Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Deathwatch: Tyranid Invasion, yet another W40k game from the developers of Warhammer Quest

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...arhammer-40k-game-deathwatch-tyranid-invasion

Warhammer Quest dev reveals new Warhammer 40K game Deathwatch: Tyranid Invasion
For the Emperor!

Rodeo Games, developer of Warhammer Quest, is making a Warhammer 40K turn-based strategy game.

Deathwatch: Tyranid Invasion is being built using Unreal Engine 4 and is due out on iOS devices summer 2015 as a premium title.

You control a squad of Space Marines special operatives called Deathwatch and battle Tyranids.

Gameplay is similar to Rodeo's Warhammer Quest, but Deathwatch is full 3D, so you can spin, pan and rotate the camera.

It also uses a Codex book, which functions like a sticker book. As you collect new pieces of wargear, relics and weapons, you see them place in the book. There are 250 of these items.

You can have a maximum number of five units in your squad, Rodeo's Ben Murch told Eurogamer. The single-player offering includes 10 acts, each containing four missions. Each act portrays an important conflict in the battle for the Astolat Sector.

"We want to bring back that feeling of playing table top Games Workshop games where you can take your time, and plan turns in advance in order to succeed," Murch said.

"Equally, you can charge in all guns blazing. It's just that all your marines might not survive."

Each marine in your squad has active abilities and passive abilities, which are unlocked by saving up and spending experience points you gain from missions. However, if your marine dies on a mission, then he will lose any unspent XP, adding a risk/reward element to the gameplay.

Away from single-player, there is a multiplayer component. You can take your marines from the single-player campaign, with all of their wargear, and fight up to three friends online.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
We should have a special iOS forum next to retardo-land. So I don't have to witness this kind of crap.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, Warhammer Quest is good for what it is : they followed the board game rules rather closely. The problems were only that the rules themselves were hidden (I mean, chosing between +4 dmg or +20% crit chance is easier than chosing between "significantly improves damage", and "grants additional luck to the wielder").
The board game itself was rather simple (but nowhere near Talisman simple), and it was a coold dungeon romp. It is a bit pricey, and DLCey but I think it plays well overall.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Actually, Warhammer Quest is good for what it is : they followed the board game rules rather closely. The problems were only that the rules themselves were hidden (I mean, chosing between +4 dmg or +20% crit chance is easier than chosing between "significantly improves damage", and "grants additional luck to the wielder").
The board game itself was rather simple (but nowhere near Talisman simple), and it was a coold dungeon romp. It is a bit pricey, and DLCey but I think it plays well overall.

Agreed. If this new game is basically a sci-fi version of Warhammer Quest, I'll probably pick it up.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-14-warhammer-40k-deathwatch-out-this-week

Warhammer 40K: Deathwatch out this week

Turn-based strategy game Warhammer 40K: Deathwatch comes out Thursday, 16th July on the App Store.

Deathwatch, from Warhammer Quest maker Rodeo Games, was built with Unreal Engine 4. You control a squad of Space Marines special operatives called Deathwatch and battle Tyranids. Gameplay is similar to Warhammer Quest, but Deathwatch is full 3D, so you can spin, pan and rotate the camera.

You use action points to move your Space Marines and shoot the horrible Tyranids, collecting Wargear and new Deathwatch Marines as you complete missions. You earn experience points and spend them on upgrading stats and unlocking abilities.

The main campaign is sorted into nine acts, which makes for around 40 missions in total. Rodeo said it offers around 15 hours of gameplay.

There's also a Codex book, which functions like a sticker book. As you collect new pieces of Wargear, relics and weapons, you see them place in the book. There are 250 of these items.

Deathwatch will cost £3.99 / $4.99 at launch. You'll need an iPad 4, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5 or iPhone 5C to play. Screenshots are below.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Launch trailer

Gameplay trailer

Anyone gave it a try? How does it compare to Warhammer Quest from the same dev, which was, in my opinion, ok for a mobile title.

ColCol

Arcane
You can just tell were the microtransactions are going to be from the trailer.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
You can just tell were the microtransactions are going to be from the trailer.

The question is how obnoxious they are. in WHQ, I never bought gold, but of course got the heroes and the quest packs. Here, the only seem to be "cards" but you can apparently get, unlike WHQ, everything for free.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Will now release a couple of days earlier on October 16th. No word on how they'll handle the iOS IAPs. They removed them from the WHQ steam version after harsh criticism. I wonder if they'll try again.

Why does GW keep approving these crappy mobile games? Are there exact statistics on how much money these games even make? For some reason I have difficulty believing that much of their fanbase actually wants to play these games and that they wouldn't much prefer another Dawn Of War or Space Marine game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not the hardcore fanbase.
But the mobile masses will probably be pleased by something that looks just a bit more gritty, and that maybe only is 90% stupid.

Hell, I could see myself playing this on a very, very, very bored trip. And if already had my daily dosis of vocabulary-learning-in-the-S-Bahn.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
WHQ was an o.k. game on mobile and this game also got good user feedback (though that doesn't mean much, most F2P games get 5 star ratings as well). I'd like to see another DoW or Space Marine, but WHQ was still a fun, more casual, game. Like the old Hero Quest / Warhammer Quest board games are in comparison to the tabletop.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The PC version doesn't have them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom