Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Just look at Vince, you think any troll or fanboi is going to phase him after spending years here?

He's one cool customer. Nothing phases him. lol

Drakron

Arcane
Heh, I remember when DA2 come out Gaider blamed Metracritic scores on the Codex, then switched to /v/ (likely because few on their forums even knew what the fuck was RPG Codex).

We been irrelevant for quite a while.

Telengard

Arcane
And I don't see much catering to purely Codexian tastes. It is after all, low on challenge, survival elements, character building, tits, tasteful rape, even more tits, and harem gameplay.
In short RPGs are just an excuse for Codex depravity.
In this case this site should only cover Japanese games.
Yes, this is why Sengoku Rance is such a beloved Codexian institution. I'm glad we understand each other.
Okay, it is turn-based and has story choices, though. But then, so are browser-based games like No One Has To Die.
Let me put the point across your numbskulls.
Expedition:Conquistador sold poorly, maybe the fact that the first release fried graphic cards has something to do with that, bur KKKodexers were a-okay with it because they could satisfy their racism and inperialism fantasies.
Now the Codex rejoice that the publisher of that game is filing for insolvency, true, BitComposer is guilty of a Jagged Allince travesty and maybe the Demise of Chaos Chronicles.
Now they are happy that DoubleBear will go out of business.
All of the above only proves that going the Codex route is suicide for everyone, on a side note, Obsidian in fact survived because of slam dunking and catering to the mainstream.
Let's take a look at companies the Codex 'hates', Bethesda, 'nuff said, Bioware, they are still selling millions of copies despite their besr efforts to fail.
In short, anyone that want to be a succesful developer should stay away from the Codex.
Let see how Brian and Vince will fare.
Let's see - weak challenge, weak survival elements, weak RPG elements, focus on story and story choices. Hmm, it seems they already went Biowarian. Minus only the harem gameplay.

Maybe that was their mistake in getting mass appeal? Let's see now... Romancing survivors in the backdrop of the apocalypse. Plus zombies.

Yep! I think we nailed it right there. Sales goldmine. If you can also romance a zombie, platinum.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
This thread proves only that catering to the tastes of the KKKodex is the real mistake.
It is? Someone should phone Swen, Brian and those guys from Harebrained Studios, they're actually broke.
How many of them post here?
Your examples just prove that the Codex should be kept at arm's lenght.
And Larian needed Kickstarter to complete their game, jist saying.
PS:
And they are all males.
I must admit that Gaider and Vogel were right, start doing popamole mainstream shit and rack in the money without the hassle of 'customers' that hate you, literally, because of your gender or political ideas, whatever, while keeping your fingers crossed that you breack even.
Yes, because BioWare wasn't getting tons of hate for ME3 and/or Hepler's twitterings. Also, which part of DoubleBear's current predicament comes from Codex, gender or politics, exactly? Or because of catering to Codexian tastes. Pls to specify, I think I missed something important.
Bioware got very little hate, you are confusing being loudmouth with being the majority, ME3 got abysmal reception because of the RGB ending not the rest of glaring flaws, Hepler's mistake was to put herself in the role of the lighting rod, a mistake made by Annie too unfortunately.
And get real, Hepler was right when saying that her being a woman earned such hatred, exactly the same thing happing in this thread, the shortcomings of the game are just an excuse for the retardo KKKrew to go on a rampage.
And must be noted that until now Developers get in such predicament only when they are women or working on RPGS, the oldschool type is rife with women haters as this site proves.

Kept at arms length? KKK? Is that the tolerance SJW demand of others, but do not practice themselves?
My dear, you better than anyone else should know that my idea of a Social Jusice Warrior is Pol Pot.
You prove the stupidity of Codexian arguments once again..

And you're a poo poo head too! :P

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I think that if a Steam review has 1,000 upvotes, then those upvotes are there for 1,000 different reasons, but the stated purpose of that button is "this review was helpful". It does not in any way imply some kind of popular "I agree with you and you are correct" mandate.

Yet the point is still that Steam is not the place if you want to find valid criticism of any kind. Most of what you will get there are kneejerk reactions and one-line endorsements, often of the emotional kind—and why would it be any different since the purpose of the whole thing is to sell games, not promote quality? Since that’s the sort of mindset Steam actively encourages, I highly doubt a “thumb-up” will be seen as anything other than that, whatever it may be called; and that’s both on the level of the one who presses the button and the one who sees the button has been pressed.

Lhynn

Arcane
Heh, I remember when DA2 come out Gaider blamed Metracritic scores on the Codex, then switched to /v/ (likely because few on their forums even knew what the fuck was RPG Codex).

Irrelevant to the AAA maybe, but im so past giving a shit about them.

Angthoron

Arcane
Kz3r0, you should never go full retard, mon cher ami. Better stop before you embarrass yourself. Your arguments are weak, your rhetoric is fresh as a lutefisk and your concern over others' rectums is frankly concerning, unless you're a professional.

Really, though, why don't you stop pulling things out of your ass and check what actually happened? You'll probably be shocked to discover that the start-event had nothing to do with Codex, and that the initial reaction to it all was fairly supportive towards DB until they started heading in the direction where you actually went at a very brisk pace. Hell, you might even find out that I'm pretty positive towards the company, the devs and the game. All sorts of amazing things happen when you learn to read, Officer Barbrady.

With that, though, I recommend that you stop quoting me. Not because I'm butthurt though, sorry, in fact this has been quite entertaining, but rather, because your lines are growing stale.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Out of curiosity, how many here have finished the game? I've shelved it for now, got up to about day 40, I'll probably get around to finishing it eventually, but definitely can't see myself replaying the game in its current state. How do you peeps who have finished the game or gotten to 40+ days of it feel about the game overall?

Angthoron

Arcane
Out of curiosity, how many here have finished the game? I've shelved it for now, got up to about day 40, I'll probably get around to finishing it eventually, but definitely can't see myself replaying the game in its current state. How do you peeps who have finished the game or gotten to 40+ days of it feel about the game overall?
Haven't yet. How long is it supposed to be, days-wise?

I finished days ago, after that time there is little challenge.

Only Soldiers/Mercs could pose a threat. Get's kinda boring, and some important questlines seem to be cut or bugged.

EDIT:
I met 2 NPCs that were talking about a cure, and one of them (CDC scientist) had a good idea and asked me some stuff, including a life support system. Couldn't find any, and some google search made me think they need to repatch into the game.

And later on you get a crisis event to finish the game (day 80+ iirc). Your options are to escape on the schoolbus, asking a military guy for help, or remaining in the school. I couldn't locate the guy, and the later option seemed a bad idea (wont spoil why), so I only tried the first.

So if the content i missed isnt actually in the game, then the game really lacks important plot events. If someone knows anything else, please tell.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think we've reached the stage where we can demand that devs post here. Swen (account name lar_q) posted here a handful of times. Then he left to work on his game, just like Annie did.

Yes, Annie was a longtime poster and it's kind of lame that she left, but you can say the same about any number of Obsidian devs who stopped posting on the Codex when FO:NV development began and never returned.
I don't think the argument is that Annie did anything wrong by stopping posting here, but that's proof that DoubleBear was not "making a game for the codex".

Kz3r0

Arcane
Kz3r0, you should never go full retard, mon cher ami. Better stop before you embarrass yourself. Your arguments are weak, your rhetoric is fresh as a lutefisk and your concern over others' rectums is frankly concerning, unless you're a professional.

Really, though, why don't you stop pulling things out of your ass and check what actually happened? You'll probably be shocked to discover that the start-event had nothing to do with Codex, and that the initial reaction to it all was fairly supportive towards DB until they started heading in the direction where you actually went at a very brisk pace. Hell, you might even find out that I'm pretty positive towards the company, the devs and the game. All sorts of amazing things happen when you learn to read, Officer Barbrady.

With that, though, I recommend that you stop quoting me. Not because I'm butthurt though, sorry, in fact this has been quite entertaining, but rather, because your lines are growing stale.
Curbstomping imbeciles like you is always enterteaning, even if you can only resort to codexims.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Haven't yet. How long is it supposed to be, days-wise?

I think it's around 80-90 days from what I can gather, the thought I'm only half-way is painful, I'm tempted just to sleep away the remaining days, I think I have enough food and fuel to do that.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This thread proves only that catering to the tastes of the KKKodex is the real mistake.

Nobody here wanted this game. The reception to its announcement ranged between "abandonware lol" to "another fucking zombie game?" As far as I can tell the only person who reliably wanted this game was Brian. Then he went on to make a storyfag game without a real story, a heavy on C&C game full of broken scripts, a turn based tactical game with piss easy combat, a survival game in which survival quickly stops being a challenge, all wrapped up in an overused theme with which he did absolutely nothing that hasn't already been done before.

It tells all that the most 'outraged' shitheads here are renown popamolers like Minus Habens, AKA mastermind.

Wait, which one is it? I thought the game failed because its biggest detractors are non-popamole old school fans. If I'm a popamoler then this game was never meant to cater to me in the first place so why does this matter?

Also, the game has retarded shit like dead people "resurrecting". A guy that I killed in an enemy base came back asking help; and 2 survivors who were no longer with me (I took Regina for a walk) will still talk in the end game crisis event.

Angthoron

Arcane
I don't think we've reached the stage where we can demand that devs post here. Swen (account name lar_q) posted here a handful of times. Then he left to work on his game, just like Annie did.

Yes, Annie was a longtime poster and it's kind of lame that she left, but you can say the same about any number of Obsidian devs who stopped posting on the Codex when FO:NV development began and never returned.
I don't think the argument is that Annie did anything wrong by stopping posting here, but that's proof that DoubleBear was not "making a game for the codex".
Eh, at least in my context, I was just saying that it'd be cool if she kept posting rather than anything else. Maybe for others it's proof of that, though, different shit for different people.

Also, the game has retarded shit like dead people "resurrecting". A guy that I killed in an enemy base came back asking help; and 2 survivors who were no longer with me (I took Regina for a walk) will still talk in the end game crisis event.
Might just be bugs, though? Sounds like broken scripts to me.

Curbstomping imbeciles like you is always enterteaning, even if you can only resort to codexims.
Yawn. Your posts bore me
So much that my last response
Is a haiku, bye.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody here wanted this game.

Oh? Let's see if that's true.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=6172
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=6176
http://www.rpgcodex.net/tags.php?id=713

One thing's for sure - that's a hell of a lot of responses for a game nobody cared about.

The truth is that in the pre-Kickstarter period of decline, "weird" RPGs like Dead State, Knights of the Chalice, Age of Decadence, Grimoire, etc, were a big big deal on the Codex.

Since Kickstarter began, so much has changed that people can't really wrap their heads around how things were back then. The past is a different country.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

One thing's for sure - that's a hell of a lot of responses for a game nobody cared about.

The truth is that in the pre-Kickstarter period of decline, "weird" RPGs like Dead State, Knights of the Chalice, Age of Decadence, Grimoire, etc, were a big big deal on the Codex.

Since Kickstarter began, so much has changed that people can't really wrap their heads around how things were back then. The past is a different country.

What do you mean by weird? like extra niche even for an rpg?

At least now we can actually get dissapointed by games, instead of just *knowing* they are just SHITSHITSHIT.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

By this metric Fallout 4, a game that hasn't even been announced yet, is gonna be the codex game of the century. The first thread you linked devolved into something about samurai, and the second was lukewarm (some people were excited but I don't recognize them and they have few posts so I'm guessing they're not the codexers our Number One Zero was talking about). It also devolved into odes to necrophilia. And the elements that excited people (like survival) turned out to be trivial grinding in the actual game.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
The problem with Kickstarter is it sells the fantasy of whatever people make up in their heads. No game can live up it. If it does its rare.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Out of curiosity, how many here have finished the game?

Just went and checked, seems I got to day 48.:D Had 5478 morale, 2968.8 food, 967 parts, 78 antibiotics and 155.4 gallons of fuel. With every upgrade built 'n shit.:S I'm in agreement with most here, the game just becomes too fucking boring after a while.:/ Shame. I don't think I'll ever finish it. I tried to though! I really, really tried. Think it was that HUGE hospital that finally killed it for me. I liked how it looked, loved the size of it and all that, but the game glitched out and stuck me in combat mode for pretty much that entire area because zombies could see through floors for some reason.:S I'd be walking around in the ground floor and aggro zombies on the first floor, which would then take forever to get to me, leaving me stuck in combat mode. Was not a fun experience.:(

Deleted member 7219

To Gaider maybe, but not to other developers. Obsidian (especially Chris Avellone) give us a lot of attention. There aren't many Obsidian devs here but there are a few, Brandon Adler is one of them. Feargus Urquhart gave us many shoutouts during the Eternity Kickstarter party.

inXile love us, Fargo frequently gives us shout outs and interacts with the RPG Codex Twitter account. Kevin Saunders, Colin McComb, ML Markland have active Codex user accounts. George Ziets also has an account here and was last active in April.

Then you have Larian, who aren't on the Codex but they saw fit to include our name in an intro slide to Divinity: Original Sin.

Obsidian, inXile and Larian are the future of RPGs and they have been for a while now, BioWare do nothing but disappoint and Double Bear never even got off the ground.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The problem with Kickstarter is it sells the fantasy of whatever people make up in their heads. No game can live up it. If it does its rare.

Well, 'fantasy of whatever people make up in their heads', the devs help a lot.:D Once you back a game on Kickstarter, you pretty much sign yourself up for a 2,3-year long steady stream of 'hype'.:)

Drakron

Arcane

I never asked for it so its true.

Other people opinions are irrelevant.

That is not the truth, Codex spend a awful lot of time on discussion about AAA RPGs, like Oblivion and Mass Effect ... some people talked about Indy games but pre-kickstarter they were simply dreams or vapoerware, I would say people mostly recognized that.

But I can.

Kickstarter allowed games that would be commercial failures to be made and became commercial failures, it also allowed some niche nostalgia games and a lot of crap ... its a mixed bag but nothing changed except the volume, not the ratio ... small studios and indy developers games always been a mix bag with a lot of crap, Kickstarter just raised their output, thats it.

Dead State is a example of that, from what I see it seen if it was pre-kickstarter it would nothing but a cheap cashgrab banking on the Zombie fad that it just missed, a lot of ideas rushed in with a low budget thrown out before the fad was over ... not that the people arent passionate about it and it even might be a cult classic for some but it simply lacks the production value and the polish to be anything more that a bargain bin title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom