Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Debate which RPG setting has the richest/most interesting/highest quality lore.

Which RPG setting has the richest/most interesting/highest quality lore?

• Total voters

Bahamut

Arcane
From all i see here (and know) id chose between The Kirkbride Scrolls (without Todd Howards badly written fanfiction that came after) and Dark Souls

V_K

Arcane
Darklands, obviously.
Though if we strike out anything with roots in the non-digital domain (be it PnP systems, actual history/myth or fiction), we'll be left with pretty much only TES. Which is sad, really, because it's not that good.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Betrayal at Krondor, of course.

But it's unavailable so I vote for Shadowrun.
It's freaky, eclectic and non-consistent... but still it's the best in the list.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I'm going to vote for the setting I found the most compelling in both content and execution:

The Stygian Abyss

Lhynn

Arcane
Look at all the faggots not voting for Alpha Protocol
I almost voted it, it has a very interesting setting, it is definitely engaging, its just not very rich, not compared to the other options, but mostly because it didnt needed to be. Also, too much information about the world would have made it lose some of its charm.

Gregz

Arcane
As played out and old as it is, nothing on the list comes close to Forgotten Realms as far as written depth.

I voted Wasteland however, because it's the progenitor of the best series of post-apoc RPGs, and those are my favorites.

granit

Scholar
Lore needs to be extremely good (by game standards) for me to bother reading all that much of it. On that level most every game listed is a fail, really.

Games in which I have felt compelled enough to read some of the lore, or actually find out about the world? Fallout, Arcanum and PST. I'll include Thief as a non-RPG.

I know there's a lot of lore for TES and people keep telling me it's good. But what I've read of it in my short playtime of Morrowind (only TES game I've played) was not able to hold my interest.

http://www.imperial-library.info/books/morrowind/by-category#Religion, Myths, Legends & Metaphysics

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
the greatest lore ever
Warhammer40000wallpaper.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
FR and VTM are in a league of their own obviously. It's impossible to seriously compete with something that has hundreds of sourcebooks and novels published over quarter of a century.

Among games with no one but themselves to rely upon, TES is definitely the most detailed, followed by Ultima.

Mebber

Educated
I've voted for VTM, because PST wasn't an option and FR and TES lore is kinda boring in my eyes.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't know about the 'best evar lore' but Dark Sun is the more interesting to me. TES seems to have a lot but most of it is inane shit.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
richest/most interesting/highest quality lore

The Codex, obviously.

Discussions: 83,722
Members: 12,871

Avellion

Erudite
The Elder Scrolls has the best lore with Arcanum being second. However, I havent played Dark Souls 2 yet, so this is subject to change.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
King of the Dragon Pass/Glorantha feels like cheating - its roots, like Tékumel's, predate not just computer gaming as such, but even tabletop role-playing games. The Forgotten Realms also belongs in the same category, since it started out as a background for Ed Greenwood's short stories beofre it became an article series in Dragon Magazine, and later a game setting. Also,
Only a fucking retard would vote for Forgotten Realms!
Why? Just why?
Because quantity impresses people with illusions of depth, and FR offers everything from standard adventure fantasy to Dirty Ed's magical transgender adventures.*

So, sticking to computer games, some which have an interesting background are the Ultima series (high fantasy done mostly well), Star Control 2 (a surprising amount of depth and individual colour for a strategy/RPG hybrid), Outcast (a credible attempt at creating an alien civilisation that feels real), Thief (understated but consistent and fascinating) and the first Deus Ex (a synthesis of cyberpunk, modern conspiracy theories and urban folklore). Some of Morrowind, too, especially the mythology.
My concept of Alustriel as de facto ruler of Silverymoon has always been glossed over by TSR (and now WotC) for Code of Ethics/Code of Conduct reasons, because I see her as the Realms equivalent of ‘the Queen of Courtly Love,’ presiding over a Court that amuses itself (along with delighting in wit, new songs, new inventions or clever craftsmanship, and fashions) with dalliances, courtship, and lovemaking. Er, lots of lovemaking. :}

In the same way that real-world kings in some places and times enjoyed droit de signeur [French for: “As the King, I have the right to sleep with anyone” :}], Alustriel takes many lovers for short periods of time, and is one of those rare kind, understanding, warm people who has the knack of staying close, affectionate friends with former lovers, even in the presence of other ex-flames. In fact, it’s quite likely that any meeting of courtiers will contain a majority of folk who have visited the royal bed or baths at one time or another -- and most of them remain fiercely loyal to Alustriel and to her dream of Silverymoon. (In fact, some cynics, such as Torm of the Knights of Myth Drannor, believe she deliberately seduces political foes to transform them into personal friends.) The fact demonstrably remains that to attack Alustriel in Silverymoon will be to evoke immediate defense of her person by dozens of champions who will lay down their lives to protect hers, even knowing she’s the “Anointed of the Goddess” and may not really need their protection.

For obvious moral reasons, published Realmslore glides over all this ‘free love’ stuff (gakk! orgies! Nonononono!) without saying much (though if you read the words of Silverymmon-related Realmslore I’ve written, nothing contradicts it). If you’re portraying Alustriel correctly in play, she loves to laugh (except when to do so would be cruel to others), gives hugs, caresses, and kisses freely, has no personal dignity (nude? Me? Yes, so? Yes, I heard him comment on the shape and taste of my breasts -- that’s why I was thanking him) but a LOT of personal grace and charm, and never forgets details about people (so if meeting a knight she bedded one night eight years ago, she’ll recall the name of his ailing mother and her ailment, the name of his new bride, and any ‘touchy triggers’ any of them might have). Most folk who meet her can’t remain jealous of her or angry at her for long.

The original Mystra seemed to encourage Alustriel to have children (why? Hoho! SO many mysteries, waved before you!), because she conceived every nine months and a day or two, giving Faerun a succession of healthy males in a series of easy births (and being little constricted or uncomfortable while pregnant, because rather than acquiring a ballooning belly, the High Lady always put on weight all over, and retained her poise, balance, and activities). Yes, she’s given birth to females, and no, I’m not going to say ANYTHING more about that for future schemes reasons. :} The new Mystra may have other ideas, because (as far as Elminster knows -- and he doesn’t hesitate to ask her, straight out) Alustriel isn’t pregnant right now, and shows no signs of becoming so.

For details of her current consort, see the quartet of Realmslore columns appearing on the WotC website right now.

“Aerasume” is a surname, and all of the tall, strapping lads who bear it share the same father, who remains Alustriel’s lover on nights when she needs comforting, but these days is often away from Silverymoon on explorative expeditions into the wilderlands. As I said: with very few exceptions, Alustriel remains on good terms with her former lovers, and manages somehow to keep them comfortable with each other (I guess it’s like being members of a club one very much enjoys being part of). So they all get along well together. At long-ago GenCons I often ran Realms play sessions in which PCs were sent with an urgent message to Alustriel [a stranger to them by all but reputation] through a secret portal that admitted them to the Palace but removed all metal -- weapons and, er, BELT BUCKLES -- and all enchanted materials [items and garments vanished, spells operating on the bodies of the PCs just melted away] in doing so. Stumbling over their own falling clothing but under imperative, overriding orders to get to Alustriel right away (and bearing a pass that would let them do so), the racing PCs were directed to a certain chamber, and burst into it to discover that it was taken up by a vast, shallow bath filled with warm rosewater and naked people making love. SOMEwhere in all of that sliding flesh was Alustriel. Their mission: find her.

I loved watching players’ faces, right at that moment.

Someone Else said:
Once upon a time, two young gamers named Liz and Gertie were exploring the magical kingdom of the D&D Experience just before the release of 4e. It was a fantastic land filled with exciting experiences and creepy men with unshaven necks and brilliant red sweatpants.When the sun reached its apex, a call went out to visitors of the land: The famous Ed Greenwood was to have an audience. All were invited to come speak with him and he would provide, free of charge, a copy of his newest book! Eager to talk with the mystical Mr. Greenwood, Liz and Gertie scampered to his court! As the two timid girls approached, Greenwood’s beard glimmered under the fluorescent flights. His eyes twinkled under his bushy bangs.”Hello, Ed!,” exclaimed Gertie.”It’s nice to see you,” Liz said.

“How are you ladies, today?” the wizard-esque man asked.

Shyly, each girl responded that they were quite well and appreciated the opportunity to meet him.

Gertie smiled and said, “Ed, there has been talk of turning your Forgotten Realms into a film! Tell me, sir, what character would you play?!”

Reaching up to toss his hair, Mr. Greenwood giggled, “All the pretty girls!!”

Flutters of awkward laughter erupted from the mouths of Liz and Gertie.

“… or, possibly, the fluffer!” Ed continued.

Tears of hilarity began to stream from Gertie eyes and ran down her face. Ed reached out towards Gertie, offering assistance. “Shall I lick the tears off of your cheeks!?”

Gertie and Liz turned bright shades of crimson and the next few moments of conversation flew by in a blur of confusion and moderately creeped-out-ed-ness.

Liz’s mind spun, she could no longer comprehend the words that Gertie and Mr. Greenwood were speaking… and, when she came to her senses, somehow (really, I may never know how), Ed was speaking of his beard.

He tugged briskly on his silver strands. “My wife,” he said, “uses this as a tool.” Gripping his facial hair tightly, he pulled his head downward. “See. She’ll pull my head down and say, ‘While you’re down there…”

Grinning suggestively Ed surveyed the girls. Before that moment they had nearly composed themselves, but the flood of laughter could no longer be controlled. Quickly, they asked the man to sign their books and scampered off into the crowd.

Gertie and Liz left the presence of Mr. Greenwood… changed forever.
And so on and so on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom