Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Deadhold, a Myth-like real-time tactics game - CANCELLED

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not even saying that a game like Myth could succeed. I'm thinking of a subset of Myth, the Mazarrin's Demise-style horde survival maps. That seems totally marketable to today's audiences.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm also not saying the reference screwed the game over the hardest. After all, they also reference DoW2, which sure is popular to some.

Their biggest mistake was communication (which I think they understood somewhat in the post mortem, though not fully) and presentation (which they don't seem to recognize at all).
Just look at the trailer again, forget about your memories of older titles, just try and judge it neutrally.
You are commanding a bunch of (mostly standing around) guys, blowing up a bunch of other guys. On a pretty small scale. With really not much going on. Does that really seem interesting to you?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another one bites to dust on altar of 3D god. Should have gone 2D.
My own game is 2D isometric and I am not too sure about it.
It is easier to have the game look good in 2D (which was my main reason for going 2D), but the more animations you need, the easier it gets if you work in 3D. Even exporting prerendered models is a long and complex pipleine. I'm glad to have sticked to 2D, but now, with all the 3D engines, I don't think it makes things any easier for the programmer:
Things like "lighting, particle animations, animating characters" take much more effort than in 3D.
Also, wasn't the 3D one of Myht selling points?

Perkel

Arcane
Another one bites to dust on altar of 3D god. Should have gone 2D.
My own game is 2D isometric and I am not too sure about it.
It is easier to have the game look good in 2D (which was my main reason for going 2D), but the more animations you need, the easier it gets if you work in 3D. Even exporting prerendered models is a long and complex pipleine. I'm glad to have sticked to 2D, but now, with all the 3D engines, I don't think it makes things any easier for the programmer:
Things like "lighting, particle animations, animating characters" take much more effort than in 3D.
Also, wasn't the 3D one of Myht selling points?

Myth1/2 had 2D sprites instead of 3d models which is also reason why it could handle so many characters at the time.

As for 2D vs 3D thing. Many people point out that making animations for 2D models is too time consuming but they completely forget that once you have 3D models people expect them to be animated well, morph those animations etc. and if by any chance you will pick something with camera being close to characters people will expect them to gesticulate, have face animations etc. or if you get really close camera they will even expect Voice Actors.
And that is stuff without touching things like performance, AI, mission scripting. Adding third dimension to your game makes everything 3 times as complex. Just simple boudries that can be literally handdrawn in pain in 2D suddenly in 3D need complex scripting, creating navmeshes etc.

3D is like pandora box. Once you open it up it will fuck you up until you are prepared (which means $$$)

Congrats what was supposed to be easy thing to do exploded into feature that will cost you arm and leg
Change is perception is what devs don't usually understand. Once you get 3D models and camera that can be close to characters they expect MUCH more.

2D has downsides no question about it. But upsides are really strong and if you game matches upsides of 2D then there is no reason not to go 2D.

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
... I'm glad to have sticked to 2D, but now, with all the 3D engines, I don't think it makes things any easier for the programmer:
Things like "lighting, particle animations, animating characters" take much more effort than in 3D. (...)
(...)
3D is like pandora box. Once you open it up it will fuck you up until you are prepared (which means $$$)
(...)

Even if you are prepared for 3D , such preparedness usually won't drive great design decisions . Without good design decisions things become bland , or , -the even worse-, nu-Blizzard copycat clumsy models with tryhard color palette.

Realistic choices result when design drives decisions , going 2D or 3D should be a design based decision. In fact design should never be an afterthought. Star Citizen can be an example, why design is king.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom