Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dead State - The Release Date Question

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

<p>You probably wonder when DoubleBear are going to release their first game <strong>Dead State</strong>. <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2184.0.html" target="_blank">Here's the answer</a>. A snippet:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>We&rsquo;ve been getting the &ldquo;when is the game being released?&rdquo; question a lot on the forums, email, and Facebook. We&rsquo;ve answered this multiple times in the forum, it&rsquo;s in the FAQ, and we&rsquo;ve declared it in interviews, but we&rsquo;re still getting this question a lot. And in many ways, that&rsquo;s great, people are enthusiastic &ndash; we&rsquo;re glad there&rsquo;s a lot of interest. But let me explain the realities and responsibility of independent development a little bit better so that everyone understands why we don&rsquo;t have a release date. (Note: this is going to be redundant for a lot of forum regulars.)<br /><br />1. Games (especially with a small team and limited funding) take a long time to make. Especially RPGs.<br /><br />2. Not everything that goes into a game can be shown off in pictures and video. Posting Nick's code or my design mockups or a door Oscar just modeled isn't going to really excite you much. You want to see what looks like a game, and not everything we're working on is exciting. Believe it or not, many studios spend godawful amounts of time on work that will be mostly thrown out so that they have a facade that looks good for demos but isn't really a real game.<br /><br />3. We keep the updates going so people don't freak out if we suddenly stop posting. Sometimes we show off stuff that will appeal to casual fans, sometimes there is stuff for regulars here.<br /><br />4. The game is done when we're finished. We could cut a bunch of features and narrow the scope of the design, but why? This is DoubleBear's first game and we want you to impressed enough to buy other games from us. If we released it early for the sake of releasing it, chances are people would be posting, "when is this game going to be fixed?" which is much worse than "when is it going to be released?"</p>
</blockquote>

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I appreciate when a project is undertaken by only a handful of people with other commitments but I never understood the reluctance to make broad estimations like: within a year. A year to two years. Three+ years. And so on. Obviously no one wants to make false promises and have a bunch of whiny assholes throw those time frames back in their face when they aren't met but I'm just curious if this is something to expect in the next year or not for another couple/several.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
Metro said:
I appreciate when a project is undertaken by only a handful of people with other commitments but I never understood the reluctance to make broad estimations like: within a year. A year to two years. Three+ years. And so on. Obviously no one wants to make false promises and have a bunch of whiny assholes throw those time frames back in their face when they aren't met but I'm just curious if this is something to expect in the next year or not for another couple/several.
Well, Brian did say on the Dead State forum that the game will definitely be out before 2014...so that's a rough idea, anyways.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Judas said:
Well, Brian did say on the Dead State forum that the game will definitely be out before 2014...so that's a rough idea, anyways.

Good enough for me.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I will definitely save up some money for the Dead State and AoD Turn Based Titans two-pack of brave frontier spirit indie rpg goodness

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
How do they pay the rent while developing this game for years and years? Savings?

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
asper said:
How do they pay the rent while developing this game for years and years? Savings?

I'm guessing they work jobs and make the game in their spare time, which is why this game will never come out.

Silellak

Cipher
asper said:
Brian, I believe, is working on the game full time and has some money saved away. Annie has a full-time job working on Guild Wars 2.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
One day, one day...

commie said:
Well they'd better hurry. There's only 20-30 zombie games released per month as it is. They don't want to be passe.
Hey mang, PA settings never get old.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
WetWorks1 said:
Fuck, i was hoping for next year.
141po2o.gif

Black

Arcane
How surprising to see one developer of a vapourware to defend other's vapour!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom