Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

SniperHF

Arcane
I'm about halfway through DS and haven't run into a real issue with quests or anything I would define as gamebreaking. What are those issues people are having? Even in their Known issues thread I don't really see anything gamebreaking. I think some of the steam reviews are really stretching that term.

Not discounting the possibility or anything, but the steam community is a sewer so I wouldn't trust them.

The most glaring issue I ran into was the Abortion quest line. She wanted me to get the equipment for it, I said no/fuckoff. She had the "back shelter" (har har) abortion and both she and davis chewed me out over it. But then like 4 days later she Complained of morning sickness :M.

Per Steam Charts, 1408 people were playing it at its peak, and it's still in the 700 range. I have no idea what the right benchmark is; Wasteland 2 had 18,500 at its peak, but Age of Decadence (which of course hasn't yet been released) peaked at 81, Unrest peaked at 77, Avadon peaked at 94, etc. Primordia, which is a totally different genre, peaked at 148 IIRC. I assume these are a decent proxy for sales figures.

A pretty close comparable in price and performance is Dragonfall Directors Cut.
http://steamcharts.com/app/239840

They obviously had the benefit of a bigger KS and more sales from SRR though.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They're patching up some of worst issues, my main character was permanently burned until the last patch. The difficulty is a joke though (outside of a handful of military run ins so far). Not 100% sure what can be done to save it, maybe they could take the body targeting system of AOD to at least make things more interesting, AI could try for head shots, zombies could soak up way more punishment unless you target the head, maybe give them a bonus to drag you to the floor if you're in contact with more than 1.

34scell

Augur
At least on release, you couldn't stop the rival group events from happening by wiping out their HQs early and certain changes to the maps that are supposed to take into effect due to the story don't happen. I don't believe they've fixed this yet.

Multi-headed Cow

A solemn vow that Doublebear would keep rape out of Dead State as long as Bioware kept rape out of Dragon Age. Fucking Bioware even ruining games they don't have a hand in making.

Edit: Here, went and looked it up for you. http://news.ea.com/press-release/ea...eration-rpgs-dragon-age-inquisition-launching
EDMONTON, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA), today announced that the highly-anticipated, epic role-playing game, Dragon Age™: Inquisition will take a firm stance against sexual violence. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, the expansive, beautiful world of Thedas is being torn apart by a massive, mysterious breach in the sky. Players must assume the role of the Inquisitor and lead a team of legendary heroes to uncover the truth behind the impending devastation.

Discover all-new gameplay from Dragon Age: Inquisition in “The Inquisitor” trailer: http://youtu.be/uO2h4qUNJ60.

“Our goal with Dragon Age: Inquisition is to usher in the next generation of role playing games,” said Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare Edmonton and Montreal. “Players will experience the rich storylines and characters that they’ve come to expect from BioWare, in a safer environment where they don't feel threatened.”

Players can pre-order* Dragon Age: Inquisition to get special bonus content. Visit the Dragon Age website for more information on editions, including the Deluxe Edition available for pre-order and the upcoming Inquisitor’s Edition.

Become a fan of Dragon Age: Inquisition on Facebook and follow us on Twitter® via http://www.twitter.com/dragonage.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is in development at BioWare in Edmonton and will be available for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC via Origin™. The game has not yet been rated the ESRB and PEGI; visit www.esrb.org and www.pegi.info for more information.

* Conditions and restrictions apply. See https://www.origin.com/store/buy/dragon-age-inquisition/pc-download/base-game/digital-deluxe-edition for details

The Doublebear end of that was in their forum somewhere but I can't be assed to root around for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kris

Arcane
didnt they have a Kickstarter? :S
Without that, it would have been canceled back in 2012 since they reached a point where they realized they needed to actually have paid employees to get it done.

They got like $400k on Kickstarter, plus Early Access -- that seems like a lot of money to spend in the relatively short amount of time since the Kickstarter, though I have no idea how big the team was. I thought it was like four people?
Who’s working on it?
Brian - Project Lead/Design/Writing
Oscar - Lead Artist
Nick - Lead Programmer
Annie - Design/Writing
Christina - Production
Eugene - Programming
Ivan - Animations
Mazin - 2D/3D Art
Kim - 2D Art
Joao - 3D Art
Jason - 3D Art
Brandon - 2D Art
Leif - Music
Zack - SFX
Jonathan - Programming
Jacob - QA / Test
Vince - Support

They raised about $332,635, minus fees it's probably closer to $300,000, with a development time of 29 months that's about $10,000/month (though I guess it'd be slightly more with EA). Beats me how it all broke down per employee though.

Nothing to say most of those been in for the whole cycle. Some might just been hired to do some work.

I saw this weekend that I actually bought the game. I won't play it until I hear people say it is more or less bug-free.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
----------------------Reposting
Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda going nuts on her blog

I never thought my reserves of being strong were inexhaustible by any means, but like, I never knew HOW exhausted they could be. I’m spent into a DEFICIT.

It’s the point where one wants to look for some kind of help from some benevolent soul with a lot of clout to just - one kind word. Well, one PUBLIC kind word. A pat on the shoulder in private doesn’t do much if it can’t save the things (and ultimately people) that I care about.

And that one person could do so much harm - one fucker who thinks we one him an apology for BUGS being in a GAME! And who is willing to try and burn down the reputation of my company because we don’t want to respond to his hijack and his harassment - it’s staggering. What the fuck. What possible reason could a $30 purchase warrant that is like “fuck these people and their not bending over backwards to publically flog themselves because I asked them to, TIME TO TRY AND RUIN THEIR COMPANY.” Is it that negativity is really that strong?

(HA, and at a leading question, Tumblr automatically pops up an “Let people answer this” box. No thanks, Tumblr. I don’t think I really want to know)

I don’t need 10s. Or A+ or green or whatever passes for high marks. I know how hard we worked and I know the flaws and I know what we can (and will fix) and what we can’t. I would just settle for people not acting like we’re some kind of ENEMIES of theirs. That would be swell.

And while I’m asking for impossible things, a positive Tweet from Notch would be fucking STELLAR.

What's this about then?

EDIT: Also I would advise anyone against actually reading that blog past this particular post.

Annie V. Mitsoda @Murderblonde · 20h20 hours ago
Always so nice when a dickbag you banned from your forums for being a dickbag writes a Steam review to try and destroy your game. Joy.

At what point did we tell any consumer ever it is super okay to threaten any creator if their wishes are not EXACTLY catered to?

I mean, did that HAPPEN and I just didn't get told? Or are we sort of just all fine with letting trolls control everything now? No? Yes?

Yikes!

I mean, shit, obviously it's gotta suck seeing anyone shitting on your game, but why go nuts like this, publicly 'n shit?:S Seems really silly. Seems even sillier than her husband raging against fucking piracy.

So yeah, bit surprised 'shutting up' hasn't crossed her mind yet.:S Especially since she's so desperate to sell this game.

Really enjoyed the game a lot though, for a long while. Put in around 70,80 hours actually into a single (unfinished) playthrough. I was more or less able to ignore all the various bugs and glitches, but like others have said, the difficulty zombie-wise drops off way too quickly. At the latest once you get Max Getz and give him a railroad hammer. Managing the shelter also got way too easy way too quickly for me. 5000+ morale 'n shit, tons of food, 150+ gallons of fuel,... finally just got too boring to play.

Last edited:

ST'Ranger

Augur
AoD has cost me $13.15 per hour, Skyrim has cost me $0.07. Goes to show what the Codex knows about getting value for your money.

Projection Intensifies.

No, really, you're going to leave permanent shadows upon the walls if you keep projecting at such a magnitude.

You, yourself, personally have spent little time playing a non-popamole game and a great deal of time playing a popamole game. Therefore, everyone that likes non-popamole games got bad value out of buying them. Steel-bending logic. I think you've stumbled upon your superpower.

I won't go deeply into the fallacy of assuming that all entertainment has equal time value or the related fallacy that assumes the maximization of entertainment is the minimization of cost per hour of said entertainment.

Multi-headed Cow

Damn. Going off the deep end because some people don't like (And want to voice their displeasure about) your game is never a good idea. Didn't see what the dude's complaints were obviously, but I've played enough of the game to know that there's enough in there to have some legitimate reasons to not like it if you don't want to put up with any of the game's shit. And even for someone who mostly likes it like I do I find I'm running into the same situation you said you did. Too well equipped where I don't even want to play and grind areas out because generally speaking they won't be difficult and it's mostly just soaking up resources until and ending comes along. At this point I don't even have a major goal. Most interesting thing was having the bandits show up and then they were dead the next day.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Writing a negative review equals harassment in Anne's eyes now.
Everything gets flak, be it a good or bad game. Deal with it.

Multi-headed Cow

Took a glance at Steam reviews. This is the wanting an apology for bugs review. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198064344001/recommended/239840/

Which doesn't seem particularly nasty trorr or horrible harassment. Dude even says he likes the game, he's just giving them a ration of shit for releasing a buggy game after both a Kickstarter and selling it as early access on Steam. Says he apparently got banned on their forum because of it. The fact that the review is still up tells me that maybe Valve (Fucking finally) changed their mind and made it so the developer/publisher for games can't moderate their own reviews any more.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
At this point I don't even have a major goal.

Yeah! For a while, just trying to survive, scavenge enough supplies and keep everybody happy is an awesome 'goal'. But once you're done with that, once everybody's pretty much in a state of perpetual nirvana and you've got a month's worth of food and gas stocked up, the game just stops being fun.:S SURVIVING is a major fucking objective and I saw nothing of 'equal weight' replace that in my game. Just had people sending me on various bullshit errands. Maybe I missed an endgame-critical location or something, dunno.:S

Angthoron

Arcane

I never thought my reserves of being strong were inexhaustible by any means, but like, I never knew HOW exhausted they could be. I’m spent into a DEFICIT.

It’s the point where one wants to look for some kind of help from some benevolent soul with a lot of clout to just - one kind word. Well, one PUBLIC kind word. A pat on the shoulder in private doesn’t do much if it can’t save the things (and ultimately people) that I care about.

And that one person could do so much harm - one fucker who thinks we one him an apology for BUGS being in a GAME! And who is willing to try and burn down the reputation of my company because we don’t want to respond to his hijack and his harassment - it’s staggering. What the fuck. What possible reason could a $30 purchase warrant that is like “fuck these people and their not bending over backwards to publically flog themselves because I asked them to, TIME TO TRY AND RUIN THEIR COMPANY.” Is it that negativity is really that strong?

(HA, and at a leading question, Tumblr automatically pops up an “Let people answer this” box. No thanks, Tumblr. I don’t think I really want to know)

I don’t need 10s. Or A+ or green or whatever passes for high marks. I know how hard we worked and I know the flaws and I know what we can (and will fix) and what we can’t. I would just settle for people not acting like we’re some kind of ENEMIES of theirs. That would be swell.

And while I’m asking for impossible things, a positive Tweet from Notch would be fucking STELLAR.

What's this about then?:D

EDIT: Also I would advise anyone against actually reading that blog past this particular post.:D

Always so nice when a dickbag you banned from your forums for being a dickbag writes a Steam review to try and destroy your game. Joy.

At what point did we tell any consumer ever it is super okay to threaten any creator if their wishes are not EXACTLY catered to?

I mean, did that HAPPEN and I just didn't get told? Or are we sort of just all fine with letting trolls control everything now? No? Yes?

Yikes!:)

I mean, shit, obviously it's gotta suck seeing anyone shitting on your game, but why go nuts like this, publicly 'n shit?:S Seems really silly. Seems even sillier than her husband raging against fucking piracy.:S

So yeah, bit surprised 'shutting up' hasn't crossed her mind yet.:S Especially since she's so desperate to sell this game.

Really enjoyed the game a lot though, for a long while. Put in around 70,80 hours actually into a single (unfinished) playthrough. I was more or less able to ignore all the various bugs and glitches, but like others have said, the difficulty zombie-wise drops off way too quickly.:S At the latest once you get Max Getz and give him a railroad hammer. Managing the shelter also got way too easy way too quickly for me.:S 5000+ morale 'n shit, tons of food, 150+ gallons of fuel,... finally just got too boring to play.:S
Wow, it's as if these people just saw the Internet for the first time and never posted on Codex.

I'm actually starting to suspect that they're doing the "manipulate the gullible" thing, which's really stupid considering what their default fanbase is. I mean, shit, these are people that worked on a lot of games, including MMOs, there's no fucking way they don't know how people behave, what people tend to post, and how the general over-reaction trends on the net tend to work. Yeah, you banned the guy on your forum? Good job, too bad there's a hundred other forums, Metacritic and Steam Reviews. Got someone going after you raging about bugs? Yeah, how about actually apologizing? Does it cost a lot? Will aliens descend from the skies and probe you if you admit being less than stellar? I really don't get this shit. This is like "Noob dev from 2005 with a AAA publisher" mixed with "Noob dev from Kickstarter with a Twitter and Tumblr account" made a brain child and this is pretty much what popped out. Except neither is actually a noob dev as far as I know, so what the hell.

I get it, shit can be frustrating, but it's like they've hit every wrong note so far. When Swen posted his stuff about Divinity 2 woes, I felt sympathy, when this duo posts stuff about Dead State troubles, I feel annoyance. Don't annoy your user base, ffs!

Leaving aside the bugs and awful balance, which are ordinary for indie devs, the problem with the release is that the game had (and still has I think) numerous buggy or incomplete questlines that they simply must have known about before release. I don't think any of the rival groups questlines and events (coyotes and the like) work properly.

Coyotes worked fine for me (really loving the game, actually) - I suspect that part might break if you've already stumbled across the Coyotes HQ and managed to kill him early (they've tried to 'soft' gate it by making it sufficiently far away that you're unlikely to get there in the a.m. unless you go directly there (as you would once Regina gives the location and tells you that half of them are asleep/hungover in the morning), so it's likely to be heavily guarded if you stumble over it by accident. Thing is, some players will still save-scum to push through it early (I did that with the mercenaries in Austin Outskirts, and I suspect that will break something later on, especially given what those guys are keeping up on the roof), lots will use spoilers to get there early and there's also players from the beta who know where it is and head straight over, turning a very unlikely occurrence into a common one.

I'm not at all surprised by the bugginess - I'm surprised it isn't worse. The scope of what the game tries to do is incredible, and I mean that in both a good and a bad way. They've tried to combine a fully open map, with no hard gates, with a time mechanic. I can't remember the last time a game of this kind attempted to use a proper time mechanic - I don't mean the superficial day/night cycles and wandering NPCs that are used to create the illusion of time, but to actually have the plot and all in-game events progress with the passage of time instead of the player's quest progression. And I can't think of any prior example of a game that attempted that with a fully open map (yes, Wiz 7, but that only affected which NPCs had the maps - it's still a traditional 'dungeon sits around waiting for the player to show up' game at heart). I strongly suspect that this is because most developers would view it as an utter nightmare to design. I'm not even sure that it's possible to prevent quests from breaking in a game where the player can travel anywhere on the map from the start, future quest bosses are already in the world and can be found/killed early (instead of spawning when the player is 'ready' for that quest), all friendly NPCs can be killed even if they're quest-givers later on, and game events progress with time. That's why developers close off player options - it's to keep the number of variables manageable, and because it's the only way you can stop the player from breaking the game by screwing with future quest NPCs (either you gate the player so they can't reach Marshall Streeter, or you make him unkillable until the player is 'supposed' to kill him).

It's the kind of design that seems awesome when you're inventing a game in your head, but you'd have to be utterly insane to try to implement it.

And I'm glad that there are still some developers who are incompetent enough to attempt it. I've got lots of 'sensible' games to play, and very few glorious failures. My tolerance for game-breaking bugs in this sort of game is probably much greater from having started on crpgs in the early 80s, when such bugs were relatively common even in major professional releases (in crpgs, that is). It was the flipside of all the innovation going on - the industry still had the attitude of trying to push the boundaries in order to make that 'cool game that you have in your head', instead of always making something they knew could work (as a comparison, arcades were the industry's flagship back then, and so those games had to work 100% of the time). Once home gaming took over from the arcades and blossomed in the 90s, they had to get serious about consumer protection law, and so they couldn't get away with releasing broken games anymore. Most folks' memories of pre-internet games not being massively bug-infested tend to come from that period. Overall, it's much much better that games work, than it was when you could sink 6 months of your childhood into a crpg, only to have your saves corrupted because some idiot developer 'just had to try this cool new idea' (and if I ever find the guy who thought it was a good idea to set the early models of C64 so that its default setting was to format any disk that was in the drive when the computer was turned on, I will fucking burn him alive...). But right now, I'm bored with games playing it safe, and I'm enjoying having a game innovate on mechanics, instead of treating mechanics as something there to hold up the graphics and pad the playing time.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
And that one person could do so much harm - one fucker who thinks we one him an apology for BUGS being in a GAME!
Bugs in a game should never be taken for granted. If you believe that you're doing it wrong, I don't care how many companies release buggy games.

Angthoron

Arcane
And that one person could do so much harm - one fucker who thinks we one him an apology for BUGS being in a GAME!
Bugs in a game should never be taken for granted. If you believe that you're doing it wrong, I don't care how many companies release buggy games.
Considering the shit that devs usually get for bugs across the industry, hell, considering Obsidian getting a bashing for "bugs" and not getting their fucking bonus because of Metacritic, you'd expect people that base their business around crowdfunding, word-of-mouth and social media to have a clue.

Ninjerk

Arcane

What's this about then?:D

EDIT: Also I would advise anyone against actually reading that blog past this particular post.:D

Yikes!:)

I mean, shit, obviously it's gotta suck seeing anyone shitting on your game, but why go nuts like this, publicly 'n shit?:S Seems really silly. Seems even sillier than her husband raging against fucking piracy.:S

Really enjoyed the game a lot though, for a long while. Put in around 70,80 hours actually into a single (unfinished) playthrough. I was more or less able to ignore all the various bugs and glitches, but like others have said, the difficulty zombie-wise drops off way too quickly.:S At the latest once you get Max Getz and give him a railroad hammer. Managing the shelter also got way too easy way too quickly for me.:S 5000+ morale 'n shit, tons of food, 150+ gallons of fuel,... finally just got too boring to play.:S
Wow, it's as if these people just saw the Internet for the first time and never posted on Codex.

I'm actually starting to suspect that they're doing the "manipulate the gullible" thing, which's really stupid considering what their default fanbase is. I mean, shit, these are people that worked on a lot of games, including MMOs, there's no fucking way they don't know how people behave, what people tend to post, and how the general over-reaction trends on the net tend to work. Yeah, you banned the guy on your forum? Good job, too bad there's a hundred other forums, Metacritic and Steam Reviews. Got someone going after you raging about bugs? Yeah, how about actually apologizing? Does it cost a lot? Will aliens descend from the skies and probe you if you admit being less than stellar? I really don't get this shit. This is like "Noob dev from 2005 with a AAA publisher" mixed with "Noob dev from Kickstarter with a Twitter and Tumblr account" made a brain child and this is pretty much what popped out. Except neither is actually a noob dev as far as I know, so what the hell.

I get it, shit can be frustrating, but it's like they've hit every wrong note so far. When Swen posted his stuff about Divinity 2 woes, I felt sympathy, when this duo posts stuff about Dead State troubles, I feel annoyance. Don't annoy your user base, ffs!
AAA devs have the spectre of getting canned if they act like a dumbfuck. Not so when you work for yourself. You just get to ruin your reputation.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I'm not at all surprised by the bugginess - I'm surprised it isn't worse. The scope of what the game tries to do is incredible, and I mean that in both a good and a bad way. They've tried to combine a fully open map, with no hard gates, with a time mechanic. I can't remember the last time a game of this kind attempted to use a proper time mechanic - I don't mean the superficial day/night cycles and wandering NPCs that are used to create the illusion of time, but to actually have the plot and all in-game events progress with the passage of time instead of the player's quest progression. And I can't think of any prior example of a game that attempted that with a fully open map (yes, Wiz 7, but that only affected which NPCs had the maps - it's still a traditional 'dungeon sits around waiting for the player to show up' game at heart). I strongly suspect that this is because most developers would view it as an utter nightmare to design. I'm not even sure that it's possible to prevent quests from breaking in a game where the player can travel anywhere on the map from the start, future quest bosses are already in the world and can be found/killed early (instead of spawning when the player is 'ready' for that quest), all friendly NPCs can be killed even if they're quest-givers later on, and game events progress with time. That's why developers close off player options - it's to keep the number of variables manageable, and because it's the only way you can stop the player from breaking the game by screwing with future quest NPCs (either you gate the player so they can't reach Marshall Streeter, or you make him unkillable until the player is 'supposed' to kill him).

It's the kind of design that seems awesome when you're inventing a game in your head, but you'd have to be utterly insane to try to implement it.

Not necessarily insane, it just takes forward planning. For instance, when an essential NPC quest giver is killed by the player, you could spawn a randomly generated NPC that gives the same quest.

Angthoron

Arcane
AAA devs have the spectre of getting canned if they act like a dumbfuck. Not so when you work for yourself. You just get to ruin your reputation.
Well, yeah. That's why I specifically mentioned 2005, because I seem to recall this was the time when blaming everything on piracy was a fantastic idea, every dev given a voice was bawwing about filthy pirates.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

In the past they were protected from self harm by publishers, bosses and PR people. Swen and Fargo would say the same things at home I'm sure, but they are smart enough to smile in public.

circ

Arcane
It's like Brianna Wu is giving courses on how to deflect criticism.

A positive tweet from Notch of all people? LOLOLOL. The fuck is that? Maybe fix apparently gamebreaking bugs first?

Angthoron

Arcane
:facepalm:

Well, on the other hand, I guesss I have more respect for Annie than for most SJWs, because her political stance directly affects her livelihood, so I guess yay activism?

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted

Well, on the other hand, I guesss I have more respect for Annie than for most SJWs, because her political stance directly affects her livelihood, so I guess yay activism?

How does it affect her livelihood? (I honestly don't know)

Angthoron

Arcane

How does it affect her livelihood? (I honestly don't know)
The anti-SJW people won't buy her game and advocate against it, even if they were actually more close to the target audience than, ironically, the people she sides with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom