Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alekhine's Gun (formerly Death to Spies 3)

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/haggardgames/death-to-spies-3
Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=262334958

https://af.gog.com/game/alekhines_gun?as=1649904300

1C announces Death To Spies 3 in development.

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/news/death-to-spies-3-in-development

Key announcement: The first game of the series to be featured on PC and Xbox 360 :rage:

Theres goes any chance of this series ever improving.
And I can't imagine the opportunity to play as a Soviet spy would appeal to the imagination-less kiddies of XBAWK nation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Angthoron said:
...There was Death to Spies 2 already? How did I miss that?

Came out last year. Pretty much the same as the first one, except with better mission design and (IMO) with much more unforgiving difficulty.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
commie said:
Though of course now going to the fuckbox it will most probably regress.

That right there is the genesis of my rage. I very much like the DtS series so far...but like you mention, I just don't have faith that, with the third game going multi-platform, any innovation or improvement to the franchise will be squelched.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Rumor: Death to Spies 3 Canceled

On the 1C Forum page for DtS 3 the only currently active thread is one entitled “Cancelled!?
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28251

It claims that 1C has canceled the project, leaving the developer Haggard Games without a publisher.

I don't now how much of this to believe, but the 1C product page for the game has indeed been removed.

Grim Monk

Arcane
An update:

Seems like they are trying to finish the game using Crowdfunding:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/death-to-spies-3

gogo_logo.jpg

Hello! Welcome to the IndieGoGo home of Death to Spies 3. The game is a third installment of a previous games known as Death to Spies and Death to Spies 2 : Moment of Truth. Overall its a third-person stealth action game in a period of ~1960's and Cuban missile crisis. You are playing as a group of three soviet intelligence agents. The game is about sneaking, thinking, planning and a bit of shooting/fighting/killing - just some regular spy work.
Game

In this game you play as a group of three soviet agents during the period of the Cuban missile crisis. It's a stealth based game, where you have to be quiet to successfully finish your mission. Each character of your group has each own abilities and gadgets that can help in your tasks. You got some form of a freedom to complete each mission - with one or all three members of your group. It's like the mix of some Hitman and Commandos series.
Screenshot%2004.jpg

Screenshot%2008.jpg

Here some early stage previews:
Why we need your help

In the end of 2011 our previous publisher droped the project and the team behind it. This had nothing to do with the game, but the strategy of our publisher and the market needs. As you may have noticed from the presentation video, the name of the game was Ghost of Moscow : Death to Spies. Now, as big bosses kicked us, we can return to the basis. Anyway, we have tried to communicate with various other publishers - but without any succeed. Small are afraid of large investments in a hardcore game like this and larger one didn't even want to talk with a small team like ours. Yes, our team is small, only 12 members was behind the production of a such large title for Xbox & PC. So 2012 year passed, the project is freezed. Now we want to try our luck in crowdfunding solution. First of all, it will allow us to finish the game and we will be independent from the publisher view and voice, so we can more carefully listen to the people and their needs from the game. And secondly, this will show to us the needs in games like this to the market and community.
gogo3.jpg

What We Need & What We Got

As for now we have playable version of 50% of the game, but much remains to be done. We have graphical content for all locations in the game, but still missing some details here & there. We need funds for creating animations, sound & voice recording, building gameplay for missing locations, cinematics, testing & cleaning/polishing. In terms of time we estimate to complete the game with full funding from 10 to 12 months. We need at least 5 people from our team to be on staff for this project. We also need few sub-contractors to complete the job on animations, sound and cinematics.
Budget & Goals

Here’s the breakdown of overall budget to complete the game:
  • $108,000 - Staff Salaries, this includes 5 people for 12 months
  • $20,000 - Cinematics contracting
  • $20,000 - Animation contracting
  • $10,000 - Sound and voice recording
  • $5,000 - Music contracting
  • $4,000 - Manufacturing and shipping physical rewards
  • $12,000 - IndieGoGo and taxes fees
Because of the amount of money & time need to complete the project, we decided to split the game on two milestones. If we manage to raise the first amount we will release the game with the first five locations. This will be the complete functional & playable game, just the part of it (6-8 hours of playable time). After that, we will try to raise second part to release the last five locations.
So, our first goal is $80,000 to keep development on go. If we manage to raise this amount we are planning to release the first part of the game after 6 months of receiving funds from IndieGoGo. We setup this campaign as 60 days Fixed Funding Type. It means that if we don’t meet our goal, all contributions will be refunded, since we can’t continue development of the game without the full amount.
The second goal is +$99,000. This will allow us to complete the full game as we planned in the begining.
After that, we are planning to continue supporting the game with DLC and trying to release it on Xbox360.
gogo2.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fixed funding, they keep all the money that's sent even if they don't make their goal. Oh wait never mind I mixed those up.

Meeting their goal only results in getting half the game (maybe).

Oh those Russian shovelware houses. +M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Doubt it gets funded. Shame, as even though the series is nothing spectacular at least it's closer to the older Hitman games than Shitman Derpalution.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also preview video-

Edit: Just saw it myself, what's with the infravision thing?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And apparently it needs to make it past Greenlight to get on Steam? I guess because they finished it independently.

Peter

Arcane
Anyone tried the demo? Part of me is glad to see the game alive, but tbh, that gameplay video looks pretty dodgy, with consoletard additions like button-mashing Cinematic Takedowns, a cover system, some sort of "Focus" mode and so on. That coupled with the development hell this game went through does not bode well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Maybe they do some parody of popamole mechanics? Who know...
And also suprised, when you need Kickstarter and he fail, this happen.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would assume they rallied to create this demo to try and get industry attention or enough greenlight votes to obtain more funding.

I'm eating breakfast now but I'll play it after and see what's what.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well... it's Death to Spies, for the most part.

Honestly it feels like the team wanted to put some "modern improvements" in but kind of sucked at it, intentionally or not, so they are there but kind of not that important or useful. There is a cover system but I saw no benefit what-so-ever to using it in this kind of game. There is an instinct assist mode thing but all it seems to do it show you where the guards are, which is kind of self-explanatory? This game is about walking around in outfits and finding out where you can go and shit, so none of this additional shit seemed very useful, and thus not annoying. However two things were annoying: mini-games for opening locks, which I put a pic of below, and button-mashing to garrote someone, just keep pressing 'e' until they croak. I don't think 1 and 2 had that stuff, but it's been a while. Anyway it wasn't too horrible.

Game is very rough though. Graphics look alright but don't seem to have that final pass that makes things look done. No resolution option for my 1920x1200, or anything above 1440x900 actually, so that is what I played at. Game crashed on me about 20 minutes in, so I did not finish the level. I guess it's a flashback to WW2, which seems weird to focus on as a demo for a Cold War game, but hey what do I know.

Overall it seems slightly decline but not overly so because the decline elements don't factor into gameplay much.

Random screens:

47D1B93F6CDEE231C5B1835B5A77B2DECE9626A0

A9F565E15B606DE6F57EC9DDBE12A72D1D408EF3

33209946E03F55FFDEE5C70F020D34C38CA1A713

E4BAD5F2861739F043317F56DC52C631857A3FD5

BC77F58A866C7A9C701CB90019C0031F91255193

Peter

Arcane
Well... it's Death to Spies, for the most part.

Honestly it feels like the team wanted to put some "modern improvements" in but kind of sucked at it, intentionally or not, so they are there but kind of not that important or useful.

Yeah, this was kinda the impression I got from the vid. That's... a relief, I guess?

Can't tell how annoying the minigame is from that screenshot alone, but yeah, previous games also had fairly involved lockpicking minigames.

Screenshots look decent enough (except for the bloom in the first one), as long as they still have the scale of the levels in the previous games. Do they, or does this suffer from the initial plans to develop for console?

Thanks for the impressions.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Can't tell how annoying the minigame is from that screenshot alone, but yeah, previous games also had fairly involved lockpicking minigames.

You just spin one direction until it shines green, then spin the other direction. The lockpick one was about matching shapes, which now that you reminded me I vaguely remember being roughly the same in DtS2.

Screenshots look decent enough (except for the bloom in the first one), as long as they still have the scale of the levels in the previous games. Do they, or does this suffer from the initial plans to develop for console?

The courtyard is basically what you see in the top pic. Once I got in the caste there were two routes and then further splintering from there. Felt about the same as some Death to Spies 2 missions I remember, but not as large as some others. So final verdict here will depend on other missions being more or less open, or the same. The challenge of enemy placement and such was super low, but I think it's the tutorial/first level, so that doesn't say much really. I'll try to beat the level again later if it doesn't crash again, so I can see if there is more content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom