Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Agreed, there are far too many days in the game. Still the game does something right for me at least since i still play it regularly. Im in my new ironman-pc infected-hardcore pt now.

Combat isnt great but apparently entertaining enough for me. And in hardcore mode things are a bit more difficult, well at least from day 1 to 15 (ish) when morale is hard to control, plus your guys -even though your team is positioned 'perfect'- will occasionally take damage from undead (they aggro quickly and in at least 2 fights critted for 70+ damage). If you still have a small shelter crew (and no infirmary) this can become an issue. On day 25 my team assaulted the military outpost on the western edge of the map (only workshop weapon : silenced 9mm, mostly used on undead). Used 20 bandages and 3 adrenaline shots on this trip. So this is still fun, since you are not completely overpowered yet. The scene after a nasty grenade + assault rifle combo by the military:
4lrjg6.jpg

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
September Backer Rewards Update
Posted by DoubleBear Productions
Hi everyone!

This past month has been pretty busy for us at DoubleBear. At the end of August, we attended PAX Prime and PAX Dev where we hosted a few panels and connected with the gaming community. The panels DoubleBear participated in ranged from a postmortem of Dead State to discussing CRPGs to actually designing a dungeon with the panel audience! Check the end of this post if you want to listen to recordings of the CRPG panel or most of the Design a Dungeon panel. Thank you to anyone who attended one of our panels or chatted with us! It's always a pleasure, and we look forward to the next time!

Alright, so what's been going on at DoubleBear post-PAX? We've been hard at work getting our Kickstarter Rewards finalized! Early next week, our team will be sitting in a warehouse signing all of the books one by one, which is a big deal! It's one of the last steps left to prepare for package assembly and shipping. Based on the estimate from our fulfillment company, it sounds like we're on track to start getting these rewards out within a couple weeks. We're all super excited to get these out to you!

We'll keep this update brief, but rest assured that we'll keep you updated on the rewards status as we get closer to shipment time. If you have any questions in the meantime, make sure to pop over to our forums to get the quickest answers:
The Shelter - Dead State Forums

Links:
PAX Prime 2015 Panel: Classic RPGs Forever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-yl5diQv3Q(Thanks to Larian Studios for the upload)
PAX Prime 2015 Panel: Design a Dungeon https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNmn8zGk8oS_DjuaAbpEJMs4gTe11xFgK(Thanks to Andrew McBride for the upload)

Best wishes and happy scavenging,
The DoubleBear Team

Finally getting my Splendid Box: Deluxe Edition!!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sheesh, if it wasn't for the physical rewards they could be 6 months into their next RPG dev cycle already.

No offense mindx2 :P
I thought they gave up RPGs? Or was that just a comment on how 'meh' the game did, and not their plans for the future?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought they gave up RPGs? Or was that just a comment on how 'meh' the game did, and not their plans for the future?
Something to the effect that doing RPGs is punishing and unrewarding, particularly so if you're not doing schlock fantasy. Yes, it did sound like they were abandoning RPGs. But as long as I'm dreaming, why not dream big?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fair enough. A pinch of optimism wouldn't hurt anybody. Unless you go full-on delusional and get mentally scarred from the pain of dealing with reality.

But, yeah, optimism is coo' bruh.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I have been playing a lot of Dead State in the last few days after solving a technical issue I've had with it before which kept me from playing.

I am liking it well enough so far but I think I have come to a rough spot or rather drove myself into a downward sprial through a bunch of bad decisions and blunders.

I am currently on Day 20 and pretty well stocked on food, fuel and stuff. I just built the garage and found some horses and got okay gear so I'd be all set, however, my guys in the shelter are getting pretty unhappy with me. For one thing the generator broke and I initially just missed repairing it (I know, major fuck up). Meanwhile, I got pretty paranoid about my food supply cause there are more and more people in my shelter and I wasn't sure I could keep them all fed, so I told Davis to limit rations for everybody. That gave me a pretty big hit on morale and led to a crisis in which some kind of douchbag priest I let into the shelter and has influence over almost everybody there wanted me to actually hold a feast. I told him to GTFO but ever since almost everybody in my shelter is super unhappy. Taking big hits to morale every day. I have been giving out several little gifts but its not helping and I am not sure what to do.

What happens if morale in the shelter gets too low? People leaving? How can I make these people happy again? Cause giving them gifts isn't working or at least not to a degree that it could save my ass at this point. Any suggestions?

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
So, I have been playing a lot of Dead State in the last few days after solving a technical issue I've had with it before which kept me from playing.

I am liking it well enough so far but I think I have come to a rough spot or rather drove myself into a downward sprial through a bunch of bad decisions and blunders.

I am currently on Day 20 and pretty well stocked on food, fuel and stuff. I just built the garage and found some horses and got okay gear so I'd be all set, however, my guys in the shelter are getting pretty unhappy with me. For one thing the generator broke and I initially just missed repairing it (I know, major fuck up). Meanwhile, I got pretty paranoid about my food supply cause there are more and more people in my shelter and I wasn't sure I could keep them all fed, so I told Davis to limit rations for everybody. That gave me a pretty big hit on morale and led to a crisis in which some kind of douchbag priest I let into the shelter and has influence over almost everybody there wanted me to actually hold a feast. I told him to GTFO but ever since almost everybody in my shelter is super unhappy. Taking big hits to morale every day. I have been giving out several little gifts but its not helping and I am not sure what to do.

What happens if morale in the shelter gets too low? People leaving? How can I make these people happy again? Cause giving them gifts isn't working or at least not to a degree that it could save my ass at this point. Any suggestions?

The gifts should help but if they are 'disgruntled' or whatever the term is it will probably take quite a few gifts. The 'morale is plummetting, lets have a party' crisis event was a good opportunity to get a morale boost btw, but you already had that presumably. And Todd is a dipshit but he actually creates a morale bonus by just being present (and doing nada but consuming resources since he has no skills). You could kill him or leave him for the undead somewhere. Probably not good for shelter morale so not really an option right now. Also a rec room can help i guess, just put your guys on the recreation "job". Plus of course getting lots of luxuries.

Missed opportunity btw, its not really an option to play an evil shelter lord , you are forced to play nice most of the time.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Keep playing; there is a low morale ending. I won't spoil it, but suffice to say the game doesn't devolve into an impossible spiral where you can't do anything. Fuck up bad enough and you get the dignity of a game over at least!

Of course, I hope you can fight your way out of it :)

As for suggestions, other than gift giving and PhantasmaNL's other advice, I'd recommend getting all the xp you can and pumping social skills; there are some Perks that give really nice morale bonuses. Not sure if it will be enough but it might help. Solving anagrams to unlock story content is a nice source of xp that's easy to neglect.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The little disks you find give you XP when you crack the code?

Yeah, I'll definitely keep playing and try to turn things around. Will report back in how it went in a few days most likely.

Seaking4

Learned
I guess I was more bored that I thought because I ended up finishing after having to restart. I just rested every day right as they started for the last 10 days or so just because I had such a stockpile of goods and there was no places left to loot.

It was a fun game. Some complaints but definitely worth playing. Although maybe not finishing because the ending is lacklustre and there isn't much to do at a certain point.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Alright, I tried to turn things around, gifted everybody as many items as I could find and after building the recycler I was able to quickly build a ton of upgrades. Stocked up on food and fuel without end, with a thick fence and a watchtower and my very own garden which produced regular fresh food, I could afford to send most of my people to relax all day in our brand new relaxation center. Just when I prepared to take on the Coyotes and saw morale slowly climbing up again..

..I got shot in the head by Davis. I guess my crew will now enjoy all the wonderful luxuries and security I gave them without me.. Fuck these assholes, everything was going so well.

I guess I am alright with that. I hear the game gets kinda boring somewhere between 30-50 days and I can understand why, combat isn't really fun and the stuff to explore becomes a bit samey after a while so maybe I should be glad it ended before it got lame? Up until now however, I had quite a bit of fun with the game. Since I fucked up early things got quite tense, with me constantly being under a lot of pressure to find good stuff, so that looting became kinda addictive and getting the statistics at the end of every day a nice motivation. Also, as I did not get too far into the game, there were always interesting events happening to deal with each new day:

I enjoyed all these little stories around the people in the shelter, like Vic trying to find other policemen but they all gone rogue; the couple with the pregnant woman thinking about abortion; Anita reacting crazy mad that I got her daughter infected despite her asking me not to take her on scavenging parties and so on..

So I got my fair share of entertainment out of this. Shame it got cut off prematurely but on the other hand I don't see myself playing this until day 80 or even restarting anytime soon for that matter.

I guess I will have to accept my game over. So.. would anyone be so kind and tell me how everything ends? Any cool story I missed out on?

Last edited:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
Did the Austin levels as soon as possible (around day 30, first went to the old army base for some goodies). On hardcore these fights were fairly interesting, some of these mercenaries had no trouble eating 3 combat shotgun blasts from close range and then doing a grenade - assault rifle combo in their turn. Even in decent gear they can hurt you badly (about 40 to 60 per normal ranged hit, advanced tac vest was the highest tier we had, from the old army base). Most trouble (still) was with the map. In one battle i was confined to 4 squares behind a door at the stairs, some mercenaries occupied 4 squares right after the door, so nowhere to move and fighting consisted of switching places and doing 1 attack. Also we were apparently a pretty attractive grenade target. I think i read somewhere they changed some of the maps there (or the transitions) i just cant remember what exactly. And the reanimated versions still has problems with the stairs and doors . The actual boss fight in Austin was much easier than those fights on the stairs.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got this a couple of months ago in a Gog sale and decided to try out in my new laptop to see if it would run abd so far it is fun, the colors are a bit too drab and the item management between party members is frustrating but all in all it is damn decent and very Walking Dead vibe. Like the fact that the infection here can be treated and very recommendle for survival horror fans

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Finally finished the game yesterday in honor of AoD. I really liked the early gameplay with the limited amount of survivors and tight resource management (at least on the hardest difficulty), but eventually all the fun got swallowed up by a mass of bloat. 43 survivors, most of them just standing around all day with no job, 6300 shelter morale, 3000 rations, over a thousand gallons of fuel, enough antibiotics to last me three years, and hundreds of luxury items I had to manually distribute to battle the constant mood drain. After day 50, I just went fishing every day. The cherry on top was when the regular survivor conversations stopped occurring around day 70 or so, because I'd simply run out of all content except for the finale. At that point I just went straight to bed every morning until I could trigger the ending and suffered no ill effects.

Did the devs ever do a post-mortem to explain why this massively screwed up pacing has persisted throughout all the patches and the Reanimated edition? Some of the endings might not be possible if you choose them on day 30, but the "let's get on a bus and drive the hell out of here" ending becomes eminently plausible right after the first few weeks.

Ivan

Arcane
I'm in the same boat, day 54 I think and I have nothing else to do. I think I'll just do what you did and sleep every day until the ending triggers. Which Day is that?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70755535/dead-state-the-zombie-survival-rpg/posts/1395659

Rewards Have Shipped!

Hello Dead State Backers! Kickstarter physical rewards are on the way! Some of you may have already received them in the last day or so. It’s been a long process, but we think you’re going to be quite happy with the final products. Over the last few months, we’ve had to evaluate prototypes, make final calls on specs, figure out fulfillment details with our supplier, and much more - thank you for your patience!

In related news, we’ll be doing a team stream of Dead State on our Twitch channel at 12 PDT on Friday. Several devs will be in attendance answering your questions about Dead State and possibly dipping into the Halloween candy or pumpkin-based beverages. Come watch us get the Splendid gang get killed one more time. Our channel can be found here:http://www.twitch.tv/doublebear_productions

(Oh, and if any of you dress up as a character from Dead State for Halloween or a con, oh yeah, the team would love to see that. )

In the meantime, check your mailboxes, front/back doors, bushes near your porches, that big stack of mail on the counter, and wherever you get your packages sent to, because those rewards are out there!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I imagine they feel so relieved that they can finally put this behind them forever and move on to a nice, small scope Indie thing.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Still need to pick this one up at some point. I was looking forward to this when It was announced but didn't back it at the time as I missed the kick starter for some weird reason.

Eh. It could have been so much more. Has some great ideas and moments, but it certainly didn't make me want to run out and buy another crpg made by the Mitsodas.

Also left little doubt in my mind that Brian would indeed have as much trouble with Dorn's Deep as some have suggested. The man clearly cannot into good/remotely complex combat design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom