Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can have gone pretty much everywhere interesting, built everything, made the shelter mostly self-sufficient, killed all the humans you care to, and gotten utterly sick of searching drawers and hauling loot by like day 25, which is not even the halfway point. They should have given you some proactive stuff to do that makes the game end when you've done the shit that's worth doing.
Good point. I'll check in which day I am to see how actually possible is the scenario you say. I think day 25 is a bit too early, but day 50 sounds perfectly doable and as far as I've read in forums the "end game event" is around
day 80

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can have gone pretty much everywhere interesting, built everything, made the shelter mostly self-sufficient, killed all the humans you care to, and gotten utterly sick of searching drawers and hauling loot by like day 25, which is not even the halfway point. They should have given you some proactive stuff to do that makes the game end when you've done the shit that's worth doing.
Reading your post and matching to other people's experiences (and my own with EA) and I think a big problem is that you actually leave the base and go looting every day or nearly every day. If loot trips were spread over 50-100 days it would make the game a lot more interesting.

Given the strategy/base building component, if you look at other popular strategy games like Civilization or Paradox games, or even Total War, you usually spend a good number of turns just clicking end turn (or just hitting 4x speed in Paradox and waiting). Some kind of tiredness mechanic or if going out looting basically guaranteeing long term injuries that need to be treated, or even totally rethinking the travel mechanics (so looting parties are gone for multiple days).

When you are maximizing looting every single day that means all other events need to be compressed to fill the same amount of time but then that kill verisimilitude.

Atchodas

Augur
So lets make it clear :
To craft shit my pc needs to be post apo nerd? Or i will have wait some time for the lab right ? how much time is that ? , how much of Science Mechanics i need for the lab and can i squeeze this crap into an AR combatant build ?

Also this scavenging stuff , do i have to skip some days doing nothing just sitting in the base so i dont scavenge everything by the day 20 ? Because i will loot everything very fast if i play it normaly like i would in any other game . How frequently i should chill in the base so i have stuff to scavenge untill day 80 or w/e when game ends

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also this scavenging stuff , do i have to skip some days doing nothing just sitting in the base so i dont scavenge everything by the day 20 ? Because i will loot everything very fast if i play it normaly like i would in any other game . How frequently i should chill in the base so i have stuff to scavenge untill day 80 or w/e when game ends
There's no reason not to scavenge quickly, it's not like your guys will eat faster if they have more food. Also there are a tremendous number of locations so don't get the idea that you're going to make 20 trips and then the map will be empty.

Mortmal

Arcane
So lets make it clear :
To craft shit my pc needs to be post apo nerd? Or i will have wait some time for the lab right ? how much time is that ? , how much of Science Mechanics i need for the lab and can i squeeze this crap into an AR combatant build ?

You don't need too, you will find enough post apo nerds on your way. You'll be able to craft good stuff when you will really need it for the encounters with army guys and mercenaries.During my playthrough i never chill in the base as theres indeed ton of content on the map. People underestimate the amount of stuff theres on it, there's also timed npc who will die after a few weeks if not discovered.

Atchodas

Augur
Thanks for quick answers , sounds very promising now off to some russian site to look for region free steam key for 10 $ :D

Atchodas

Augur
Well it means it will cost no more than 7$ in russian reseller sites then :D , feel like getting a bargain here lol

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
There's no reason not to scavenge quickly, it's not like your guys will eat faster if they have more food. Also there are a tremendous number of locations so don't get the idea that you're going to make 20 trips and then the map will be empty.

Yes, there are around 100 locations in the map plus 65 random encounter maps.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Yes, there are around 100 locations in the map plus 65 random encounter maps.
Did you actually hand-place the loot in all 100 areas? Or is the distribution algorithm so good?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
We manually assigned lootlists in all locations. There's randomization inside the lootlist based on rarity set by the designer, but each list was handplaced to reflect the type of object. Each list was made to reflect the kind of loot you would find in that container, like fridges, cars, bags, bedstands, ambulances, types of stores... There are more than 250 lootlists to choose from.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also there are a tremendous number of locations so don't get the idea that you're going to make 20 trips and then the map will be empty.

David Gaider said he ran out of content well before day 80, but he spends his leisure time modding strategy games to make 'em harder so he's not the typical player. :P

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also there are a tremendous number of locations so don't get the idea that you're going to make 20 trips and then the map will be empty.
David Gaider said he ran out of content well before day 80, but he spends his leisure time modding strategy games to make 'em harder so he's not the typical player. :P
Oh, I'm not saying there isn't time to see everything, maybe even plenty of time. But Atchodas seemed worried he was going to clear the map right away and then have nothing to do. That's really not possible.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
We manually assigned lootlists in all locations. There's randomization inside the lootlist based on rarity set by the designer, but each list was handplaced to reflect the type of object. Each list was made to reflect the kind of loot you would find in that container, like fridges, cars, bags, bedstands, ambulances, types of stores... There are more than 250 lootlists to choose from.
:greatjob:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Oh, I'm not saying there isn't time to see everything, maybe even plenty of time. But Atchodas seemed worried he was going to clear the map right away and then have nothing to do. That's really not possible.
Once I got the car, around day 20, I had cleared the entire map by day 35. This is my fault - I rushed to loot locations because I thought the game was ~50 days and not 100. I was also playing on hardcore, ironman and PC infection and had an extremely low morale, so I had to rush to raise it back up. I also didn't really know how to actually end the game; I thought you ended it by discovering a way to leave and not by waiting for an event that forces you to evacuate. So I guess my speed was based on my misconceptions about a lot of things and it made the second half of the game a bit frustrating, but it was my fault and I still enjoyed it a lot.

Gozma

Arcane
Once I got the car, around day 20, I had cleared the entire map by day 35. This is my fault - I rushed to loot locations because I thought the game was ~50 days and not 100. I was also playing on hardcore, ironman and PC infection and had an extremely low morale, so I had to rush to raise it back up. I also didn't really know how to actually end the game; I thought you ended it by discovering a way to leave and not by waiting for an event that forces you to evacuate. So I guess my speed was based on my misconceptions about a lot of things and it made the second half of the game a bit frustrating, but it was my fault and I still enjoyed it a lot.

In retrospect once I had the systems down, I can see how it could have been compressed even more. For one thing, in a day of manic looting you will probably pick up three energy drinks, which means you can wait to return to the shelter until just before 3AM and be ready to go the next day after throwing energy drink on your combat followers, with no penalty I know of. I played like coming in at 8:15 PM was a big mistake and never bothered to count that I had 50 energy drinks sitting around. I just got the car running early, so places-to-go ran out fast.

I think it's very difficult to pull off a design where you don't have any way to proactively force an ending and you're just supposed to wait. It's like if Civilization had no win states and you always played until 2100 AD.

agris

Arcane
Patron
A way to dynamically scale the triggering of the time-dependent end-state would definitely make it better. At least, according to what I've read. I still haven't really played it beyond the 7 days demo :X

Atchodas

Augur
You activate them from Russia or does it still works via vpn ?
Such games are usually drm free and doesnt need any vpn's you just need a cd-key in the end or steam gift / trade with russia should work i guess , never tried trading tho but had stuff gifted .
My country borders russia just in case so steam doesnt care too much really i guess, because that is what everyone been doing for past few years ( Russia region prices are way better than EU , Pillars sold for 17$ in some russian sites since day 1 with pre order bonuses etc )
Ah.. and you need to read cirilica ofc. to understand anything on the site tho

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Picked up the game again and restarted with all 3 harcore settings checked and a melee build. I'm a glutton for punishment. :stupid:

10AP are more than enough to dispose of zombies in 1 turn though, so far at least.
The start of the story still feels very uneven. You shouldn't be allowed to ration food and make any big decision in the shelter before Davis has the talk with you (the one I just had on I believe day 4 where he told me that I should be in charge) but whatever.
AI is complete garbage, looters are nearly as retarded when it comes to doors as zombies.
and minor nickpick: I really don't know why the game gives me the impression that the fence is repaired when it really isn't.
Thought I would be clever to just repair it up to 50% or so because then the message that it would still be broken vanishes.
But my inmates were not impressed, suffered another morale penalty the end of the day. :argh:
The game is hard, really fucking hard. Dunno if I'll be able to survive and keep up morale long enough. :incline:

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Wait till you get to the first Coyotes and I'll tell ya about looters and their AI :martini:

Not to mention the next "tier" enemies who can actually one shot you if you're not careful and toss grenades miles away. %&$%&$%&

ColCol

Arcane
Man, I love Sir Charles. He sucks at combat, but the man is a walking zombie door stop.

ColCol

Arcane
Day 60. Doing the hotel mission now for loot, Christ what a fucking ordeal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom