Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore New Screenshots and Feature List

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Deathfire; G3 Studios; Guido Henkel

Guido Henkel has released some new screenshots for his upcoming (sometime in 2014) RPG Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore (http://deathfiregame.com/), and they look pretty. The party is 4 character but you should also be able to recruit up to 2 NPCs, which makes it six.

Click the above images for higher resolution. Source: Eurogamer. You can also find additional screenshots at Kotaku.

As Infinitron points out, the game is apparently going to be published by Vlambeer. According to Guido Henkel's twitter, Vlambeer isn't publishing the game; RockPaperShotgun got it wrong.

And then there's this feature list at DSO Gaming:

-Single player, first person role-playing game
-Party-based play (four player-, plus two non-player characters)
-Six races and eight classes to choose from
-Over 34 unique character traits, plus base attributes
-Party characters interact with each other
-Turn-based combat
-Indoor and outdoor environments
-Interactive game world
-Recipe-based crafting and enchanting
-Involving, adaptive storyline with many key players and twists
-Factions for intriguing political set-ups
-Tons of monsters to battle
-Intelligent dialogue system​

Thanks Morgoth and LESS T_T

Xeon

Augur
What does the Self Control skill do?

If there are other languages within in the game that will be kinda cool. I also like the disadvantages kinda gives the characters some personalities, I think I watched a video of Jagged Alliance (maybe) a long time ago where I saw those type of skills.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And there is a feature list at DSOGaming:

-Single player, first person role-playing game
-Party-based play (four player-, plus two non-player characters)
-Six races and eight classes to choose from
-Over 34 unique character traits, plus base attributes
-Party characters interact with each other
-Turn-based combat
-Indoor and outdoor environments
-Interactive game world
-Recipe-based crafting and enchanting
-Involving, adaptive storyline with many key players and twists
-Factions for intriguing political set-ups
-Tons of monsters to battle
-Intelligent dialogue system

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why can't news sites just copy-paste the press release that they got? Fucking RPS.

(Also, why didn't WE get a press release?)

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If it's Vlambeer handling the PR, they probably don't even know about independent RPG-dedicated sites like ours. I don't think they've released a single RPG before.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If it's Vlambeer handling the PR, they probably don't even know about independent RPG-dedicated sites like ours. I don't think they've released a single RPG before.

Vlambeer is a 2-man operation. I wouldn't be surprised if "publishing" means they're just allowing Deathfire to skip Steam Greenlight.

Crooked Bee

Patron
He did get coverage on all these major gaming websites though, so that probably means he's hired a dedicated PR company, then. A company which only cares about the bigger websites. :P

bonescraper

Sounds fucking great so far. But pretty isn't the word i'd use to describe those screenshots.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Awesome. Can't wait to see more :)
Btw. the "funky" style of the portrait picture frames does not really fit to the environment.

Cool name

Arcane
The portraits' style does kind of clash a little bit with the rest of the visuals. It looks like they come from two different games. :?

Other than that it does sound interesting.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Nice feature list, but I hope they manage to improve the graphics... the models and textures look ok, I think it's only the very crude lighting that it's holding it back.

Looks quite fucking pretty to me, in an almost retro inspired way. I think I like the jaggies and textures without a gazillion shaders that make games look mushy.

What does the Self Control skill do?

I imagine that characters will have traits that define tendencies and impulses and Self-Control regulates that. Make a reckless charged attack when they should act smart, say something stupid when they should shut up, some characters consume more provisions when they should less etc. That's my hope.

Something I don't get is how this faggot is pulling this game when he tried, rather uncommittedly, his hand with Kickstarter for Thorvalla and then said screw this crap when people didn't buy into his apathetic presentation with shitty 5th grade concept drawings which was to be a RoA-inspired isometric game.

(Also, why didn't WE get a press release?)
because that would be smart and actually catering to the niche audience -- and people are dumb. especially PR people.

Most PR professionals cream themselves over clear market segments and niche marketing - costs less (often nothing if you're publicising through 'communities', like the codex) with a much higher audience/$ ratio.

The problem is that knowing PR doesn't mean you know shit about the product you're hired to sell. Which is why successful PR firms tend to forge long-term relationships in particular industries - they get to know a few industries well enough for them to be their bread and butter, but outside of that, well, do you think an indie game is paying them enough to bother learning the industry? They're just treating it as a generic product, one of a fuckload coming across someone's desk. If you're the guy stuck dealing with a deskful of minor clients, each in a different industry, you're not going to have time to look heavily into each industry - you'll look up the major news sources and tell your boss you've done your job.

Not saying it's a bad decision to spend money on a PR firm, but you've got to be realisitic about what one who doesn't have a long-term stake in your particular section of the gaming industry can achieve.

Luzur

Good Sir
huh, seems devs have gotten their eyes on FPV RPG's since Grimrock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom