Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dead State - The Release Date Question

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Aug 3, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

<p>You probably wonder when DoubleBear are going to release their first game <strong>Dead State</strong>. <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2184.0.html" target="_blank">Here's the answer</a>. A snippet:</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>We&rsquo;ve been getting the &ldquo;when is the game being released?&rdquo; question a lot on the forums, email, and Facebook. We&rsquo;ve answered this multiple times in the forum, it&rsquo;s in the FAQ, and we&rsquo;ve declared it in interviews, but we&rsquo;re still getting this question a lot. And in many ways, that&rsquo;s great, people are enthusiastic &ndash; we&rsquo;re glad there&rsquo;s a lot of interest. But let me explain the realities and responsibility of independent development a little bit better so that everyone understands why we don&rsquo;t have a release date. (Note: this is going to be redundant for a lot of forum regulars.)<br /><br />1. Games (especially with a small team and limited funding) take a long time to make. Especially RPGs.<br /><br />2. Not everything that goes into a game can be shown off in pictures and video. Posting Nick's code or my design mockups or a door Oscar just modeled isn't going to really excite you much. You want to see what looks like a game, and not everything we're working on is exciting. Believe it or not, many studios spend godawful amounts of time on work that will be mostly thrown out so that they have a facade that looks good for demos but isn't really a real game.<br /><br />3. We keep the updates going so people don't freak out if we suddenly stop posting. Sometimes we show off stuff that will appeal to casual fans, sometimes there is stuff for regulars here.<br /><br />4. The game is done when we're finished. We could cut a bunch of features and narrow the scope of the design, but why? This is DoubleBear's first game and we want you to impressed enough to buy other games from us. If we released it early for the sake of releasing it, chances are people would be posting, "when is this game going to be fixed?" which is much worse than "when is it going to be released?"</p>
    </blockquote>
    ^ Top  
  2. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Well they'd better hurry. There's only 20-30 zombie games released per month as it is. They don't want to be passe.
    ^ Top  
  3. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Vapourware.
    ^ Top  
  4. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Original Sinner Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    In before the inevitable "So... when is this game going to be released?".
    ^ Top  
  5. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I appreciate when a project is undertaken by only a handful of people with other commitments but I never understood the reluctance to make broad estimations like: within a year. A year to two years. Three+ years. And so on. Obviously no one wants to make false promises and have a bunch of whiny assholes throw those time frames back in their face when they aren't met but I'm just curious if this is something to expect in the next year or not for another couple/several.
    ^ Top  
  6. tilting_msh Formerly Judas Patron

tilting_msh
    Codex 2012
    Well, Brian did say on the Dead State forum that the game will definitely be out before 2014...so that's a rough idea, anyways.
    ^ Top  
  7. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    So the earliest is 2015.
    ^ Top  
  8. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Good enough for me.
    ^ Top  
  9. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    I will definitely save up some money for the Dead State and AoD Turn Based Titans two-pack of brave frontier spirit indie rpg goodness
    ^ Top  
  10. Bitcher Educated

Bitcher
    If you do your grandchildren will probably inherit it.
    ^ Top  
  11. asper Cipher

asper
    Project: Eternity
    How do they pay the rent while developing this game for years and years? Savings?
    ^ Top  
  12. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    I'm guessing they work jobs and make the game in their spare time, which is why this game will never come out.
    ^ Top  
  13. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak
    Brian, I believe, is working on the game full time and has some money saved away. Annie has a full-time job working on Guild Wars 2.
    ^ Top  
  14. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Pussy vapour.
    ^ Top  
  15. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    One day, one day...

Hey mang, PA settings never get old.
    ^ Top  
  16. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak
    Busy at work, then off on a well-deserved vacation.

I missed you, too.

:love:
    ^ Top  
  17. hanssolo Educated

hanssolo
    ITS takes promising games under it's wing and vapourises them.
    ^ Top  
  18. Elhoim Developer

Elhoim
    I was going to post something witty, but I can't surpass you, guys.
    ^ Top  
  19. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    [​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  20. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Yeah. ;)

Just wanted to use that pic somewhere.
    ^ Top  
  21. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    Edgy.

Why so bitter, micmu?
    ^ Top  
  22. Black Arcane

Black
    How surprising to see one developer of a vapourware to defend other's vapour!
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)