Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

ColCol

Arcane
The reactor should be on the map...possibly far away and surrounded by high level threats. If you find it you can start the end game early. If not the end game will eventually trigger automatically.

Lhynn

Arcane
Noticed that now you dont get a surprise attack against zombies if you attack them from behind, in a way it makes it more challenging, but it also makes it so that zombies that dont notice you are the ones that give the most trouble, because you cant lure them to an ambush.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Noticed that now you dont get a surprise attack against zombies if you attack them from behind, in a way it makes it more challenging, but it also makes it so that zombies that dont notice you are the ones that give the most trouble, because you cant lure them to an ambush.
Haven't played in a while but wasnt the most effective way to deal with zombies to approach them frontal, keep them at seven tiles distance and then have them spend all their ap on walking into your triangle of death? Engaging from behind always resulted in them having the first attack, at least for me.

ColCol

Arcane
As a random thought Lloyd always seemed like he was a character who would fit more into the world of jagged Alliance than Dead State.

Lhynn

Arcane
Haven't played in a while but wasnt the most effective way to deal with zombies to approach them frontal, keep them at seven tiles distance and then have them spend all their ap on walking into your triangle of death? Engaging from behind always resulted in them having the first attack, at least for me.
on release you got a surprise attack on them, before combat started, usually meant you could kill most zombies with a single hit without ever entering combat, kinda like a puzzle, staying out of line of sight.

Mozg

Arcane
In the current version it's tactically optimal to bait them to waste their AP walking to you, but it has the meta problem of taking like 30 seconds for every other zombie on the map that isn't involved to pass its turn.

You can also get like 3-5 tiles away from directly behind them in realtime mode, then trigger combat and have a melee character walk up and kill them with a couple whacks of a good zombie-killing weapon and then IIRC combat mode automatically ends before any zombie gets a turn, saving probably 95% of the time baiting them takes. I'm not giving a range of tiles because it's variable, it's that I can't remember - however many tiles away you can get before triggering combat it's the same for every zombie.

Old One

Arcane
I had a lot more fun with the game once I stopped stealth killing the zombies one by one and started baiting them with noise. With a good ranged party you can mow down large groups quite effectively. Once that's finished you can take your time looting and you only have to worry about hidden specimens in locked rooms and that sort of thing.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
I had a lot more fun with the game once I stopped stealth killing the zombies one by one and started baiting them with noise. With a good ranged party you can mow down large groups quite effectively. Once that's finished you can take your time looting and you only have to worry about hidden specimens in locked rooms and that sort of thing.

do zombies stop coming if you kill enough of them?

i just always stealth killed them with axes and stuff and saved guns for fighting other humans

Old One

Arcane
do zombies stop coming if you kill enough of them?
Yes, with a few small caveats.

Lots of noise will make new zombies spawn at the edge of the screen, but there usually aren't too many of these. As long as you're aware that they can appear, you can usually handle them without a problem. Zombies that can't reach you for some reason (like if they're locked in a room and can't get out) will remain.

For locations like big hospitals with lots and lots of zombies inside, it's much safer to start blasting and let them all flood out toward you. In my last game I would get four good shooters with good ranged weapons in my party and form up in a line. I would start blasting and just keep it up until the whole horde was eradicated. Once you have some ARs and a sniper rifle or two, it's not that hard. You probably want several different firearms, like a sniper rifle, two ARs, and a .44 revolver. Use the correct gun depending on the range.

If there's a problem with this strategy it's mainly that loud noises don't carry far enough. You have to learn how far so you can you get all the indoor zombies to come outside. If they're out of range of the noise they won't move.

If you've never used mines, this tactic also creates a good opportunity to try them out.

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Can't wait until I reach this point. It's mostly about ammo now, hit chances look good. Meleeing your way through the undead hordes gets dull pretty quickly.

Doktor Best

Arcane
You guys know if there are more patches planned, maybe one that fixes the endgame trigger problem?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Is there a way to start the endgame other than waiting for it? I'm done with most locations/upgrades etc. but it's only day 47.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
That's a shame, I'd like to finish it. But I'm not going to wait for 40 days. Odd decision to tie game progress to that mechanic.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Always amazes me how fast some people play this game on their first playthrough; I probably did one location per day and ran out of things to do on the 67th day so my wait wasnt so bad
Still think the game needs a final patch to fix this, along with a couple of tweaks here and there....too bad othet than some entrerprising modder we wont get it

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's a shame, I'd like to finish it. But I'm not going to wait for 40 days. Odd decision to tie game progress to that mechanic.
It's not really that weird. A lot of games pride themselves on this kind of mechanic actually. "The world goes on without you! Quests don't wait! Things happen even if you aren't there!" and so on. The event that triggers the end game has nothing to do with you or the shelter, it's just something that happens at a certain time. Gameplay would be better if it happened earlier, but I don't have a problem with the structure of its occurrence.

Saduj

Arcane
The problem is that there isn't enough content to support having the deadline trigger as late as it does considering the game encourages the player to clear out locations as efficiently time wise as possible. Usually in an open world game I hate having a deadline that makes the player feel rushed in any way. But in this case it doesn't matter because the game mechanics already incent you to gather as much in one day as you possibly can.

Jazz_

Arcane
Wasn't Mitsoda the guy who wrote most of the cool as tits dialogues in Bloodlines? Why is the writing in DS so dull and generic? Even writing aside, the game seems to be bad at pretty much everything so far (even the soundtrack sounds like ass). Meh.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are something near 50 NPCS in Dead State that had to be written by two people. Brian had to write far fewer characters in Bloodlines. It's also a more mundane setting.

Atchodas

Augur
Wasn't Mitsoda the guy who wrote most of the cool as tits dialogues in Bloodlines? Why is the writing in DS so dull and generic? Even writing aside, the game seems to be bad at pretty much everything so far (even the soundtrack sounds like ass). Meh.
Well how to explain this better ... Dead State is simply bad game , yes it is TB cRPG with decent setting done by decent developers , and yet it is very bad game , it starts shit and becomes even worse as time goes , there is no reason to play Dead State , if you decide to do it , well dont expect it to magicaly turn into something better because it wont :/ there are plenty of better "new age crpgs" and if you want zombie survival game go for SOD which is also somewhat weak( not as bad as Dead State tho , much better ) but can be addictive considering you use some mods and play for passing time and having fun , not for finding meaning of life .

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
The best writing in the game was in the computer files you have to play some word scramble or something to read. I actually bothered to do it. It's probably a pastiche of recent zombie books with stuff like "4chan reacts to the zombie apocalypse" or "apocalypse-in-progress text message conversation" kinda shit but I don't read zombie books so it was new to me.

The intro part of the game is the worst writing, sadly enough. It combines "knocking out the PC so we can skip writing the actual fall of civilization" with some extremely tedious exposition where they have to explain to the PC that's he's in a standard zombie apocalypse oh no, it's like falling down a bad writing staircase.

cruelio

Savant
Everything about Dead State is a bunch of bad choices that could have been fine on their own but then collided together into an unforgivable bad choice apocalypse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom