Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dead State Revealed

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions

<p>DoubleBear's Brian Mitsoda revealed that ZRPG will be called <strong>Dead State</strong>, and he did so alongside <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/25/a-blood-red-state-dead-state-revealed/#more-36965" target="_blank">answering a few questions to RPS</a> and providing a handful of screenshots.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>RPS: Care to talk a little about the difference between human and zombie opponents, in terms of how they work in game? I especially like a the genre-staple of a firefight against humans where the gun-shots attract zombies.</strong></p>
<p>Brian Mitsoda: Assuming you&rsquo;re not hitting a human hideout, humans you meet out in the field are likely to be in small groups, ready to confront you for the same resources or just because. Some of them were working in a frozen yogurt shop up to a few weeks ago, and others might have been hardcore gang-bangers with access to heavy weaponry. Humans are faster than zombies, better armored, and a lot more likely to kill you one-on-one. They might actively seek you out or they might try to stay hidden. Just like our allies, they have their own overriding combat imperatives. They&rsquo;re unpredictable, which makes them dangerous.</p>
<p>Zombies, on the other hand, are unorganized. They could be anywhere, but their behavior is predictable &ndash; they are attracted to noise and will attack the first human they see. They don&rsquo;t care about sides, so if your opponents are using loud guns, the zombies will go after them. If you can use the zombies to your advantage, you might be able to take on a larger force &ndash; and there are some items/strategies that can help with this &ndash; but it&rsquo;s a gamble. It&rsquo;s generally never a good idea to invite zombies into an area you want to explore. And don&rsquo;t forget &ndash; enemies (and allies) killed by zombies will get back up!</p>
<p>One thing we really wanted to capture with the gameplay was that feeling of dread that was a big part of X-Com. You only have line of sight to what you and your allies see. It&rsquo;s very easy to be in a situation where you turn the corner and there are five zombies waiting there or a case where you fail to properly sweep a bedroom and one lunges out of the walk-in closet while you&rsquo;re about to search the dresser. I think that&rsquo;s a big part of the zombie genre, that experience where your friend gets bit that one time you weren&rsquo;t careful. It makes the zombies in the game scary and the exploration very tense, rather than just consisting of killing all the enemies in the area and opening all the containers, repeat ad nauseam.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>thanks Elhoim!</em></p>

ady5

Educated
Mmmm, my manboobs just got a little bit more harder from reading all that. Can't wait to try this one out.

A couple of things strike at this moment though: if on the map there are 40-50 zombies, and the game is turn based, won't it take too long for the enemy turn to pass, with each zombie moving his zombie legs one at the time, thinking with their zombie brains one at the time also?(thinking about JA2 here).

Also, the morale system.
Morale tracks the overall mood of the Shelter – if it’s positive, mostly people are happy, if not, you need to start raising mood and accomplishing goals that will make people forget about the horror outside.
Doesn't it sound a bit like Sims 3? How much of a tedious job will be after a while to try and make every team member happy and in the mood to get fucked up by the zombies for the greater good of the Vau...Shelter?

Andhaira

Arcane
Name could have been better though. I mean come on, Dead State?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Freelance Henchman said:
We’re short-term thinking creatures and we don’t like to think of the big picture implications of our actions – global warming, borrowing money, cutting education/space spending.

HES A WARMIST!!!111

Worse, he's a dumbfuck who doesn't realize we'll run out of fossil fuels long before global warming would become a real problem.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AndhairaX said:
Name could have been better though. I mean come on, Dead State?

I like it. I won't be buying or playing it because it sounds like some faggy soap opera with zombies, but as far as names go it's not bad at all.

Sounds lovely.

ady5 said:
Mmmm, my manboobs just got a little bit more harder from reading all that. Can't wait to try this one out.

A couple of things strike at this moment though: if on the map there are 40-50 zombies, and the game is turn based, won't it take too long for the enemy turn to pass, with each zombie moving his zombie legs one at the time, thinking with their zombie brains one at the time also?(thinking about JA2 here).

Simultaneous movement during turns, perhaps? I think we can probably trust that they will solve this problem somehow.

ady5 said:
Also, the morale system.
Morale tracks the overall mood of the Shelter – if it’s positive, mostly people are happy, if not, you need to start raising mood and accomplishing goals that will make people forget about the horror outside.
Doesn't it sound a bit like Sims 3? How much of a tedious job will be after a while to try and make every team member happy and in the mood to get fucked up by the zombies for the greater good of the Vau...Shelter?

How is it any different from JA2 or XCom? People start dieing, everyone else starts panicking. It doesn't say you have to monitor their bladders, just their morale.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Overweight Manatee said:
Sounds lovely.

ady5 said:

Simultaneous movement during turns, perhaps? I think we can probably trust that they will solve this problem somehow.

Yep, that's the plan.

Jora

Arcane
Turisas said:
Will it feature an antagonistic codex rape gang?

Obviously RPG geeks would be among the survivors because they hid in their basements during the apocalypse :P

tunguska

Liturgist
Isn't Brian Mitsoda of Troika (and Obsidian) some kind of Codex God? After all he was a writer/designer for VtM:Bloodlines. Maybe this isn't quite like MCA starting his own company (which hasn't worked out nearly as well as we had hoped), but it certainly is a rare bit of good news. Maybe DoubleBear will be the new Troika (lite). :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom