Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire Kickstarter to begin on November 6th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Deathfire; G3 Studios; Guido Henkel

Guido Henkel is about to give Kickstarter a second try, with a crowdfunded campaign for his dungeon crawler, Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore. GameBanshee has the press release:

Because a strong campaign start is absolutely vital, we have put in place special rewards for early backers that might interest your readers. Everyone who backs the project during the first day of the campaign will receive a FIRST DAY BACKER badge on our forums and will also receive an exclusive in-game item that will not appear anywhere else in the game. This particular bonus will no longer be applied once the first 24 hours of the campaign have passed.

We have another special perk in place for the first 48 hours! If we manage to gather at least 1,500 backers within those crucial first 48 hours, we will create an exclusive cover for the Kickstarter Editions of the game! This cover, which will also serve as the game’s initial loading screen, will not be available to players who will purchase the game online or in stores later.

For that purpose, a countdown timer on our website will also help to build momentum and allow people to see how close we are to the exact start of the campaign so they won’t miss these Early-Bird Specials.
Let's hope it turns out better than Thorvalla did.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm disappointed. I thought Henkel was going in the direction of the independent developer, self-publisher. Or maybe had some secret distribution channels lined up behind the scenes.

But depending on crowd-funding is just giving him an excuse not to finish the game when the campaign fails. I was interested in what I have read about Deathfire so far, more so than Thorvalla. But I don't think the kickstarter market for this type of dungeon crawler is large enough to meet his financial objectives. Unless his numbers are pretty realistic.

It would be a pleasant surprise to see this succeed. I don't think it will, given his track record and the target audience for kickstarter compared to the old school players of this genre.

Last edited:

kaizoku

Arcane
how much will he be asking?
I haven't followed this game, but maybe he can capitalize on LoG success.

as for the first day incentive that is a very good idea, but I'm not sure if those rewards are enough.
he would have more luck with limited lower price tiers.

I'm still butthurt that the isometric isn't being made and instead this pretty simulator is.

will make my call after reading the ks page

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hopefully this funding is just supplementary, and he's not going to ask for more than a 100K, otherwise the second round of butthurt will be huge.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
A lot will depend on the amount he is asking, plus he does have a lot more to show this time than Thorvala. I also think he still has a number of supporters who would get behind if they feel he's making an old skool game. Thorvala turned off a number of folks because he didn't have much to show + he was talking about cards based combat, etc.

exclusive in-game item that will not appear anywhere else in the game

Fuck you, Guido.

We have another special perk in place for the first 48 hours! If we manage to gather at least 1,500 backers within those crucial first 48 hours, we will create an exclusive cover for the Kickstarter Editions of the game! This cover, which will also serve as the game’s initial loading screen, will not be available to players who will purchase the game online or in stores later

Double-fuck you, Guido.

This is a lost case. Looking forward to the tears.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The entire "first-day-only reward" is beyond fucking stupid

There are a lot of people who are waiting towards the end of the KS to make their pledge. This is just the sort of thing that would put them off.

Hope he'll come around and change that.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
San Judas Tadeo, please give Guido the strength and wisdom to manage this Kickstarter project wisely and make it a great success. I'm gonna light a candle in your honor.

san-judas-tadeO.jpg

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

There are a lot of people who are waiting towards the end of the KS to make their pledge. This is just the sort of thing that would put them off.

Hope he'll come around and change that.
You know you don't get charged until the end regardless of when you pledge?

Initial momentum is very important.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know it is.. but for a relatively less-known person like Guido, it will seem more like a pompous act. I know it'd put me off from backing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guido has a blog post about this now: http://deathfiregame.com/2013/10/deathfire-gets-kickstarted/

Since we first announced our project “Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore,” we have been very tight-lipped about how we are planning to finance the project as a whole. While we have been working on the prototype for the past eight months, we paid all expenses out of our own pockets, but the time has come for us to seek real financial investment in the project, and we have decided to use Kickstarter for that purpose.

We are currently putting the final touches to our Kickstarter campaign to make sure all the relevant information is there, as well as tier rewards for the backers that are both attractive as well as within financial reach. We are confident that we can make a good case for the project and we hope you will all help us get ”Deathfire” the kind of exposure and visibility it will need to succeed, so please mark your calendars.

Kickstarter400.png

The Kickstarter campaign for “Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore” will go live on Wednesday November 6th!

We have reached out to the press at this time, hoping that they will help us gather the initial momentum that will be necessary to get the campaign off to a strong start, but you can help too. Tweet about the upcoming campaign, let your friends know, share the info on message boards—in short, please help us spread the word.

Get your First Day Backer Badge and an exclusive in-game item!

Because a strong campaign start is absolutely vital, we have put in place special rewards for early backers that might interest your readers. Everyone who backs the project during the first day of the campaign will receive a FIRST DAY BACKER Badge on our forums and will also receive anexclusive in-game item that will not appear anywhere else in the game. This particular bonus will no longer be applied once the first 24 hours of the campaign have passed.

We have another special reward in place for the first 48 hours! If we manage to gather at least 1,500 backers within those crucial first 48 hours, we will create anexclusive cover for the Kickstarter Edition of the game!This cover, which will also serve as the game’s initial loading screen, will not be available to players who will purchase the game online or in stores later.

So, once again, make sure to mark your calendars! November 6 is the day you can help bring the tale of the Nethermancer and his undead army to life!

Koschey

Arcane
Eh, first day exclusive items? Wasn't the protest against backer-exclusive ingame stuff (at least if it affects balance) during the larger kickstarters sufficient deterrent? Sure, might build initial momentum, but it might just as well hamper the final push and hurt in the long run. Though it does set him up for a generous 'Fuck the rules, goodies for all backers!' boost I guess.

almondblight

Arcane

All of the in-game Kickstarter reward stuff (including the ones the Codex bought) is stupid in terms of the final game, but probably useful as incentives for the campaign. The nature of the beast.

Anyway, good to see that he seems to be doing much better at prepping this Kickstarter. Hope it does well, the game is looking good.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Here's hoping it fails, fucking tired of those hacks getting millions for lame, derivative games that have nothing going for them except famous name dropping.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I wonder if this first day exclusive bullshit will actually work. I'm curious if there are more people against it or more retarded popamolers on Kickstarter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How can you even determine if it "works"? I doubt stuff like this can ever make or break a Kickstarter. Either you're famous enough or you're not.

What this is really going to be is a measurement of just how much attention Deathfire has attracted over the past few months.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Here's hoping it fails, fucking tired of those hacks getting millions for lame, derivative games that have nothing going for them except famous name dropping.

The hacks will still get millions regardless of Deathfire's success. I hope it fails because the guy is clueless.

Wizfall

Cipher
Always nice to see you raging about every blobbers being shit, not sure if it's good for your health though.
I dislike early skill/item reward so i'm going to wait day three to pledge and i mean it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How can you even determine if it "works"? I doubt stuff like this can ever make or break a Kickstarter. Either you're famous enough or you're not.

What this is really going to be is a measurement of just how much attention Deathfire has attracted over the past few months.

Guess you don't really know. More of a rhetoric question, though, as I'm already sure there are plenty of popamolers, or closet-popamolers on Kickstarter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom