fixes got old.

4. Tales of berseria braindead filler combat.

5. The two shadow of morder games - braindead combat.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Baldur's gate, tried 4 times across games, couldn't get over it being just so lame. I'm sure it's a decent game; it's also clunky as fuck, which would be fine if just it wasn't so lame.

deama

Prophet
spellforce 3 -- didn't like the way heroes were implemented.

witcher 3 -- didn't like combat and story.

gemcraft -- just started to stutter wayy too much after playing it for 15-20 hours.

pillars of eternity 1 -- writing was really just annoying and too long for what it was, I also didn't like the "balance" it had.

Zombasite -- the skills are just boring, even the ones that sound/look interesting!

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
Many, many games with time/days limit or big time missable stuff.

Still loved majora.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Silent Hill 2 ... I ... I can't walk in that game ... fuck tank controls.
I'm playing Until Dawn right now. While I love the fixed camera angles (which you never really see in expensive console games anymore), I think the movement would have been better with if you turned like in the old Resident Evil games. It allows you to move backwards and makes more sense when you're moving into a new camera. When you can move in any direction by holding the stick in that direction, you can get turned around when entering a new camera. You also have to adjust more as the camera moves. Fixed camera angles can also really help with adding tension/suspense.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Baldur's gate, tried 4 times across games, couldn't get over it being just so lame. I'm sure it's a decent game; it's also clunky as fuck, which would be fine if just it wasn't so lame.

This.

Also, Witcher 1. That DDR combat is stupid.
And this. DDR combat is exactly right. Shame, game wasn't horrible but 10 hours was about all I could stomache.

praetor

Arcane
Witcher 3: it's too goddamned long. i wouldn't even mind the boring combat if it didn't drag for soooooooooo daaaaaaamn loooooooooong

Falksi

Arcane
POE 1 - just too many annoying bugs, especially with the disapearance of items, and load times way too long & too frequent.

Underail - really liked it, but the story was just too thin to keep me playing.

Serpent in the Staglands - fell head over heels with the atmospherer & vibe of this game, but just too much repetitive, relitively dull combat killed is for me. Had some massive potential this, really hope they do a sequel, and add a bit more meat to the bone in terms of interactivity, & spice the combat up a bit.

Abhay

Augur
GTA IV - Shit story, one of the most boring and annoying protagonist called Niko Bellic, including the rest of the forgettable characters. The city aspect is cool and I enjoyed the gunplay, though the driving wasn't for my taste and the physics were also quite okay. There's nothing else interesting about this "decent" yet awfully boring game and it's overrated trash story.

Same goes for Mafia 2

Falksi

Arcane
Witcher 3: it's too goddamned long. i wouldn't even mind the boring combat if it didn't drag for soooooooooo daaaaaaamn loooooooooong

It's not really that it's long, it's that it's boring & shit & so it seems like it's long. It feels tiresome because a massive portion of the game is spent doing quests which follow a formulaic, repetitive pattern, and are overall just fucking dull.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Too bad, there are a lot of cool story stuffs later in the game, a lot of cool worldbuilding tied into exploration overall. But yeah, if you're looking for a strong narative style, look elsewhere.

Falksi

Arcane

Too bad, there are a lot of cool story stuffs later in the game, a lot of cool worldbuilding tied into exploration overall. But yeah, if you're looking for a strong narative style, look elsewhere.

I was really enjoying it, and can see there's a great game in there. I can't remember what it was exactly, but some quest or mission about half way in just felt very by-the-numbers, and left me feeling as if the story was really inconciquential.

I will return to it and give it another go at some point though. I kinda got bogged down with crafting early game etc., so maybe a second playthrough will flow a bit easier now I've already got all the fundamentals down.

Got 34 hours out of it originally, so definitely enjoyed it to a large degree.

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

Temple of Elemental Evil. The combat is very top-notch, but the quests and writing were just so utterly boring, and I guess the voice acting didn't help. That being said, it is possible I might have carried on if it wasn't for my saves constantly getting corrupted despite installing the Circle of Eight fan patch

Egosphere

Arcane
Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins. In the former, the story got really bad very early on and Bioware took it too seriously. In the latter, it got pretty repetitive and boring by the half way point, and neither the lore nor the characters could carry it through for me. But both games aren't that bad.

Silent Hill 2 ... I ... I can't walk in that game ... fuck tank controls.

You could switch off tank controls for silent hill 2 ( on the playstation, at least, which was better than the bugged pc version )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom