Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mmm that looks like the friendly chick flick excuse to watch with the gf

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Consider me a heretic but i actually think in dead state, rtwp combat would have been superior. It would have been better at transfering the pressure of being swarmed by mindless limping zombies. Tactical turn based combat gives you time to think. In a zombie game, time to think should be a very rare luxury. And it would also implent the game world more properly as you would be in need to navigate more careful through the towns to avoid being pushed back into a dead end.

Also it would take a LOT of time consumption out of those countless trashmob encounters.

I said that a while back. Guys here are too much of turn-based drones to understand.

Instead, this conversation devolves into "zombies are a shit, overused enemy *waaaa*" or "everyone would know what to do in a zombie situation because 90% of the population are geniuses and genetic freaks."

A real-time game would've been a lot better.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I said that a while back. Guys here are too much of turn-based drones to understand.

Instead, this conversation devolves into "zombies are a shit, overused enemy *waaaa*" or "everyone would know what to do in a zombie situation because 90% of the population are geniuses and genetic freaks."

Exactly, it's impossible to create tension and the right environment for a zombie survival rpg if the combat is slow, turn based and with a low number of enemies.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it would have been interesting if they'd gone with the original plan of AI controls for CNPCs, with the player only controlling his one character. Obviously it would have meant even more sitting around, but personally I wouldn't mind that. It sure would have made things a lot more scary and uncertain, with a lot more CNPC deaths as fits the genre.

Legion

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I've got 218 fucking hours on this game. Never beat it. Got an itch to jump in again now and seems I'll be starting a new playthrough because I can't recall if I went with 'hardcore mode' the last time or not.:S Any way of quickly figuring that out? Whether your current game has 'hardcore mode' turned on or not?

Ah, fuck it. I'll just start all over again. And FAIL again!=( Got to day 51 the last time, think that was the furthest I ever got.

EDIT:
Replaying the game now on Hardcore and fuck, these first hours of the game really are FUN! The atmosphere is great as far as I'm concerned. Really hope this new 'hardcore mode' keeps the game fun throughout and that I can beat it this time. Fingers crossed!

Ah, yay for kkkodeks rekkords.

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
The game needs better turn-based combat, not real-time with pederasts.

I would double the range of missile weapons, significantly increase the range of sound travel (extended combat with guns should bring every single zombie on a whole map - the maps aren't that big), add kneeling and prone positions, add cover and obscuration factors like smoke, add weapon and armor degradation and breakage. I would add Silent Storm style destructible environments. I would add more types of critters to fight - wolves, bears, wild boars, at least. Add hunting for food. Add attacks on the shelter that actually require the player to fight instead of simple notifications. Add the ability to take prisoners. More shelter upgrades. More original sci-fi elements beyond the currently popular zombie infection thing.

I like Dead State. It could be even better though.

Lhynn

Arcane
Combat needs to be faster, that means higher damage on both ends, it needs to be lethal even with the best armor.
It also needs to happen much less often. Exploration and skillchecks should be what the game is about, fighting zombies or even other humans should happen rarely and generally mean a loss of resources unless theres a purpose behind it.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I like Dead State. It could be even better though.
That is the sad part, a little more time for development, a well done DLC or a Director Cut would have done wonders for this game but now we will never know
Perhaps the game could be modded or something; the game is fine as it is and still fun but it just screams for more development time and maybe a proper sequel

Telengard

Arcane
Consider me a heretic but i actually think in dead state, rtwp combat would have been superior. It would have been better at transfering the pressure of being swarmed by mindless limping zombies. Tactical turn based combat gives you time to think. In a zombie game, time to think should be a very rare luxury. And it would also implent the game world more properly as you would be in need to navigate more careful through the towns to avoid being pushed back into a dead end.

Also it would take a LOT of time consumption out of those countless trashmob encounters.

There's like a billion real-time overhead zombie fests. And they all suck.

Why? Because it's only natural as the new-shiz zombies can't actually do anything. They are no faster than humans, no stronger than humans, and they're way way dumber, to the point where they can't even organize. They have no natural weapons, and they can't use tools. So, what can they do? Run at you and bite you with a non-carnivorous jaw? Yay, so great! And spread some disease if they get a hit.

Now, if you're going up against zombies and you're dumb enough not to wear even leather or wooden armor and not to use tools and organization (you know, the advantages of humans), then yes, rabid rats humans are a threat. But as a people, we actually learned how to deal with rabies long, long ago.

Which is why all the poplar zombie games are actually "zombie" games not zombie games, and the real enemies are never zombies at all, but some sort of special zombie morph monster thing. That, preferably mixed with limited camera (such as first person) to attack your peripheral vision.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The 28 days or the War Z zombies would make a great zombie game or even the evolved resident evil zombie varieties

Old One

Arcane
I do like how making noise in Dead State causes more zombies to spawn and run toward the source. That's pretty good, but I would ramp it up by adding a random chance to attract big packs. One or two at a time isn't much threat unless you don't notice them. If you got 10-15 suddenly spawning at an exit grid, it would be a lot more intense.

Ah, the famous carnivorous wild boar packs of central Texas.
There are wild boars in Texas and they're quite large and dangerous. FWIW.

http://texaswildhoghunting.com/

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do like how making noise in Dead State causes more zombies to spawn and run toward the source. That's pretty good, but I would ramp it up by adding a random chance to attract big packs. One or two at a time isn't much threat unless you don't notice them. If you got 10-15 suddenly spawning at an exit grid, it would be a lot more intense.

Ah, the famous carnivorous wild boar packs of central Texas.

That's a hell of a Gothic 3 vibe men.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Spawns through that noise mechanic depend on the area you are in. Try shooting your way in or out of one of the other shelters. Fun times. Can't remember if it scales though or if there are just those 2 cases, spawns in those 3 shelter areas and spawns for other areas.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane

Why? Because it's only natural as the new-shiz zombies can't actually do anything. They are no faster than humans, no stronger than humans, and they're way way dumber, to the point where they can't even organize. They have no natural weapons, and they can't use tools. So, what can they do? Run at you and bite you with a non-carnivorous jaw? Yay, so great! And spread some disease if they get a hit.

Now, if you're going up against zombies and you're dumb enough not to wear even leather or wooden armor and not to use tools and organization (you know, the advantages of humans), then yes, rabid rats humans are a threat. But as a people, we actually learned how to deal with rabies long, long ago.

Which is why all the poplar zombie games are actually "zombie" games not zombie games, and the real enemies are never zombies at all, but some sort of special zombie morph monster thing. That, preferably mixed with limited camera (such as first person) to attack your peripheral vision.

Thats why i said rtwp. Zombies are threatening through their masses, pressing against the survivors, forcing them to backtrack because they cant shoot them down fast enough. They win if survivors lose oversight and start making mistakes out of time pressure. Turnbased combat neglects all that, because there will never be time pressure, and keeping oversight is a very easy thing to do. Turnbased combat is not chaotic enough to fit the zombie theme.

And just because there have been some bad real time zombie games doesnt mean it cannot be done the right way.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As I said before when talking about zombies in movies and tv shows, only way to make zombies any kind of a threat is to make humans show even less intelligence then the brain dead zombies. The 28 days, War Z or Walking Dead are the best modern examples of this.

Its pretty obvious from the start that the biggest threats are not zombies but different gangs, survivor groups and ex military units, not to mention conflicts between people under your command. This is done intentionally because Dead State is a game about survival but not from zombies but humanity itself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If zombies aren't a threat then how did they turn the world into an apocalypse? :smug:

Telengard

Arcane

Thats why i said rtwp. Zombies are threatening through their masses, pressing against the survivors, forcing them to backtrack because they cant shoot them down fast enough. They win if survivors lose oversight and start making mistakes out of time pressure. Turnbased combat neglects all that, because there will never be time pressure, and keeping oversight is a very easy thing to do. Turnbased combat is not chaotic enough to fit the zombie theme.

And just because there have been some bad real time zombie games doesnt mean it cannot be done the right way.
And that's why I said - right at the start - there's already like a billion real-time overhead zombie fests. Because it really does matter when there are that many, and not a one is any good. But even more than that, when they are not any good for the exact same reasons people are complaining about Dead State for. Just load up any of those rt zombie games and see how dull they all are. But look at why. Why are they all so boring when you are shooting zombies?

Because even in numbers and real-time, zombies are nothing. They're things which get murder/rape/hoboed in large numbers. Like rats (which they resemble in everything but size, including being gross and smelly).

This is all because, in the big picture, zombies are an existential threat, not a physical one. They are a psychological fear made manifest. And thus it is only insofar as they remain a fear and not a physical entity that they hold any kind of a threat. It is the fear of all of your friends and loved ones suddenly turning into zombies (and eventually you too!) that is the threat of zombies, and not the zombies themselves. And because that is the case, the only proper venue for the new-shiz zombie stories is storybook "games".

Old One

Arcane
Another thing...when you enter an area, nothing moves. As long as you don't disturb them, the zombies don't wander around. The looters and survivalists and rogue soldiers don't move around, or patrol, or anything. It's kind of sad. I'd like to see more critters wandering around combined with an increased emphasis on sneaking. It makes sense to have some form of stealth be part of the game since noise is already a part of it.

Just adding the risk of bumping into a wandering enemy would add some tension. It would be better than, "Okay, the looters are over in that area, so as long as I stay away from that area I can take whatever I want without a fight."

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't know about this (thanks for the link) so I checked it out ... apparently they are only dangerous when wounded and cornered, i.e. they don't roam around attacking people. (This is according to your source.) My 2 minutes of research indicates that the only people who get killed by boars are daredevil hunters who try to sneak up on them with a knife.

Turn-based combat against herbivores that try to run away from you doesn't sound like thrilling gameplay, and some sort of hunting minigame would be really inappropriate for this context. I guess you could make them crazy T-virus boars or something equally silly ... but again, that misses the whole point of revisiting the classic Romero-style apocalypse story. Even fighting bears and wolves would be pretty dumb. They could have just done the fast zombies, strong zombies, flying zombies bullshit if they wanted to vary enemy types, but they didn't - for a reason. Same reason you don't see James Bond fighting rabid bats even though he spends a lot of time in Jamaica.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If zombies aren't a threat then how did they turn the world into an apocalypse? :smug:

As I said in the post only by turning humans into retards can zombies be a threat. There is no logic in zombies defeating a modern army.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
As I said in the post only by turning humans into retards can zombies be a threat. There is no logic in zombies defeating a modern army.

Its a possibility if you account for widespread panic and total dissolution of social structures. Zombies can't defeat human race, but they can defeat human civilization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom