Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Morkar Left

So is the "problem" that aluminum is an upgrade? Or is it that it's not an upgrade? Or is this an elaborate troll to show that the game is actually damn good because this total non-issue is the worst thing you can complain about?

I'm pretty sure Roguey has aspergers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So is the "problem" that aluminum is an upgrade? Or is it that it's not an upgrade? Or is this an elaborate troll to show that the game is actually damn good because this total non-issue is the worst thing you can complain about?
As Gozma said, the only thing I cared about with regard to the bats was the erroneous description. If you're going to say it's lighter, it better actually be lighter. Though according to the Dead State wiki, this used to be true since at one point wooden bats weighed 4 lbs, which is a hilariously heavy weight for a bat. They corrected this issue and assumingly forgot to adjust the aluminum weight as well.

The worst thing I have to complain about is that I've been doing the same thing every day for nine days now and in order to potentially have more fun I would have to play a character type I don't want to, that is, someone who attacks other human beings who are stealing things to survive like I am. Additionally, at the current rate of locations per day, I'd have likely visited most of them within 40 or so days, which would result in a particularly tedious additional 40 days of waking up, going to the job board and going to bed.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Additionally, at the current rate of locations per day, I'd have likely visited most of them within 40 or so days, which would result in a particularly tedious additional 40 days of waking up, going to the job board and going to bed.

With the radio upgrade you can relay the day's orders from your bedroom. Saves a lot of time in the late game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The visual of someone waking up, giving orders via radio while refusing to ever leave their room, then going back to bed is the zombie comedy we deserve.

Atchodas

Augur
Could not get into Dead State , because :
UI Sux , Cant even set keyboard controls (how is this even...), Have to click miniature text to reload/switch weapon , early game is annoying , shit like i have to go to sleep on the first day to fix the fence meanwhile its only midday etc just because job board havent spawned yet and other limitations like this that breaks my imershun of zombie survival :/
State of decay was better zombie game by miles even if its shitty gta style sandbox and not bellowed isometric cRPG , will try Dead State in a month or so with different expectations . Also Hardcore wasnt that hardcore , and Iron Man is some extra annoying save station implementation , why :/
Edit : also forgot to mention that - progression system is like the worst , i get 10 antibiotics so i can now increase my Ranged skill sure , needs some classic exp mod or something ;/

Gozma

Arcane
The visual of someone waking up, giving orders via radio while refusing to ever leave their room, then going back to bed is the zombie comedy we deserve.

Alternately you can go on post-apocalyptic horseriding fishing trips with Nathan, Troy, and Priscilla and everyone's survival is so high there is zero chance you will have to deal with any random encounters. They actually catch enough fish to keep the whole shelter fed in perpetuity. I got that, "Well... I've solved everything. Anthony Bourdain, cook me some fish" feeling that makes me quit a game of UnReal World when it has become a vacation simulator.

Cassidy

Arcane
Progression in a game depending purely on time elapsed rather than reaching specific locations or doing something specific is a fundamentally bad idea.

Gozma

Arcane
I think it's fine if it's supposed to be an open ended thing, say like Pirates!, but in that case you should have a retirement mechanism like Pirates! does.

DS has the problem where it starts feeling like an open ended Pirates! or typical survival game where you've reached a stopping point... then some time later (potentially a very long time) an event completely outside the player's control triggers an endgame. They should at least have had a "false retirement" when you've gotten the shelter self-sufficient and killed everyone you don't like that just fast forwards to the forced endgame.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm kinda pissed that
Karen wants an abortion atm. This is the apocalypse, woman, we need new offspring, and the whole shelter will raise it like a family yadayadayada. Stahp with the crazy and bear the fucking child! :argh:
... Shit, I didn't invest one more point in negotiation so I can tell her any of this, seems I have to either support that cunt or create even more drama. :negative:
Congrats, game, this is the first time I'm upset about a pro-abortionist. Normally I support that mindset, but not in the apocalypse.

minor criticism:
I wish there were more keyboard shortcuts, especially for browsing the job board.
I also wish the AI was less retarded. If a zombie chose someone to attack and can't move there because the path is blocked by someone else from my party, it just stands around confused. This doesn't always happen though, weird. Another thing that happened to me was that I had to reload after making too much noise in a basement (meaning kill the game process and restart it, knowing that it didn't autosave directly after the fight) . Was the way upstairs blocked by zombies that were attracted by the noise or what? Just couldn't use the stairs anymore because "the way is blocked"...
There's too much food to find while scavenging. The game starts to get too easy even with all three hardcore options checked. Story still is interesting though (I love the data items btw) and fights against big zombie hordes (I started to use firecrackers to lure them out) and human enemies are fun. But resource management is too easy and there are not that many upgrades left to build (day 23).
Still, fun game thus far. 43 hours well spent.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Elhoim Zombra @anyone who knows:

I'm a bit confused atm. So I built that recreation room and I put Elaine in there because her mood is still just okay and I wanna make that sad face of hers go away (yeah I know, won't happen). The description says "allows weary allies to relax, cures depression and generates +1 morale".
Since I understand the mechanics, at least I though I did until now, I put Elaine back to work because obviously this won't influence her mood (personal resource), but just the shelter morale (global resource). But then I googled because I don't understand the "cures depression" part and in Irontower forums I found this recently given answer here.
So does it give a mood bonus even if it doesn't say so in the description?

And is Melina really generating -1 mood for all allies per day?!
:rage:
Tell me it ain't so!

Or does he mean -1 mood for the infected ally per day? Would make more sense.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NotAGolfer
I don't know about the underlying mechanics; I just went by the in-game descriptions like you. What is the exact text for Melina? And I think that the Rec Room does give +mood to the person you stick in there. Just don't expect it to jump a category every day. Mood is a very smooth spectrum, by which I mean ... well ... if 80% on a test is a B and 90% is an A, then 89% is still a B, see what I mean? So if someone's mood is 80 and they get +1 for every day in the Rec Room, it will take them over a week to get to 90 and jump to the next category (say, from Okay to Content). I don't know what the actual numbers are since they are hidden from the player.

P.S. ♥ Elaine

Atchodas

Augur
i should researched more about Dead State before buying it , i never signed myself for being Shelter counselor talking about Abortions and managing people's morale and moods ( wtf who cares about your mood , apocalypse begun get your shit together or die .. ) , this feels like SIMS in post apo setting . was expecting some more serious and darker stuff .

Perkel

Arcane
There is just little to option to shot dead most of people.
All you can do is to play jesus or simply refuse to help.

I want to be fucking Kurtz for once...

Atchodas

Augur
Game focuses too much on Shelter Management which they could made better and more fitting post apocalyptic world and it would be great , but they decided to go with Facebook as inspiration for the shelter well ... then there is most retarded progression system for skill points etc , clearly your character doesnt get better at melee from killing zombies but he does better at it for collecting food and medicine ... i am not a nanny :( cant get into this

Atchodas

Augur
Doesnt it effect your game play in a bad way if you dont help these people i am sure it does , anyway its just not something i expected from this game .

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doesnt it effect your game play in a bad way if you dont help these people i am sure it does , anyway its just not something i expected from this game .
If you're mad because you don't like the dialogue options you chose because you assumed the game "wanted" you to, that's not the game's fault. :obviously:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
When I'm done with this playthrough I will definitely start over and play the rude, tough as nails, don't have time for your bullshit shelter dictator. I'm really curious where this will lead me.

Atchodas

Augur
If you're mad because you don't like the dialogue options you chose because you assumed the game "wanted" you to, that's not the game's fault. :obviously:
Nothing to be mad about :D , and i didnt assume game wants me something its clear you are supposed to solve these trashy social problems for some reason in a damn post apocalyptic game , such game play is not for me lol , seriously fuck biches who bich about abortion lol , UI is very bad and doesnt help with gameplay in general no configurable controls , and skill points that you get for bringing food ... seriously i dont like this type of character progression at all , SIMS Zombie edition .

Quigs

Magister
Picked up the game again, finally feel like I'm figuring out the way the game wants me to fight.

Head to the biker HQ. Fight for 45 minutes straight, during which, no saving is allowed. After clearing out the boss, his lackeys, and a half dozen or so mooks with guns in a challenging battle, the game freezes up. It seems that if you fight for long enough, the zombies will bug out and never take their turn. And since you can't save during a fight, I've got to start the entire thing over from scratch and hope I do as well as I did the first time.

I don't mind the occasional bug from a small dev team. Shit happens, and making a PC game is a lot of work. But if it's going to be a buggy game, at least let me save often.

I quite like the game but it is lacking very basic amenities in UI that haven't been issues since the goddamn 90s. Easily a 2/3 of my time with the game goes into managing allies and inventories. What the fuck kind of game gives you multiple allies but no keyboard key to select either one directly or a multi-select? And they were using a modified RTS version of Torque. What the fuck, DoubleBear? The game needs a major UI upgrade.

Also calling out the ridiculousness of real-time noncombat next to turn-based combat in a party game. A minor annoyance problem in most games with proper UI, but in Dead State, coordinating your party in real time can become aggravating.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
I quite like the game but it is lacking very basic amenities in UI that haven't been issues since the goddamn 90s. Easily a 2/3 of my time with the game goes into managing allies and inventories. What the fuck kind of game gives you multiple allies but no keyboard key to select either one directly or a multi-select? And they were using a modified RTS version of Torque. What the fuck, DoubleBear? The game needs a major UI upgrade.

Also calling out the ridiculousness of real-time noncombat next to turn-based combat in a party game. A minor annoyance problem in most games with proper UI, but in Dead State, coordinating your party in real time can become aggravating.
I agree that the UI is lacking. Using TAB to switch between actors is quite useful though.
But why would you need multiselect? I either let them walk as a group or press J and position each unit individually if I sense danger beforehand.

And I don't get the part with real-time mixed with TB in a party game. Ridiculous? Whut? :0/5:

Last edited:
Why do you even need Turn Based then?

RTwP outside combat would fit tactical TB party games so much better.

Multiselect so I can send two allies one way and two allies another concurrently without playing manboonary with the controls. Imagine playing JA2 without multiselect or direct selections. Manboonary.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Why do you even need Turn Based then?

RTwP outside combat would fit tactical TB party games so much better.

Multiselect so I can send two allies one way and two allies another concurrently without playing manboonary with the controls. Imagine playing JA2 without multiselect or direct selections. Manboonary.
JA1? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom