Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
First they showed WW2, now space and sci fi? is there gonna be time travel or....

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So meteorite came to earth, released some kind of Prometheus black goo substance that created life. Then it happened again? And something else was created, something monstrous and a thing that can bend light, gravity & time. My impressions from the trailer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So meteorite came to earth, released some kind of Prometheus black goo substance that created life. Then it happened again? And something else was created, something monstrous and a thing that can bend light, gravity & time. My impressions from the trailer.
Sounds like a bad ELEX.

On a serious note,this trailer is very nonsensical to me. Aliens that hunt sound yet they have retarded robot baby that makes ton of sound when there is aliens around. Everyone in the trailer just stood there watching like retards.Also do people really like Norman Reedus? For me he is huge decline because of the lacking beard. Still can't wait for the game,want to see if Kojima is that genius that everyone is talking about or a raging lunatic that can make something only if he is constantly on a leash.

Perkel

Arcane
One thing we know at least. Story will be bad. MGS3 was fluke.

newtmonkey

Arcane
This is embarrassing. Kojima (sorry KOJIMASAN) is embarrassing. Once he had the ability to express himself, his games turned embarrassing. As good as MGS3 was, all the story stuff was a glorified GI JOE episode. Now he is paying to hire "hollywood" friends to hang around with him. Look man, hire Norman Reedus to do your voice acting if you think he is a fine actor. But when you start motion capturing his every breath and his balls, you got a problem.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Still can't wait for the game,want to see if Kojima is that genius that everyone is talking about or a raging lunatic that can make something only if he is constantly on a leash.
One thing we know at least. Story will be bad. MGS3 was fluke.
This is embarrassing. Kojima (sorry KOJIMASAN) is embarrassing. Once he had the ability to express himself, his games turned embarrassing. As good as MGS3 was, all the story stuff was a glorified GI JOE episode.
Kojima never wanted to make MGS3. MG was always pastiche, but S2 was where he really swung for the fences:
vcne9OH.jpg
Will DS be good? Who knows. I worry about gameplay, Del Toro's involvement, Sony, and Kojima's hollywood fanboyism. Ironically, he seems to have started believing his own memes, the focus of his greatest work.

EDIT:

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Metal Gear 1 was his best game, when he was stuck with space limitations and had no choice but to just copy his favorite American action movies and to focus on making a great game.

Once he got a platform, his autism and bizarre love/hate relationship with America was exposed. Like a lot of Japanese people, he loves American culture, but hates American government. That's fine, but it's not interesting.

Metal Gear Solid 1 was only good, imo, because the translator did a heroic job and made that mess into something that made sense to anyone who is not Japanese. I am not talking about military jargon etc (though the translator's efforts in researching that stuff was herculean imo; you could not pay me enough to take that job). The original Japanese version is nearly as awkward as MGS2 at times. I mean, I am not talking about the stuff that happens in the story, but the dialog. If you didn't know better, you might think that the English translation of MGS1 reads like it was originally written in English most of the time, while MGS2 reads like a good translation of Japanese—it doesn't sound artificial or awkward, but there is a lot of stuff in there that is really "Japanese" and I can only imagine that the translator was just doing his/her job and translated everything as is, even if it ended up reading awkward (for whatever reason, and there are MANY reasons why this could happen). I honestly do not care about the third-wall breaking stuff that Kojima and (apparently) Fukushima came up with. It's still GI JOE, mixed with typical Japanese "intellectual" pro-US culture/anti-US government stuff.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Metal Gear 1 was his best game, when he was stuck with space limitations and had no choice but to just copy his favorite American action movies and to focus on making a great game.
MG1 was barebones due to those same limitations. Gameplay vastly improved throughout the series starting with MG2 where enemies actually patrolled more than one screen, heard your shots, turned their heads etc. You couldn't even crawl in MG1.

Once he got a platform, his autism and bizarre love/hate relationship with America was exposed. Like a lot of Japanese people, he loves American culture, but hates American government. That's fine, but it's not interesting [...] I honestly do not care about the third-wall breaking stuff that Kojima and (apparently) Fukushima came up with. It's still GI JOE, mixed with typical Japanese "intellectual" pro-US culture/anti-US government stuff.
MGS games were more about corruptive rogue influences from outside government as represented by the philosophers/patriots/AI, in 2/3/4 especially. MG 1/2 were more anti-US government because the forces Big Boss rebelled against weren't defined as a cabal of global elites and power brokers, instead just referred to as "politicians", "NATO" etc.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Skimmed through it. No gameplay. Don't care. Same as over a year ago. With MGS3, we had the first gameplay trailer almost at the beginning! And it was a lot more fun to watch than this pretentious weirdness.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I assume that the gameplay will be the tipical hicking simulator mix between third person shooter and stealth, which could be really good if they manage properly those "invisible creatures or hazards" from the trailers.

DeepOcean

Arcane
There is a theory some Kojima fanboys are making on youtube, that those invisible creatures are representations of the players, some BS about Homo Ludens, so the game will be a meta commentary between the relationship between player and his controlled avatar where the player himself can enter on the game and his presence is recognized by the characters as if the player was force to be feared as he can manipulate them and their world not mattering their will. The player is a Homo Ludens, the one that plays, and the strings connecting everything are manipulated by the player as if he was a master of puppets and the game characters recognize this feeling helplessly manipulated and their fate to be decided by those that control them.

If this were true, I would say it would be brilliant, but looking to Kojima's trackrecord, this looks like some BS justification to include any weird shit happening on his japanese mind and the game will end as an incoherent mess with the fans making endless theories about what the game is about, very similar like the indoctrination theory on Mass Effect 3, where they will endlessly looking for meaning on what is just some crazy jap incoherent mess.

Hard to know how this will translate on gameplay, Kojima never were that much interested on gameplay, I played Metal Gear Solid 1 and outside the cinematics that must had been revolutionary on the PS 1 era, the gameplay is a boring by the numbers stealth/action game. The story felt like the story of some B action movie with weird japanese shit attached to it.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
There is a theory some Kojima fanboys are making on youtube, that those invisible creatures are representations of the players, some BS about Homo Ludens, so the game will be a meta commentary between the relationship between player and his controlled avatar where the player himself can enter on the game and his presence is recognized by the characters as if the player was force to be feared as he can manipulate them and their world not mattering their will. The player is a Homo Ludens, the one that plays, and the strings connecting everything are manipulated by the player as if he was a master of puppets and the game characters recognize this feeling helplessly manipulated and their fate to be decided by those that control them.

If this were true, I would say it would be brilliant, but looking to Kojima's trackrecord, this looks like some BS justification to include any weird shit happening on his japanese mind and the game will end as an incoherent mess with the fans making endless theories about what the game is about, very similar like the indoctrination theory on Mass Effect 3, where they will endlessly looking for meaning on what is just some crazy jap incoherent mess.

Hard to know how this will translate on gameplay, Kojima never were that much interested on gameplay, I played Metal Gear Solid 1 and outside the cinematics that must had been revolutionary on the PS 1 era, the gameplay is a boring by the numbers stealth/action game. The story felt like the story of some B action movie with weird japanese shit attached to it.
Sounds like something with zero meaning. So what if videogame characters are virtual toys?

Thane Solus

Arcane
oh that epic hipster designer that is neither good at gameplay or making B movie shity cutscenes, praised by every clueless designer and "gamer" on the planet.

meh...

He should team with Shafner and Roberts, and scam the shit out these people. Or work for Marvel :)))

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
First they showed WW2, now space and sci fi? is there gonna be time travel or....

My personal theory is that time itself is just completely broken, this quote from the first trailer kinda points towards this:

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom