Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, I managed to dig myself out of the pre-patch massive morale deficit I ended up in from killing those looters. My lowest was something like -400 morale and I'm currently around 500 morale and climbing, even with an absolute assload of people in the shelter and having two people die since I'm only savescumming if the PC dies and I get game over from it.

Zombie attacks and fence repair kinda seem like no big deal. They'll probably pick up later but currently with a wooden fence and 4 people on guard duty the biggest attack the fence has had did something like 2 points out of 150.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I was going pretty well, but I suspect I may have fucked up royally with Craig and his wife. He wanted me to promise to not send his wife out in the field, I used negotiate to give his wife a week off in exchange for reduced rations. Basically it counts as having the entire shelter on rations and give mood decreases to everyone in the shelter everyday as well as a minus 50 penalty to morale daily, I suspect it will show the seeds of failure as people start to leave, hopefully I'll be able to undo the damage once the week is up.

oscar

Arcane
Ration cutting as a punishment is bugged and counts for morale purposes as if you've introduced rationing to the whole shelter.

Visperas

Augur
So, what my next game should be Dead State or Neo Scavenger? Is Dead State patched enough?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, what my next game should be Dead State or Neo Scavenger? Is Dead State patched enough?
Dead State is totally playable if you don't mind a few glitches like running animations not working occasionally and loss of framerate on densely packed maps. Also there is a new patch being released today that will fix a bunch of stuff.

Perkel

Arcane
decided to stop playing DS for now. Gotta wait for obvious patches. Gotta want to play best version possible.

agris

Arcane
Patron
This is the changelog from the upcoming patch:

• Added autosaving feature.
  • Added feature to upload your own image in character creation.
  • Adjusted duration of status effects and fixed status lock issue.
  • Provided additional info for melee weapons, ranged weapons, and armor on inventory screen.
  • Further improved build stability and resolved rare crash cases.
  • Fixed issue with landmines causing errors with saved games.
  • Adjusted dialogues and dialogue triggers in multiple maps.
  • Polished some levels and building models.
  • Adjusted loot distribution and balance.
  • Clarified text on some perks and items.
  • Optimized pathfinding to interactable objects.
  • Updated blocking in some areas.
  • Addressed cases of shelter activity not correctly appearing in the field.
  • Set flare gun ammo cap to six shots as per original design.
  • Adjusted “Be It Ever So Humble” Achievement to account for the correct number of upgrades.
  • Adjusted Elaine’s perk to correctly affect her Melee skill instead of her Medical skill.
  • Balanced some weapon attacks and stats.
  • Balanced armor stats.
  • Expanded size of ‘gather party’ zones in multi-level areas.
  • Updated data system to properly access the last data item.
  • Updated job board to properly allow repair tasks in all cases, apply ally skill bonuses on tasks, and reveal car after repair.
  • Updated ally reactions to killing neutral characters.
  • Adjusted the rationing penalty on the DRS to only occur in cases of Shelter-wide rationing.
  • Adjusted noise dampening among floors in multi-floor buildings to improve combat.
  • Adjusted loot balance on City locations.
  • Updated combat AP costs so that switching from Inventory to Character screen is a free action.
  • Addressed cases of Lightning showing incorrect breed portrait.
  • Polished multiple GUI displays more multiple resolutions

GloomFrost

Arcane
This is the changelog from the upcoming patch:

• Added autosaving feature.
  • Added feature to upload your own image in character creation.
  • Adjusted duration of status effects and fixed status lock issue.
  • Provided additional info for melee weapons, ranged weapons, and armor on inventory screen.
  • Further improved build stability and resolved rare crash cases.
  • Fixed issue with landmines causing errors with saved games.
  • Adjusted dialogues and dialogue triggers in multiple maps.
  • Polished some levels and building models.
  • Adjusted loot distribution and balance.
  • Clarified text on some perks and items.
  • Optimized pathfinding to interactable objects.
  • Updated blocking in some areas.
  • Addressed cases of shelter activity not correctly appearing in the field.
  • Set flare gun ammo cap to six shots as per original design.
  • Adjusted “Be It Ever So Humble” Achievement to account for the correct number of upgrades.
  • Adjusted Elaine’s perk to correctly affect her Melee skill instead of her Medical skill.
  • Balanced some weapon attacks and stats.
  • Balanced armor stats.
  • Expanded size of ‘gather party’ zones in multi-level areas.
  • Updated data system to properly access the last data item.
  • Updated job board to properly allow repair tasks in all cases, apply ally skill bonuses on tasks, and reveal car after repair.
  • Updated ally reactions to killing neutral characters.
  • Adjusted the rationing penalty on the DRS to only occur in cases of Shelter-wide rationing.
  • Adjusted noise dampening among floors in multi-floor buildings to improve combat.
  • Adjusted loot balance on City locations.
  • Updated combat AP costs so that switching from Inventory to Character screen is a free action.
  • Addressed cases of Lightning showing incorrect breed portrait.
  • Polished multiple GUI displays more multiple resolutions

Now that's more like it. Please tell me that you DO NOT need to start a new game for changes to take affect.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I don't know, but I would expect map-specific changes to only take affect if you haven't visited the map yet, while script changes will update in the middle of a quest as long as you haven't passed the specific script point.

SniperHF

Arcane
Patch is live.

The weapon information screens are MUCH better.

Last edited:

kain30

Cipher
i´ve just finished it after 86 gameplay hours. i have to say that despite some bugs and some minor quests broken i love this game :)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
floor above the floor that has a blocked staircase door when you get to it from below has an unreachable laptop and a locked but unlockable door. it's the floor where mercs aren't clustered in one group and there are two standing stupidly around some sort of lobby with potted tree and two tables:
View attachment 4197
same floor, unreachable smartphone:
View attachment 4198
Elhoim door fixed, but behind it is a bedroom door that doesn't unblock.

Multi-headed Cow

What builds you you all use for your main character?
Max hitting people, then bump leadership and negotiation until I realized it seems like all the good stuff for dialog's in negotiation so I leaned on that.

Original intention was to be a big asshole and as much of a raider as possible, but Dead State doesn't really encourage and only barely allows that. Both because of big morale penalties for killing neutrals (Possibly less now, haven't gone a-murderin' since that patch) and because there are so damn few friendly people for the player to raid. In my 30ish hours played thus far I've only seen a few neutral camps (They tell you to fuck off but you can kill them) and only one genuinely friendly camp. Everyone else is a rapist/cannibal/cannibalrapist. A fair number of the NPCs you can recruit you've got the option to kill or try to rob, but due to the mechanics of the game having another body back at your camp is more useful than 2 bullets and a jar of peanut butter off a corpse.

So yeah. In the end I just ended up being a melee guy and taking the talking skills since they seem useful. In hindsight I probably would've leaned more heavily on ranged, since it's easier to limp along with one good melee dude and the rest being ok to weak than it is dragging melee dudes into a gunfight.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My guy is Negotiation/Science/Melee. Pretty fun.

If you want my recommendations for character creation - Strength is very important since having a high carry weight means more supplies salvaged per trip. Having a high Mechanical skill in the party at all times also really helps because you can pick locks instead of having to noisily bash doors down, yet it's not really worth it to assign an NPC party member just to pick locks, so it's good if your main PC can do it.

Last edited:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Original intention was to be a big asshole and as much of a raider as possible, but Dead State doesn't really encourage and only barely allows that. Both because of big morale penalties for killing neutrals (Possibly less now, haven't gone a-murderin' since that patch)

BTW, you can go alone or with some guys that don't care about attacking neutrals (Doug, Regina, Getz, Clifford, etc) and the penalty won't trigger.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whee, Brian made a post about piracy last week.
The issue with so many people that pirate is that they swear they'll buy the game if they like it, then they finish the game and never buy it or they wait until they can pick it up for less than $5. From a business standpoint, the money we make from sales right now determines what kind of projects we can make next. I will have to sit down with sales figures at some point in the future and figure out what we have made, not what we might make, and plan a game budget around it. We're going to be releasing a demo at some point, but right now we're focusing on bugfixes and other critical issues.

We've seen some pretty egregious pirating going on, not just torrents, but with sites that look like legitimate storefronts profiting off the game. For a small developer, we don't have the means to shut them all down. The amount of piracy has made it very hard to justify doing another RPG, single-player game, or game that doesn't require some kind of online authentication. Dead State took ~3 years of full-time development and any RPG we made next would need to have an even bigger team and at least 2+ years of funding. I realize that piracy doesn't necessarily translate into lost sales (and it didn't in your case), but it certainly isn't helping our morale to see people playing a game we spent years, weekends, long nights of our life making and getting no return on that. I don't want to demonize anyone who has pirated games, and I'm glad that some sales have occurred as a result, but it's not exactly an action without consequences and it does directly affect the kinds of games we can make in the future.

It's pretty obvious what I would say here so I'm just going to post
11975.jpg
instead.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
Whee, Brian made a post about piracy last week.
The issue with so many people that pirate is that they swear they'll buy the game if they like it, then they finish the game and never buy it or they wait until they can pick it up for less than $5. From a business standpoint, the money we make from sales right now determines what kind of projects we can make next. I will have to sit down with sales figures at some point in the future and figure out what we have made, not what we might make, and plan a game budget around it. We're going to be releasing a demo at some point, but right now we're focusing on bugfixes and other critical issues.

We've seen some pretty egregious pirating going on, not just torrents, but with sites that look like legitimate storefronts profiting off the game. For a small developer, we don't have the means to shut them all down. The amount of piracy has made it very hard to justify doing another RPG, single-player game, or game that doesn't require some kind of online authentication. Dead State took ~3 years of full-time development and any RPG we made next would need to have an even bigger team and at least 2+ years of funding. I realize that piracy doesn't necessarily translate into lost sales (and it didn't in your case), but it certainly isn't helping our morale to see people playing a game we spent years, weekends, long nights of our life making and getting no return on that. I don't want to demonize anyone who has pirated games, and I'm glad that some sales have occurred as a result, but it's not exactly an action without consequences and it does directly affect the kinds of games we can make in the future.

It's pretty obvious what I would say here so I'm just going to post
11975.jpg
instead.
So their next game will be a free2pay online mobile game made in under a week if I read this correctly? I'm even more glad I didn't buy Dead State now.
:M

Cassidy

Arcane
So their next game will be a free2pay online mobile game made in under a week if I read this correctly?

Either that or Depression Quest 2 with Denuvo DRM included and 10/10 GOTY reviews from all Gawker Media rags.

:dgaider:

Yet another developer to completely ignore from now on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom