Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I deleted it since all the challenge of surviving went out of the game somewhere between day 20-30, zombies became tedious speed bumps around then or earlier as well. I might reinstall if some higher difficulties/rebalances are introduced or someone makes a mod.

Multi-headed Cow

Status report: gave Hartz food and fuel because he seems like a nice young man. Found the radio dude. Found the Codex but I haven't gathered my party and ventured forth yet. Car is roughly one more game day away from being fully upgraded and then I'll probably retire the horses. Found a Wal-mart employee who I am confident isn't going to go on a shooting spree in the shelter. Found a rich lady who offered to indulge rape fetishes. No idea what day I'm on because I always forget to look. Found another chicken which is always a highlight.

And then I found SIR CHARLESTON, KNIGHT OF CASTLE SPLENDID

EC39F977AFF073FD0C1A121DE8D62DB8889E7F2C

And then some Hartz/soldier talk:
Probably shouldn't have given Hartz supplies since all soldiers are shits and Paul said he didn't trust them, but I figured what the fuck. It was like 20 food and 5 fuel and I'm over 2,000 food and 100 fuel. Probably going to trigger an attack on the shelter because they'll think "Shit these people have so many goodies they're giving them away" but eh. Also found a data item that sounds like there's a hotel somewhere near Austin which may have actual good soldiers in it, since the mercs turned on them. Tempted to gear up a team and explore over there. Still don't really have a story direction to head in.

cw8

Cipher
And then I found SIR CHARLESTON, KNIGHT OF CASTLE SPLENDID

And then some Hartz/soldier talk:
Probably shouldn't have given Hartz supplies since all soldiers are shits and Paul said he didn't trust them, but I figured what the fuck. It was like 20 food and 5 fuel and I'm over 2,000 food and 100 fuel. Probably going to trigger an attack on the shelter because they'll think "Shit these people have so many goodies they're giving them away" but eh. Also found a data item that sounds like there's a hotel somewhere near Austin which may have actual good soldiers in it, since the mercs turned on them. Tempted to gear up a team and explore over there. Still don't really have a story direction to head in.

One of the more, if not most memorable character in the game, Sir Charleston.

Yes, there's a hotel in Austin Outskirts. It's a multi leveled dungeon filled with max out equipped mercs and game bugs. Staircase bug is particularly annoying. There's a copter at the end that's probably tied to one of the endings but there doesn't seem a way to activate it.

Multi-headed Cow

Just made a trip to Austin. For some reason I now have enough advanced tactical armor for the whole party. :dance:

Plan I talked about for preparing for a shootout a while back worked a treat. Put heaviest armor, SWAT shield, electro-baton on my PC and had him advance and draw fire, rest of my party was 10 ranged Paul, 10 ranged Bud, and 7 ranged 7 medical Karen all loaded up with heavy armor and biggest guns. PC didn't take a single point of damage despite getting attacked the most, Paul and Karen took a few points (Paul taking the most damage when a merc with a combat shotgun ran up and got two blasts in) but nothing big. Bud sat back and plinked with the sniper rifle. Time for some light looting and exploration since I haven't got Packmule Getz or the car and I'm carrying more equipment than I normally do.

Edit: And now I'm stuck on some stairs and I can't go up or down. THE DANCING CEASES NOW.

Edit 2: Alright, got myself unstuck by manually selecting each character and desperately moving them in the tiny landing of the stairs, which made the game realize "Oh yeah, your party IS gathered" and let me venture forth. Cautiously resume dancing.

Edit 3: Dancing stops again.
Got to the roof. Started fight. Merc got in an endless loop of switching from axe to pistol to axe. God damn it Dead State you were being so well behaved until I got to Austin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I have played about +60 days or so. Skipped another +10 days just hitting bed. Spoil me what is the there supposed to happen later, since the game does not want to tell me.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have played about +60 days or so. Skipped another +10 days just hitting bed. Spoil me what is the there supposed to happen later, since the game does not want to tell me.
The endgame
begins on day 85.
Let me know if you want more spoilers than that. But you're pretty close to seeing it for yourself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70755535/dead-state-the-zombie-survival-rpg/posts/1133302

We have some good news - the Dead State Original Soundtrack is now available on Steam!

For those of you who backed at a tier that provided a digital copy of the soundtrack, you should be receiving an email within the next couple of days with a key to claim yours. Just remember - you need to have the game in your library in order to be able to download it! Those who opted out of Steam but backed at a tier that included the digital soundtrack will receive an alternate non-Steam code.

Make sure to check your spam boxes regularly during this time! When we sent out game keys last February, we found that sometimes these were directed to spam. E-mails will come from our kickstarter@doublebearproductions.com account and have the subject line "KS Backer Reward: Digital Dead State Soundtrack."

The email contains guidance on how to activate your key on Steam, so make sure to read it carefully!

While we're here, we would be remiss if we didn't take time to mention the talented composer of all 26 of the Dead State OST tracks, Leif Chappelle. You can check out more of his music and read his bio at his website if you're so inclined :)

Come back and let us know what you think once you've given the album a listen!

Multi-headed Cow

You can also go to Dead State\art\sounds\music if you can bear listening to oggs.

Also status report, day 50something, 50+ hours spent on the game, over 3,000 food now, recruited 4 or so more people, all upgrades built in shelter, car fully upgraded, everyone has advanced tactical armor, melee users have crazy unique melee weapons, even Karen is decent in combat now with a laser sighted rifle taken from the lead merc. Just driving to the last few tiny pieces of empty map and knocking out 3-4 locations a day with the car now. You'd think finding a fully functional helicopter would do something if you, for example, have a helicopter pilot in your group and party, but nope. No new story developments. Found another chicken.

DFEC71A0F2CE3E6B89C8A537F9BB53620DCF3DAA

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Converted the oggs one by one, cross-referenced the soundtrack on Chappelle's bandcamp, painstakingly matched the files up to rename them correctly, and for what?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Is the music so good? I remember liking the music in the trailer back then.

Goddamn I want to play that game too. So little time :(

agris

Arcane
Patron
Also Oggs aren't bad, but they're usually associated with minimized file footprints, i.e. lots of compression. I don't think ogg standard compression puts a haircut above 16 kHz like default mp3 compression does.

Zombra

Patron
Is the music so good? I remember liking the music in the trailer back then.
I wouldn't invite my friends over to sit down and listen to it, but I like having soundtracks of games I enjoyed on my iPod, so I can be reminded of the good times when I'm out riding my bike or whatever.

You can listen to it all you want on his bandcamp.

Zombra

Patron
So [unrelated bad game is] still better than Dead State?
:lol: Man, I say this as a comrade-in-arms, it's time to start thinking about letting it go. This obsession is getting embarrassing.

"Good morning dear, would you please pass the salt?"
"No, mom! Dead State is a bad game!"
"Oh honey, I've told you I don't know what that is. We're talking about breakfast now."
"Bad!! Bad bad bad Dead State bad worse everything worst ever ever ever ever!! Admit it! Get you!! Hrrrrngh Dead State"
"Angel, please put that down before you hurt yourself. Now you go on your Internet while I call Dr. Whitaker."
(typing furiously) "DEAD STAAAATE @(#%(@*#(! AAAAARGHLLLGRRRRR"

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I wonder what Mitsoda is thinking of doing now.
Design another game for crowdfunding?
Try to join inXile or Obsidian?

Perkel

Arcane
hit day 30.

Few thoughts:

- combat is fun. it is not very deep but there is something that scratches my tactical itch more than lets say Wasteland 2. Especially gun combat feels awesome. There are also stuff like tasers or hammer with knockdown ability. Both malee and guns have interesting weapons and they are usually not clear cut DPS machines but function differently. So shotgun is powerful but you need to watch out for noise. Some gun can be powerfull but slow thus bad in close gunfights and so on. This is especially important as characters don't gain HP. HP aside from minor stat upgrades have set HP and it is mostly gear that decides who will be better in long run. In therm of balance it is really really really good system.
That being said i wish sladgehammer didn't exist. I have this dude Max something he has sledgehammer and has like 200-300 zombies dead where rest of my party has like 2-5 zombies. It is simply to easy to run to zombie (even upfront) hit it for insta death and run away. Rinse and repeat which like some people points out get tedious. At my point i roll whole map with only max and noone else and then later i loot things with party.
Only real resistance are humans and for now i don't have firepower to take on some of those dudes like rogue soldiers.
- Game is absolutely HUGE. So far i have explored like 50% of map but some of those maps like shelters or hospitals are bigger than for example whole NCR city in Fallout 2. And there are shit ton of them. Yes some of building are copy paste but most of the time they have uniqness to them especially places that have people in it or had people just recently.
- Encounter design. This is MAJOR plus for dead state. There are shit ton of handplaced encounters that more or less are interesting. From dudes that want to speak with you just to blast you off with shotgun, to survivor gangs, npcs with their backstories, dudes in middle of some activities like looting warehouses to ambushes or even factions wars.
- Sound design. Fits game perfectly. Sure music isn't anything amazing but it fits game and it is not bad.
- Graphic. It is not hot new shiny stuff but overall i like art style.
- Shelter interaction. Great stuff. I wish it would be even more expanded. Yes there are some rather annoying npcs and some weird stuff but overall it rather well depicts how realistic survivors would behave. Minor problem is that so far being goody goody is perfect option and being douche doesn't yeld anything useful.
- Upgrade/crafting system. Again good stuff. Especially later building require some amount of people to build stuff. So to run properly shelter you will need to recruit people and assign jobs. I didn't run out yet of things to build.
- Game crashes for me a lot like every two hour.

TL,DR: Surprised it is that good. I expected shelter survival game with tedious resource gathering but i got shelter survival game with awesome encounters and some tedious mechanics and stuff that simply is interesting + combat that in fun.

Now what i would love to see in this game:

- first of "scavenging job" so that i wouldn't need to move out from shelter every single day because of morale hit. Naturally it wouldn't be as affective as proper scavenging group and could sometimes fail in various ways (like finding nothing/awesome stuff, people got hurt or even small chance for being infected or dead) which could be tied down to characters events. Generally this would cut a lot tedious stuff and players would focus more on exploration and missions given that hunting every single zombie on map to secure it and loot it.
- definitely more interaction between characters and not just in the morning. I know that game has huge amount NPCs that you can join but i think few less for more fleshed out other npcs would be better deal.
- a bit better writting of characters. There are few in my shelter characters that are interesting ton of characters are walking stereotypes
- proper ironman support which means - proper handling of escape from battles because right now escaping from battle seems almost imposible. For people who enjoy more harder game mode in which they can only save in shelter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/239840/announcements/detail/248033244168999831

February Progress Update
25 FEBRUARY - CORGIPEDE
Hi everyone! We just wanted to check in with you and let you know what's happening behind the scenes at DoubleBear, since we know some of you are wondering.

We're making good progress on the content and fixes for Update #6. As previously mentioned, this one has brand new, somewhat complex features, so it's taking longer than the usual patch turnover time. Right now, we're done with about 75% of the new features, but we need to finish the remaining 25% and squish bugs that surfaced during testing, so there's still some work left to do.

Thanks for hanging in there while we get everything ready! We don't have an ETA yet, but we're *really* excited about what's coming up and we think it will be worth the wait :)

http://steamcommunity.com/games/239840/announcements/detail/248033244168999831

February Progress Update
25 FEBRUARY - CORGIPEDE
Hi everyone! We just wanted to check in with you and let you know what's happening behind the scenes at DoubleBear, since we know some of you are wondering.

We're making good progress on the content and fixes for Update #6. As previously mentioned, this one has brand new, somewhat complex features, so it's taking longer than the usual patch turnover time. Right now, we're done with about 75% of the new features, but we need to finish the remaining 25% and squish bugs that surfaced during testing, so there's still some work left to do.

Thanks for hanging in there while we get everything ready! We don't have an ETA yet, but we're *really* excited about what's coming up and we think it will be worth the wait :)
Gotta love it when a developer really listens to criticism during Early Access.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom